Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Definitely echo the comments that you cannot do everything. You are on vacation, go with the flow and enjoy the moment!
Bring cash, especially some small bills, for making small purchases in port and tipping room service. Carefully consider everything else people tell you is "essential", I've never used an over the door organizer, highlighter or other things people say are critical to cruising in 4 cruises!
Don't set your heart on doing any one thing. Don't count on your 5yo loving the kids club so you can go to Palo etc...it might not happen. Do go with the idea that it will be a great trip, and you'll have a wonderful time.
Definitely book a dummy cruise on board if you like the experience, it saves you some money if you take another DCL cruise in the next 5 years.
Do your research on the ports of call, often DCL excursions are overpriced versions of things you can book on your own for less. I say often because some places have exclusivity contracts with the cruiselines, but most don't. Don't let them scare you into onky taking DCL excursiond because they tell you that they will hold the ship for you if you are late, because sometimes they won't. They may get you to the next port, but it won't be on the ship . Plus the private contractors know the cruise customers talk and frequent late returns will result in loss of business. Some ports are easy to do it yourself, others you should take DCL excursions.
Enjoy your trip!
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #17
the_bUg
Mouseketeer

my best tip is that in the desk in your room you will find morning room service order forms that you fill out the night before and schedule a delivery time for the following morning. I loved waking up 10 minutes before the food arrived, quick shower and then out on the verandah for my morning coffee.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #18
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

Make sure everyone has watches! As a person who depends on my cell phone as my watch I discovered the hard way that it was hard to keep track of time without it. Hard, if not impossible, to find clocks aboard as well..bring a watch, you will be glad you did.

Bring several highlighters to go over the Navagator with and if you see something you want to do Highlight it, maybe a different color for each person, because there is a LOT of stuff to do and it will save you having to re-read the Navagator and "trying to find where I saw that thing..."
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #19
Dreamscome2ru
Mouseketeer

My best advice would be to bring your DD to the kids club on the first day. Be prepared to go in with her and spend an hour engaging with her in activities.
Dreamscome2ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #20
Dreamscome2ru
Mouseketeer

Whoops, hit send before I was done.

If she enjoys the club, she'll want to go back. If she makes a friend there or befriends her dinner mate and goes with him/her, even better.

If she gets a good vibe right off the bat, she'll be fine with you planning something for adults and having her go. You'll have lots of together time on your cruise and this way you can also enjoy something designed especially for adults!
Dreamscome2ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #21
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

1. Don't sweat the small stuff!
2. Take lots of pictures.

Oops, that was 2.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #22
linetbo
Mouseketeer

I like to stay up late and watch TV, I did'nt found until last night that you can watch a lot of movies that are not on the regular channels, so exlore your remote control to. And if you miss any show, you can watch it on the tv also.

linetbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #23
ludari
DIS Veteran

Be mindful of what you pack. After my first cruise I realized I packed way too much clothing.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
matt&jakesmom
DIS Veteran

A lot of great suggestions from the "pros". Thanks! Taking the 1st cruise next year.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #25
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

if you like cheese or fruit, request a plate at your first dinner. they will bring one for your table and SHOULD ask if you want one every night. The cheese goes really well with the bread! ummmmm.

Request warm chocolate chip cookies and milk from room service at least once. Give them up to an hour to deliver.

Sleep in one sea day and then hit the PALO brunch. Worth the $20 per person.

Hit the balcony at least 1 hour a day.

Lock all of you valuables in the ssafe at the start of the cruise. All you need is your KTTW card. And a few dollar bills if you want room service.

Enjoy looking at this websight everyday until your cruise.

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-6, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #26
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinginontario View Post
We are at the early stages of planning for a Feb, 2014 cruise on the Fantasy.

There will be myself, my 5yo DD and Nana.

What is your best tip for us? None of us has ever stepped foot on a cruise ship and we're super excited!! (Well....except for the 5yo since it will be a surprise that I tell her about in January so that she doesn't drive us crazy. )

We are Disney vetrans and visit WDW a couple of times each year but cruising is new to all of us. What better way to be introduced than on a Disney cruise!

TIA!
#1: Just like DisneyWorld, you cannot do everything, so don't even try. Enjoy and relish what you do experience!

#2, and this is a big one: Treat your servers with respect; like people, not servants. They will pick up on that quickly and your dining experience will be truly magical. I guarantee it.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #27
Mousemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobofan5 View Post
Make sure everyone has watches! As a person who depends on my cell phone as my watch I discovered the hard way that it was hard to keep track of time without it. Hard, if not impossible, to find clocks aboard as well..bring a watch, you will be glad you did.

Bring several highlighters to go over the Navagator with and if you see something you want to do Highlight it, maybe a different color for each person, because there is a LOT of stuff to do and it will save you having to re-read the Navagator and "trying to find where I saw that thing..."
Just told my husband yesturday that we need to make sure we have a watch our next cruise. I also use my phone so see what time it is and have it off our entire cruise. I could never find a clock on the ship.
Mousemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #28
sambycat
DIS Veteran

get a cruise guide book (a passporter’s guide is great) and do not read boards and stuff too much. IMHO it is overwhelming and better for that repeat cruise.

book another cruise onboard.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #29
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinginontario View Post
We are at the early stages of planning for a Feb, 2014 cruise on the Fantasy.

There will be myself, my 5yo DD and Nana.

What is your best tip for us? None of us has ever stepped foot on a cruise ship and we're super excited!! (Well....except for the 5yo since it will be a surprise that I tell her about in January so that she doesn't drive us crazy. )

We are Disney vetrans and visit WDW a couple of times each year but cruising is new to all of us. What better way to be introduced than on a Disney cruise!

TIA!
We are booked for the Fantasy on February 15th Western Caribbean. It will be our second cruise. The best advise I can give is to continue to read these threads. They really helped me prepare for our first cruise on the Wonder and they are continuing to help as I plan our second cruise; first time on the Fantasy.

Just like going to WDW, you can't do it all. So relax and enjoy your trip.

The only other strange piece of information I can offer is that even though we had two connecting rooms; I was shocked at how small the cabins really are. Perhaps I had this feeling because we are DVC members and the villas are generally a good size but I was really caught off guard. That said, I quickly got use to it and it did not hamper my enjoyment of our trip.

Cruising is really a wonderful way vacation!
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #30
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
We are booked for the Fantasy on February 15th Western Caribbean. It will be our second cruise. The best advise I can give is to continue to read these threads. They really helped me prepare for our first cruise on the Wonder and they are continuing to help as I plan our second cruise; first time on the Fantasy.

Just like going to WDW, you can't do it all. So relax and enjoy your trip.

The only other strange piece of information I can offer is that even though we had two connecting rooms; I was shocked at how small the cabins really are. Perhaps I had this feeling because we are DVC members and the villas are generally a good size but I was really caught off guard. That said, I quickly got use to it and it did not hamper my enjoyment of our trip.

Cruising is really a wonderful way vacation!
Just a note here. The room on the DCL ships are the largest in the cruise industry for comparable rooms. Most other cruiselines have much smaller rooms, including many that only sleep 2.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: