Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
paintnolish
You'd think a sniff in the general vicinity would be sufficient
I mean, how much more can a dead guy do?!?
I'm meh about "meh."

Amusing a toddler on a long drive?

I posted a similar thread last year: how to survive a long drive with a baby. Well, I did survive and am doing it again. Much like the pain of childbirth, I've forgotten the difficlut parts of last year's drive from FL.
This year, LO is older (18 months) and obviously much more mobile. What are your best tips to make an 18 hour trip more bearable? It's not as bad as it sounds: breaking it up into three days (5 hours, 8 hours, and 5 hours). Thanks!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post34722197
DH Me DS (13) DD (12) Baby DS (1)
paintnolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
3 MEN AND A BOAT
DIS Veteran

I have no idea but look forward to what others say, our DD(16months) after 2hrs in her seat is ready for a break. We went to Disney last Nov when she was 10mo and we stopped every 2-3hrs to let her crawl around and stretch. My in-laws live about 1&1/2-2hrs away so trips to visit them she begins to get fussy just before arrival. Other than that I'll see what others have to say, but you know your baby best, make the trip suit her.
3 MEN AND A BOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Doodle board and any electronics you have.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
3 MEN AND A BOAT
DIS Veteran

I had a friend that could set his 1&1/2-2yr old in the car with a rear seat entertainment system and we drove 10hrs only stopping to get gas or change a diaper, and mom would feed her in the carseat while we were driving.

Didn't work with my DD, she could care less about a TV
3 MEN AND A BOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

You could let him drive
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
tlkscott
Mouseketeer

We drive 17 hours to the Gulf Coast every July. I have a husband who is a night owl and so long as he has his music doesn't mind driving. We drive all night so that both I and our son sleeps most of the drive. I have learned to make play list that have music I don't mind listening to or for our son to hear early in the set and music that I don't want to hear and our son will not be allowed to hear until he is much older later in the play list. I make the play list for about 3 hours because that is when we need to stop for gas. We all go to the bathroom walk around a little, and then our now soon to be five year old go back to sleep. On the drive home which is not an overnight drive we have a bag of play stuff beside his seat and then he can also watch a movie if he wants. Normally one movie on the way home. Driving through the night is the best tip I have. However, that may not work for everyone.
tlkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
descovy
DIS Veteran

Make the rest stops count. Don't just stop at a cafe to sit for a cup of coffee, find a school, park, rest area and let him run! I used to pack a beach ball (deflate it in the car) and just get very jumpy active. Picnic meals rather than restaurant.

Also, in the car, my kiddo would chew and nibble on a bagel and be good and happy for a long while. And take advantage of nap times!
descovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

DVD player. It is probably the best thing I own. We did 12 hours to Alabama and back, broken up over two days both ways, at Christmas. The DVD player was the lifesaver, as well as frequent stops.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

The in laws are a 22 hour drive away. We have a DVD player we hook up for her. She has her Leap Pad 2 and a doodle board. I am also in the take a picnic lunch and eat at a park or rest area. Then play a little ball to burn off the energy.
worm761 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

I second the rest stop ball and the DVD player!

I would also add storybooks on tape, and little new surprises - plastic animals or something that you pull out every so many miles.

Also, if your LO plays with magnetic letters on the fridge at home, they will work in the car on a cookie sheet.

me, DH, DS(13), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Our long drives are only 8-9 hours straight.

Personally if at all possible I would stretch the drive time and do it in 2 days rather than 3. I always try and drive at night so the kids are sleeping. Yeah its rough on you but makes the drive oh so better.

If you cannot do that try and leave real early in the morning so you get a good chunk done while the kid is sleeping.

And as PP have said dvd player, stop at rest stops, snacks.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
RNMOM
BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL

My boys loved the Disney books on tape, now CD , I bought a large set and put each book and tape together in gallon size bags. They could pick the ones to play. I also went to the library and got books on cd. I think if they have something to listen to but not watch they tend to zone out more and doze. Even playing song CD's and having sing along time in the care can help when they get restless.

Do run her around when you stop. Play tag and do a lot of laughing and cuddling. It will help her get rid of that energy. Most of all keep calm. Haven't we all felt like bursting during long car rides?
RNMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy
Make the rest stops count. Don't just stop at a cafe to sit for a cup of coffee, find a school, park, rest area and let him run! I used to pack a beach ball (deflate it in the car) and just get very jumpy active. Picnic meals rather than restaurant.

Also, in the car, my kiddo would chew and nibble on a bagel and be good and happy for a long while. And take advantage of nap times!
I second this bit. When I was growing up we used drve 1000 miles to grandma's house every summer. Two days in the car, no electronics, no A/C either. They stopped every 2hours for 20 min and we kids were expected to get out there and hustle. We kept a ball and some jumpropes in the car.

My mom made us little bags to be opened at certain intervals. The little kids always got a batch of paint-with-water pages and a baggie of qtips she had soaked overnight. Lots of fun and very little mess.

Speaking of mess, mom limited us to water and dry cereal inside the car. At rest stops we got fruit, juice, or popsicles, to keep us "regular" after all that sitting in the car.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
paintnolish
You'd think a sniff in the general vicinity would be sufficient
I mean, how much more can a dead guy do?!?
I'm meh about "meh."

Thanks for the tips! We did picnic during our drive last year and often set out a blanket at rest stops for him to roll around on. I'm really lucky in that big sister sits next to him and plays with him.
Driving all night isn't an option; when it's bedtime, he does not want to be in his seat. He will nap just fine (when he does, I do not stop for any reason!!!), but once it's bed time, he wants to be in a bed!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post34722197
DH Me DS (13) DD (12) Baby DS (1)
paintnolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Good point, and as OP is in IL, most of the IL rest stops have playgrounds. We always let our kids play a bit before we get back in the car. In other states, there's always the golden arches

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: