Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

fireflies or lightning bugs?

What do you call them and do you have them in your area? Just sitting on our back porch watching them, feeling the last cool air we'll have for a while and smelling the sweet fragrance of our lower bay magnolias in bloom. The simple things in life...

Last edited by Southernmiss; 05-26-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
What do you call them and do you have them in your area? Just sitting on our back porch watching them, feeling the last cool air we'll have for a while and smelling the sweet fragrance of our lower bay magnolias in bloom. The simple things in life...
I call them lightning bugs. I love sitting outside on the deck at night when they're out putting on a show.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

Lightning Bugs!!

One of my most favorite things about summer!!

I remember, as a little girl, catching lightning bugs in old mayonnaise jars or mason jars & then keeping them in my bedroom that night and watching them blink on & off!

There's nothing like running barefoot through the summer night catching lightning bugs! And we've passed the tradition down to our own kids!!

Sitting on the porch... watching the lightning bugs blink on & off... summer in the south!!

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 5 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
tluvstink
DIS Veteran

Lightening bugs!!! The only bug I looked for growing up

Terri
tluvstink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
tennvalgirl
DIS Veteran

Lightning Bugs. The only kind of bugs that won't eat you alive outside at night
Old 05-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

Lightning bugs.......one of my favorite things of summer. I used to tell my boys that they were stars going up to the sky.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Lightening bugs here in NJ. We get them but not until later in the summer - July & August. I remember as a kid having it be a big treat to be able to stay up late enough to catch them. My mom is a morning person and with 4 little kids we were usually put to bed before dark.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy31
Lightning Bugs!!

One of my most favorite things about summer!!

I remember, as a little girl, catching lightning bugs in old mayonnaise jars or mason jars & then keeping them in my bedroom that night and watching them blink on & off!

There's nothing like running barefoot through the summer night catching lightning bugs! And we've passed the tradition down to our own kids!!

Sitting on the porch... watching the lightning bugs blink on & off... summer in the south!!
Same here! Always loved those lightnin' bugs!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

We call them both. I just asked DS14 "what do you call those little bugs with the butts that light up?" and he said "Firefly-lightning bugs?" So, I'm not the only one who uses both interchangeably.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
gcoolie
I do believe in fairies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
Lightning bugs here in KC, but they won't show up until later in June. I also like the cicadas, which get very loud here. We always called those zizzer (sp?) bugs. I love summer.

Last edited by gcoolie; 05-26-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: So that ChrisFL's efforts were worth it :)
gcoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
LJC1861
DIS Veteran
Suffers from a Tag Fairy Complex

Here in Western NC and Tennessee they are Fireflies. For two weeks in June, in the Elkmont section of The Great Smoky Mountains National Park they actually blink in unison. I know it sounds crazy...but it is true.

This only happens in the park and in Bali, and the fireflies congregate in the forests and fields for about 2 weeks in early June. For the first few days it takes them awhile to achieve the unison, but by the mid point in the two week stretch they literally do blink together.

You can take a shuttle bus from the Sugarland Visitor center to the forest right near the Elkmont campground. From their they give you a red cellophane to put over your flashlight...so as not to disturb the fireflies.....and you can walk really deep into the woods down a road. Find a spot, sit and wait until it is totally dark. Then.....a flash of light, and it is dark again. This continues all night long and it is amazing. The light is so bright that it lights up like a flash of lightning.

If you ever have an opportunity to get to the GSMNP.....in June, you have to try to see this amazing spectacle.

Linda
LJC1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
handinpocket
DIS Veteran

I use them interchangeably.
handinpocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC1861
Here in Western NC and Tennessee they are Fireflies. For two weeks in June, in the Elkmont section of The Great Smoky Mountains National Park they actually blink in unison. I know it sounds crazy...but it is true.

This only happens in the park and in Bali, and the fireflies congregate in the forests and fields for about 2 weeks in early June. For the first few days it takes them awhile to achieve the unison, but by the mid point in the two week stretch they literally do blink together.

You can take a shuttle bus from the Sugarland Visitor center to the forest right near the Elkmont campground. From their they give you a red cellophane to put over your flashlight...so as not to disturb the fireflies.....and you can walk really deep into the woods down a road. Find a spot, sit and wait until it is totally dark. Then.....a flash of light, and it is dark again. This continues all night long and it is amazing. The light is so bright that it lights up like a flash of lightning.

If you ever have an opportunity to get to the GSMNP.....in June, you have to try to see this amazing spectacle.

Linda
I have heard of this and it's on my bucket list. Love the Smokey mountains. One if my favorite places.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
AKchristmasqueen
Earning My Ears

I grew up in the Midwest and we called them lightening bugs. Some of my favorite memories as a child is watching and catching them. We live in Alaska now, sadly no lightening bugs here. I took my son to visit family in Missouri and went to catch lightening bugs, but my son wouldn't go through the tall grass through the trees
To chase them- he was too worried about bears, wolves, and moose. He didn't quite get that we weren't in Alaska anymore! Lol!
AKchristmasqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

I've actually just always called them "light bugs" for some reason. Maybe that's how I heard "lightning bug" as a child, or it's what they were called in my part of Oklahoma.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: