Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #31
texasteacher35
DIS Veteran

We just got back from DL and it was fantastic. We stayed at GCH in the villas and the fact that we didn't have to be bussed, boated, or monorail end anywhere was AWESOME! NO HUMIDITY???OMG wonderful!! We spent 7 nights there and LOOOOVED it!

Saying all of that, we are WDW vets and we are at DW all the time. Love it there, too. They are so different, hard to compare really. Different format, layout, it doesn't feel the same at all- I don't think comparable parks at all. Apples and oranges...they both have their good and bad things- if comparing the WORLD to the LAND.

DL GCV 4/2013...WLV 6/2013...SSR 7/2013
JANUARY 2012- BCV, DECEMBER 2012- SSR, AUGUST 2012- BWV, JUNE 2012-Our 1st Star Wars Weekend- BLT, 3/2012- BLT, 1/2012- BCV, 11/2011- WBC, MAY 2011/ CBR Pirate Room, 11/2010- CR Tower, 7/2010- YACHT CLUB, 11/2009- CBR Pirate Room, 10/2001- GF
texasteacher35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #32
mdsd8700
It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Before our first trip to DLR in 2003 many people told me that WDW was better and that California couldn't compare. We didn't listen those naysayers and we were very excited for our trip. We were immediately hooked. This summer will mark our 5th visit to DLR, our goal is to switch off every year between DLR and WDW. Often people ask us if DLR is worth visiting....we always say YES!! Every Disney fan should visit the original park at least once.

I agree it is unfair to compare them. They are both magical in their own way.

All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome,
mdsd8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #33
texasteacher35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsd8700 View Post
Before our first trip to DLR in 2003 many people told me that WDW was better and that California couldn't compare. We didn't listen those naysayers and we were very excited for our trip. We were immediately hooked. This summer will mark our 5th visit to DLR, our goal is to switch off every year between DLR and WDW. Often people ask us if DLR is worth visiting....we always say YES!! Every Disney fan should visit the original park at least once.

I agree it is unfair to compare them. They are both magical in their own way.
Totally agree! We were told the same thing!!! We were still super excited to go and loved it!

DL GCV 4/2013...WLV 6/2013...SSR 7/2013
JANUARY 2012- BCV, DECEMBER 2012- SSR, AUGUST 2012- BWV, JUNE 2012-Our 1st Star Wars Weekend- BLT, 3/2012- BLT, 1/2012- BCV, 11/2011- WBC, MAY 2011/ CBR Pirate Room, 11/2010- CR Tower, 7/2010- YACHT CLUB, 11/2009- CBR Pirate Room, 10/2001- GF
texasteacher35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #34
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the community board to continue the discussion...
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #35
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

I like both parks, but I am one of the people that think WDW is so much better.

My reasons.

Better resorts, better price, and better discounts.

Better restaurants.

Lots more to do. I can spend 10 days at WDW and never get bored. DL is a 3 night vacation at the most. I love the water parks at WDW.

No charge for parking. What's up with that DL?

More bars and more adult feel at WDW. I love Epcot.

I can afford to stay Club level at WDW and not at Dl.

Orlando is green and beautiful. Very little traffic. Lakes everywhere. DL is surrounded by strip malls and so- so neighborhoods.

Just to clarify I was born and raised 15 minutes for DL. The magic Kingdom at WDW doesn't hold a candle to Dl, but for a vacation I would choose WDW everytime.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #36
Rhonna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinup Mommy View Post
It is Pepsi vs. Coke. No right or wrong.

I live in a house that is divided, I love DLR, my husband prefers WDW , and we each have visited both parks.

It just comes down to preference. :-)
I love both WDW and DL but regarding the *other* topic...COKE RULES!!!!!! (and yes, I've tried them both)
Rhonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #37
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

I grew up in NY and vacationed in WDW every year. I even moved to FL in my 20's just to be near my favorite place. 11 years ago I moved to Las Vegas and found that I LOVE DL. I love that I can go for a quick trip a few times a year... Or wake up on a Friday and just decide to go for a weekend. I love WDW too... we are going in 15 days for two weeks...love the excitement of planning a trip... Both have such wonderful memories for me!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #38
Cinderpamela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post

Lots more to do. I can spend 10 days at WDW and never get bored. DL is a 3 night vacation at the most. I love the water parks at WDW.
Ofinn-I have to ask based on your comment of DLR being a "3 day vacation at the most"... when was the last time you were there? Have you been there since DCA was re-done?

We spent 6 days there on our last trip in November and never got "bored".

That said, we could easily spend 2 weeks at WDW and never get bored either.... we love both parks, but for different reasons.

2014-November-Disneyland VGC 2013-Christmas at Aulani2012-November-Grand Cali 2012-July-Aulani 2011-1st trip to WDW-Christmas at Wilderness Lodge! 2010-Christmas-time@DLR and CLUB 33!! 2009-Christmas-time @ DLR 2008-Birthday @DLR 2007-PPH @ DLR
2005-DLH 1st Family Trip to DLR 1991-Spring Break Disneyland 1973-First trip to Disneyland
Cinderpamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #39
Julie711
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderpamela

Ofinn-I have to ask based on your comment of DLR being a "3 day vacation at the most"... when was the last time you were there? Have you been there since DCA was re-done?

We spent 6 days there on our last trip in November and never got "bored".

That said, we could easily spend 2 weeks at WDW and never get bored either.... we love both parks, but for different reasons.
I have to agree that after after a few days DL got a little boring to us. We go to WDW 1-2x per yr and would never even think of getting bored, but DH & myself visited DL in April for 4 days and thought that was enough time for us. We enjoyed the different rides that WDW doesn't have, Carsland was great, and even though everything was in walking distance (which is nice after a long day) we just felt it took away from the magic, just a different scene at DL.
We love how in WDW it's a vacation destination, feels like your in a bubble emerssed in all the magic.
It's not like we would never visit DL again , but it would be a long time,the flight was also to long for me, DL was 6 hrs, WDW is only 2.5 hrs, to ME that makes a difference.

Me DH DD(6yrs)DS(2 yrs)

9/06- CBR- Honeymoon/ 4/10- CBR- 1st Family Trip/ 8/10- CBR- Family & Grandmom Visit/ 5/11- CBR/ 2/12-AKL- Kid Free Trip For My B Day!/ 11/12- BWV- 1st Christmas Visit 4/13-DL-DH Birthday Trip Kid Free/ 9/13-WLV

Julie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #40
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsd8700 View Post
Every Disney fan should visit the original park at least once.
I couldn't agree more with this, and we haven't even gone yet . This is why we decided to head out to the West Coast parks instead of going back to the East Coast mainly because we wanted to see where it all started, plus it is a change of scenery for us but still be Disney themed.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #41
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream

In terms of vacation differences, WDW itself is a vacation and the Fisneyland Resort is an ATTRACTION in California, which is the vacation. IMO, a proper Disneyland vacation includes a couple of days there, a visit to other parks, such as Universal and Knott's or Six Flags, maybe a trip to the zoo, Los Angeles, the beach, museums and other things. I feel that's the main difference in vacationing. WDW is a vacation and Califormia is a vacation.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #42
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie711

I have to agree that after after a few days DL got a little boring to us. We go to WDW 1-2x per yr and would never even think of getting bored, but DH & myself visited DL in April for 4 days and thought that was enough time for us. We enjoyed the different rides that WDW doesn't have, Carsland was great, and even though everything was in walking distance (which is nice after a long day) we just felt it took away from the magic, just a different scene at DL.
We love how in WDW it's a vacation destination, feels like your in bubble emerssed in all the magic.
It's not like we would never visit DL again , but it would be a long time,the flight was also to long for me, DL was 6 hrs, WDW is only 2.5 hrs, to ME that makes a difference.
It's funny. I think it just comes down to what park touches your heart first. We're just finishing 5 days at WDW as DLR vets, and we...just aren't coming back any time soon. We felt the size, immense amount of walking, fewer rides and attractions in each park, lack of roving characters or Main Street USA vehicles, few pop up entertainment options outside of Epcot, and mediocre food (everywhere, this part was really a shock to us) just sucked the magic out of the experience for us. Epcot was the biggest disappointment--after all we'd heard, it wasn't much more than outdated science attractions, shops, and beer--and unnecessary walking. We were surprised to hate the Disney bubble, too. It just meant without a car we were trapped into long bus lines and bad food options. We knew the experience would be different than Disneyland Resort. And I know many people love the WDW experience. It just definitely turned out not to be for us. We can't wait for our next trip to Anaheim.

(But I will say we liked Magic Kingdom, and it ended up being where we spent most of our time. We also liked some of DHS. We left AK on the table after our Epcot experience.)
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo (HolidayTime!) | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo (HalloweenTime!) | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | DLR/WDW (We'll see which one!) Sep 2014 TBD | DLR Dec 2014 TBD (HolidayTime!) | Moving to L.A. 2015!

Last edited by mikedoyleblogger; 05-28-2013 at 12:57 PM.
mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #43
interstate70s
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyismyheart247 View Post
In terms of vacation differences, WDW itself is a vacation and the Fisneyland Resort is an ATTRACTION in California, which is the vacation. IMO, a proper Disneyland vacation includes a couple of days there, a visit to other parks, such as Universal and Knott's or Six Flags, maybe a trip to the zoo, Los Angeles, the beach, museums and other things. I feel that's the main difference in vacationing. WDW is a vacation and Califormia is a vacation.
I wonder if this this feeling is because of the distance you travel too though. We just went to wdw in April and spent time in Universal too. There is no way we would have traveled all that way without seeing Universal Orlando Orlandoas well as wdw. In a few years when we go again might add other attractions as well. When we head down the coast to DL, we don't feel the need to see everything in CA in one trip because it's closer.
interstate70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #44
LizzyS
Mouseketeer

My personal opinion is, the park with The Matterhorn is my favorite. :-P

1st ever trip to Disneyland: November 5th, 2011

2nd trip to Disneyland & California Adventure: February 23rd & 25th-26th, 2013

3rd trip to DLR (on site stay @PPH): February 26th - March 2nd, 2014
LizzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #45
pennyring
Thrift Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
You hardly ever see DLR ads and TV commercials in most of country except for the Southwestern corner of the US. Even Cars Land has not received near the national publicity you might expect because Disney does not want to hurt WDW's attendance.
I would clarify this to say the entire West Coast. We get plenty of DLR commercials in Seattle. I would say we get at least 50/50 DL to WDW commercials. It also kind of depends on promos though. Sometimes WDW is having a promo they aren't having at DL... so we get those commercials. But when the promos are on both coasts, we predominantly get the DLR commercial. There are some commercials that are mostly the same (the current Buzz Lightyear one), but we get the DLR version probably 4 out of 5 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstate70s View Post
I've seen lots of Disneyland commercials up here in the northwest, at least since they opened Carsland.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger View Post
It's funny. I think it just comes down to what park touches your heart first.
Yup. Sleeping Beauty is "my" castle. It's the castle I dreamed of visiting as a little girl. It's the castle I finally DID visit with my family as a kid. It's the castle I drempt of returning to as an adult. It's mine.

Cinderella castle is just big and pretty, but it's not mine.

Quote:
We're just finishing 5 days at WDW as DLR vets, and we...just aren't coming back any time soon. We felt the size, immense amount of walking, fewer rides and attractions in each park...
Yup. DH and I haven't been to WDW for quite a few years. We talk a few times a year about returning, but always come back to, "WDW is just big for the sake of being big." It's just annoying to have to walk three times as far to cross Magic Kingdom.

Quote:
...and mediocre food (everywhere, this part was really a shock to us) just sucked the magic out of the experience for us.
Yes, yes, yes!!! Thank you!!! It is stunning to me every time someone raves about the food at WDW. We were there about 12 days on our last trip. Around day 7 or 8, I realized they serve the SAME EXACT salad dressing and SAME EXACT sauce on the veggies in every. single. restaurant. And it's not really "good" either. Just noticeably the same.

When I read WDW food raves, I just figure these must be the same people who live in fly-over states and rave about Red Lobster.

Quote:
Epcot was the biggest disappointment--after all we'd heard, it wasn't much more than outdated science attractions, shops, and beer--and unnecessary walking.
I agree with you that Epcot needs a make-over, BAD. But I still love it. When I dream about WDW, it's Epcot that I dream of visiting. Specifically, World Showcase.

Quote:
We were surprised to hate the Disney bubble, too. It just meant without a car we were trapped into long bus lines and bad food options. We knew the experience would be different than Disneyland Resort. And I know many people love the WDW experience. It just definitely turned out not to be for us. We can't wait for our next trip to Anaheim.
I go back and forth on the "bubble". I think, mostly, it's overrated. They only NEED a bubble because it takes half an hour to get from your resort to the park! LOL! In Anaheim, your hotel is across the street. 3 minute walk. No bubble necessary.

Quote:
(But I will say we liked Magic Kingdom, and it ended up being where we spent most of our time. We also liked some of DHS. We left AK on the table after our Epcot experience.)
Aww you should've given AK a chance. It's the newest of the parks, so if your issue with Epcot is that it's old... well, AK isn't old.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: