Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
skatalite
Anybody interested in grabbing a couple of burgers and hittin' the cemetery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemys View Post
I am saving for a house so I really didn't want to spend $60 a month on different dating sites, but I might have to do that. The "no pets" means I don't have them personally. .

Maybe say " I go to church regularly" versus every week? Or not mention how often I go at all?
The term regularly means "every week" to me, since services are typically once or twice a week for the average church.

Don't get too nitpicky, because then you'll start seeing problems with your profile that aren't really there. Ya know?

Speaking of church, though: Some churches here have singles mingle evenings and events. Does your church offer anything like that? Might be worth looking into if that sounds like something that you might like.
skatalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
emer95
DIS Veteran

I'm not a man, but I hope you don't mind my input.

I noticed a typo. In your About Me section it says "on my one" and I think you meant to say "in my own."

You're a very beautiful woman! I honestly thought the last picture was of a different person. You look SO much younger without your glasses! Please don't take that the wrong way! The one pic of you and your (adorable) daughters you have a glare on your glasses that really detracts from your pretty eyes. I noticed that on a picture of myself once, so I started buying anti reflective lenses.
I hope I didn't say anything hurtful. I sincerely wish you the best!
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #18
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I'm a guy. Remove princess from the profile. It reeks of high maintenance. Past the age of 7 you should only describe yourself as a princess if someone's death can make you queen.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #19
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
Are you sure about the pets thing? If I saw that, I assume it meant you don't want pets, not that you don't have them. Are there other options?
Yes. Those are details about me.

ceemys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #20
skatalite
Anybody interested in grabbing a couple of burgers and hittin' the cemetery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I'm a guy. Remove princess from the profile. It reeks of high maintenance. Past the age of 7 you should only describe yourself as a princess if someone's death can make you queen.
skatalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #21
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemys
I am saving for a house so I really didn't want to spend $60 a month on different dating sites, but I might have to do that. The "no pets" means I don't have them personally. .

Maybe say " I go to church regularly" versus every week? Or not mention how often I go at all?
Personally I wouldn't even mention it. If someone actually takes the time to get to know you they can discover all the amazing things about you. I would keep things really brief. These kinds of sites make it easy to just flip through profile after profile. You don't want to give anyone an excuse to eliminate you before getting to know you.

I think the biggest thing is the pics. The picture on the far right is the best one. You look softer and more approachable. I think you want to have a full body shot because you do have a nice figure but maybe one where you look a little more relaxed and you're having fun. And then have some close ups on your face. Look at other people's pictures to see what you like. I notice no one looks bad when you hold the camera a little higher looking down and you look up at it a bit.

I would just leave the pets bit blank if you can.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #22
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemys

Youre very detailed about your description of yourself. I would honestly be a bit more vague.

I wouldnt go into detail about your religion or how often you go to church to be honest. I wouldnt mention it.

Definitely lose the first two pics...esp of ones that include your kids! And get rid of the princess bit.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #23
JessB320
DIS Veteran

If you decide to use a paid site, Christian mingle may be one to look at
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emer95 View Post
I'm not a man, but I hope you don't mind my input.

I noticed a typo. In your About Me section it says "on my one" and I think you meant to say "in my own."
Yikes. Got it corrected.
You're a very beautiful woman! I honestly thought the last picture was of a different person. You look SO much younger without your glasses! Please don't take that the wrong way! The one pic of you and your (adorable) daughters you have a glare on your glasses that really detracts from your pretty eyes. I noticed that on a picture of myself once, so I started buying anti reflective lenses.
I hope I didn't say anything hurtful. I sincerely wish you the best!
I straightened my hair. I sure wish I qualified for LASIK surgery or if I cold wear contacts but nope! My daughter took the picture and it took three tries because I see double and was looking at the extra person and to her! Lol

Old 05-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #25
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Okay, I will give it a shot here.

PHOTOS:
Skip the first two photos... Definitely... Without question.
The second are the way you should be going.
The first, while it does show your curves, etc... is stark black and white. Not fresh and alive.
The second is good, because it is happy, casual, and has the bright red color. ( I have heard ALL of these are very, very, highly recommended )
If the second one showed a bit more of your feminine shape, it would be really great.

DO NOT show any kids at all.

THE 'PRINCESS' THING....
I do see that you explained this in what you wrote.
But, honestly, after seeing the first two photos, seeing the 'Princess', and the 'every week involved in church' thing. I don't think many men have even gotten far enough thru your profile to see that explanation.

PERSONALITY:
Again, delete the princess thing... Totally....
Describe your personality truthfully, but in a positive light.
Such as: "outgoing" or "easygoing" etc....

We know that your kids and your faith might be very important parts of your life. But, what has to come FIRST are the positive things about you and your life that would apply directly to your relationship with a man, dating a man, etc... If it sounds like these are huge priorities and come first (even though, in a way, they might) and if the guy is lucky, he may see you on every third Tuesday. Not going to be much incentive there.

Leave them wanting to know MORE...
Not convey your life in total, wrapped up 100% in kids and religion.

BODY TYPE:
You have written 'average'.
Okay, what guy, looking at a number of women, will want to say he picked the 'average'. one. Find a way to list/describe your body type, other than 'average'... How about your height/weight.. followed with a few words of more positive description.

DETAILS:
The above means that you take your specific height out of the 'details'.
I would also suggest that you take the reference to Catholic out of those initial details. Can you put more general and more descriptive words/phrases here. Instead of your specific height and religious affiliation?

Maybe you can mention that your family and your faith are important to you... but then leave it at that. Limited...

Lastly, where you mention that you are looking for "that special someone who can treat you and your family....."
That should read with a more positive, and less one-sided outlook.
How about: "that special person, where we can respect and appreciate the good things that we bring to each others lives".

Last edited by Wishing on a star; 05-27-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #26
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatalite View Post

I am not a guy either, but figured I'd throw my two cents in, too.

Is the first picture of you at work? With the glasses and white button down (?up) shirt? I actually like that if it is, as it shows that side of you. Then you have a couple of "let your hair down" type shots that show you in a more casual state. I like the idea of pics showing you doing some fun things you enjoy doing, and maybe even one of you really dressed up. As a photographer, I will say I'm not wild about the backgrounds of the last two pics (even tho the guys here apparently aren't looking at that!) and would prefer to see something shot outside in a nice setting with natural light, etc.

I agree that it would be worth it in the long run to use a good quality dating site.

I'd also encourage you to "be yourself", even if it takes longer to find a match. For instance, I don't think you should show yourself as "flirty" if you're not that way naturally, as the person you're meeting may expect that based on your pictures, and could be disappointed if you're shy, say.

Definitely fix the typo. You could also make your responses a little more colorful, or interesting, too. "Princess" could be off-putting, but what about something like "Disney princess in my dreams" (or maybe just skip the princess part altogether, lol). "No pets" could be "Not at this time, but I love animals". (If you do.) "Average" could be "Fit" and/or "Health Conscious". I can't pull up the others but I'm sure you know what I mean.

I give you a lot of credit for putting yourself out there, and wish you lots of luck!

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #27
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I see nothing at all wrong about talking about church or mentioning your children. Although you might want to get rid of their pictures.

The "Princess" thing has to go.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #28
ceemys
DIS Veteran

I removed the first two photos. I put dates on the other two showing they are recent. I changed princess to Artsy. I did have free thinker, but not sure what that can relay. I will find another one of me out and about in color or with my colts jersey. Even though i am on this site looking for someone , Should I mention that as part of my goal?

How about this?

I am a devoted Mom to my two wonderful kids who are 5 and 14. I have a great job that I love. I enjoy movies, bowling, putt putting, sewing, just to name a few things. I go to the Colt's games often and tailgating is a total blast! We also head to a Pacers game every now and then. My goals are to be a great parent and to continue to advance my certifications in my career. I'm not a super adventurer on my own but I am willing to try new things. I love DIY projects. My father is a carpenter and has passed that gene to me.

I am looking for that someone special who can respect me and treat my family right. I chose Artsy as my personality but I don't like to paint myself into a corner on only one type of personality.

Last edited by ceemys; 05-27-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #29
sookie
DIS Veteran

Take off the kid pictures. I would not make that the first line in your profile either. I'm sorry, but you want to keep creepers who are just looking for ladies with kids away from you. Also - even though being a mom will always be #1, you don't want someone to hear that the minute they open your profile. But seriously - creepers. They are out there.
Take off the princess stuff.
I would tone down the religious - that can be discussed over the dates.
Put up pictures that only have YOU in them.

I'm a lady but that is just what jumps out at me.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #30
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemys View Post
I am a devoted Mom to my two wonderful kids who are 5 and 14. I have a great job that I love. I enjoy movies, bowling, putt putting, sewing, just to name a few things. I go to the Colt's games often and tailgating is a total blast! We also head to a Pacers game every now and then. My goals are to be a great parent and to continue to advance my certifications in my career. I'm not a super adventurer on my own but I am willing to try new things. I love DIY projects. My father is a carpenter and has passed that gene to me.
The first part is much better! More open and positive!

I like the DIY thing too.
That is a good trait if somebody has the ability to bring a DIY project, an idea and a vision, to completion with a great result.
I think I would leave out that last sentence though.
Again, way too specific... and involving somebody other than yourself.

I think the photo with the Jersey is also probably a great idea.
DO delete the first two photos

Tweak all of this, and try a different/better site... You may be surprised!
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: