Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Phil Cirrone
Mouseketeer

How is Disney at Christmas

Was thinking about going to Disney for Christmas. I normally only go in the summer. Has anyone been there for the holidays?

Lisa
Phil Cirrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Cirrone View Post
Was thinking about going to Disney for Christmas. I normally only go in the summer. Has anyone been there for the holidays?

Lisa
Disney at Christmas time is amazing . We have been twice in December and have gone to MVMCP twice, with the second time being just as fun as the first . If you have the chance to go during the holidays, do it. All of the parks and resorts are beautifully decorated and there's nothing quite like Christmas at Disney .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

We have gone between Thanksgiving and Christmas to enjoy the decorations and they are fantastic, a really great time to go. We have not been at disney during Christmas week, but to give you an idea the crowd calendar at easy wdw has the crowds at a 10 starting 12/22 thru 12/31.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

Absolutely gorgeous! We went three Christmas' in a row. Once we did EPCOT on Christmas Day and went to the Candelight Processional -- it was so amazing. And to see the castle with the "ice" lights all over it -- takes your breath away. Stunning! And the Osborne lights at HS ... way awesome!

If you decide to go, be sure to take a day or so to visit some of the resorts. Their decorations and set-ups are so so nice. (Gingerbread house in the GF, model train display at the YC, Chocolate set up at the Boardwalk, etc.)

Enjoy!!

Ice Castle colors by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

YCRR5 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

GF Gbread palm by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

CP Horns3 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

YC wreath by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

Gingbrd Hse by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

MGM Lites Street by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

Old 06-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

The Holidays are fun at WDW. All of the resorts and theme parks have decorations (to varying degrees). At the resorts, the Deluxe resorts have the most elaborate decorations. The GF, CR, BW, and BC all have chocolate or gingerbread showpieces. The WL and AKL have giant (multi-store) trees with decorations. The YC has a miniature village/train set-up. The moderates have decorations (e.g., trees, swag, wreathes). The values have a small tree and wall decorations.

The theme parks have decorations and giant trees. The MK and Epcot felt the most festive to me, but all the parks had a festive feel.

The weather in December tends to be cool with low humidity. I was there during an unusual cold snap, so it was cold! But otherwise the weather was very nice.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
patty57
DIS Veteran

It's beautiful and fun, but also unbelievably crowded. Christmas week is 10s across the board on any crowd calendar.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

The holidays at WDW are magical!!

We were there last year, Xmas week at WLV & AoALM. The WL's decorations were fantastic & really felt like the perfect resort for a Xmas stay. The characters were there in their holiday attire, Santa paid a visit, carolers sang in the lobby, cookies & cider were handed out to all guests...Ah I wish we could go again this year! We did the parks on 2 days only & had a great experience going early! We never waited on a single line at MK or Epcot! The weather was all over the place, but we dressed in layers and were fine. (35 one day, 70 on another!) We had Xmas eve dinner at 1900 Park Faire & Xmas day dinner at IL Mulino and bother were just perfect! We toured all the resorts to check out their decorations, but the GF & WL were the best!

I think everyone should experience it at least once!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
MickeyEars
DIS Veteran

After years and years of going during the hot summer (just returned last week) we are planning our first ever Christmas trip for 2014. I'm soooo looking forward to cooler temps and the beautiful decorations.
I can't wait for the 2014 rates and dates to be released so I can book. Planning is such fun!!

Carla
Old 06-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
It's beautiful and fun, but also unbelievably crowded. Christmas week is 10s across the board on any crowd calendar.
Yes BEAUTIFUL but do not make the mistake of underestimating crowds and their impact.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post
Yes BEAUTIFUL but do not make the mistake of underestimating crowds and their impact.
This...but its still worth going at Christmas.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
mdinme
DIS Veteran

We arrived on New Years eve 2010 and went to Epcot where we could not move due to the huge crowds. The other parks were at capacity and not allowing more guests. We rang in the New Year with Illiminations and loved it, but it took an hour to get out of the park...The good news was the next week was very quiet, we walked on every ride and still enjoyed all the amazing decorations.

Worth doing at least once, but it may be best to plan a trip from say 12/29 to 1/4 or something. Best of both worlds we thought (it was a ten night trip).

Me DW DS16 DD13
Offsite 07 & 09/Jan 10 Kidani/Aug 10 BW-BC/Aug 11 FQ/July 12 POR/Aug 13 BCV/Oct 13 BC-BW/Aug 14 BCV
mdinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
Exactly what I was going to say, but everyone should do it at least once.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
bluepirategrl
Earning My Ears

Go the day after Thanksgiving or the first week of December! It's not very crowded. Longest line I waited in was maybe 20mins. Weather is really nice and the Christmas decorations are up.
bluepirategrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
jhryb
DIS Veteran

I've been in mid December, over Christmas and over New Years. My top pick is mid December because all of the festive activities are going on yet the crowds are not too bad. Christmas and New Years are just too busy for my liking.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhryb View Post
I've been in mid December, over Christmas and over New Years. My top pick is mid December because all of the festive activities are going on yet the crowds are not too bad. Christmas and New Years are just too busy for my liking.
We did mid December last year & the parks were a piece if cake. We were able to do everything we wanted especially visiting the Deluxe hotels to see all their special decorations.

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: