Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
Help, Please!
Mouseketeer

Welcome!

70% crappy weather (heat/humidity) seems about right to me! My least favorite part of living here!

P.S. We live on the Space Coast, come on over and check out Kennedy Space Center (during a rocket launch!), Cocoa Beach, lots of other great things.
Help, Please! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Help, Please! View Post
Welcome!

70% crappy weather (heat/humidity) seems about right to me! My least favorite part of living here!

P.S. We live on the Space Coast, come on over and check out Kennedy Space Center (during a rocket launch!), Cocoa Beach, lots of other great things.
To me that's 70% good weather.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
Keli
We're smarter than the average bear!
I would scrap everyday if I could
What do you think? You were raised in a barn?

My husband and I did something similar early in our marriage. I very much enjoyed the adventure of it all and the experiences we had and friends we made. After four years I was ready to move back to the area we were both from and we haven't looked back since.
Glad we made the move and glad we made the move back. Don't regret it at all.
Family was probably the thing that drew us towards home the strongest.

1981-The early years. 2011-The not-so-early years
Keli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

We are behind MK too (part time) in Windermere and love it. The area has the FL feel but not the touristy feel yet that is just a short drive away. SO MUCH to do and explore throughout the entire state.

Liz
Traveliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
TeresaNJ

Knows the tricks to get the Tag Fairies' attention! Likes all pretty colors Gets teary when she hears Garth sing "The Dance"

Best of luck to you! We did the same thing as you, moved to central Florida 20 miles south of Disney, to a beautiful home community. I'm an RN, so could work anywhere, and DH was able to transfer for his job, so we took the opportunity. After a few months & working as a per diem RN at Osceola Regional Hospital & Celebration Hospital's ERs, I got my dream job at Disney working for the Disney Vacation Club.

It was fun and exciting for a few months, but then severe homesickness set in. My whole family, including my adult children, were back home. I came to hate the community we lived in, only one main road in and out, and took me an hour to get to work, when it should have taken about 20 minutes. While our home community was gorgeous and on Lake Toho, I felt like it just dropped out of the sky, and there were no roots or real "community" where we lived.

After a year I was ready to go back home, and since my mom had some problems after hip surgery and needed help, DH agreed to go back. In retrospect, I think if we had moved to a different "homey" community, I would have adjusted more easily. Windermere is a lovely town, and if we had stayed, we were planning on moving there or another town north of Disney. Best wishes and I hope it all works out for you!
TeresaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #21
ilovefh
Is it Disney time yet?

We did the same thing 3 years ago but without kids. We said we'd stay for two years and then reevaluate. We're trying to decide if staying or moving back is right for us. The main motivation to move back would be family. But we really like it here. We're torn!

People always ask if we're sick of the parks and so far we aren't. We go at least twice per week. Last week we went to MK with our friends after school one day, to the 24 hr MK thing Friday and Star Wars weekend Sunday. In fact I've volunteered for our 8th grade trip to Universal the past two years!

We've made some great friends that have really become our family here.

We don't regret our move at all!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #22
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
But, you are being VERY conservative in thinking that the heat and humidity is maybe only 30% of the time - try about 70% and you will be more accurate
I think when I said 30% I meant really more unbearable "I don't want to go outside" heat. My wife and I LOVE humidity and tropical weather... like when you go outside and your glasses fog up. So we're looking forward to it. We may get sick of it quickly though, so who knows.

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #23
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
Congrats! I found people either loved the Florida lifestyle or couldn't make the transition. It's a GREAT place to grow up...
Thanks for your comments and suggestions! We will make sure to do those things. I love relaxed lifestyle (if it were warming here I'd wear shorts EVERY day) and seafood (crab, shrimp, fish, scallops, clams, you name it!).

Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #24
ethanwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJenna View Post
I wasn't trying to be a downer at all sorry if I came off that way. We were super excited for the adventure as well. One huge advantage you have is there is so much to do in Florida, Denver was a great city but it felt secluded from the rest of the world. That's the same way we looked at it you don't like it you can always go home.
Don't worry, I didn't take your comments the wrong way. And Seattle gives you that same "secluded" feeling, trust me.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #25
ethanwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
I'm shocked that the living expenses are that much greater in WA. :eek
We live in Bellevue, WA here (far east of downtown). I would say Windermere, FL is somewhat equivalent in terms of the type/wealth of people who live in the areas... but they have their differences. Generally though both are considered more affluent suburbs of larger cities. I would say parts of Issaquah, WA is probably a good match to Windermere as well.

A 2500 sqr foot newer built home (15 years or less) in a good neighborhood with great schools here will run $3500/mnth rent. Windermere is about $1800/mnth or so. HUGE difference. The housing collapse of 2008 hit the rest of the USA a lot harder than it did in the Seattle area.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #26
DIS Veteran

Wish I could get the wife to move down but the grandkids are just 2 hours north of us here in Indiana. We had taken over our daughters apartment lease in Orlando in 09 when she had gotten a different job and I got a part time job at the Magic Kingdom. Was only going to be a couple of months but I decided to stay until the end of 09 and then went Seasonal Cast. Been coming down 3 or 4 times a year for 4 to 6 weeks at a time since January of 2010. Will be going down in a couple of weeks and staying 5 weeks. Been working out but still wish I could move down.

Stay in an extended stay hotel during my trips and really getting a little tired of it. Wife usually comes down sometime during each of my trips for a week or so but she gets bored of just taking me to work about noon, hanging out at one of the park pools for the afternoon and then coming back to pick me up about 12:30 in the morning (I work turnstiles and parade audience control so I'm usually there for both night parades).

When we used to stay at the apartment near Mall at Millenia, I used to go through Windermere to get the the CM parking lot north of MK (why they call it Westclock parking I'll never know as it's north of the park not west). NIce town but be sure to observe the speed limits. They used to be a bit cranky about that.

My family likes to eat barbecue at a place near Windermere called Yellow Dog Eats. Kind of a dumpy place but the food is really good. If you like barbecue (they have other stuff too) you need to check it out.

Good luck on your move and I hope you find more to do in Orlando than I do. Whenever someone asked me why I work so much when I'm there I always say, if you're not going to the attractions, not going to the beach, don't play golf and don't have a boat, jet ski or a girl friend, there just isn't a lot to do in Orlando. LOL

Last edited by 11290; 05-27-2013 at 11:38 PM.
11290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #27
ilovefh
Is it Disney time yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post

I think when I said 30% I meant really more unbearable "I don't want to go outside" heat. My wife and I LOVE humidity and tropical weather... like when you go outside and your glasses fog up. So we're looking forward to it. We may get sick of it quickly though, so who knows.
In my world it's 72 degrees all summer long. 72 in my house, 72 in my car and 72 inside wherever we go! :-)

Truly we don't mind the heat. Like I tell my dad who always asks how we stand the heat; living here in the summer is MUCH different than vacationing here in the summer. We don't spend hours on end outside. If we go to a park we go early in the morning and we're home by noon or we go after the sun sets. We spend tons of time at the water parks.

It's actually the opposite of NH. In NH we stayed in during the cold winter and played in the summer. Here we play outside in the winter and try to stay inside in the summer.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #28
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
Well, I won't argue, but that's kind of what I meant by the 70% I love it, but can't stay outside in it for very long periods. It has been 80* on christmas day (also has been colder). Sometimes it's only cold for basically Jan - Feb. It really varies from year to year. The best to you
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #29
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa
Well, we've decided to move to Florida. In fact, we're moving to Windermere this September, which is RIGHT BEHIND the Magic Kingdom! It's a highly desired area with great schools. I am lucky enough to have a work-from-home software job so we can go anywhere we want.

As you can tell from my avatar on the left, we're from Seattle, so this is a HUGE change for us... weather, geography, culture, and just about everything really. We're leaving behind the parents (grandparents) to go on an adventure and see if we like it or not.

Since we're renting a house and not buying, if we hate it, we'll just move back to Seattle. For the curious, here's why we are moving:

- Weather: Depressing and rainy in Seattle 85% of the year. FL has "bad" weather with extreme heat/humidity maybe only 30% of the time.

- Adventure: We don't want to be in our 70's and say we've only just live in Seattle our whole lives. I find that to be boring. I want my life, and my family, to have had journeys and experienced different places. Just the 5 day drive across 10-15 different states to get from WA to FL will be something we remember for the rest of our lives.

- Saves money: It's so much cheaper for us to live in FL. Budgeting it out, I'll be able to save over $20k next year just on cheaper housing and taxes alone.

- Sports: For me personally (not my wife) this is awesome. I love baseball, and FL has the Marlins and the Rays. They also have spring training. I am a diehard Seattle sports fan and always will be, but I'm glad I get to have MORE baseball (and trust me, the Mariners are just as painful to watch as FL baseball sometimes).

- Stuff to do: Being in Seattle for 34 years of my life (my age), I've done it all here. I'm looking forward to Disney, SeaWorld, Legoland, Universal Studios, Space Center, cruises, Miami and other cities, beaches on both sides, and more in Florida! All the time!

We don't have many close friends here, only family, and the toughest part is leaving them. But we'll be flying home in the summer and for Christmas, and it will give them a reason to come and see us and take a nice vacation. Honestly, I think it will make us all closer in some weird way.

Anyway, I am excited. Has anyone else done a long-distance move and can recommend a good mover?

Ethan
How old are your children?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #30
ethanwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by roliepolieoliefan View Post
How old are your children?
5 (going into K) and 7 (going into 2nd grade).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: