Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

WL v. Fort Wilderness - cannot make a decision

We are booked for WL (woods view) for our stay in August, but I can't help thinking we might have more fun if we stayed at Ft. Wilderness. DH is not a park person, although he does like MK, and we have a ton of ADRs. The price difference isn't really all that much, so that's not a consideration. I'm just wondering how much of a hassle the cabins are that would make me want to keep our reservation at WL.

Also, I've seen elsewhere that the easiest way to get from one to the other is by boat, but isn't walking faster?
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at both, and liked both very much, but they are totally different vacation experiences. I think the biggest comfort difference is that WL has queen size beds and the cabins have full size - so that may make a difference to you.

WL is a full service resort hotel, with all the appropriate amenities. You have room service, you have three levels of restaurants, everything is compact and quick to get to.

FW is almost like a neighborhood. The cabins are quiet, you have your own driveway for your car, and it feels like you're coming home at the end of the day. It takes a little more effort to get to the gift shop, or the restaurants, but the flip side of that is the extra privacy and serenity. It's also really nice to have the full size fridge instead of the dorm fridge, even if all you put in it is beverages.

As far as getting from one to the other, you can take a boat, or there is a bus that makes the very short trip from the Settlement Depot to WL and back. If you get lucky and the bus is already waiting, it takes about a minute to make the trip. If you get lucky and the boat is waiting (and heading there before going to CR - sometimes the boats go one direction and sometimes the other) it's about a 5-10 minute ride. My experience walking has been at a normal pace (not leisurely, not speed walking) it takes 15-20 minutes to get from WL to the Settlement Depot area near Pioneer Hall.

I've heard transportation gripes about both, but I haven't had any issues. My trips to the cabins have been solo, so I couldn't justify the expense of a golf cart. I didn't have any problems getting around on the FW bus system. In fact, I like the internal/external transportation set up at FW much more than the multi stop routes the moderates tend to have.

So it really depends on what type of vacation you want. It's easy enough to get back and forth between them if you want to stay at WL and still partake of the activities at FW. It's also easy enough to get to WL for dining (which I have done) from the Fort. If I had to make a choice I would say I prefer the campground when the weather is cool enough to get out and walk a lot, and WL is better in hot weather because it's all AC under one roof.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: