Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Danny K
DIS Veteran

Onsite for 7 days, or Offsite for 10 days.

I will be going to disney in the summer. I don't know if its better to stay onsite and go for 7 full days, or offsite and go for 10 full days. Which is a better choice?
Danny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

I would do onsite, if you've never been. I would squeak in 10 days onsite, if it were possible. If you've been before, I might stay offsite.
If you stay onsite, where did you plan to stay. Kids? Etc.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(11) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ SURPRISE little one born Aug. '13

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

As great as the Disney resorts are,if staying offsite means an extra 3 days I'm staying offsite.As long as it's a good hotel that would be my choice.If this is a rare trip and you want to get the full Disney experience then I would suggest considering staying onsite.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

I go to WDW several times a year and used to always stay onsite. In fact, I always said if I couldn't stay onsite I wouldn't go. Then last Oct just a few weeks before our trip, a coworker offered me a week in her timeshare over in Westlake Town Center in a one bedroom villa for just $400.00 for the week. It was just a mile outside the WDW gates. It was too good of a deal to pass up, so we canceled the WDW ressie we had and decided to give offsite one try. We fell in love with all the extra space and I had to eat my words about preferring onsite to offsite. Unless we get a super deal for an onsite resort, I can't see us ever staying onsite again. After the Oct/Nov trip I came straight home and started looking at other offsite options. I then canceled my May onsite ressie and rebooked Wyndham Bonnet Creek through a third party. I think I've finally found my resort home. We got a one bedroom fully equipped villa with full size fridge, stove, microwave, blender, dishes/pots/pans, etc, washer/dryer, jacuzzi tub, walk in shower, living room, dining table, two TVs, King size bed, fold out couch, at a Deluxe resort with six pools, multiple hot tubs, kids water play area, two lazy rivers, free mini golf course, etc for just $89.00 per night. That's cheaper than a WDW Value resort. Just a few days ago I started requesting quotes for a Sept and a Dec trip for another one bedroom at Bonnet Creek. Thus far the prices are ranging $60.00-$100.00 per night. Wyndham Bonnet Creek is inside the Disney gates, just not owned by Disney. We rent a car anyway, so are not interested in utilizing the Disney buses, and have annual passes, so don't have to pay to park at the parks. Bonnet Creek is right next door to CBR, so closer to the parks than alot of the Disney owned resorts. We love all the extra space and the fact that it is a Deluxe resort with cheaper pricing than the WDW value resorts makes it a no brainer for us.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
Danny K
DIS Veteran

If I stay onsite, I will stay at Polynesian if I can get the price $220 or less per night, otherwise I will stay at Pop Century.
Danny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #6
GoofyWithGlasses
Mouseketeer

Staying in Disney definitely has it's perks, but we used to stay offsite, and found it much easier (especially if you stay on I-Drive) to do other things, go shopping, and if you drive anyway, it shouldn't make that much difference Besides, EMH aren't what they used to be, and the buses can be very unreliable! lol.

Check out my blog!

http://www.goofywithglasses.blogspot.com
GoofyWithGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
If I stay onsite, I will stay at Polynesian if I can get the price $220 or less per night, otherwise I will stay at Pop Century.
Considering a garden view room at the Poly was $485 rack rate this May, I highly doubt you will get it for $220/night. That would be a 55% discount. I'm sure the rack rates will be even higher next year.

If you stay offsite you also have to factor in a car rental and parking. So that might make up the difference and you can still do 10 nights at POP. But, if your family needs space and 10 nights at POP will have you at each other's throats, I'd go for offsite.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will be going to disney in the summer. I don't know if its better to stay onsite and go for 7 full days, or offsite and go for 10 full days. Which is a better choice?
Keep in mind that you're paying a room premium for convenience, not for room luxury. Honestly, deluxe rooms are not that much different than your typical Motel 6 rooms. I know some people think that by paying $450 a night will get them Ritz Carlton-type amenities, but that's far from the case. The flip side is, for example, if you stay at an Epcot resort you can walk to both HS and Epcot. And for all the complaints about the busses, they're really not that bad. And Magical Express is a huge plus for us.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
Wcpedorc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
10 days offsite, hands down its worth it, onsite is nice but for the cost we almost always stay offsite, unless we get a smokin deal.
Wcpedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Danny- i think before you commit to a resort, you need to think about your travel plans. I remember that you wanted to return to the resort every day at lunchtime. If you still want to do this, will you have a vehicle? I have heard that offsite transportation is not as fast as Disney onsite service. And I worried about your lunch plans even then.

There is a happy medium between the the Poly and offsite, so crunch numbers and then see if you can have the 10 days if you consider a less expensive onsite resort. You mentioned POP, and while I have not priced it out, I do know the difference in cost between the two is measurable.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Onsite for seven, for me would win hands down. Especially during the summer if you want to come and go during the day/evening I absolutely can not imagine choosing to drive back and forth off site with the heat and crowds.

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We have done both. Our first trip to Disney was offsite, followed by 2 big family trips a few years later to Orlando (not Disney-centered) when we rented a vacation home for everyone to stay together. As much as I loved the Orlando trips and enjoyed the vacation homes, for Disney-centered trips, it would be onsite for us without hesitation (even if it meant staying less nights). If breaks are needed throughout the day and/or you just feel like heading back to the resort for an hour or two, staying onsite would be a lot more convenient. Good luck with your decision and have a great trip.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
I go to WDW several times a year and used to always stay onsite. In fact, I always said if I couldn't stay onsite I wouldn't go. Then last Oct just a few weeks before our trip, a coworker offered me a week in her timeshare over in Westlake Town Center in a one bedroom villa for just $400.00 for the week. It was just a mile outside the WDW gates. It was too good of a deal to pass up, so we canceled the WDW ressie we had and decided to give offsite one try. We fell in love with all the extra space and I had to eat my words about preferring onsite to offsite. Unless we get a super deal for an onsite resort, I can't see us ever staying onsite again. After the Oct/Nov trip I came straight home and started looking at other offsite options. I then canceled my May onsite ressie and rebooked Wyndham Bonnet Creek through a third party. I think I've finally found my resort home. We got a one bedroom fully equipped villa with full size fridge, stove, microwave, blender, dishes/pots/pans, etc, washer/dryer, jacuzzi tub, walk in shower, living room, dining table, two TVs, King size bed, fold out couch, at a Deluxe resort with six pools, multiple hot tubs, kids water play area, two lazy rivers, free mini golf course, etc for just $89.00 per night. That's cheaper than a WDW Value resort. Just a few days ago I started requesting quotes for a Sept and a Dec trip for another one bedroom at Bonnet Creek. Thus far the prices are ranging $60.00-$100.00 per night. Wyndham Bonnet Creek is inside the Disney gates, just not owned by Disney. We rent a car anyway, so are not interested in utilizing the Disney buses, and have annual passes, so don't have to pay to park at the parks. Bonnet Creek is right next door to CBR, so closer to the parks than alot of the Disney owned resorts. We love all the extra space and the fact that it is a Deluxe resort with cheaper pricing than the WDW value resorts makes it a no brainer for us.
This would be a good " off site" location while still being in wdw. I think I read they have park transportation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Keep in mind that you're paying a room premium for convenience, not for room luxury. Honestly, deluxe rooms are not that much different than your typical Motel 6 rooms. I know some people think that by paying $450 a night will get them Ritz Carlton-type amenities, but that's far from the case. The flip side is, for example, if you stay at an Epcot resort you can walk to both HS and Epcot. And for all the complaints about the busses, they're really not that bad. And Magical Express is a huge plus for us.
Sorry to disagree, but that's a bit of an exaggeration, no, they aren't Ritz Carlton, but they aren't motel 6 either!

Quote:
That's a jump, Poly or Pop? For a 10 day stay, without knowing how many in your family, what about Por or POFQ? WL or AKL? They would all come in under $200 with a summer discount. Just an idea.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
herb102211
DIS Veteran

I personally would stay onsite. We stayed offsite once and it was ok, but we definitely prefer staying onsite. The fact that Disney pretty much handles everything from luggage to transportation, etc is one of the reasons we always stay on site. Its all preference though. If you dont mind renting a car and driving to the parks and you can get a great deal offsite then go for it. For us, the convenience outweighs the prices. Enjoy your trip!

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club 11/14- AoA
Me (28) DH (29)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
ptlohmysoul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Not knowing any other info, I would say on-site for 7. If you are flying definitely on-site. What are your options for staying on-site? The values only? How many are in your party? Ages of kids? If you are definitely driving, then maybe off-site. You will still have fun. But staying on-site in comparable rooms is definitely worth giving up 3 days.
ptlohmysoul is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: