Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
sjc011
Earning My Ears

If schools weren't so concerned with testing, then there wouldn't be a need to play "catch-up." Personally, that's a pretty light load. I was in high school ten years ago, and I had to read 5 books every summer.

Your daughter hopefully isn't being forced into doing that other stuff. Education is so important throughout life. (I agree with the AP stuff- it's good to take those classes, but there's no need to take those exams.) Complaining that there's too much work just instills in your daughter that if it's too hard, it's not worth doing. Hey, she's learning how to multitask- something she needs to learn in college! (Unless she's getting her Bachelor's in Partying...)

To the other posters that are complaining that school breaks are meant for doing nothing, I feel bad for your kids. They need to enjoy life, but they also need to be shown that there is more to life than video games and binge drinking on the weekends (I'm sure your kids don't do that stuff, but I know plenty of high schoolers who prefer to drink and smoke instead of doing something productive). That being said, if you don't like the school, just homeschool your kids. I'm sure you know more than the educators who are paid to teach it.
sjc011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70
I equate this to working weekends with out pay.
And by the way, those of us in management often have to work off the clock . . .that's why we get paid the big bucks.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #18
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc011 View Post
If schools weren't so concerned with testing, then there wouldn't be a need to play "catch-up." Personally, that's a pretty light load. I was in high school ten years ago, and I had to read 5 books every summer.

Your daughter hopefully isn't being forced into doing that other stuff. Education is so important throughout life. (I agree with the AP stuff- it's good to take those classes, but there's no need to take those exams.) Complaining that there's too much work just instills in your daughter that if it's too hard, it's not worth doing. Hey, she's learning how to multitask- something she needs to learn in college! (Unless she's getting her Bachelor's in Partying...)

To the other posters that are complaining that school breaks are meant for doing nothing, I feel bad for your kids. They need to enjoy life, but they also need to be shown that there is more to life than video games and binge drinking on the weekends (I'm sure your kids don't do that stuff, but I know plenty of high schoolers who prefer to drink and smoke instead of doing something productive). That being said, if you don't like the school, just homeschool your kids. I'm sure you know more than the educators who are paid to teach it.
I'm big on commitment. Once you say you're going to do something, you do it. She already committed to the church camp (It's a "rebuild things in our state" kind of thing), and the Vegas Convention (which we've already paid for).

I don't think summers need to be an "all or nothing" when it comes to summer homework. I just feel there's a line, and this is pushing it if not crossing it.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
I'm big on commitment. Once you say you're going to do something, you do it. She already committed to the church camp (It's a "rebuild things in our state" kind of thing), and the Vegas Convention (which we've already paid for).

I don't think summers need to be an "all or nothing" when it comes to summer homework. I just feel there's a line, and this is pushing it if not crossing it.
It's a college level course...
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #20
lsyorke
DIS Veteran
Owner of squeeky bras

I remember the good old days when summer vacation meant summer vacation. And we wonder why kids are so stressed out these days.
lsyorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #21
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I don't teach AP, but everything I've ever heard about AP courses seems to imply that the workload you describe is typical. It's hard to teach 15 year olds on a college level in order to get the course taught in time for those AP exams in early May. This isn't about high stakes standardized testing, this is about the possiblity of saving a LOT of money in college tuition by taking AP courses in high school.

As to the summer reading, the kids in my high school who will be Juniors are expected to choose 2 of the following books to read this summer, in preparation for a test early in September:

Sophomore

Crane, Stephen. The Red Badge of Courage.

Hawthorne, Nathaniel. The Scarlet Letter.

Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the Sea.

Potok, Chaim. The Chosen.

Steinbeck, John. Of Mice and Men.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 05-27-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #22
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
We found the entire AP thing to be pretty useless. There is no guarantee that this will be accepted by the universities. If they are, they sometimes are only "elective" credit in the subject, not a direct substitute for a course. Besides, if you are going to be a bio major (for example), you really want to take your bio courses in your department, not test out of them. I know very few kids who got outstanding AP scores in science or math fields who were allowed to "skip" that intro class in college and move onto the more challenging stuff, and the few who did, didn't recommend doing it that way.
?
This is pretty much my view on the whole AP thing.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #23
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
At least it seems so to my DD (rising HS sophomore).

She went to the school website today (last day of school was Friday) to see if the summer assignments were posted. She got her assignment for English (read a book, keep a journal for 20 consecutive days, test on the book when school starts again), AND for AP World History... complete 13(!) worksheets... 1-12 are due the first day of school, #13 on the 3rd day. Each worksheet is 5 pages long. No certain book to get the information from, use the internet, library, whatever. Oh, and there will be a test on #1-12 in the first week.

There are less than 12 weeks until school starts back up. DD has a weeklong church camp and is going to the Junior Classical League convention in Las Vegas for 4-5 days.

I get having a reading project due, but this seems extreme to me. She said nothing was mentioned before school let out.

No, I'm not looking for suggestions on what to do. All I want to know is if this seems reasonable for HS.
Summer reading and AP packets are typical. They really shouldn't take that long to do, my DD usually does some of it the first week of vacation and then the rest of it the last week before school starts.

I am laughing about the less than twelve weeks until school starts because I don't know of anyone anywhere who gets almost three full months of school vacation in the summer, even when I was a child it was not even close to that. We get out the 3rd week of June most years and go back the last week of August, so it's normally more like 10 weeks, the same as during my childhood in the 70s and 80s. This year, our last day is June 28th (no, not a typo) due to all our snow & hurricane days, and we start on Sept. 3rd, donuts exactly nine weeks.

I think that's plenty of down time for my kids, even with camps, family vacations and extra activities. Two weeks un scheduled at home and we would all be pulling our hair out.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck
It's a college level course...
And? College classes start later, end earlier, don't meet every day, AND I don't remember summer homework for my college classes. Correction.. there was one book I had to read befor Freshman honors class. But no paper to write.

Don't get me wrong. DD will do the work. It just seems a little much to me.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #25
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc011

Wow that's a little offensive. There are plenty of kids that aren't taking classes that require that kind of homework and aren't out binge drinking.

Dd is an upcoming sophomore and she has a suggested reading list for world lit--thats it. But I don't think binge drinking is on her to-do list this summer. Instead she will be on a mission trip, choir activities, baby sitting her nieces Oh and having fun because she is 15 and she doesn't have many more summers to do that.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #26
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If you think it is crossing the line, then have her drop the AP classes. Everybody has their priorities.

But what you can't do is have your cake and eat it too. You can't have Advanced Placement courses without doing advanced work.

If you don't feel AP courses are worth it on transcripts, then your choice is easy. Drop the courses and have the summer to yourself.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #27
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And? College classes start later, end earlier, don't meet every day, AND I don't remember summer homework for my college classes. Correction.. there was one book I had to read befor Freshman honors class. But no paper to write.

Don't get me wrong. DD will do the work. It just seems a little much to me.
Right, but it's "Advanced Placement".. advanced level work. University was a joke compared to my AP classes simply for the reasons you listed above. But, AP classes are worth it in the end! I had an entire year of college done before I graduated from high school. It stinks that it cuts into summer but if your DD is willing to do it, the benefits are there!

Hope she finds time for fun!
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #28
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I don't have any kids at the AP level yet, but summer break really isn't a break once the kids get to high school. Between football, band, and academics my son has absolutely no time available this summer for traveling and has already told his father that he's not coming for his usual extended visit around July 4 because that's the only time he'll have nothing to do but hang with his friends. Personally I do think it is excessive and it stinks - just when they're getting to a level where vacationing absolutely has to be confined to school breaks those breaks get filled up with school-related demands.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #29
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsyorke View Post
I remember the good old days when summer vacation meant summer vacation. And we wonder why kids are so stressed out these days.
I went to high school in the 70's, and even in those 'good old days' the honors courses had summer requirements.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #30
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Merteuil View Post
I work in education, and I am really against the idea of summer homework. I think the kids deserve a break. Summer used to be special, now it seems that they try to tether them to school. I figure AP teachers will strongly disagree with me, but I just think summer homework is not a good idea.

As a homeschooler who has one child in public high school, I totally agree with you. I'm looking forward to allowing him to learn some other things in the summer. Like how to reconnect with his family, how to teach his brother a few more soccer skills, how to read a book for pleasure, how to enjoy his friends in a non structured environment, and how to be bored once in a while.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: