Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
dipastor
Mouseketeer
 
dipastor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 93

Help, what do you do when you're friends kids...

message

Last edited by dipastor; 07-12-2013 at 06:05 AM.
dipastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,356

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipastor View Post
Hi there. Number one... We LOVE Disney and anything having to do with Disney.

Okay, got that out of the way. I'm posting here because everyone on these boards has been so helpful with Disney stuff. Now, need advice on Friends.

I've known my close friends (not Disney people) for #1 for 46 years, #2 for 30 years. I had children later than them. I have dd6, ds8, ds10. They have 13 yo's (one has twins, the other has 13 yo, 9yo).

We are on different schedules. My kids wake up between 5:30 and 6 everyday. Their kids sleep past 11. Today we were supposed to get together. My family had already been up for hours. We didn't want to wake the other two families so we waited for their calls.. and waited and waited. friend #2 finally called at 11:00. She said her kids were still sleeping. She is always asking me to push my kids schedule but doesn't reciprocate. So at this point my family is going stir crazy...I'm having adult ADHD and want to get moving and friend #1 hasn't even called yet. I told my friend we were on different schedules and I would meet her for lunch some time. I had messaged both moms the night before on some fun outdoor places we could go.

My family then went on a 2 hour nature hike (wonderful time) and spent some time in a quaint town for late lunch/early dinner. They (friend #1 and #2) were probably going to eventually get to an indoor trampoline place (which was an hour away from us).

What would you do? Suck it up, push your kids and get out of the house on a beautiful Monday Memorial Day to go 1 hour to an inside trampoline place or choose the great outdoors?? Would you try to save the day with your family by getting out or wait and wait and wait until the other families get their acts together?

I'm at wits end because these two friends have kids the same age(13 yo's) and never want to try anything new. We have some wonderful outdoor places near our home town including Longwood Gardens, Tyler Arboretum, Grounds for Sculpture, etc.. My one friend said... My kids don't hike. Really? Even my 6yo does it. They climb rock hills at Hawk Mountain in PA. They love it.

Okay, advice, feedback?
Thanks.
d.:confuse d3
Every family is different. I don't understand what you're confused about. Maybe their kids don't like being outdoors?

Now, I would not keep my kids cooped up while waiting for the friends to wake up. This is where you make a schedule ahead of time. If they don't want to participate, fine.
__________________
Oasis of the Seas W. Caribbean June 8-June 15, 2013
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!
 
worm761's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: 456.26 miles from the world!
Posts: 6,679

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipastor View Post
Hi there. Number one... We LOVE Disney and anything having to do with Disney.

Okay, got that out of the way. I'm posting here because everyone on these boards has been so helpful with Disney stuff. Now, need advice on Friends.

I've known my close friends (not Disney people) for #1 for 46 years, #2 for 30 years. I had children later than them. I have dd6, ds8, ds10. They have 13 yo's (one has twins, the other has 13 yo, 9yo).

We are on different schedules. My kids wake up between 5:30 and 6 everyday. Their kids sleep past 11. Today we were supposed to get together. My family had already been up for hours. We didn't want to wake the other two families so we waited for their calls.. and waited and waited. friend #2 finally called at 11:00. She said her kids were still sleeping. She is always asking me to push my kids schedule but doesn't reciprocate. So at this point my family is going stir crazy...I'm having adult ADHD and want to get moving and friend #1 hasn't even called yet. I told my friend we were on different schedules and I would meet her for lunch some time. I had messaged both moms the night before on some fun outdoor places we could go.

My family then went on a 2 hour nature hike (wonderful time) and spent some time in a quaint town for late lunch/early dinner. They (friend #1 and #2) were probably going to eventually get to an indoor trampoline place (which was an hour away from us).

What would you do? Suck it up, push your kids and get out of the house on a beautiful Monday Memorial Day to go 1 hour to an inside trampoline place or choose the great outdoors?? Would you try to save the day with your family by getting out or wait and wait and wait until the other families get their acts together?

I'm at wits end because these two friends have kids the same age(13 yo's) and never want to try anything new. We have some wonderful outdoor places near our home town including Longwood Gardens, Tyler Arboretum, Grounds for Sculpture, etc.. My one friend said... My kids don't hike. Really? Even my 6yo does it. They climb rock hills at Hawk Mountain in PA. They love it.

Okay, advice, feedback?
Thanks.
d.:confuse d3
I think you need to understand that their families are not like yours. There is nothing wrong with either way. You just choose your way. It doesn't make it better. If you want to do things with these two families then you will need to do things that they also want/like to do. Not everyone hikes. Not everyone enjoys nature.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 4,520

If I were you, me and my kids would do what we want to do and if the other folks can join us, fine.

If they want to do something and you are available, do it, if you are not available, don't do it.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran
 
ohiomom28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Xenia, OH
Posts: 1,292

We had a similar issue when we went on vacation with friends this year. While we were all awake around the same time, they don't get ready for the day and lounge around. By the time we are ready to go somewhere after breakfast, it's time for their child's morning nap. We started going to do our own things during the day and we did dinner at night. We spent a lot of time out doing things and the majority of their time was in the house.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using DISBoards
__________________
ohiomom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
dipastor
Mouseketeer
 
dipastor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 93

oops forgot to add

I forgot to add, I have gone out of my way to do what they want to do.... I only posted because they judge and lecture. I absolutely know every family is different.. no doubt about it. I guess I was asking... did I do anything unreasonable by going out on my own today?

I'm absolutely not mad that they wanted to do something different.. but they get mad at me for not pushing my kids
(have you ever seen a tired 6yo who's been up since 5 am having dinner at 8 at night? My girl is cranky)
dipastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!
 
worm761's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: 456.26 miles from the world!
Posts: 6,679

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipastor View Post
I forgot to add, I have gone out of my way to do what they want to do.... I only posted because they judge and lecture. I absolutely know every family is different.. no doubt about it. I guess I was asking... did I do anything unreasonable by going out on my own today?

I'm absolutely not mad that they wanted to do something different.. but they get mad at me for not pushing my kids
(have you ever seen a tired 6yo who's been up since 5 am having dinner at 8 at night? My girl is cranky)
You did nothing wrong. If I were in your shoes, I would let nature take its course and back off from the friendships. While you have known them for a long time, it doesn't sound like you have too much in common anymore. I would not tolerate being lectured about the way I choose to live my life by "friends" who choose to live theirs differently. If this were a vacation for a week then I might feel differently but it seems like this is more of an every day life sort of situation.

And I do know how you feel. We take my 3 year old hiking and have since she could walk. I am not a sit at the house kind of person. I like to be out and doing. No relaxing at the beach for me!
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran
 
Poohforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,230

Op, I have a 13 yo. When she was the age of your kids she would have been up early and all for a hike. The muckier the better. Now at 13 her priority on a day off from school with no homework is to sleep and then lay around the house. She might be up for a trip to the mall or to hang out with friends but that's about it.

Honestly I think it would be very difficult to do a family activity given the range of ages you're dealing with. I'd find time to spend just with my friends and not try to force a family outing.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran
 
MrsDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 147 miles from WDW
Posts: 5,087

Plain and simple: I'd do what I, my husband, and my kids wanted to do.
__________________
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
dipastor
Mouseketeer
 
dipastor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761 View Post
You did nothing wrong. If I were in your shoes, I would let nature take its course and back off from the friendships. While you have known them for a long time, it doesn't sound like you have too much in common anymore. I would not tolerate being lectured about the way I choose to live my life by "friends" who choose to live theirs differently. If this were a vacation for a week then I might feel differently but it seems like this is more of an every day life sort of situation.

And I do know how you feel. We take my 3 year old hiking and have since she could walk. I am not a sit at the house kind of person. I like to be out and doing. No relaxing at the beach for me!
Thanks, I just needed some clarity.
Pooh, you're right too. If it wasn't for my friends lecturing me that we haven't seen each other's families in a while, I could just meet the girls for a dinner out or drive up to where they are for lunch. I am always going up their way even for mom's night out. I live in the city, they live in the suburbs.
thanks for your responses. I feel a little better (at least until the phone calls on Tuesday come in with angry friends).
dipastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!
 
worm761's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: 456.26 miles from the world!
Posts: 6,679

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipastor View Post
I feel a little better (at least until the phone calls on Tuesday come in with angry friends).
Repeat after me: Thank you for your opinion but my family is happier this way. And why should you have to force your kids when they refuse to force theirs? Now I am all irritated on your behalf! LOL

There is no reason why you should be taking abuse from these people. If they want to do a family outing then maybe a backyard BBQ at your house would be the thing to plan. But you should not take flack for your family wanting to be active and theirs not.

I personally live in both worlds. DH and I are more on the go people. We have a 3 year old and a 17 year old. The 17 year old chooses to stay home most of the time. It is pretty normal for the age so we just go do what we want while occasionally forcing the 17 year old to come along.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,356

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761 View Post
Repeat after me: Thank you for your opinion but my family is happier this way. And why should you have to force your kids when they refuse to force theirs? Now I am all irritated on your behalf! LOL

There is no reason why you should be taking abuse from these people. If they want to do a family outing then maybe a backyard BBQ at your house would be the thing to plan. But you should not take flack for your family wanting to be active and theirs not.

I personally live in both worlds. DH and I are more on the go people. We have a 3 year old and a 17 year old. The 17 year old chooses to stay home most of the time. It is pretty normal for the age so we just go do what we want while occasionally forcing the 17 year old to come along.
I don't think the bolded is a good idea. I'm ASSUMING the other families are "night" people and will stay up late. That's why they sleep in. It sounds like the OP's family is "morning" people and go to bed early. If a BBQ is at the OPs, the OP's family will be ready to clean up and go to bed when the other families are content to sit and talk.
__________________
Oasis of the Seas W. Caribbean June 8-June 15, 2013
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,265

Both parties are at fault here. You need to ave a solid plan. We will be going to xyz at this specific time. If everyone isn't there we move on without you. One family can't be expected to make all the sacrifice. It is a 2 way street. Both parties need to compromise. Just go on without them. In the future have a solid plan of what time you will get get her and if they don't stick to it move on. Sounds like you are better off on your own.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other
 
Aliceacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,208

The kids aren't friends, it's the adults who are.

I would suggest that everyone get sitters, and the adults get together for a nice dinner out.
__________________
DH: me: DS (16) , DD (14): DD (11):


I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
SLP958
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,067

Maybe you should just accept that your families are at different stages and may not enjoy the same things.

That being said, you could plan some adult only outings if you still want to get together with these friends.
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.