Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
AuroraRora
Princess

I did this on my last trip and LOVED it!! I thought it was actually a bargain, for all the delicious desserts, drinks and coffee and the great view of Wishes as well. If I only had one night to see Wishes I'd maybe hesitate as my favorite way to watch the fireworks is still from the front on the Hub, but we usually catch Wishes 3-4 times on a trip and I intend to do the Dessert Party once on every trip from now on
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
pascalstongue
DIS Veteran

We went two weeks ago and it was good but I won't bother doing it again. The desserts were average and the view of the fireworks was ok but obviously not as good as when viewed from the front. Lots of people were stood by the railing. Most people claimed a spot at the railing to watch MSEP and then stayed there. They can't of eaten many desserts!?

pascalstongue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
mjbradeis
Mouseketeer

How far out can you book?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
POP/MVMCP/FD December 11-18, 2010
DCL Dream/POP Century/Legoland December 1-9, 2011
DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise December 8-15, 2012
POR December 7-14, 2013
DCL Magic Western Caribbean Cruise December 7-14, 2014
DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Cruise December 5-12, 2015

"Please stand clear of the doors" - "Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas"
mjbradeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #19
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

We love the Dessert Party. This will be our fifth time in December. I love being close enough to actually see Tink flying overhead. Even though most go to the railing and stand to watch, the view of the fireworks are great. There is some seating, that you can still view sitting down even with folks standing at the rail. Desserts are plentiful, and while I don't eat a lot of them, we enjoy the ability to have a place to sit and relax and wait for the show without 20k of our closest friends! The hub can get crazy waiting for the fireworks to start.

As another mentioned, it is also nice to be able to kind of hang out in your seat for a few after the show is over and Main Street clears out. For my dh who is a definite crowd hater (and his version of 'crowded' is not mine, his is a very lose interpretation..) it is a way better way to end the evening. The Main Street/Hub masses have been his biggest complaint in years past.

I hope that you at least give it a try. Its the one reservation I try to get on the first day we can!

Kelly
Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #20
luvformickey
Earning My Ears

For us, the answer is YES! We've done it the last two trips and will continue to add it to each of our annual trips. It is so nice to not have to worry about finding a spot around Main Street hours before the show and then having someone come stand right in front of you. We look forward to unwinding over a few desserts, enjoying the show from a reserved area and not rushing out into a crowd when the fireworks are over. It's definitely a highlight for us. But, like everything else, you will have to decide whether it's a good fit for your family--it's not for everyone and everyone's experience will be different.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #21
athumann
Mouseketeer

I just booked it today for July 3rd, which thrilled me to death because i'm sure it will be a mad house!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #22
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

We did the dessert party for the first time April 17th of this year. I had only decided about 3 weeks prior to our departure that we wanted to go to it so I had to stalk the reservations for it night and day until about a week before our trip a slot opened up for us. Someone else asked how soon the reservations open up for the party.

They DO NOT open up 6 months in advance like regular ADRs do. They will usually open it up 4 to 6 weeks prior. If you are wanting to book for mid July you should start watching for them to open up at the first of June-ish.

It was $50 for the 2 of us to go but I thought it was a good deal considering you get a prime viewing spot for Wishes. I have seen Wishes from the Hub and from the terrace and I couldn't tell much of a difference. I could see everything from the terrace.

There are only a few tables that have a good enough view to where you can remain seated with ppl at the rail and you still be able to see well. The CMs tell you when you check in that you should go up to the rail to watch the fireworks. But actually you can go up to the rail about 20 minutes before the fireworks start because the castle show starts about 15 minutes before Wishes.

You can actually see most of the parade from the terrace as well. You can see the top 2/3 of the floats. You can't see the wheels touching the ground but you can see enough. Especially if you have seen it before.

I am pretty picky and there were only a few things I liked. I really liked the Creme Brulee. But it wasn't Pistachio it was regular Creme Brulee. I also had a mini cupcake. They had an ice cream station that my DH had. But there were a lot of other little specialty desserts I didn't care for. If you aren't picky you would love it.

We decided to have a late lunch and skip dinner so that we would be hungry by the time we went.

Also no matter what time it gives you as your reservation time when you make the reservation, still show up at least one hour prior to the fireworks. Everybody/almost everybody does. So if you want to get a chance to try all the desserts you should get there early enough.

I have read ppl report that once a certain dessert runs out that they do not add more but then others have said they do. DH and I only went to the buffet twice right when we first got there so I am not sure how they handled refilling the food or if they did.

I definitely will never fight the crowds on Main street to watch Wishes again. It is well worth the money to have a crowd free place to sit and relax and watch the castle show and fireworks.

The night we went the park actually stayed open one hour past Wishes but I don't think many ppl knew that because there was still a mass exodus leaving the park. Had I thought about it at the time I would have stayed back and went and rode a few things but I forgot the park was open until 11 until we were already out of the park.

Another hint/tip...when you leave the park go to the left instead of right and go get on the ferry boat back to TTC (if you drove yourself) There were thousands of ppl all filled in down the walkway going up to the monorail for what looked like an hour wait to get on the monorail but we walked right onto the ferry and was at TTC in 10 minutes.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
Jods313
Earning My Ears

Ok. I wasn't sure where to ask this question so I figured I would start here. I have read that there are photo pass photographers at the dessert party. We are thinking of ordering the photo pass in advance. Do we need the photo pass + to get these photos???? I know photo pass+ includes dining and certain experiences. Where do I get it if we decide to advance purchase??? Can I use a gift card?? Soo many questions!! Any help is appreciated!!
Jods313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #24
jgplimdesign
Under the spell of a very famous mouse. . .

We did it this past trip. For me though, I think it was a 'one and done'. We had one of the front tables (there was a row of four, 2-seaters)----and it was set back enough that we didn't even have to stand for Wishes. The crowd at the railing was forward enough not to block our view.

The desserts were ok. . .I enjoyed the creme brulee and mini cannoli, but a lot of the other desserts though 'pretty' were similar custard, whip, flavoring stuff that we didn't care too much about. I liked that they had a nice selection of teas available---and the lemonade was refreshing.

I'm glad we got to try it as something 'new' for our recent trip, but I wouldn't bother with a repeat visit.

Now we're talking 'apples and oranges' here. . .but the Food & Wine 3D Dessert Party? THAT is a dessert party! Experienced that in the fall----and would book that time and again. Different crowd. Different venue. I guess it all depends on whatcha like!
WDW visits: 1974 (age 4), 1976, 1980, 1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, October 2004, October 2005, October 2006, October 2007, March 2009, February/March 2010, October/November 2010, October/November 2011, October/November 2012, May 2013. December 2013
jgplimdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #25
katiee37
DIS Veteran

If I remember right, this isn't a year-round event, right? I'm going down in early January after New Year's so I'm not sure if the dessert party is even worth considering if it's not going to happen when I'm down there.
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #26
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiee37 View Post
If I remember right, this isn't a year-round event, right? I'm going down in early January after New Year's so I'm not sure if the dessert party is even worth considering if it's not going to happen when I'm down there.
The website states it is offered nightly with reservations available up to 60 days in advance.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean

Last edited by Itinkso; 05-30-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #27
pdaubert
Earning My Ears

We're going in November, but can't do ADR yet. Do you know when it opens for reservations?
pdaubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #28
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaubert
We're going in November, but can't do ADR yet. Do you know when it opens for reservations?
It varies, but most likely the 1st of October.
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: