Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

RCCL Granduer fire, out now.

According to information now available:

The RCCL Grandeur had a fire on the aft mooring deck, decks 3/4. The fire was put out in 2 hours. No injuries from the fire.

USCG Helos and the carnival Sensation was standing by.

The passengers were mustered at fire stations, the boats lowered to loading positions. apparently a few passengers became ill wait standing by lifeboats.

The vessel is under full power and services, heading to Freeport.

Will post any new info as I get it.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
According to information now available:

The RCCL Grandeur had a fire on the aft mooring deck, decks 3/4. The fire was put out in 2 hours. No injuries from the fire.

USCG Helos and the carnival Sensation was standing by.

The passengers were mustered at fire stations, the boats lowered to loading positions. apparently a few passengers became ill wait standing by lifeboats.

The vessel is under full power and services, heading to Freeport.

Will post any new info as I get it.

AKK

So I'm having coffee and posting to FB on my iPAD and Fox News is on in the background. I hear "Carnival cruise ship" in the background. Whoa, what? We sail on Carnival in 5 day! I back it up (DVRs are awesome) and see the caption says Royal Carribbean....but the commentator says Carnival!

So now I'm wondering if this was just a slip of the tongue because they are so used to reporting bad news for Carnival or did Carnival buy RCCL?
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
So now I'm wondering if this was just a slip of the tongue because they are so used to reporting bad news for Carnival or did Carnival buy RCCL?
Carnival did not buy RCCL.

The commentor probably did it just to peak people's interest.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
So I'm having coffee and posting to FB on my iPAD and Fox News is on in the background. I hear "Carnival cruise ship" in the background. Whoa, what? We sail on Carnival in 5 day! I back it up (DVRs are awesome) and see the caption says Royal Carribbean....but the commentator says Carnival!

geashhh........my friend like you I am not a fan of Carnival.........but you have to wonder!

PS As far as I know CARNIVAL has not brought RCCL, they are having enough money problems with there own issues!

AKK

PS I have amended my position on Carnival some.........right now I would sail on the Sunshine and the Triumph, when she comes out of the yard. They are likely 2 of the safest cruise ships afloat right now!

AKK
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

The vessel is alongside the dock in Freeport and RCCL emergency personal boarding.

I am sure government and Bahamian Coast guard etc., will also be boarding.

Seems a few lounges and cabins are damaged at least from water and unusable.

No word as yet if the cruise will continue or if passengers will be flown home.

AKK
Old 05-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

FYI

Royal Caribbean International Statement

May 27, 2013

On Monday, May 27, at approximately 2:50 a.m. ET, Grandeur of the Seas experienced a fire on the mooring area of deck 3. The fire has since been extinguished.

In an abundance of caution, the Captain deemed it necessary to muster all guests at their assembly stations. All 2,224 guests and 796 crew have been accounted for, and there have been no injuries of guests or crew reported. The safety of our guests and crew is our top priority, and we will continue to focus on their needs and concerns.

Grandeur of the Seas was enroute to CocoCay, Bahamas, but is currently heading to Freeport, Bahamas, for further evaluation. The ship is in calm seas, and has full power.

Grandeur of the Seas is currently on a seven-night sailing that departed Baltimore, Maryland, on May 24, and includes port calls to Port Canaveral, Florida; CocoCay and Nassau, Bahamas. For more information regarding the Friday, May 24, sailing of Grandeur of the Seas call 1-866- 562- 7625
Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
NoodlesMom
Mouseketeer

I'm supposed to board this ship for a cruise to Bermuda in a few weeks. I hope it doesn't get cancelled. So far, RCL has done a very good job at keeping the public updated. The ship will be evaluated in Freeport.
Pop Century 7/2007- 1st Trip-- Disney Cruise on the Magic 2009--Pop Century 6/2010-- One Night Premium B-day trip ASsp/Dolphin 9/2010-- Saratoga Springs Resort 7/2011 -- Beach Club Villas/Disney Dream 9/2011!Disney Dream 02/13 Adults Only!11/13 Disney Dream/ Swan Thanksgiving Surf and Turf!
NoodlesMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

This is why you need to take Muster drills seriously!

https://twitter.com/RoyalCaribPR/sta...171457/photo/1

AKK
Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesMom View Post
I'm supposed to board this ship for a cruise to Bermuda in a few weeks. I hope it doesn't get cancelled. So far, RCL has done a very good job at keeping the public updated. The ship will be evaluated in Freeport.

Pleased to note that the CEO and other executives of RCCL are in route to the Grandeur now!

Well done RCCL!

AKK
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper

Pleased to note that the CEO and other executives of RCCL are in route to the Grandeur now!

Well done RCCL!

AKK
Any idea how the fire started at almost 3 am? That would be a scary time to muster indeed!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
Any idea how the fire started at almost 3 am? That would be a scary time to muster indeed!

There is no report on cause as yet.

You are indeed right, that place that should be empty at 0300 in the morning. All that is there are mooring lines and electrical winches.

Guessing here...........a electrical short in the winch's or power supply cables?......maybe it started somewhere nearby the mooring deck??

I am sure we will here something in the future.

AKK
Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Any update as to whether they will continue this cruise yet?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
Any update as to whether they will continue this cruise yet?
All that decided is that the vessel will stay in Freeport overnight.

AKK
Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper

There is no report on cause as yet.

You are indeed right, that place that should be empty at 0300 in the morning. All that is there are mooring lines and electrical winches.

Guessing here...........a electrical short in the winch's or power supply cables?......maybe it started somewhere nearby the mooring deck??

I am sure we will here something in the future.

AKK
I heard that it literally just finished 48 Mil refurbishment. Wonder if it is related? If not, bit of a bummer...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

The first reports out of the USCG is the fire did begin on the aft mooring deck (deck 3), but it also went up to deck 6. a lounge.

This is no longer a minor fire, and depending on the extent of fire and damage it could be a delay of a few days to clean her up and go to a shipyard after a few weeks to allow repair parts and sections to be made or she staying right in Freeport for a few weeks.

The important part is that no one was hurt and the crew did a excellent job in putting out the fire!

AKK

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: