Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #31
amejiajr8
Mouseketeer

Just relax and enjoy..Read iternary daily so you know what is happening on the boat but dont try to do it all.
amejiajr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #32
Spwhoney
Mouseketeer

Must remember tips for CM. Our CM's were so wonderful we gave a little more. They will probably give you a paper with tip suggestions on it, but not until the end of cruise. This part always breaks my heart because it means the cruise is almost over. One idea is to go to customer service and get one at beginning of cruise, put your tips in right away and set aside. That will give you an idea how much cash you will have for the cruise. I wish I would have ordered room service more but after all the snacking and grazing at the buffet every time you were remotely near it, we were FULL. I also wish I would have watched the fireworks, I know how could I miss that right? But the kids had fallen asleep and I was so tired. Just enjoy your cruise
Spwhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #33
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Just a note here. The room on the DCL ships are the largest in the cruise industry for comparable rooms. Most other cruiselines have much smaller rooms, including many that only sleep 2.
Certainly not disagreeing with you; I have read that they are the largest in the industry too. BUT, it doesn't mean they are large by hotel standards especially if someone is use to DVC villas as I am. And if you are a first time cruiser, this can come as a shock. The OP wanted advice and being prepared for the size of the cabin is my advice. I didn't mean this as a complaint or a negative, just an observation.

I will be sure to remind myself as I open the door to my next cabin, that it is the biggest in the industry, however, I am sure my eyes will not deceive me as the five members of my family all see our cabin for the first time on the Fantasy. With that said, we love cruising and will be thrilled to smash ourselves into that space.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #34
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
Certainly not disagreeing with you; I have read that they are the largest in the industry too. BUT, it doesn't mean they are large by hotel standards especially if someone is use to DVC villas as I am. And if you are a first time cruiser, this can come as a shock. The OP wanted advice and being prepared for the size of the cabin is my advice. I didn't mean this as a complaint or a negative, just an observation.

I will be sure to remind myself as I open the door to my next cabin, that it is the biggest in the industry, however, I am sure my eyes will not deceive me as the five members of my family all see our cabin for the first time on the Fantasy. With that said, we love cruising and will be thrilled to smash ourselves into that space.
Sorry, didn't mean to seem contradictory, actually I agree by hotel standards they are small. I was just pointing out that, even though they are small, compared to other lines they are actually quite large.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #35
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post

#1: Just like DisneyWorld, you cannot do everything, so don't even try. Enjoy and relish what you do experience!

#2, and this is a big one: Treat your servers with respect; like people, not servants. They will pick up on that quickly and your dining experience will be truly magical. I guarantee it.
Thank you for posting #2! I waited tables when I was I school, and just wanted to say how much I appreciated your comment. :D
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #36
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post
get a cruise guide book (a passporter’s guide is great) and do not read boards and stuff too much. IMHO it is overwhelming and better for that repeat cruise.

book another cruise onboard.
Some people find cruise guidebooks useful.

I prefer sifting through the information on these boards as the book is outdated the minute it is printed, plus it is much easier to gather what might pertain to your family (and the ship you will be on) here.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #37
jaywalker17
Earning My Ears

After 18 trips to WDW over the last 18 years, we decided to do a Disney Cruise. Best idea ever. We researched here alot, but we still didn't "get" what it meant to cruise until we did it.

Our tips:
1) RELAX. After 2 days on the cruise, I thought I'd made a mistake going. Then we spent a day on deck. Our son swam. We played cribbage. Tried the "Drink of the Day." Played in the arcade. Ate the Quick Service type food and just relaxed. it was wonderful.
2) Go to the Shows.
3) Get to know your Servers. You'll interact with them more than all the other cast members combined.
4) Enjoy not having a cellphone, watch, and a schedule. RELAX.
5) Explore the ship. Even though we are not big drinkers, we enjoyed checking out every adult area, even if just to sit down and read the menu. No one was bothered by us not ordering drinks.
6) Dress up! We dressed nice for all our dinners, a little nicer for Formal night, and had a lot of fun dressing for Pirate night. Made the dining room experience feel ever more special.
7) If nothing in the Navigator screams "You HAVE to do this," RELAX. One of our best days was when my son spent the afternoon at the Oceaneers Lab, my wife took a nap and I spent a couple of hours reading on the verandah.

It was so much different than going to Disneyworld, but so worth it. I hope you have a great time!
jaywalker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #38
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Story Fan View Post
Bring bonine for seasickness. You never know how you will react to the motion of the ocean. Take before you get on the ship, and maybe for the next day and then see how you all are feeling. Nothing worse than to have to stay in your cabin not feeling well. You can also get it on board, but I would take it right away!
Make sure you have meds, if you are concerned get Rx before you leave. Over the counter or Rx should be avaiable but would not use them unless needed. Some can affect you in other ways. If you have them thats all it takes you will not have a problem. Will say 40 yr. Old daughter, Birthday on cruise, did get landsick for three days when we returned. We all agreed the cure was to take another cruise.

I was first time this year and never had a problem. Yes i did feel ship move but sitting on deck enjoying paradise and several drinks of the day the ride was painless.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #39
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Story Fan View Post
Bring bonine for seasickness. You never know how you will react to the motion of the ocean. Take before you get on the ship, and maybe for the next day and then see how you all are feeling. Nothing worse than to have to stay in your cabin not feeling well. You can also get it on board, but I would take it right away!
Make sure you have meds, if you are concerned get Rx before you leave. Over the counter or Rx should be avaiable but would not use them unless needed. Some can affect you in other ways. If you have them thats all it takes you will not have a problem. Will say 40 yr. Old daughter, Birthday on cruise, did get landsick for three days when we returned. We all agreed the cure was to take another cruise.

I was first time this year and never had a problem. Yes i did feel ship move but sitting on deck enjoying paradise and several drinks of the day the ride was painless.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #40
DisneyDudet
Disney Music Addict!

I have found that you need a healthy amount of time outside and time inside. I actually spent too much time in the sun last cruise, and spent the last few days pretty miserable. I wasn't burned, but I got sunsick.

I found that if you want to do activities (say for your indoor time) that carrying a copy of the navigator was helpful. You can get more copies at guest services. I like having one in the room at all times.

Bring some beach towel clips or bungee cords to keep your towels on your chair. It can get quite breezy up on deck, so keeping the towels on your chair is hard to do. With people walking with wet feet and bathing suits, the ground is not a safe place for cover ups and towels. They will tell you not to save chairs. They doesn't mean you can't leave your stuff on your chair while you take a dip in the pool. This means you don't go eat lunch at the buffet and play bingo then come back to your stuff. This also means grandma cannot save 8 chairs for everyone. Don't be afraid to leave your chair

If you like soft drinks, bring a refillable, insulated mug. The tiny paper cups (think kids meal cups at WDW) sweat instantly, and are just not big enough.

That's all I can think of that others didn't already say!

Morgan, RN
Next up:
Princess Half Marathon- CSR and AKL-K
Off Site-6/90, 1/03, 6/09, 8/09, 2/11 POFQ-6/92, 12/08, ASMu-6/95, POR-6/97, 6/00, FW, 6/02, BWI-6/02, 2/13, Dolphin-6/03, 10/13 AKL-12/03, 12/05, 12/10, 2/11, 2/12 WL-5-6/05, ASSp-1/06, Swan-10/07, POP-9/08, 1/09, 4-5/09, 1/12, 12/12, ASMo-1/10, CBR-3/09, OKW-12/09, 3/10, 1/11, 6/11, BLT-6/10, 12/12, 10/13 Kidani-5/11, AoA-10/13,DLR-6/06, 9/09, 9/10, 9/11, 12/11, 9/12 DLParis-12/07, DCL-Wonder-5/02, 6/08 Magic-1/07, 6/09, Dream-2/11, Fantasy- 5/12, 10/13
"Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." Sam Eagle (Muppet 3D)

Proud DVC Owner at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort!

DisneyDudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #41
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

If you like sleeping in cooler temps, bring an empty gift card/rewards card with a magnetic strip. The power and AC/heat in the room is controlled via a magnetic keycard slot near the door; if you use your room key (as suggested in the stateroom) you will lose the lights/AC when you leave the room. Just remember to put the lights out when you leave, or your stateroom host will likely just pull the card out.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #42
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
Treat your servers with respect; like people, not servants. They will pick up on that quickly and your dining experience will be truly magical. I guarantee it.
I SO agree on this one! I do this at restaurants so it will definitely be the same on the cruise. They are great people doing very important jobs - and I am thankful for them!

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #43
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamscome2ru View Post
If she enjoys the club, she'll want to go back. If she makes a friend there or befriends her dinner mate and goes with him/her, even better.

If she gets a good vibe right off the bat, she'll be fine with you planning something for adults and having her go. You'll have lots of together time on your cruise and this way you can also enjoy something designed especially for adults!
Will the daily Navigator tell us when certain things are happening in kids clubs? If my DD arrives and their are craft options for us to enjoy together while she settles she'll be won over! She can cut, paste and craft for hours on end so doing it on 'Mickey's Ship' will be the icing on the cake!

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #44
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
We are booked for the Fantasy on February 15th Western Caribbean.

Cruising is really a wonderful way vacation!
We can wave at one another. We'll be embarking as you're disembarking .

Old 05-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #45
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Bring bathing suits in your carry on. Also, delay getting off boat in Castaway and hit the Aquaduck - both times the Aquaduck will be less crowded.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: