Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 07:30 AM   #61
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
To a certain extent, I can see it, but at the same time I cant. Logically with the ship moving the smoke would go straight back so looking off a bridge wing at the stern most likely they didnt see anything. At the same time, if they were arguing, then someone never went to look at the cameras, that most likely were near that area. Or had someone go look.
Hey there Buddy,

You have to remember this was 1989....did they have cameras?

Some of the story I saw in my motel room on the news that night.

The Master on the ship I was discharging cargo from, was telling me what he heard on the VHF.

The news reports were making a big deal of the passengers in life vests telling the cm's there was a fire before even the alarm went off.

Why the Master was saying there was no fire I do not know..........maybe they thought it was a small closet type fire and they were going to put it out themselves,,,,,,,but it turned into a much bigger fire.

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 05-31-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #62
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Maybe, but Id be curious about the "explosion" What she is describing sounds more like the ignition of gasses then a true explosion. If say a gas can leaks, the fumes will accumulate, until either they dissipate on their own, or they reach an ignition source. In the case of the mooring decks, that usually are bare steel that are painted, fumes (paint, solvents etc)could easily accumulate in the spaces between beams. all it would take would be a spark at the right time, or other other source, and the gasses would ignite. It would sound similar to an explosion, but it isnt. Its more of a deflagration or a flash fire.

Another option is that as the fire autoexposed from deck 3-4 the windows failed, and as they are relatively large, could make a sound of an explosion especially if the area directly above the fire is now heated to the point of a backdraft. When the windws failed either due to direct impingement of the fire auto exposing, or the steel deforming due to being heated from below, the area gets a gulp of air and basically the room flashes over.

All very possible, but couldn't a sealed or partially sealed can or drum of paint or some chemical, when heated, crack open, release for gas, which then with contact to the fire, then blow up?

The fire was going before the pop/explosion came.

Your the fire expert my friend!

AKK
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #63
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post

Why the Master was saying there was not fire I do not know..........maybe they thought it was a small closet type fire and they were going to put it out themselves,,,,,,,but it turned into a much bigger fire.

AKK

....much like a firefight you are somewhat overwhelmed by the initial incoming and must register direction and response so maybe the master was overwhelmed by the message and needed processing time.....not too much time or you will be overwhelmed.....probably this situation was the first time he/she was confronted with disasterous news like fire....
carpenta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #64
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Something else occurred to me. If they use sodium vapor lights( same ones they use in sports stadiums to light fields) that would account not only for the explosions( think of light bulb breaking but multiply the sound) which when they fail they fail catastrophically, they fail at over 2000 degrees spraying molten material in a pretty good arc around the light.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #65
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
....much like a firefight you are somewhat overwhelmed by the initial incoming and must register direction and response so maybe the master was overwhelmed by the message and needed processing time.....not too much time or you will be overwhelmed.....probably this situation was the first time he/she was confronted with disasterous news like fire....
You may indeed be right!

AKK
Old 05-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #66
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Something else occurred to me. If they use sodium vapor lights( same ones they use in sports stadiums to light fields) that would account not only for the explosions( think of light bulb breaking but multiply the sound) which when they fail they fail catastrophically, they fail at over 2000 degrees spraying molten material in a pretty good arc around the light.
Would that kind of failure produce a big fire ball and smoke? Or maybe the failure of the light, set off other material.

The gal mentioned that is what she saw just after the bang.

AKK
Old 05-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #67
truck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper

All very possible, but couldn't a sealed or partially sealed can or drum of paint or some chemical, when heated, crack open, release for gas, which then with contact to the fire, then blow up?

The fire was going before the pop/explosion came.

Your the fire expert my friend!

AKK
Yes. Something like a gallon paint container or other chemical would fail or even explode. The catch is that they are going somewhere when they do. You'll hear the initial fail then the container hitting an overhead or wall. Plus thered be more then 1 most likely. If a oxy acetolene bottle failed you'd hear a high pitched whistle with a jet of flame if its burning or near a fire. If that happens too long that bottle when it fails is going somewhere and there's no mistaking it when it fails and hits something. It'll dent steel beams.

Another thing I thought of is assuming that the winches are hydraulic a hydraulic tank failure due to heat would make a sound similar to an explosion.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #68
truck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper

Would that kind of failure produce a big fire ball and smoke? Or maybe the failure of the light, set off other material.

The gal mentioned that is what she saw just after the bang.

AKK
When they fail they fail at 2000 degrees. If there is material near them say mooring lines they'll pretty much spontaneously combust and burn. On the assumption that there was drums of paint or solvents from continued maint from DD they could go also. Its like dropping a molotov cocktail on something.

I'm still looking for that report or a similar one. Everyone I've seen so far has been the We were afraid for our lives. The pics I've seen from RCL are telling me different from what the people are saying.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #69
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When they fail they fail at 2000 degrees. If there is material near them say mooring lines they'll pretty much spontaneously combust and burn. On the assumption that there was drums of paint or solvents from continued maint from DD they could go also. Its like dropping a molotov cocktail on something.

I'm still looking for that report or a similar one. Everyone I've seen so far has been the We were afraid for our lives. The pics I've seen from RCL are telling me different from what the people are saying.
As in RCI is downplaying or guests are exaggerating?
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #70
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
Just read two TOTALLY different first-hand reports on Cruise Critic. Just shows that attitude is everything! :-)
Sub thread:

I know this comment will probably flare a lot of people up, but after going through some of the Cruise Critic threads, I REALLY love you people! Even when you disagree, you are usually nice people. The same cannot be said of the other cruise line posters...yikes...it sorta reads like a pirana tank to me...

<--group hug

(I experienced the difference too in person. The Disney cruisers were literally the nicest people I've cruised with. (Including nice lady who offered to take our photos and email them back to us after the trip since we didn't have a camera! We responded nicely back by emailing her a $25 Disney voucher.) Everyone was super nice on Castaway, we personally didn't experience anyone hogging chairs or tables etc. (Can't say that about BL, Dad almost got into two 'fights' over people 'saving' chairs -with nothing on them! BL of course excepts tourists from all cruse lines or hotels. Castaway, just Disney family...)
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
Old 05-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #71
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
Sub thread:

I know this comment will probably flare a lot of people up, but after going through some of the Cruise Critic threads, I REALLY love you people! Even when you disagree, you are usually nice people. The same cannot be said of the other cruise line posters...yikes...it sorta reads like a pirana tank to me...

<--group hug

(I experienced the difference too in person. The Disney cruisers were literally the nicest people I've cruised with. (Including nice lady who offered to take our photos and email them back to us after the trip since we didn't have a camera! We responded nicely back by emailing her a $25 Disney voucher.) Everyone was super nice on Castaway, we personally didn't experience anyone hogging chairs or tables etc. (Can't say that about BL, Dad almost got into two 'fights' over people 'saving' chairs -with nothing on them! BL of course excepts tourists from all cruse lines or hotels. Castaway, just Disney family...)
I was thinking the same thing when I was reading the people on Cruise Critic...however, sometimes some people on this site get a little too "aggressive" also. But it is just a few and you see their names over and over as the ones egging people on. I wish they could see how they come across, lol!

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #72
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sub thread:

<--group hug

I totally agree gals!..........the DCL forum here is like a Sunday social, compared to the knock down drag out fights on CC.

AKK
Old 05-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #73
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

(Tonka, just for reference, I currently am just one half of the gals. The other is on the other side of the continent. )
Old 05-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #74
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
(Tonka, just for reference, I currently am just one half of the gals. The other is on the other side of the continent. )
My Pardon, you mermaids gals sure swim around a lot...

AKK.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #75
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post

It's my understanding that the CMs in the clubs take the kids to the proper muster stations (for DCL, their muster station is on their wrist band). I too would have a hard time waiting for someone to bring my children. DH and I had a plan that he would go to room and grab lifejackets while I went to kids' club for kids. Even if they wouldn't give them to me until we reached the muster station and they could verify id or whatever, at least I would be able to see them!!
I think we'll plan something like that too. Our cabin is on the same deck as kids club so that would work out.

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW Jan 2016 Marathon weekend here I come!
dizzyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: