Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

What is the deal with Chef Mickey's??

I am reading horrible reviews on here. It is usually our first night ADR to get all the photos and autographs out of the way, get excited, twirl a napkin and eat some okay buffet food. I never expect gourmet there and my husband and I are foodies but we love the fun atmosphere and the kids are just crazy about it. It wouldn't be the same if we didn't go. I am so nervous as we haven't been there in 2 years and fear we will be so disappointed.

Is anyone still liking it for what it is?
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

We ate there in Dec for dinner and found it the same as in past trips. Although there was not much napkin twirling going on. I think if you go in with the expectations you describe you will be fine.

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne74 View Post
I am reading horrible reviews on here. It is usually our first night ADR to get all the photos and autographs out of the way, get excited, twirl a napkin and eat some okay buffet food. I never expect gourmet there and my husband and I are foodies but we love the fun atmosphere and the kids are just crazy about it. It wouldn't be the same if we didn't go. I am so nervous as we haven't been there in 2 years and fear we will be so disappointed.

Is anyone still liking it for what it is?
People love to post horrible reviews. Don't be scared away. If you love it and it's a tradition for your family then you should go. We went to CM last summer for the first time and loved it!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears

I like it, but as PP said people are more inclined to detail bad experiences than good ones (not just here, society in general). I mean its a buffet so it's not fine dining or anything, but I think the food was pretty good. I also like the layout and how open the area is. I never feel crowded or claustrophobic like I do in some other WDW restaurants. If you can get a reservation, do it!

WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
joshsmom
I baked a cake, put on respectable clothing, and I'm ringing the bell!
Has several really odd traits - typical DISer
I'm a blubbering, sentimental MESS!!!

We've only been to CM once in our 12 years or so of going to Disney. We have an ADR for breakfast and I almost cancelled it after reading bad reviews. But I decided that since DS REALLY wants to go, we are keeping the ADR and taking our chances!
Summer 1989--Off property April 1990--Off property June 1993--Off property September 2001--ASMo April 2003--GKTW January 2004--ASMo May 2005--ASMo May 2006--ASMo May 2007--ASMo August 2008--ASMo May 2010--ASMo November 2010--Contemporary May 2012--ASMu August 2013--ASMo June 2014--ASMu March 2015 Disneyland! Camelot Inn
joshsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

I had an amazing time there both times. We were there in Oct for bfast & had an awesome trip. We were a group of 4 adults. If interested here is my story & pics for both dinner & bfast experiences:

bfast review:

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...ts-review.html

dinner review:

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...ys-review.html

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on WDW Trash cans & custodial show at Tokyo DL!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
grammimouse
Mouseketeer

We have been many times , last one in last October. As you say it is normal buffet food. The characters are great and there are so many photos to be taken. Just go and enjoy yourself. Don't let these boards change your mind. I have seen it too many times --- some people just can' t be pleased. Form your own opinions. I know that I will be there for the fun in September ENJOY
Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
chelseamarie14
Earning My Ears

Chef Mickey's has always been a favorite of my family. I LOVED it when I was a kid, and it's a priority for me to book now. It truly depends on what you are looking for in your experience. If you want unique food held to high standards in a formal setting, you should already know Chef Mickey's isn't this. But it is IMO the best character meal experience Disney has to offer.
chelseamarie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne74 View Post
I am reading horrible reviews on here. It is usually our first night ADR to get all the photos and autographs out of the way, get excited, twirl a napkin and eat some okay buffet food. I never expect gourmet there and my husband and I are foodies but we love the fun atmosphere and the kids are just crazy about it.
Herein lies the problem. This is a Restaurant board that tends to attract people who value food as much if not more than any other part of the WDW experience. The typical traffic here involves DVC owners, annual pass holders, TiW members, and people who go to WDW so often that taking pictures with Mickey is subordinated to the quality of the dining experience. You yourself concede that when you go, you expect to eat "okay buffet food". Well, on this board, for lots of people, "okay buffet food" simply isn't good enough. So you are going to see plenty of negative reviews of the dining element of CM. Think about it. If someone asked you to take character interaction out of the equation and review CM solely on the quality, appearance, variety and taste of the food, coupled with dining atmosphere related to crowdedness and noise, how many stars would you give it? One and a half? Two? Certainly not three or four. "Okay buffet food" isn't worth a three or four star review. Now, when you add in Mickey and friends, the experience moves from "tolerable" to "enjoyable" for a good many people. I'd venture to say the large majority. But to the food purist, CM is too often a sloppy mess that borders on unsanitary based on what little ones do up at the buffet stations. On a food-centric board, this is going to garner negative reviews. Ask the folks over on the Theme Park board and the reviews are likely to rise up to the level of what you might expect.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

I think the bottom line is the "value". The food is not "awful" per se, it's just not anything special "in comparison" to other restaurants in the same price category and if you are paying OOP it's way over-priced for the quality...that's all. If you do not have expectations you will be fine. If you're on the DDP then you don't have to worry about the "over-priced" meal.

If you're planning a celebration don't have expectations either as we did for dd's birthday. Prior to her birthday, we'd see characters and servers singing happy birthday to children with sprinkles of confetti on the table, etc and a signed place mat and a cupcake with a candle, etc...when we went for dd's birthday the only thing she got was the cupcake and candle, no characters, no confetti, no singing (except for us singing to her )--she was lucky she got the cupcake/candle and for a breakfast price tag of well over $75 for a party of 3 WITH a TIW discount, we felt it was not worth it! (that would be over $100 if we didn't have the TIW)...I just think this is outrageous for breakfast. That's the "issue" I have with CM. ...and when the characters "zip" by so quickly it just lowers the value that much more.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
mum2four
DIS Veteran

We just had dinner at Chef Mickey's last week and loved it! Food was good and character interaction was great. One of our best memories of the trip! We didn't find the restaurant messy at all and we were actually seated before our ADR time. Don't worry about - go and have fun!
mum2four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

We have never had a problem with the food at CM. Honestly, it's not gourmet. It is a character buffet and I think many people go in with the wrong expectation. We have always found that there is plenty of food available and it's always been hot.

The only issue we have with this meal is that it always feels really loud in there. It gets very busy an the tables are fairly close together.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
WIDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

We have eaten at CM many times in the past and have an ADR for later this summer as well. As others have posted this is a restaurant that is more about the experience than the food. While the food is not bad, it is buffet food and not at the level you would expect outside of Disney for its price point. As long as you understand what CM is then to me and my family it is worth it.

Enjoy!
Bay Lake Tower 7/10,7/11,8/12,7/13,8/14,12/14 - Kidani Village 12/10 - Polynesian GVC 8/03,7/04,6/07,7/08 LVC 7/06, GV 7/09 - Wilderness Lodge 6/05,7/08 - All Star Movies 1/09 - All Star Sports 11/14 - Doubletree Downtown Disney 12/07
WIDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
tinkerbell1984
Mouseketeer

We ate there May 19....I LOVED it. The food was better and more variety then CP, which shocked me. I too was worried due to reviews. We had an 11 am breakfast reservation...Met all the characters super fast also....I was very impressed.
tinkerbell1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

we love it
Been lots of times, I personally prefer breakfast to dinner but each meal has been great
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: