Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #76
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?
 
Feralpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Windermere, FL
Posts: 18,250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
Anyone who lives in FL ever get tired or bored of Disney? That is one of my fears when we move, is that it will become too "normal" for us.
I've lived here nine years. I still love my time in the parks, but I don't go anywhere near as often as I did when we first moved to Windermere.

The nice part is that you don't feel pressure to go or to do a great deal when you go. I go when I'm in the mood. While there, I do just what I want. If I get tired or the lines are too long, I leave. I can always go back at any time.

Often, when I do visit a park, I simply people watch or stroll around. I only ride rides with very short wait times. I am more into the atmosphere than the rides now days.
__________________
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #77
Art 1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida/Ontario
Posts: 6,882

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
Anyone who lives in FL ever get tired or bored of Disney? That is one of my fears when we move, is that it will become too "normal" for us.
I haven't tired of going, I go often for lunch and rarely stay more than 2 hrs at at a time.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #78
~Brandy~
Now closer to the mouse!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
When we moved to Orlando 35 years ago from the frozen north, all our friends wailed "HOW ARE YOU GOING TO STAND ALL THAT HEAT AND HUMIDITY???"

Well, I've never had to shovel two feet of heat and humidity off my driveway; I've never had to scrape an inch of heat and humidity off my windshield; I've never had to drive 5 mph because the roads were covered with heat and humidity; my roof has never collapsed from three feet of heat and humidity; I've never slipped on the heat and humidity on the sidewalk and broken my tailbone; and my water pipes have never burst from the heat and humidity.

That usually shuts them up real fast....
As a Minnesotan that wants to relocate and is hearing this... I love it.
~Brandy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #79
Neesy228
DIS Veteran
 
Neesy228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 2,169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post

I haven't tired of going, I go often for lunch and rarely stay more than 2 hrs at at a time.
I can't even imagine....just the thought of being able to do that makes me a little dizzy! That's awesome.
__________________
___________________________________________
In the end, only three things matter:
How much you loved, how greatly you lived, and how gracefully you let go of the things not meant for you.





Neesy228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #80
amsyw
I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse. ~Walt Disney
 
amsyw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ozark, MO
Posts: 448

I have enjoyed reading this thread (only found it today). We live in Missouri, which my DH and I lovingly call "Misery". We have dreamed of moving to Florida for years. He has a job that has many locations and have kept in touch with the location in Jacksonville, FL, just waiting for a job opening that would be acceptable. We always thought we would move around the time that DS17 graduated from HS. He will be a senior this coming year. Well, a month ago a job was posted and DH applied. He got a call last Wednesday and is going down next week for an in-person interview. I am beyond excited!! If he gets the job it will be hard to begin with. I will stay here until DS graduates, so we will have to live apart for almost a year. They are wanting to have the position filled by August, and I would need to be here until mid May 2014. But the company will pay for us to move and will help with selling our house. We hope that DS's and I would be able to go down a few times during the year. We also would be going into this move with the attitude that if we don't like it he would always have a job to come back to. Of course, I hope we love it. My parents are getting older so they are my only concern at this point. I think they will visit regularly as they are semi-retired. I think at some point I could convince them to move down or at least be snow birds. My parents are extremely close to both my boys so I think they would want to be nearer to us. My DS17 hasn't decided where he will be going to college yet but has always hoped to go to U of F in Gainesville. So that would be nice for us to be closer to him as well.

I'm just so excited for anyone following their dreams and taking the big step of moving from your comfort zone and taking on a new adventure. I CAN NOT wait to start ours!! Congrats to you and good luck to us!!
__________________
Alisa DH DS(17) DS (8)
2013 Trip to see the new Fantasyland! . 2011 WDW to see DS15 Play with his HS Marching Band! .2010 Last-Minute Trip to the World! .
2009 Happy 4th B-day Gavinn! .2007 Suprise the Kids Trip .2006 Baby DS's 1st Trip - Happy 1st Birthday! .
2004 The Just Because Trip w/Nana & Papa in tow! yah! .2002 DH's 1st Trip .2000 Oldest DS's 1st Trip .
1982 My 1st (and only) Trip to DL .1980 My 1st Trip to WDW! I've never been the same since!
amsyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #81
ilovefh
Is it Disney time yet?
 
ilovefh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NH
Posts: 2,378

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
Anyone who lives in FL ever get tired or bored of Disney? That is one of my fears when we move, is that it will become too "normal" for us.
We're definitely not tired of Disney! We've been here 3 years and we still go 3 times per week or so.

We do Disney very differently though. For example during the week my coworkers and I take our kids after school one or two nights. We get there around 5 and leave at 8. We're super spoiled and hardly ever wait in lines.

On the weekends we go for a few hours. If something is too long we skip it. Last weekend DH and I went to DHS for Star Wars weekend. We ended up going to Darth's Mall (merchandise tent), getting what we wanted and leaving.

And we very rarely eat at Disney .

This summer we'll spend 2-3 mornings per week at the water parks!

We're always trying to decide if staying or moving back is the right thing for us and it is a very hard decision! We love it here!
__________________
Me: DH: DS:
ilovefh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #82
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: East Tn
Posts: 15,731

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMom2Four View Post
Your family sounds so much like ours--I'd love to keep in touch!

Dh works from home too, so we have the opportunity to move anywhere we want. Guess where we are going once our house sells?

We are in the Portland area and are SO tired of the constant grey and depressing weather. Even in July last year, there were too many days where the sky didn't clear until 2pm and I had the kids in jackets. Yuck. Tired of that!

Do you have a house that you need to sell first? We are almost ready to get ours on the market.

We are selling and donating a lot of what we own. Do you have a plan for moving your stuff? We are thinking of doing something like Pods. Driving a U-Haul with gas prices over $4 a gallon doesn't make sense to us
My DD (19) is in Portland for the summer. I'm hoping the dreary days will send her in another direction but she seems to be loving it.

I keep telling her she is our only and we can follow her wherever she lands, But, the reality is, that is too dreary for me, too expensive for me and too far from WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
Anyone who lives in FL ever get tired or bored of Disney? That is one of my fears when we move, is that it will become too "normal" for us.
I think this is something you need to be aware of and not burn your kids out on. Mine burnt out on it and we live in TN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
I've lived here nine years. I still love my time in the parks, but I don't go anywhere near as often as I did when we first moved to Windermere.

The nice part is that you don't feel pressure to go or to do a great deal when you go. I go when I'm in the mood. While there, I do just what I want. If I get tired or the lines are too long, I leave. I can always go back at any time.

Often, when I do visit a park, I simply people watch or stroll around. I only ride rides with very short wait times. I am more into the atmosphere than the rides now days.
When we go now, this is the way we do it too.
__________________
Brenda: DISing since 2/2000


There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #83
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket
 
ethanwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Windermere, FL
Posts: 1,237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
My DD (19) is in Portland for the summer. I'm hoping the dreary days will send her in another direction but she seems to be loving it.
The summers are actually pretty nice in the Pacific Northwest, that is why she is loving it. We've actually had a particularly nice start to the summer this year, which is unusual. LAST year summer didn't really get above 80 degrees until early August! Tell her to stay in Portland from October-April. She'll begin to hate it. Here's why (and what bothers us):

Clouds cover the ENTIRE sky 99.9% of the time. Rain most days with a temp no higher than 45 degrees. Some days it's raining and 33 (which is the WORST type of rain because it's so cold but not yet snow). Dark because we are farther north, so you have very short days. Lots of trees and hills tend to block light.

2-3 months of great summers is not worth the 9-10 months of depression and darkness.

Most people who visit Seattle/Portland do so in the summer tourist months, and they come here and think "wow it's so beautiful, I would love it here, I want to move here!"... and that is true but only for a very short period of time. I think most people who move to the PNW from a warmer climate are in for a shock after the initial honeymoon period of moving.

Ethan
__________________
Ethan & Liz with Phoenix (9) & Scarlett (7)

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited by ethanwa; 06-10-2013 at 12:48 PM.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #84
ORMom2Four
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,071

Ethan is spot on about the weather!

The big problem I have with the Pacific NW is the lack of sunlight--and that it doesn't get warm enough to justify having a pool in the backyard During most of the year, I'm driving my kids to school at 7:45am and it's still dark. Then it is completely dark by 4:45 in the afternoon. During those "daylight" hours, it never really gets too light because the clouds overhead are so dark. Month after month, it is dark, chilly, and wet. It's so bad that, when the sun does come out, people call their family and friends to make sure they go outside to see it! (omg, look outside, the sun is out!) It's a fun 10 minutes, but then the sun goes away again and we all go back indoors.

Have to say, it did take me about 5 years before the honeymoon wore off--I loved the clouds at first and never imagined leaving!

There are 2 videos on youtube that I love about winters in Portland. One is called Portlandia winter. The other is a Pemco commercial called goosebumped beach bum
ORMom2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #85
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?
 
Feralpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Windermere, FL
Posts: 18,250

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsyw View Post
I have enjoyed reading this thread (only found it today). We live in Missouri, which my DH and I lovingly call "Misery". We have dreamed of moving to Florida for years. He has a job that has many locations and have kept in touch with the location in Jacksonville, FL, just waiting for a job opening that would be acceptable. We always thought we would move around the time that DS17 graduated from HS. He will be a senior this coming year. Well, a month ago a job was posted and DH applied. He got a call last Wednesday and is going down next week for an in-person interview. I am beyond excited!! If he gets the job it will be hard to begin with. I will stay here until DS graduates, so we will have to live apart for almost a year. They are wanting to have the position filled by August, and I would need to be here until mid May 2014. But the company will pay for us to move and will help with selling our house. We hope that DS's and I would be able to go down a few times during the year. We also would be going into this move with the attitude that if we don't like it he would always have a job to come back to. Of course, I hope we love it. My parents are getting older so they are my only concern at this point. I think they will visit regularly as they are semi-retired. I think at some point I could convince them to move down or at least be snow birds. My parents are extremely close to both my boys so I think they would want to be nearer to us. My DS17 hasn't decided where he will be going to college yet but has always hoped to go to U of F in Gainesville. So that would be nice for us to be closer to him as well.

I'm just so excited for anyone following their dreams and taking the big step of moving from your comfort zone and taking on a new adventure. I CAN NOT wait to start ours!! Congrats to you and good luck to us!!
My daughter and I moved from Kansas City to the Orlando area nine years ago. She was just starting her junior year of high school. It was hard moving her at that point, but it worked out for the best. Because she attended a Florida high school for at least a full year, she qualified for Florida Bright Futures. Because she had good grades, Bright Futures paid for 75 percent of her college expenses.

There have been some changes to the program since she graduated, but it is still a good program. You might want to check into it. I know it would be hard to move your son just before his senior year, but the savings on college expenses might make it worthwhile. To qualify, he would have to complete his entire senior year at a Florida high school.

Good luck! Hope it works out for you!
__________________
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #86
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
My daughter and I moved from Kansas City to the Orlando area nine years ago. She was just starting her junior year of high school. It was hard moving her at that point, but it worked out for the best. Because she attended a Florida high school for at least a full year, she qualified for Florida Bright Futures. Because she had good grades, Bright Futures paid for 75 percent of her college expenses.

There have been some changes to the program since she graduated, but it is still a good program.
You might want to check into it. I know it would be hard to move your son just before his senior year, but the savings on college expenses might make it worthwhile. To qualify, he would have to complete his entire senior year at a Florida high school.

Good luck! Hope it works out for you!
Free money is always good, in my opinion, but you're right, Bright Futures has changed drastically since your DD went to school. It does not pay anywhere near 75% of college expenses. Right now it pays $100 per credit hour, so not quite half of the cost of tuition only.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #87
hopemax
Note to Self: Please remember to bring your brain with you this time
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 5,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefh View Post

And we very rarely eat at Disney .
This is a biggie for my parents. When they vacationed at Disney, they had their favorite places to eat. But Disney's restaurants are not set-up well for locals. How often do you reserve your "local" restaurant 6 months in advance? If you want to eat at Le Cellier, Be Our Guest, Chef Mickey's and some others, remember, you will have to plan that out as much as a vacationer does. Also, no Disney Dining Plan, so you are paying the inflated menu prices (which make the Dining Plan look like a good deal, but out of pocket not so much). Instead of eating at Disney being "fun," it became a negative experience. So now they don't eat at Disney.

This is also something to keep in mind for when Fastpass+ goes into effect. No one really knows how it will work for "locals" so you may have to get in the habit of reserving your ride times way in advance too.
__________________
Hope
hopemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #88
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: East Tn
Posts: 15,731

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
The summers are actually pretty nice in the Pacific Northwest, that is why she is loving it. We've actually had a particularly nice start to the summer this year, which is unusual. LAST year summer didn't really get above 80 degrees until early August! Tell her to stay in Portland from October-April. She'll begin to hate it. Here's why (and what bothers us):

Clouds cover the ENTIRE sky 99.9% of the time. Rain most days with a temp no higher than 45 degrees. Some days it's raining and 33 (which is the WORST type of rain because it's so cold but not yet snow). Dark because we are farther north, so you have very short days. Lots of trees and hills tend to block light.

2-3 months of great summers is not worth the 9-10 months of depression and darkness.

Most people who visit Seattle/Portland do so in the summer tourist months, and they come here and think "wow it's so beautiful, I would love it here, I want to move here!"... and that is true but only for a very short period of time. I think most people who move to the PNW from a warmer climate are in for a shock after the initial honeymoon period of moving.

Ethan
I'm thinking it would get old quick for her but she's in the "courting stage" right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMom2Four View Post
Ethan is spot on about the weather!

The big problem I have with the Pacific NW is the lack of sunlight--and that it doesn't get warm enough to justify having a pool in the backyard During most of the year, I'm driving my kids to school at 7:45am and it's still dark. Then it is completely dark by 4:45 in the afternoon. During those "daylight" hours, it never really gets too light because the clouds overhead are so dark. Month after month, it is dark, chilly, and wet. It's so bad that, when the sun does come out, people call their family and friends to make sure they go outside to see it! (omg, look outside, the sun is out!) It's a fun 10 minutes, but then the sun goes away again and we all go back indoors.

Have to say, it did take me about 5 years before the honeymoon wore off--I loved the clouds at first and never imagined leaving!

There are 2 videos on youtube that I love about winters in Portland. One is called Portlandia winter. The other is a Pemco commercial called goosebumped beach bum
I'll have to look those up. I can only imagine how well I'd do mentally in weather/time like that. I'm in a very mild area with 4 seasons that I love but in the "dead" of winter, I love a visit to FL with sunshine and blue skies and flowers. It does my head a lot of good!


Quote:
Originally Posted by hopemax View Post
This is a biggie for my parents. When they vacationed at Disney, they had their favorite places to eat. But Disney's restaurants are not set-up well for locals. How often do you reserve your "local" restaurant 6 months in advance? If you want to eat at Le Cellier, Be Our Guest, Chef Mickey's and some others, remember, you will have to plan that out as much as a vacationer does. Also, no Disney Dining Plan, so you are paying the inflated menu prices (which make the Dining Plan look like a good deal, but out of pocket not so much). Instead of eating at Disney being "fun," it became a negative experience. So now they don't eat at Disney.

This is also something to keep in mind for when Fastpass+ goes into effect. No one really knows how it will work for "locals" so you may have to get in the habit of reserving your ride times way in advance too.
Yeah, I'm in TN and I do not fool with the dining plan or more than 1-3 ADRS on my trips. I can;t imagine Fastpass+ being any fun at all!!!
__________________
Brenda: DISing since 2/2000


There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #89
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night
 
Sparkly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: England
Posts: 2,272

Seattle sounds a lot like England at times..rainy and yucky in the winter! It's actually been lovely here the past week though.
__________________


Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #90
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket
 
ethanwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Windermere, FL
Posts: 1,237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post
Seattle sounds a lot like England at times..rainy and yucky in the winter! It's actually been lovely here the past week though.
England and Seattle are very similar when it comes to weather, yes.
__________________
Ethan & Liz with Phoenix (9) & Scarlett (7)

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: