Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #31
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

I too am happy with whatever phase of life I am in.

For me as a parent, the easiest parenting years have been age 5 to 14. Old enough to do things for themselves and not yet old enough to date and drive.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #32
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
Thanks for the great replies!

It's exhausting and I don't get much "me" time at all, but I am enjoying raising my 4 yr and 9 yr old girls.

My aunt tells me this is the best time of my life. Anyone disagree?
To answer the original question, yes, I'm glad my daughter is grown. We had wonderful experiences as she grew up. We homeschooled, horse showed, and thoroughly enjoyed her.

She's now married, and I still enjoy her company just as much. We talk daily and vacation together fairly often. I've recently retired and am usually the one who accompanies her out of town to horse shows.

To answer the question in the post above, I don't agree or disagree. Honestly, all of it has been great, and I've enjoyed each phase of our lives together.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #33
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ols386 View Post
Yes, but I loved the years raising them. Adult relationships with your children are different than they were when they were kids. I really enjoy the relationship I have with my grown kids.
I totally agree with this! I LOVED when my DSs were young, say birth to the tween years... then the teen years were rough for older DS and smooth sailing for younger DS.

Now, they are 25 and 22 years old, and all is well. DS22 just graduated college 2 weeks ago, is still working at his part-time job as a head cook for a local BBQ restaurant, and sending out resumes left and right, looking for a job within the range of his college major. DS25 is doing very well, working at a new job and spending his free time with good friends.

DS22 and his DGFriend of 4 1/2 years love to travel with DH and I; we've been to WDW and a Disney cruise with them, and are going back to WDW and another Disney cruise with them in 2014. It's more fun than I thought to be spending vacations with adult children. DS25 isn't a fan of cruising, but he enjoys WDW with us every so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
Thanks for the great replies!

It's exhausting and I don't get much "me" time at all, but I am enjoying raising my 4 yr and 9 yr old girls.

My aunt tells me this is the best time of my life. Anyone disagree?
I don't disagree with your aunt, but I have always found each stage of my DSs' life to be fun and interesting. I've truly enjoyed every step of the way, being a parent. Try and enjoy each stage; in retrospect they really do seem to fly by.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #34
intheworks
Mouseketeer

yes!
intheworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #35
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I wouldn't say that I'm glad that they're adults in the sense that I could hardly wait til they grew up. I enjoy them now as adults, just like I enjoyed them when they were infants, toddlers, tweens, teens, young adults... Each stage brought different experiences.

My 24 year old moved out of the house a few weeks ago, but we talk/text a lot, and do things together. My 25 year old just graduated from college, and he's preparing for his career, and plans to move out as soon as he can afford to. This tells me that I've raised two people who will be able to stand on their own two feet, which makes me very proud. Sure, I miss my "babies," but I don't spend my time wishing I could go back.

So, in that sense I can say I'm glad they're adults.

I think one of the gifts we can give our adult children is the freedom to grow away from us without the guilt that they have to spend time with us so we're not lonely for them. I've seen parents who resent their children's significant others because it meant less time for them as parents, and I just think that's so unfair to the kids.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #36
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Guess I'm the lone dissenter here, but I have one grown child and 2 still at home and I have to say definitely no. I like having my kids around and I wish my oldest was still living at home permanently. My other 2 are growing up so fast and are off doing their own thing now that it sometimes seems they have moved out! I'm making sure to enjoy each moment I have with them at home.

My kids have been my whole world for the past 21 years - I guess I'm not very good when it comes to adjusting to change. DH and I don't have much of a life as a couple so that it makes it all the more difficult.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #37
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

Yes, b.u.t. with 4 kiddos it really took some time and was bittersweet adjusting to an empty nest . Altho was hectic when they were little (all being born within 5 yr period) we loved and enjoyed raising our family, having a full house, involved in lots of activities, and all the different stages of hustle bustle.

In time, enjoyed watching them spread their wings, graduate college, marriage, and grow into loving responsible adults w/careers, homes, and families of their own. It’s a big comfort how close we all are, still spend a lot of time and like this week-end enjoy many holidays/trips together. In our big family, it's really wonderful we can count on each other to always be there.

Being older than the majority of you, it's also a pleasure when life becomes full circle . Luckily, now we’re able to enjoy many of same things with our 13 sweet grands , attending their activities help keep us young in spirit, love their visits and sleep overs, yet nice not to have their responsibility 24/7.

Honestly, our children, sweet grands, and life has turned out better than I ever imagined and we consider ourselves very blessed. It's specially wonderful at 76/66yo to be in descent health, will be celebrating our 50th annv. next year and still able to enjoy life to the fullest.

I encourage you to take time to smell the roses, not sweat the small stuff, as hopefully the best is yet to come!
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #38
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

Yes. I enjoy this stage of my life immensly. I enjoyed having the kids home when they were little. The first to move out and get married was hard on me, but it did get easier. I love having the families over for dinner or whatever when we can, but glad to have the house back later!

I have one left at home. I love him and want him to be successful but will be glad when I have the house completely to myself. Only mess to clean up is mine etc.

It seems I am more relaxed than I ever have been. I find more joy in life in general because I have less stressors.

Kelly
Old 05-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #39
RitaE
DIS Veteran

For my oldest -- you bet. He wasn't an easy teen to parent and I think we both heaved huge sighs of relief when the parental bonds were loosened and the responsibility and the consequences became all his. Now I can just give advice and then let him decide whether or not to take it. Since we aren't constantly in a power struggle over who is in charge, we can be friends. I probably have more and better conversations with him now than we ever did when he was younger.

For my almost 20 year old, not as much but I'll get there. I miss him terribly when he is away at school but now he's been back for two weeks and I'm reminded what the laundry and food bills are like.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #40
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I enjoy DS as a college student but I do sometimes miss the little boy that was so excited to see new places and learn new things. I know that he will move away when the time is right and that will really feel weird. I'm afraid that it will be way too quiet around here!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #41
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

OMG Yes!!!!

Mine will be 21 in January. He literally "grew up" on the DIS (good and bad times). I joined when he was 5.

I don't miss:

Barney
Kid Movies
Going to Orlando 6 times a year
School concerts
Daycare
Chuck E Cheese .

Everything else is basically still here. He still loves and respects me like he did when he was a kid, but now we talk about adult things and he makes his own money and even helps ME out financially. He's studying the same thing I did when I was in college so we have a ball discussing school. We have a LOT in common and it's like I gave birth to my best friend.

I don't want to see a baby or a toddler again in life until he makes me a grandma!

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #42
Keli
We're smarter than the average bear!
I would scrap everyday if I could
What do you think? You were raised in a barn?

I loved raising my dd and I miss that sweet little girl with huge eyes, incredible imagination, fun-loving attitude, and sweet disposition.
I loved raising my teenage dd and I miss that infectious laugh, mischievous grin, with her fun-loving attitude, and sweet disposition.
And now I love my adult dd who still has a fun-loving attitude, and sweet disposition and I'm loving watching her nurture her newborn son with tender care and lots of love.
All seasons of her life were good and I miss the ones that have passed and I am thoroughly enjoying the one we are in currently. Bet you feel the same way looking back.

1981-The early years. 2011-The not-so-early years
Keli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #43
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Smile

I loved the time that my girls were growing up, but, I also love this time. They are married have children and we have stayed close. I love the fact that I don't have to feel responsible for them. I will always be there for them as a safety net, if needed, but I have been able to let go and let them live their lives just like I wanted that freedom when I became an adult.

It isn't always easy. I've been known to tell them that no matter what age they are I will always be their Dad. It's not always easy to feel that they are possibly headed for problems and not say anything, but, you kinda have too.

They may not live with you any longer but you will always be their parent. That never changes no matter how old they get.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: