Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
tiawolfe
Earning My Ears

How do we keep neighborhood annoying kid from ruining our summer???

Background: we have two daughters, 6 and 8. DH and I are both high school teachers, so summer is a time for us to spend lots of family time and relax.

New neighbors down the street have a 6 year old daughter who is NOT a nice girl. While at our house, she tried to push my daughter down the stairs twice. She comes over at meal times because she has been left alone and is hungry. Her teenage siblings have her come over, and then call to say that they are going shopping/golfing/movies/whatever and will be home in a few hours.

I am extremely nonconfrontational and don't know what to do. Whenever my kids have other friends over this other girl comes over and ruins their playdates with her behavior. DH and I really don't want to deal with this all summer. As a working mom, I have some sympathy for my neighbor because she needs her child to be watched, but my summer is not her free daycare.

Suggestions??? I'm sure lots of you have had similar experiences.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

I'd have a conversation with her mother. Explain that your kids and her child are just very different and can't seem to find things to do together that they all enjoy. Don't get roped into accusing the neighbor kid of being agressive. Just say they don't get along and you don't want to play ref.

You have to stand up for what you want. If the child needs supervision she should be sent to camp or a sitter s/b hired.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiawolfe View Post
Background: we have two daughters, 6 and 8. DH and I are both high school teachers, so summer is a time for us to spend lots of family time and relax.

New neighbors down the street have a 6 year old daughter who is NOT a nice girl. While at our house, she tried to push my daughter down the stairs twice. She comes over at meal times because she has been left alone and is hungry. Her teenage siblings have her come over, and then call to say that they are going shopping/golfing/movies/whatever and will be home in a few hours.

I am extremely nonconfrontational and don't know what to do. Whenever my kids have other friends over this other girl comes over and ruins their playdates with her behavior. DH and I really don't want to deal with this all summer. As a working mom, I have some sympathy for my neighbor because she needs her child to be watched, but my summer is not her free daycare.

Stop opening the door. Tell her it isnt a good time for your kids to play. She tried twice to push your dd down stairs, you need to protect your kid. I an not saying the girl is a serial killer in,making, but it is apparent she doesn't know how to play nice.

Last edited by hereyago; 05-27-2013 at 01:20 PM.
hereyago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Uncle Remus
Raconteur
can't name 'em Jeb, George, and Barbara, these are GOOD dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiawolfe View Post

Call the mother and tell her the teens aren't watching or feeding the kid. And stop answering your door when that kid comes over.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
tiawolfe
Earning My Ears

You're both right- I will have to stand up for myself and talk to mom. I know this isn't a unique situation, but I am dreading dealing with this all summer. Time to be honest about the problem and enjoy my summer!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Tell her she cannot come over. Problem solved. Seriously, you need to stand up for your family and tell her to o home.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
hereyago
DIS Veteran

I do agree with Uncle Remus about talking to the mom about teens not taking care of her. If something were to happen to her, the mom may be held responsible.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

I don't wanna sound rude but you are a HS teacher and do not wanna deal with confrontation. How do you survive a day in school?

Only way this will end is to stand your ground. Answer the door and tell the girl flat out she is not welcome in your house as her behavior is unacceptable.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

A 6 year old is being left alone at home? I would be calling the police and CPS on those parents!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstch View Post
A 6 year old is being left alone at home? I would be calling the police and CPS on those parents!
She isn't technically being left alone, her siblings send her over to OP then call her and say they are going out.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Not opening the door is good when you're inside.

Fences are good when you're outside. Locked.

I feel sorry for the girl, but I agree you have to protect your own kids - and your sanity.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
Ciciwoowoo
we would both run like heck to get home before the ghosts got us!

It sounds as if you need to take charge of the situation in your own home. Its your house, so your rules.

If the little girl is not behaving, tell her she needs to play nicely or she will have to go home. I would oversee the play between your children and her. Don't be afraid to speak up!

I feel very sorry for this little girl. I would be one who would want to keep her just so she was getting fed and being watched, but that is me. I wouldn't put up with any nonsense, though.

I am one who is not afraid to correct a child, though. Comes from years of working at a daycare, I guess. To be honest, no parent has ever asked me to not say something to their child. I don't think they mind having another parent in their corner!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
4under4
DIS Veteran

We had a similar problem at our previous house and simply instituted a "we only interact on the street rule". This was really important [and easy for our kids to adapt to] because we use a Nanny during the summer, and there was NO WAY I would want her to take on extra kid watching. Our kids didn't need to know the exact "why" of the rule, simply that when Nanny was there, no extra kids allowed... and when we were home, it was "family time".

If all the neighborhood kids were out riding bikes (a cul-de-sac, so street riding was the norm), and I/DH/Nanny was watching, then no problem. The minute we didn't like something, we called my kids in for meal/snack/reading time/whatever, & left neighbors on the street to fend for the themselves.

OP: Not having the neighbor in the house is an easy fix... "Sorry Susie, DD can't play right now". If teenagers call again with a sly goodbye, then a FIRM "Susie isn't playing with us right now, she's outside on the street. We already have family plans, so you will need to take her with you." My guess is the teens are pulling one over on Mom, but whether she knows or not, there is no reason to play along.

Me & DH plus our gang: DS12 DS10 DD/DS8

4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
themilesfamily
Wanna potty with Spongebob Squarepants?

Every time she comes over, I would be at the door saying, "Sorry, Susie and Sally can't play today. Have a great day!" If you know for sure that she's being left alone and hungry, call CPS. Or talk to the mom if you feel inclined to go that route. Mom & Dad may need to come up with a better child-care plan. Perhaps Social Services can help them with that? I don't know what their financial situation is.

ETA: Do you know the parents or their situation? I know you said they're new...

Last edited by themilesfamily; 05-27-2013 at 02:46 PM.
themilesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I had this happen but with a boy. The Mom would have him come over, usually hungry, and then leave the neighborhood.
This kid was mean and would be nasty to my kids. I told him that if he couldn't behave, he had to go home which was when I'd find out that his parent had left the area - usually for hours and hours. He was always asking me to feed him every time he came over too.

After the 3rd time, I just told his mother that I wasn't her free babysitting service so he couldn't come over anymore. He tried to come over a few times and I sent him back home right away.

After that, he never came over again - problem solved.

And yes, I did get a reputation of being mean because she bad mouthed me to other neighbors. I didn't care and several other neighborhood Moms who she tried to take advantage of quickily realized I wasn't the problem - this kid who was mean and his Mom were the problems.

Since your issue involves teens leaving the kid at your place, I'd be chatting with the Mom so she is aware of whats going on and also letting her know the little girl can't come over and why.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: