Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

My first love is Disneyland for sure. Love the original park, weather, and all of what California has to offer.

What do I like about WDW? Is that the question?

WDW has better food, better resort choices, and more stuff to do like renting sea raycers on Seven Seas Lagoon. There's no denying the fun of WDW.

Now for all those people that hate the discussion on WDW vs. Disneyland. I like it! Isn't this a discussion board anyways? I don't condone bashing one over the other but I think comparing the two is fun. Say for instance Splash Mountain. My favorite ride of all time at Disney. WDW's version is better in my opinion. I like sitting two next to each other and the ride doesn't race through the animatronics section. It also has an extra dip/hill. And don't get me started how much better Pirates is at Disneyland vs. WDW. It's all in good fun. Let them discuss!

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
Kittyskyfish
Wee little ears...

Sherilaine, I get what you're asking and I can see this is not a DL vs. WDW smackdown. What are the reasons that people who never visited DLR automatically write it off and consider it inferior to WDW? I know the answer.

They're muggles.

There ya go. *wipes hands*

Kittyskyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #18
sheetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamertz View Post
Yes, I was even surprised when I first came to DISBoards a few years ago and found a majority of the categories on this site are dedicated to WDW. You have to scroll over half way down on the main forums page to find the few categories relating to DLR in California. I understand it because there are more total visitors to the Orlando parks, but it still surprised me.
There are more visitors to WDW, but isn't that partially due to a conscious effort on the part of Disney to promote one resort over the other? People complain about the crowds at DL but just imagine how packed the parks would be if DLR advertised nationally the way WDW does?
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
Laz
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=carissa1970;48516962]I think they are totally different and cannot even be compared.

[QUOTE]

Exactly my opinion! I go to each for a totally different, yet great experience
Old 05-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #20
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream

People who've never been to Disneyland automatically write it off because WDW is bigger. Bigger automatically equals better.

It doesn't really bother me when people do this. Disneyland and California Adventure are starting to get too crowded anyway, and we need to keep the tourists away.

Kidding, of course!

I don't see how anyone can write off any of the Disney parks if they've never been. I myself can't wait to visit every Disney resort.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #21
dsny1mom
DIS Veteran

Living in Illinois with a bazillion WDW TV commercials and rarely a DL commercial I hear the WDW is sooo much better comments all the time.

Most have never been to DL and based on the size of WDW they think it is superior.

I don't mention any of very magical aspects of DL. I just nod and tell them I hope they have a magical time. I feel no need to encourage more people to come to DL.

Actually if it had been up to me DCA would still be the parking lot in front of DL and DCA ( or DFA if in Fl.) and Carsland would be in Orlando. LOL

dsny1mom
dsny1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

I have not encouraged any of them to fly to DLR vs WDW either, as I agree it is already crowded enough. I have never subscribed to the theory of bigger being better but I guess for many people that is their gut reaction.
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
interstate70s
DIS Veteran

I've seen lots of Disneyland commercials up here in the northwest, at least since they opened Carsland.
interstate70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #24
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyskyfish View Post
I know the answer.

They're muggles.

There ya go. *wipes hands*

I want to fly to Ohio and give you a big kiss!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #25
DarthMole
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstate70s
I've seen lots of Disneyland commercials up here in the northwest, at least since they opened Carsland.
Here in NorCal too. I suspect DL is heavy west of the Rockies and WDW to the East.
DarthMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #26
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa1970 View Post
I think they are totally different and cannot even be compared. I grew up going to DL, love it, always will, and i especially love how I can get from the back of one park to the back of the other in about 10 minutes, walking. And it is close to my home.

Now, I haven't been to WDW in years, and we are going in July! I am so excited. It seems to me to be more of a vacation spot, people stay for ages. They seem to offer so much more. I think I will love it also. And continue gang to both because they are both awesome.

Completely agree except that I am the opposite, I grew up going to WDW and have never stepped foot in DL (except when we go for the first time in 9 days ). I blame that on my parents because it was always too far for them to drive (they hated to fly) and too expensive, we too are from Illinois (I noticed that there a couple Illinoisians on this thread ). When I got older, it was more a comfort thing for DH and I (he too had grown up going to WDW) until we decided that we had to visit the park that Walt built. I am very excited to see the differences that DL has to offer. For example there are rides that DL has that WDW doesn't have and a couple of rides that are no longer at WDW that are still operating in DL.

OP I don't know why anyone would put DLR down or say one resort is better then the other. I completely agree that if you haven't experienced it then you really can't say which is better....just like anything else in life.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
interstate70s
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMole View Post
Here in NorCal too. I suspect DL is heavy west of the Rockies and WDW to the East.
Makes sense.

The conversation/advise I hear on the playground in our area (non disney obsessed people we know) is take kids to DL when they're younger and wdw when they're older.
interstate70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #28
E&Cmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstate70s View Post
Makes sense.

The conversation/advise I hear on the playground in our area (non disney obsessed people we know) is take kids to DL when they're younger and wdw when they're older.
I agree. The majority of people I know here locally travel to DL especially with younger kids. The 3hour versus 8-10+ hours seem to play a big role in their decision. I often hear people say that once the kids are older they will travel to Orlando. I actually am thinking of the same thing. We just went to DL in March with my 9 and 6 year old and am thinking of trying WDW in a few years. We choose DL first with kids (been there pre kids) since it is a shorter more most times direct flight , everything is close together and my younger DD could go on more rides (less rides with the 48" height requirement).

Aulani August 2014
DL 2000 and March 2013
DCL May 2011 (Wonder Alaska)

Last edited by E&Cmom; 05-27-2013 at 09:26 PM.
E&Cmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #29
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohsFan1 View Post

Completely agree except that I am the opposite, I grew up going to WDW and have never stepped foot in DL (except when we go for the first time in 9 days ). I blame that on my parents because it was always too far for them to drive (they hated to fly) and too expensive, we too are from Illinois (I noticed that there a couple Illinoisians on this thread ). When I got older, it was more a comfort thing for DH and I (he too had grown up going to WDW) until we decided that we had to visit the park that Walt built. I am very excited to see the differences that DL has to offer. For example there are rides that DL has that WDW doesn't have and a couple of rides that are no longer at WDW that are still operating in DL.

OP I don't know why anyone would put DLR down or say one resort is better then the other. I completely agree that if you haven't experienced it then you really can't say which is better....just like anything else in life.
We are absolutely planning to compare all the rides. My 7yo son will dissect everything, but definitely not to criticize, just to compare. WDW still has Country Bear Jamboree!! My DH and I cannot wait to see that again. Plus, did I see somewhere there is the People Mover or am I just wishing?? It will bring my childhood back!

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #30
deanimal
DIS Veteran

I've also seen a bit of bias from (mostly) folks from the Eastern side of the continent. A lot of it is purely the assumption that bigger is better. I just figure that if someone hasn't actually been to both then they can't really know so there's no point paying attention to any comparisons. I consider DL to be my "home" resort but I've been to WDW once. I really did love both, but I did find myself comparing a bit. But just because I like certain things about one resort, I'd never put down the other.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: