Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #31
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl
I just wonder how anxious people handled life before dogs became welcome everywhere. I don't doubt that some need them but many seem to self-diagnose or just want their pup with them. It's annoying but I don't see what can be done.
This.

What about ppl who have severe allergies to dogs? How is their stress addressed?

If I see a dog in a pool, I'll be speaking to a manager.

There are other ways to deal with stress. Stay home and chill with your dog comes to mind.

Seizure dogs are different and likely comprise very few of the dogs you see everywhere now.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #32
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asta View Post
This is just crazy. One of my daughters was attacked by a dog and is extremely afraid to be around them. If she encounters one she would need more emotional assistance than any dog could help. It would totally upset her if a dog came close or really anywhere near her.
A service dog wouldn't approach her. A service dog is well-trained. A service dog/animal
is covered by the ADA. It's the dogs that aren't covered, that aren't trained or well-behaved, that concern me.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #33
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I have to agree; it seems like lately this particular moderator has been a bit over the top.

Feel free to "ding" me.
I thought about inviting an infraction; then I figured if this board's Moderators feel my other post deserves one, they'll give it to me whether I ask or not.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #34
paintnolish
You'd think a sniff in the general vicinity would be sufficient
I mean, how much more can a dead guy do?!?
I'm meh about "meh."

We actually talked with a lady in Epcot with a service dog. She was sitting on a bench with a small dog on her lap. She asked the kids if they wanted to pet it and proceeded to tell us the dog could detect her seizures. Pretty cool
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post34722197
DH Me DS (13) DD (12) Baby DS (1)
paintnolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #35
asta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
A service dog wouldn't approach her. A service dog is well-trained. A service dog/animal
is covered by the ADA. It's the dogs that aren't covered, that aren't trained or well-behaved, that concern me.
If they are harnessed and tightly controlled I might be able to talk her down. It would still make for some very miserable moments for her. To her dogs are still animals capable of inflicting pain. What concerns me is that I seem to be hearing about people with dogs just sitting in people's laps. No way would that be OK.
asta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #36
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

asta, no properly trained service dog will attack anyone unless that dog sees a very clear danger to itself or possibly it's owner. If she's afraid, she just needs to stay away from the dog, it's that simple.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #37
asta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
asta, no properly trained service dog will attack anyone unless that dog sees a very clear danger to itself or possibly it's owner. If she's afraid, she just needs to stay away from the dog, it's that simple.
She can try and stay away but I'm afraid with the crowds at WDW it might not be her choice. You can sometimes get jostled around in the crowds. I can see someone being pushed during parades, exits or outdoor shows. If you are pushed toward one of these dogs or it's owner, how do they know that you are not a threat? And I have had conversations with people here who have talked about hitting people with their ECVs because they deserve it for getting in the way. How do we know a dog would not be used likewise? It may not seem like much to a dog person but it is a terrifying thought to people who have bad experiences with dogs.
asta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #38
Sammie
DIS Veteran

There are many types of dogs that assist humans, sadly also many humans will find a way to take advantage and bring a pet and pass it off as an assistance dog.

I have a friend that trains DAD, Dogs that assist diabetics.

These dogs never work without a vest showing they are a dog at work. They would never growl or be anything except extremely well behaved.

This is a grey area with the resorts and people know that.

To me bringing a dog that calms your blood pressure is not a service dog.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #39
Threeboysandachickie
Make a Wish trip mommy

I have a searing eye dog. We travel quite a bit. Here are my thoughts.

1. I have an ADA identification card that I am asked to provide proof of, even when my dog us wearing his guide dog harness

2. These dogs are trained to hold their bathroom duties for hours, and you are trained as a responsible owner to always use the correct "facilities" the use of a potty pad in public makes me sick. If a blind person can manage to find and pick up their dogs #2, you can find the dog potty area. There are set aside areas for this need!

3. I travel to Florida quite often, but I leave my dog in the comfy air conditioning. I use my cane or my children as my guide. I would never risk his safety by burning his feet or overheating just to take him to a park where he would be mauled by people, scared by loud fireworks, and left in a kennel while I rode a ride. This is irresponsible pet care.

4. The dog in the pool is just ridiculous. They should have been kicked out of the resort and that person should not be aloud to own a "therapy/service" dog. I would have reported them to a manager. Use your in room bathtub if your dog is hot.

5. Those teaching your children never to approach a working animal YOU are correct. If my dog was distracted by children I could run into something. Never let your child approach an animal, even if we are "just" sitting at a bench. Please don't ask to pet my dog, if one child sees your child petting him, they will approach in droves. It is hard to tell a child no, especially when the parent has already started petting.

Many people do not respect service dogs and their owners, this thread is a reason why. I had to be trained for 4 weeks before I could bring my dog home. One week of that training was public behavior and "rules" of society.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Visiting the darkside yearly since 2004
Staying onsite RPR or hrh
Threeboysandachickie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #40
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by asta View Post

She can try and stay away but I'm afraid with the crowds at WDW it might not be her choice. You can sometimes get jostled around in the crowds. I can see someone being pushed during parades, exits or outdoor shows. If you are pushed toward one of these dogs or it's owner, how do they know that you are not a threat? And I have had conversations with people here who have talked about hitting people with their ECVs because they deserve it for getting in the way. How do we know a dog would not be used likewise? It may not seem like much to a dog person but it is a terrifying thought to people who have bad experiences with dogs.
I have to agree with this. My DS14 was just nipped by a dog when he was about 4 or 5. It was my dads dog. A friendly dog. My son was riding his scooter and got too close to my dad as he was turning/flipping the scooter around. Dog took that as a threat, and nipped hard enough to draw blood, at my sons ankle. Dogs are animals, you just don't know. And yes, we are animal lovers, and have a dog of our own, same breed that bit him, too. A pitbull.

A friend of mines daughter was bit in the face by her own dog around 2 or 3, she grew up being terrified of dogs even getting near her.

The service/therapy/etc dog may not attack her, but if she is standing somewhere, turns around, and the dog is near her, I see that being a problem for asta & her family.

Now, dog in the pool, that is gross, I would have complained. Let the dog swim in the lake or bathtub if its that important lol.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #41
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
As a side note, in the airport I saw a medical dog of some sort that was wearing a harness, but then the harness had a patch that said "ask to pet me, I'm friendly". I thought that was crazy, talk about sending mixed messages!

Actually, it's kind of brilliant. "Ask to pet me" reminds people that just running up and petting a service animal is not okay. That tag probably reduces the number of faux pas in that area.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #42
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Not to turn this into a terrible story thread but I did see one service dog in DHS that I almost alerted CMs to myself. It was clearly not a service dog and the family had no clue how to handle it. What I could see it appeared the family had a large dog that they say is a service dog but it is no way properly trained and they were I'm no way properly handling the dog. First it was on a 10' lead. Every service dog I've ever worked with was on 5' or less and typically in a harness. Also they were not using any commands. The dog was pulling the owner while chasing squirrels and the owners were just shouting at the dog. Not saying heal, not say stop, not saying no just yelling the dogs name and slow down. I had never seen someone with my own eyes until that point with a dog that was terribly behaved and a potential danger to guests and the wild life.

Now for those that are worried there aren't that many service dogs in the parks at any given time. In my year of employment I have seen maybe 10 or less. Many of them are unseen and unheard so you wouldn't even notice them.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #43
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I don't have a problem with people needing a dog for whatever reason, but if you have to have a placard to park in a handicapped space then you should have to have a license or vest/harness on a service dog, whether it's for anxiety or one that does a task such as seeing/hearing, or helping with physical tasks.

I don't see the difference between the two. Need a close parking space get a placard, need a dog with you in a non-dog place then get a license/vest. No placard on car no parking. No vest and license then no entry.

Last edited by bookgirl; 05-27-2013 at 10:31 PM.
bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #44
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

My DD has a huge fear if dogs, especially small ones, since she was almost bitten by one on the ankle by a little dog. I have tried to explain to her , how she is bigger than those dogs, tried to ease her fears, but she almost starts crying when she is near a dog. She saw a small dog ( I think it was a yorkie) at Epcot in March, looked for a vest to show her to mark it as a service dogm, but nothing. I did speak to the first manager I saw, and asked about dogs in the parks without identification as a working dog, because it caused undue anxiety for my DD impacting her day.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #45
tkgdisney
Mouseketeer

I have a severe allergy to dogs and have issues if a dog has stayed in the room I am in. I totally understand the service animal in the park, but nothing else. I carry meds at all times, but don't want to use them so someone does not have to use a kennel for the day. I also would worry about the heat and cement on their paws at a park.
tkgdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: