Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Octoberbride03
I think Tweetie done gone Cuckoo
Been there, done that, married the man!

Kittens!

Are living under my front porch We found this out today. We have known about a hole in the grate of the cinderblocks, and have on occasion spied cats using it as a rain shelter. Well now its apparently home to a momma and her 3 kittens. She just let them out for a romp on our steps. They look to be about 6-8 weeks old. Cute as buttons.

Advice and suggestions on this? I'm inclined to leave them alone and hope they move on, but how feasible is this?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Too bad you don't live on the lefthand coast. I would love to have a new kitten.

I doubt they will move on if they have found comfort in the shelter of your porch. Do you have a local shelter or rescue that will come and take them?

The best thing is to get them ALL including the momma fixed so there are not 9 more kittens come fall. All enjoying the comfort and shelter of your porch.

Another option is to put up an add in the grocery or petstore for free kittens. That won't help with the momma but might get the kittens new homes.

Good luck in finding a solution.
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberbride03 View Post
Are living under my front porch We found this out today. We have known about a hole in the grate of the cinderblocks, and have on occasion spied cats using it as a rain shelter. Well now its apparently home to a momma and her 3 kittens. She just let them out for a romp on our steps. They look to be about 6-8 weeks old. Cute as buttons.

Advice and suggestions on this? I'm inclined to leave them alone and hope they move on, but how feasible is this?
They may move on, but they may not, and you may find a LOT more kittens soon! Been there done that, we had 3 pregnant female strays here at one time, they gave birth within 1 month of each other, we found good homes for 12 kittens, and then had the 3 females fixed, so at least those 3 won't be having any more!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

See if you can find a rescue that will take the kittens NOW, while they're still at the cute as buttons stage (Offer $$$$ as inducement) and get them good homes. Get momma fixed. You may find it easier to borrow a havaheart trap from a rescue to catch and cart momma around. The rescue group will also know where you can get momma fixed for cheap.

Then I would feed momma and make sure she has a warm place to sleep and keep momma as an outdoor cat. If you have momma, you're less likely to have other cats take advantage of your underporch and its amenities (and have to go through this again). Heck, I'd probably keep at least one of the kittens as well. (But momma will be plenty, I'm sure.)
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Octoberbride03

I have a dog and a cockatiel. I'm not bringing any cats in the house. I'll probably check with my vet this week about what they suggest as long as it doesn't cost me any money. I have no money to get 1 cat fixed let alone 4 We "think" momma used to live next door part time until the family moved. If she did I don't know how much of an indoor cat she was.

I'm not opposed to catching the kittens IF I can get it done without momma scratching me. She's very protective of course.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Check with your local SPCA for vouchers to get the cat fixed. We had a stray fixed a couple of years ago for $10 with an SPCA voucher.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Definitely get the kittens now - you don't wan them to be feral.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

Please contact a rescue in your area...not an animal shelter. The rescue will help you more
Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
hereyago
DIS Veteran

May I suggest the Isle of Wight County Humane society. I know your city has a place, but say if the mom and or babies are FIV or could have it, I am not sure if your city would put them down automatically.

I adopted our kitty from Isle of Wight and he had 2 siblings that were FIV and and were open about the FIV. They also foster the animals, our cat is a sweetheart and I believe it is because of the care and love he was given.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
Jey12
DIS Veteran

Don't wait. Start calling rescue groups now. You can go on petfinder and look up local ones in your area or your vet should have some ideas. They more than likely won't go away and the females will have their own litters by fall and the males will start spraying urine to mark their territory around that time as well. Not to mention the cat feces and chance of disease, along with fleas they may carry. Cats can do an amazing amount of damage to an area in a short period of time. The best thing for you and the cats are to get them out of there as soon as possible. Sadly this time of year many rescues are full of cats and kittens and you may have to call several to find one with the space. If you cannot locate a rescue willing to take these guys on you may need to contact animal control and have them come remove the strays. Some areas also have feral cat programs where they will spay/neuter them, test for FELUK and FIV, vaccinate and then move them into feral cat safe areas or adopt them out to be barn cats.
Jey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
Octoberbride03

We're gonna call our vet tomorrow and see what they say. We actually have neighbors interested in the kittens except they have 2 dogs so its a question of how the dogs and and kitten would get along. Dh & I would prefer to see the kittens(at least) go to good homes. And our vet is active in rehoming pets. So we'll see what they say.

I have no problem grabbing the kittens provided momma does not maul me or DH. Safety is #1.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Octoberbride03

While momma's away:

the kittens will hide

She is sitting on a neighbor's steps, backside to our house. The perfect opportunity to grab the babies. So I went right up to our porch and looked under to see if they are in reach. NOPE looks like there's a bend in the path under there somewhere. So there's no reaching in and just grabbing the babies. Cause I'd bring em in for the night and over to the vet tomorrow.

Don't know how we're gonna get em out of there.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberbride03 View Post
the kittens will hide

She is sitting on a neighbor's steps, backside to our house. The perfect opportunity to grab the babies. So I went right up to our porch and looked under to see if they are in reach. NOPE looks like there's a bend in the path under there somewhere. So there's no reaching in and just grabbing the babies. Cause I'd bring em in for the night and over to the vet tomorrow.

Don't know how we're gonna get em out of there.

Try some smelly can food - like fish.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Jey12
DIS Veteran

You're vet may have a catch cage you can borrow. If mom is feral it's going to be the safest way to catch her. Once you have mom you can either use food or the mom to get the kittens to come out. Good luck!
Jey12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: