Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
kajs22
Mother extraordinaire, friends call me wonder woman, grew up in South Florida and trying to get back.

Is the dessert party for wishes worth it?

I was excited to hear of the dessert party, but, after reading all the reviews not so sure I want to do it. People standing in front of their tables and children, grandparents etc. It seems like no matter where you go you just can't avoid people acting badly? I guess if that is the case is it really worth the expense? Is there a better place to watch the fireworks from?
kajs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
telephoneman66
Mouseketeer

We did it for July 4th a few years ago. Desserts were awesome. Drinks ran out fast but they brought More

When the show started, the other patrons all stood up and crowded the rail, which made us have to stand as well.

Still beats fighting the crowd on the street and still having to stand.

Definitely worth it to me.
telephoneman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

I guess you are fighting with 50 people instead of thousands. We go in a few weeks and I will let you know if it is worth it.
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
mousefan73
Mouseketeer

I am one who was disappointed as it's sold so you assume you have vip seated viewing as part of the party. Like i said the food is overpriced but so is everything at WDW. The food is good just didn't rock my world.

We were also there in Sept. with lower crowds. I keep hearing horror stories of busy times where to have a standing spot you need to park yourself hrs before. Here this party might make sense if once outside the Terrace it's butt to butt packed.
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
kgsmith
DIS Veteran

My family definitely thinks it's worth it. We've done it three times now. We enjoy the desserts and the chance to sit down and relax. We try to do it on an EMH night so that we're "rested" after the fireworks and ready to go a couple more hours.

We're generally seated in the first row of tables, so we don't go up to the rail. We can see just fine from our table.

I'm hoping to get a reservation for our August trip!

kgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
herb102211
DIS Veteran

Weve been to the wishes dessert party 3 times. We enjoyed sampling all of the desserts! Weve never really had an issue with people standing in front of us, but I have heard that its happened. We do like that there is a photopass photographer so we can get some shots with Cinderellas castle with no other people in the background of photos. If youve never been, I would give it a shot! Just dont plan on leaving the dessert party right after wishes ends as its a mad dash to the exit!

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL
Me (28) DH (28)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

We did the dessert party a couple of weeks ago. The desserts are ok...they were good but not great. We didn't have any issues with people crowding us or standing in front of us. We did go up to the ledge and stand as the show started. They tell you when you check in that you should stand so everyone can see. Overall, it was nice and I would do it again to avoid the crowds not just to eat the desserts.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

If the fireworks viewing was great, then maybe it would be worth it, but it is sorely lacking in that respect, so totally *not* worth it to us. Also, part of the draw, for us, would be having a seat, and that's not usually possible, so have to stand anyway.

We 'love' the fireworks and want to see 'all' of them, so would rather be in the crowd. It's really not that big a deal to us. Also, if crowds are an issue, we have watched them from FLE and the view is better there than the terrace.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
JessM
We all have a dream

I personally think the Dessert Party is worth it. We've done it twice. Yes, everyone stands by the railing, but the CMs encourage it and the tables in the back you can't see so I don't know why no one expects people to stand up. I've seen people bringing seats over to the railing if they don't want to stand. I love the view, being able to relax before wishes and I think the desserts are good. We'll be doing it again for our next trip!
JessM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
scjo68
DIS Veteran

We have done it four times.
We enjoy it and find it worth it.
Others do not enjoy it, or find it terribly overpriced. Everyone should form their own opinion.

The view: It is not as perfect as the view from the hub. Viewing from the hub allows you to see the fireworks centered over the castle. From the dessert party, your view is slightly skewed to the side. It does not bother me, but I have seen Wishes many times and from many different spots- I always enjoy it.

If Tinkerbell flies that night, she flies right over the dessert party, so you have a perfect view. I have learned not to depend on that. Definitely do not promise the kids that it will happen. Tink has only "flown" in 2 of the 4 parties we have attended. She does not fly if weather is at all "iffy". I can't complain- got to keep Tink safe. I consider her flying a "bonus".

CM's have always told us that viewing the fireworks is "standing room only", meaning you will need to stand at the rail to view the fireworks when it is time for them. Sometimes our table is front row, and we can see them from our table, even with folks standing at the rail. But sometimes we are under the roof, and we must stand and move to view. It has never been a big deal for us. We don't "stake out" a spot on the rail till about 10 minutes before the fireworks, and even then, we probably didn't need to. But CM's have always made it clear that you are not expected to stay in your seat. So the guests standing at the rail are not being rude.

I have seen people try to move chairs near the rail to sit and watch there. Every time, CM's tell them they are not allowed to do this. I have never seen it allowed. I am sure this is a safety issue. If a chair is next to the rail a child can stand on it and fall over.

We really enjoy the desserts. Some don't. Desserts have always been frequently replenished while we are there. I will say that they do not have unlimited amounts of every kind of dessert. Pistachio Crème Brulee has been limited every time we have been. When that runs out, they replace it with something else. They do not run out of food completely, but by the end of the party, it was mostly cupcakes and ice cream. So if there is something you want, take it early.

IMO, it is considerate to just take a few of each item, not an entire tray. I have seen guests move entire platters of one type of dessert to their table, so they are sure to get enough. Then it goes to waste. I think this is rude. (sorry...back to your question...)

I think it also depends how crowded it is when you go. When we went in January, Wishes was easy to see from the hub, without a big crowd around us. When we started going in August, we found it way more crowded to view Wishes from in front of the castle- we haven't done it since.

So, for us it is worth it.
Aug. 2013 POP, Nov. 2013 CR

scjo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I have only been once but thought it was totally worth it.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
Carlyzmom
AXIOM Crew Member
I see naked people all the time that are NOT pretty

So glad I found this thread!! We have it booked for the first time in June! Cannot wait!!!
1995 Disneyland Hotel - California
1997 Fort Wilderness
1998 Fort Wilderness
2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Port Orleans Riverside

Me DH DD 13 DS 10
Carlyzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Doing the party on Thursday, can't wait! I couldn't decide if it was worth it either but decided to go for it this time as a great way to kick off the vaca.
2012 C2C! Wine & Dine 1/2
2013 Inaugural Dumbo Double Dare!
AquaDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
kajs22
Mother extraordinaire, friends call me wonder woman, grew up in South Florida and trying to get back.

Thanks for the advice everyone - think we will try it out this year and hope for the best

p.s. - can't believe someone would pick up a tray of desserts and bring them to their table This happens at club service at the hotels also...
kajs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
BayGirl22
DIS Veteran

We went 2 weeks ago and thought it was worth it.

They are pretty clear that everyone will stand up at the rail during the fireworks, I've never seen it stated that you'll have a seated view. Still its way less crowded than the street. We were at a front row table over to the side and could remain in our seats.

I thought the desserts were good. We don't get dessert much with meals so it was a nice treat. Also a nice way to chill while waiting for the show, instead of staking out a spot on the street.
BayGirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: