Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

What is your Best Tip for first time cruisers?

We are at the early stages of planning for a Feb, 2014 cruise on the Fantasy.

There will be myself, my 5yo DD and Nana.

What is your best tip for us? None of us has ever stepped foot on a cruise ship and we're super excited!! (Well....except for the 5yo since it will be a surprise that I tell her about in January so that she doesn't drive us crazy. )

We are Disney vetrans and visit WDW a couple of times each year but cruising is new to all of us. What better way to be introduced than on a Disney cruise!

TIA!

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinginontario View Post

What is your best tip for us? None of us has ever stepped foot on a cruise ship and we're super excited!! (Well....except for the 5yo since it will be a surprise that I tell her about in January so that she doesn't drive us crazy. )

We are Disney vetrans and visit WDW a couple of times each year but cruising is new to all of us. What better way to be introduced than on a Disney cruise!

TIA!
My #1 tip for cruising is - Don't try to do everything, you can't.

Use the Navigators (daily event paper) each evening to plan your next day's schedule. Don't stress about the things that you can't do, there will be lots of people running around like crazy trying to do it all. You can just sit back and enjoy the show. That's the next tip - take some time to just sit.

Plan on a second (or even third) cruise to do the things you have to skip the first time.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
iadizfans
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

Could not agree more... Don't forget to relax. You're on vacation.
iadizfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

Make sure you budget for a deposit for a future cruise when you go for this cruise. You're probably going to catch the "DCL bug" while on board.

Also, don't bring beach towels - I packed a ton of these for our first cruise not knowing they were provided.

Happy planning!
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinginontario

TIA!
Get your passports and documents in order now and keep tight tabs on it.

Bring your own swim or snorkel gear so you don't have to pay to rent everywhere .

Sleep in the embarkation morning. You can't get thru the terminal much before 11am. You might as well sleep in til 9, get on the road by 10, you can still get to PC by 11. If you go for noon or one, you may not even have to wait to check in at all. If you get plenty of sleep, you can stay up late the night you embark and your trip is off to a good start.

If you have Golden Mickeys, that was our favorite show.

Make sure Animators isn't skipped for dinner.

Bring pirate outfits if you want for the pirate night. Many of us were dressed up.

Bring your own camera to Princess Gatherings if they are outside of the Atrium as they do not have pro camera crew. We didn't know. A nice lady took ours and emailed them to us!

Save room for pirate night buffet.

Take way more pictures than you think you will want.

Order a mickey bar for desert. I forgot to!

Hope I get to cruise the Fantasy sometime! Would love to do a 7 day! Our 3 day Dream was wonderful! Just fab.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Use the Navigators (daily event paper) each evening to plan your next day's schedule. Don't stress about the things that you can't do, there will be lots of people running around like crazy trying to do it all. You can just sit back and enjoy the show. That's the next tip - take some time to just sit.

Plan on a second (or even third) cruise to do the things you have to skip the first time.
The Princess is absolutely correct . The GOOD thing is you booked a 7 day cruise you'll have more time, than a 3 day for example, to see & get the "feel" of cruising "Disney" style. We found cruising to be the most relaxing type of vacations available. So don't sweat the small stuff, don't over plan (like we did on our 1st cruise) just get the basics down. Read these boards for all kinds of other tips. Have a wonderful cruise it will be here before you know it.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Toy Story Fan
Mouseketeer

Bring bonine for seasickness. You never know how you will react to the motion of the ocean. Take before you get on the ship, and maybe for the next day and then see how you all are feeling. Nothing worse than to have to stay in your cabin not feeling well. You can also get it on board, but I would take it right away!
Toy Story Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:

Use the Navigators (daily event paper) each evening to plan your next day's schedule. .
That would be my number one tip. As a veteran cruiser I didn't do that on Disney and missed our show the first night. Never imagined the late seating show would be before dinner instead of after like the 4 other cruises I had been on.

Second tip is for at home before you go. Laid out what you are taking, and then leave about 25% of it at home. You'll never wear it all. For example, 3 pairs of shows should be enough for a person, dress, tennis shoes and flip flops should be enough.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much everyone! Keep the great tips coming!

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
JacksonFamily
Earning My Ears

Something we learned the last night of our first trip was to have the pro photographers take as many pics of you as possible. On the last evening you can purchase a photo album full of all the images they take. We didn't realize until it was too late, so our album has basic ship pictures throughout rather than pics of us. It is a little pricey, but makes a really nice keepsake. We sail again in July and can't wait to purchase another one. Anywhere you see a line with a photographer, get in it, and have a pic taken:-)
JacksonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

1. Leave the electronics at home and lock the cell phone in the safe in the stateroom. This allows you to forget about the world and relax.
  2. Read the DIS boards but take it with a grain of salt.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
Mousemom
DIS Veteran

We too are WDW junkies. We go at least twice a year. We took our first cruise in March and are going again in September.

1. The one thing that I read on this board that I did was use room service to order coffee in the morning. You fill out the card the night before, mark what time you want coffee delivered, and then hang in on your door. We requested 9:00 am and our coffee was there right at 9. If you are not a coffee drinker you can order tea, pastries, and I think there may be juice. It was a great way to start our morning and not have to leave our room for that morning cup of coffee.

2. Use the navigator left in your room to plan your days.

3. We, after our last trip, decided that we want late dining. We had first this last trip and by the time we had breakfast we did not have time before dinner for lunch so maybe had a piece of fruit. We want to eat lunch this time so we thought that late dinner would allow us time.

4. Read these boards for great tips.
Mousemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Silver Cinderella
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinginontario View Post

TIA!
Get travel insurance that will cover your expenses in case of that emergency you think and hope will never happen.
Order Mickey bars and big island cookies from room service.
Don't try to do everything. Relax!

Silver Cinderella
Silver Cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
NickAndAnt
Earning My Ears

I second what MikeAndNick say. Leave the phone in the safe and don't even think about purchasing wifi. Being disconnected was so relaxing.

Also, bring a really, really, really big bottle of sun screen at least 45 SPF and reapply 4-5 times a day. We did, we tanned, we look great com our 5 day cruise on the Dream that ended last Thursday. But we saw soooooo many badly burned people on just the second day!

Don't rush to dinner. We had second seating and had to wait in a long time if we arrived at the assigned start time. One night we ran behind and got there 15 mins late. No line and the wait for food was shorter.
NickAndAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
pantoufle
Earning My Ears

The first time a character is scheduled for pictures will be the busiest, they are usually scheduled for more than one time.

Also, we figured out the secret of Castaway Cay. Everyone goes to the beach first thing, if you go to the boat pools, you will have them all to yourself. Then everyone starts going back to the boat around 2 and the family beach clears out.
pantoufle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: