Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #46
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E ticket rider View Post
I think it was the Ecstasy that caught fire off Miami. The story was they were repairing (I think welding) some equipment in the laundry when a spark caught some lint residuals in a dryer vent and the place went up in a flash. The vent led to the mooring deck and the fire quickly spread to the mooring lines. I believe they also said there were some chemicals on the mooring deck that helped fuel the fire.
It was Ecstacy. I looked after I posted. I remembered seeing the pics of her with the tugs firing water at her stern and thinking, there not doing much since the water wasnt reaching the seat of the fire.

If they were the synthetic mooring lines, if Im not mistaken they are basically oil based which burn hotter then a natural line. Put them in a metal box (mooring deck) and things go from bad to worse real quick.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #47
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

I was actually in Miami that day, discharging a shipment of steel coils.

The USCG was talking to the Master on VHS and the Captain was arguing his ship was not on fire.

At the same time, the passenger saw the fire on local news broadcasts form helos and were coming on deck with Life vests and the CMs were asking them why!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #48
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Hey Truck,

I mentioned that on another thread..........drums of oil or lube oil or paint stuff..........all a possibility. I often had materials like that stored in sheltered areas on deck.

Where ever they store those kind of items there is likely to be some spillage, the deck could have have had some residue on it.

AKK
....or a pile of chemical soaked disgarded rags and..... poof....spontanious combustion....
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #49
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
....or a pile of chemical soaked disgarded rags and..... poof....spontanious combustion....

All very true!

AKK
Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #50
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Tonka,

Did you read that there was an explosion? (Not initially, from first hand accounts.) Have you read some more of those first hand accounts? It is quite eye opening, at least to me...

I bet that would have blown those windows out perhaps?
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #51
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Good question, I would expect the CMs would be handy to tell you where to go. Most likely the opposite side of the vessel and you may be in a life raft instead of a boat.

If you could not find someone, That is where I would go with my family, the opposite side and stay near the life rafts unless they direct you into a lifeboat.

If you to be in a life raft, you would have to get in the water, the life rafts will be launched overboard and automatically inflated or if some when down with the ship, they would automatically float free of the vessel and automately inflate.

Something to keep in mind, the life rafts all inflate by means of a line you will see extending from one end, if for some reason the life raft is not inflated, pull the line out and the Ralf will inflate.

AKK
If kids are in the clubs do they all go to a specific muster station with the cm's? I can't imagine me calmly waiting in one place on the ship while my kids are somewhere else!

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW Jan 2016 Marathon weekend here I come!
dizzyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #52
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyr View Post
If kids are in the clubs do they all go to a specific muster station with the cm's? I can't imagine me calmly waiting in one place on the ship while my kids are somewhere else!
It's my understanding that the CMs in the clubs take the kids to the proper muster stations (for DCL, their muster station is on their wrist band). I too would have a hard time waiting for someone to bring my children. DH and I had a plan that he would go to room and grab lifejackets while I went to kids' club for kids. Even if they wouldn't give them to me until we reached the muster station and they could verify id or whatever, at least I would be able to see them!!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #53
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyr View Post
NO.NO.NO....it my understanding the MC's will bring the kids to there proper muster station.

AKK
Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #54
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
Tonka,

Did you read that there was an explosion? (Not initially, from first hand accounts.) Have you read some more of those first hand accounts? It is quite eye opening, at least to me...

I bet that would have blown those windows out perhaps?

Afternoon Ladies!

I read that account this morning. The gal said there was a explosion on the mooring deck, port side. There was a flash of fire and smoke blowing out form the port side.

That fits in with what we have all been saying about the possibility that there were other items like oil, chemicals, paint etc., stored in that area.

AKK
Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #55
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Just read two TOTALLY different first-hand reports on Cruise Critic. Just shows that attitude is everything! :-)

Here's a link to the pics from one poster. Her room was aft deck 7: http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...9df4593a4967b4

Also, if it will let me, here's a link to her blog: http://staynegative.blogspot.com/201...imore-for.html

Seems like it would've been a long night (morning?) but glad to hear everyone was ok!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #56
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
Just read two TOTALLY different first-hand reports on Cruise Critic. Just shows that attitude is everything! :-)

Here's a link to the pics from one poster. Her room was aft deck 7: http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...9df4593a4967b4

Also, if it will let me, here's a link to her blog: http://staynegative.blogspot.com/201...imore-for.html

Seems like it would've been a long night (morning?) but glad to hear everyone was ok!
Good first-hand perspective from the cruiser. You're right, attitude is everything. The positive reports on Cruise Critic after the Triumph fire were interesting after all the negative interviews on the news. If ever faced with something like this at sea, I only hope I can be as pleasant about it as this woman was in her blog.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #57
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

WOW!! That's a BIG doggone fire!! Aft, was it? Maybe I'll need to rethink my love of aft staterooms.

I've always said that I didn't think, in an emergency, that I would even remember where my muster station was. I'd probably run to the nearest one, like a chicken with its head cut off.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #58
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
geashhh........my friend like you I am not a fan of Carnival.........but you have to wonder!

PS As far as I know CARNIVAL has not brought RCCL, they are having enough money problems with there own issues!

AKK

PS I have amended my position on Carnival some.........right now I would sail on the Sunshine and the Triumph, when she comes out of the yard. They are likely 2 of the safest cruise ships afloat right now!

AKK

I think you would have liked the Carnival Magic, that I was on. Really pretty new ship. Clean, and the crew were great. Lots of nice features for kids and for adults. Not as "flashy" as their older ships.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #59
truck1

Quote:
I was actually in Miami that day, discharging a shipment of steel coils.

The USCG was talking to the Master on VHS and the Captain was arguing his ship was not on fire.

At the same time, the passenger saw the fire on local news broadcasts form helos and were coming on deck with Life vests and the CMs were asking them why!

AKK
To a certain extent, I can see it, but at the same time I cant. Logically with the ship moving the smoke would go straight back so looking off a bridge wing at the stern most likely they didnt see anything. At the same time, if they were arguing, then someone never went to look at the cameras, that most likely were near that area. Or had someone go look.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #60
truck1

Quote:
Afternoon Ladies!

I read that account this morning. The gal said there was a explosion on the mooring deck, port side. There was a flash of fire and smoke blowing out form the port side.

That fits in with what we have all been saying about the possibility that there were other items like oil, chemicals, paint etc., stored in that area.

AKK
Maybe, but Id be curious about the "explosion" What she is describing sounds more like the ignition of gasses then a true explosion. If say a gas can leaks, the fumes will accumulate, until either they dissipate on their own, or they reach an ignition source. In the case of the mooring decks, that usually are bare steel that are painted, fumes (paint, solvents etc)could easily accumulate in the spaces between beams. all it would take would be a spark at the right time, or other other source, and the gasses would ignite. It would sound similar to an explosion, but it isnt. Its more of a deflagration or a flash fire.

Another option is that as the fire autoexposed from deck 3-4 the windows failed, and as they are relatively large, could make a sound of an explosion especially if the area directly above the fire is now heated to the point of a backdraft. When the windws failed either due to direct impingement of the fire auto exposing, or the steel deforming due to being heated from below, the area gets a gulp of air and basically the room flashes over.

Last edited by truck1; 05-30-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: