Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Men, (or women) need honest (but nice) advice. Updated in post one

I need some constructive criticism. I have had my profile up on a dating site for about 2 weeks and there is zero interest. . I have emailed men but none has returned any of my emails. Can you see below and tell me if ther is something you see that is totally off putting? I just don't understand. . Thanks!
If I'm not allowed to post this stuff, I apologize. Let me know and I will delete.

Updated profile below. I removed the first two pictures, changed my expectation to dating and updated the profile.

HI! I'm A 46-year-old from Fishers, IN. I'm looking for that someone special. I decided to choose "artsy" as my personality, but I don't like to paint myself into a corner on my profile personality.

I have a great job that I love in software testing. I enjoy movies, bowling, mini golf and sewing, just to name a few things. I love DIY projects. I go to the Colts games often and tailgating is a blast! I also head to a Pacers game every now and then. My goals are to enjoy life and to continue to advance my certifications in my career. I'm not super adventurous on my own but I am willing to try new things with the right person. I am a Mom to my two wonderful kids, 5 and 14, who are great at keeping me on my toes!

I am looking for that someone special who I can share special moments with, someone to hold hands, someone who is looking for the same.

Last edited by ceemys; 05-28-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Updating profile.
ceemys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemys View Post
I need some constructive criticism. I have had my profile up on a dating site for about 2 weeks and there is zero interest. . I have emailed men but none has returned any of my emails. Can you see below and tell me if ther is something you see that is totally off putting? I just don't understand. . Thanks!
If I'm not allowed to post this stuff, I apologize. Let me know and I will delete.

I'm not a male but I took a look at your profile. The one thing that jumps out at me is the word Princess for personality type. To me, and this is just my opinion, that screams high maintenence. It may be the furthest thing from the truth, but that's what I see.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
low-key
DIS Veteran

I think it looks good, I like the 2nd two pics and the first 2, not so much

Last edited by low-key; 05-27-2013 at 10:40 PM.
low-key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

My first two thoughts were get rid of the princess and show more va va voom

Let him know the princess part later.

Last edited by Sgt Mickey; 05-27-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: ETA also not a male.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Hi! Also not a male, but things I noticed

1) I wouldn't have pics of your kids in it--not that it would turn a guy off, but I just think that is better for your kids' safety and privacy.

2) I think that it is good that you have a shot of your whole body, as well as ones closer of your face. I think even better would be to have some photos that you say when they were taken--like "this is from a party i went to in March 2013". That way guys know the photos are recent.

Another thought might be to have photos of you doing the things that you like to do, and that the guy could see you doing together. If you like to ski, maybe include a picture of you skiing--especially if it was at a particularly spectacular place. Since you mention you like to do woodwork, if you have pictures of you working on a specific project, etc. Or do you have pictures of you from a Colt's game--wearing a Colt's hat/t shirt/etc.?

Good Luck!
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post

I'm not a male but I took a look at your profile. The one thing that jumps out at me is the word Princess for personality type. To me, and this is just my opinion, that screams high maintenence. It may be the furthest thing from the truth, but that's what I see.
Not a male either but that's the first thing that popped out at me too. Princess = high-maintenance and spoiled in guy-speak.
sonnyjane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
NikitaZee
DIS Veteran

Just showed my dh ... he said almost exactly what low-key did, although his advice was don't use the first two pics and leave the second two.
NikitaZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
skatalite
Anybody interested in grabbing a couple of burgers and hittin' the cemetery?

I'm a guy, and I just looked at the screen shots you provided.

I agree with most everyone else: describe your personality in another way. If I saw "princess" as any woman's personality type, I'd promptly move on to someone else.

Also, if you're using Plenty of Fish, I suggest trying other sites, especially pay sites. I've had friends use PoF with severely lackluster results. So, it might not be you, it could be them! :D
skatalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I didn't think of those. I removed the first two pics. Changed my description to free thinker. ( I really don't fit into one defining character). I will find some pics of me tailgating and I will update with dates.

Last edited by ceemys; 05-27-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

According to my DD, who has used dating websites, Plenty of Fish is not a good site to find a good relationship. She tried it and just got interest from weirdoes. She used E-Harmony and Match and has met some really nice guys. In fact, she has been dating a really nice guy for some time now.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Not a male either but here are my suggestions...get rid of the Princess bit. Guys read that and hear high maintenance. You said no pets. You're cutting out a huge segment of the population right there. Make things a little more vague. Like you state that you are a regular church goer. That's ok but some people might read too much into it. Like maybe say you're a Christian but you don't want people to think you are a religious fanatic. No group shots. Just pics of you. And they should be flirty pics that show off your best features. Even if you have to get a friend and take a dozen photos until you get two or three hot photos. It's nice to mention you have kids but I would keep that brief too. You want to come off as fun dating material and not as much someone's Mom. Like its great to be a Mom but you don't want that to be all people think of when they see you.

Good luck. It can be scary to get back out there but you will find your way.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
I'm a guy, and I just looked at the screen shots you provided.

I agree with most everyone else: describe your personality in another way. If I saw "princess" as any woman's personality type, I'd promptly move on to someone else.

Also, if you're using Plenty of Fish, I suggest trying other sites, especially pay sites. I've had friends use PoF with severely lackluster results. So, it might not be you, it could be them! :D
I have at least half a dozen friends that got married through match.com!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
ceemys
DIS Veteran

I am saving for a house so I really didn't want to spend $60 a month on different dating sites, but I might have to do that. The "no pets" means I don't have them personally. .

Maybe say " I go to church regularly" versus every week? Or not mention how often I go at all?

Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemys View Post
I am saving for a house so I really didn't want to spend $60 a month on different dating sites, but I might have to do that. The "no pets" means I don't have them personally. .

?
Really? If I saw that, I assume it meant you don't want pets, not that you don't have them. Are there other options?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Agree with using a paid site versus a free site. You read a lot of stories of people who aren't there for the right reasons using free sites. A person who makes the investment of a paid site is more likely to be there to find a relationship.

FWIW, I found my husband online using a paid subscription site.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: