Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #91
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

DCA at Night - World of Color

After finishing up dinner and briefly stopping at the room, I headed downstairs to DCA. Here are some pics that I took while exploring the park at night.

Carthay Circle Theatre (it's such a beautiful icon at all times of day)

Cars Land (the neon lights and glowing rock work create a unique and vibrant atmosphere once the sun goes down)

Radiator Springs Racers looks like it would be so much fun at night.

However, I didn't get in line for RSR because I had other plans for the evening - it was time to see World of Color in person for the first time, and I wanted to be early to maximize my chances of having a great view.

About 40 minutes in advance, I arrived at Paradise Park with the blue FP I'd gotten earlier. After quickly glancing around the blue section, I noticed a clear path straight ahead to a waterfront viewing spot! This was exactly what I wanted, so I headed straight down and took in all of my surroundings.

Mickey's Fun Wheel

Toy Story Midway Mania, California Screamin', and Mickey's Fun Wheel

Eventually, the show began. Because I was so close to the water, I decided to put my camera and phone away so they wouldn't get wet. This is the only picture of the show I managed to take (it's from the introduction).

I really enjoyed World of Color. There are some things I'd change about it, but there were many moments that pleasantly surprised me (such as when The Old Mill appeared and ushered in the darker part of the show). The music during this segment is particularly cool - it's a haunting instrumental version of "Little April Showers" from Bambi.

After World of Color ends, the fountains perform a few more tricks during a brief post-show. If you stay to the end and look carefully, you'll see a single orange fountain take a bow and fade away. Many people think this fountain represents Little Squirt, a character (representing Walt Disney's spirit) that was cut from the show. I wish I had a picture of Little Squirt to show you, but hopefully these other post-show pics will do.

DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #92
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

What a great part II of your Napa Rose dinner review. I'm not even a big fish fan but your mom's halibut looked great! I just love the look of the blood orange sauce!! As much as your dessert looks awesome, especially that clever presentation of the coconut sorbet, I spied on the dessert menu a warm pineapple turnover - that sounds good too. Just glad you didn't try that "goaty" cheesecake!

All of your photos that night are fabulous! Great job capturing all the beautiful sights. I'm curious what you would change for the WoC show?? I love the UP part with the balloons. But my favorite is the Pirates of the Caribbean with all the lasers and pyrotechnics! I didn't know about Little Squirt. It made me go back and review my video of WoC but my camera lens was too wet at that point to see anything clearly. Again, great trivia!

I have the feeling I'm going to learn a whole lot more about these parks before you are done with your reviews!
emmysmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #93
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
What a great part II of your Napa Rose dinner review. I'm not even a big fish fan but your mom's halibut looked great! I just love the look of the blood orange sauce!! As much as your dessert looks awesome, especially that clever presentation of the coconut sorbet, I spied on the dessert menu a warm pineapple turnover - that sounds good too. Just glad you didn't try that "goaty" cheesecake!

The halibut was very good! And since it tends to be a milder fish, you might have liked it because of the sides and blood orange sauce alone. Dessert was a tough choice - those pineapple turnovers probably would've been my second choice. No 'goaty' desserts for me right now

All of your photos that night are fabulous! Great job capturing all the beautiful sights. I'm curious what you would change for the WoC show?? I love the UP part with the balloons. But my favorite is the Pirates of the Caribbean with all the lasers and pyrotechnics! I didn't know about Little Squirt. It made me go back and review my video of WoC but my camera lens was too wet at that point to see anything clearly. Again, great trivia!

(I left this critique out of my main post so I don't 'spoil' too many details.) Personally, I think World of Color has a bit too much Pixar in it. Nemo, Wall-E, Toy Story 1 & 2, Up, Brave, and A Bug's Life - that's more than half of the Pixar library. Some of those scenes are great - I love the Wall-E segment, and the Up moment is short but sweet. Nemo, however, goes on a bit too long for me (I'd rather have another musical segment than Dory/Marlin bantering). Also, I think it's time for Brave to go. The segment itself is fun, but it doesn't have any creative transitions preceding or following it (like the clouds connecting Wall-E to Toy Story, the concept of flight connecting Up to Aladdin, or the storm connecting A Bug's Life to The Old Mill). As such, Brave feels disconnected from the rest of the show (which is accurate, since it was basically added to promote the movie). I'd love to see more Walt-era clips, since right now the only ones are The Old Mill (a cool but short scene) and then some very brief glimpses in the finale. Agreed on the Pirates segment, though - it's a clear crowd pleaser, and some of Captain Jack's lines help ease the tension as the show (literally) heats up.

Also, here's a YouTube video that shows the World of Color post-show. If you skip ahead to 2:29, you'll see Little Squirt take his bow.

I have the feeling I'm going to learn a whole lot more about these parks before you are done with your reviews!
I'm so happy to hear that you're actually learning little things from my report! I was honestly worried that it would be boring for you and everyone with more DLR experience.

Last edited by DonaldDoleWhip; 06-08-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #94
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Now that you mention the absence of more of the Disney classics, that makes perfect sense... do they include Bambi and the rain drops scene or is that Fantasmic??

Thanks for sharing the YT clip... now I see. I like that.

Seriously, you know so much trivia and detail behind the Disney magic of all the parks. I just know if they shut down an attraction or something hard not to miss! I'm going to stay tuned to learn more.
emmysmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #95
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Now that you mention the absence of more of the Disney classics, that makes perfect sense... do they include Bambi and the rain drops scene or is that Fantasmic??

Thanks for sharing the YT clip... now I see. I like that.

Seriously, you know so much trivia and detail behind the Disney magic of all the parks. I just know if they shut down an attraction or something hard not to miss! I'm going to stay tuned to learn more.
Bambi did appear in the "So Close" montage after Lion King (along with Dumbo and Lady and the Tramp), and to be fair, there are so many things I loved about the show that I didn't discuss in my first post. The intro is great, and the last few minutes of WOC are perfect, IMO. The Old Mill transitions seamlessly into the chaos of Pirates and Lion King, then comes the poignant "So Close" scene. The princess montage returns the mood to a positive one (and it also includes all three Walt-era princesses), and finally Tinker Bell appears to fill the entire lagoon with color - amazing. I wouldn't change the ending at all. There were also lots of scenes in the middle that I loved (especially Wall-E, Up, and Aladdin).

Agreed on the fountain - it's such a nice tribute, yet it's very easy to spot if you know what to look for.

I'm glad you're enjoying all the trivia! It'll never be useful anywhere else, so I might as well share it here.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #96
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Adventureland - Bengal Barbecue

After leaving DCA, I walked over to the Disneyland Hotel to explore it for the first time. There doesn't seem to be much interest in the non-food updates, so I'll (try to) cut down on unrelated pics.

But let me just say this: the pool area here looks awesome.

Yep, the slides are monorail-themed!

The next day, we both headed to Disneyland. The park hasn't changed much since our last trip 5 years ago - it's still the same happy place I remembered.

We basically toured the park clockwise, so the first land we checked out was Adventureland.

DL's Adventureland land has a slightly different vibe than Magic Kingdom's Adventureland. MK's is a mixture of locales and architectural styles, including prominent sections based on the Middle East and the Spanish Caribbean. Disneyland's feels more cohesive to me, with a consistent jungle setting and a more defined time frame (the 1930's, according to several websites I've read).

There are some attractions that can be experienced in both versions of Adventureland, such as Jungle Cruise and the Enchanted Tiki Room.

The Disneyland version of Enchanted Tiki Room turns 50 on June 23rd!

Another thing - the snack stand selling Dole Whips and Dole Whip Floats is adjacent to the Enchanted Tiki Room, and you can bring your Dole Whips into the show!

I'll discuss Adventureland's headliner attraction soon. But first, it's time to take a look at Adventureland's most satisfying quick service location (on either coast).

No, not the fruit stand. It's a location that MK doesn't (but should) have: Bengal Barbecue.

If you're craving something savory and portable, look no further. This place has everything - tiger tails, veggies wrapped in bacon, wild animal heads...

...and the list doesn't end there (this place even has the popular jalapeņo cheese-stuffed pretzel). It's a haven for savory snacks! For us, though, the jungle skewers are the clear stars here. Chicken, beef, and veggies are grilled and coated with flavorful sauces - the menu reminds me of 'Ohana, except the skewers here are ā la carte and the quality is more consistent.

I actually didn't get anything here - this was a stop for my mom (since I had something else in mind for my lunch). Her first choice was the Chieftain Chicken Skewer in a Polynesian Sauce. She really enjoyed it, and I happily munched on the raw scallion garnish.

She also ordered the Safari Skewer, which is asparagus wrapped in bacon. That's right - bacon. wrapped. asparagus. I enjoyed this so much on my first DL trip - the wood-grilled flavor of the asparagus is perfect with the charred, meaty bacon. But since I stopped eating red meat and pork in January, that meant no safari skewer for me.

If you're interested, here's the AllEars menu for Bengal Barbecue.

Now that we've had something to eat, let's get back to Adventureland's headliner attraction. It's not Pirates here (but don't fret - Pirates is nearby in another great land ). Instead, the headliner attraction is Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye. Soon after entering the queue, you'll see a mysterious temple, surrounded by dense foliage.

A closer look at the Temple:

Soon enough, you're inside and walking down an impeccably designed (but long) queue. Here's the only picture I took while waiting inside. Between the South Asian setting and Indy theme, I think this attraction could fit nicely in either AK or Hollywood Studios!

As for the ride itself, it's awesome - one of my favorites in Disneyland Resort. Interestingly enough, the track layout is exactly the same as Dinosaur's layout in AK. However, I think Indy is a far better experience, from the queue to the details and storyline throughout.

Overall, DL's Adventureland feels small (like most of the park), but it's full of impressive content. I actually prefer it over MK's Adventureland (largely because of the cohesive theme, satisfying snack options, and amazing headliner attraction).

Last edited by DonaldDoleWhip; 06-09-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #97
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

I loved the bacon wrapped asparagus at Bengal BBQ. I had three of them on our DLR trip and probably would have had more if the line wasn't always so darn long!

I definitely enjoy the non-food updates! Your pictures and insights are terrific!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #98
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
I loved the bacon wrapped asparagus at Bengal BBQ. I had three of them on our DLR trip and probably would have had more if the line wasn't always so darn long!

I definitely enjoy the non-food updates! Your pictures and insights are terrific!
Thanks for that - it makes me happy to hear you enjoy the non-food tangents. This is definitely my least food-centric report yet, but I don't want the food to get completely overshadowed (since most of it was great!). The next update is from another land in DL, and there will be some bonus pics included.

As for Bengal Barbecue, I'm honestly regretting the fact that I didn't get anything there. It's such a great place for a snack, or even a meal (if you buy enough skewers at once!).
Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #99
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

I love the non food pics! It is nice hearing Disneyland explained because I know nothing about it.

As for this bengal BBQ place, WOW! It looks sooo good! Bacon wrapped asparagus?? In a disney park!? Crazy! That looks so good.

Looks like I need to skip Disney World next year and go to Disneyland!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #100
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
I love the non food pics! It is nice hearing Disneyland explained because I know nothing about it.

As for this bengal BBQ place, WOW! It looks sooo good! Bacon wrapped asparagus?? In a disney park!? Crazy! That looks so good.

Looks like I need to skip Disney World next year and go to Disneyland!
I'm really glad that you enjoy the non-food pics too. I've been worried that the extra info is either boring (to people who know DL already) or unnecessary (to people solely interested in the food), so it makes a difference hearing that you do like the bonus content.

As for Bengal Barbecue, agreed. I'm kind of surprised that they haven't replicated those skewers anywhere in WDW yet. At least for now, Bengal Barbecue is yet another reason to take the trip to DL (along with Indy, and that's just looking at Adventureland!).
Old 06-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #101
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer

As someone who hasn't happened upon your posts until this one, I'm enjoying the mix of food and non-food. I'm a DL regular and novice WDW visitor and enjoying your take on DL. Keep it coming :-)
BlazerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #102
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
There doesn't seem to be much interest in the non-food updates, so I'll (try to) cut down on unrelated pics.
NOOOOOOOOOO! I love ALL your pics, food and non food! I am really enjoying your report so much! Before this, I was indifferent about going to DL the next time I go to LA to visit my sister. Now I find myself jotting down notes for when I start planning the trip!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #103
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Looks fantastic! Count me into the group that wants both kinds of pictures! I'm really leaning towards DL next spring and this is a fantastic report to help me plan.

Jill in CO
Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #104
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerFan View Post
As someone who hasn't happened upon your posts until this one, I'm enjoying the mix of food and non-food. I'm a DL regular and novice WDW visitor and enjoying your take on DL. Keep it coming :-)
Thanks so much for joining in! I'm sure a lot of this info isn't new to you, so it makes me really happy that you're still enjoying the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullybigadventure View Post
NOOOOOOOOOO! I love ALL your pics, food and non food! I am really enjoying your report so much! Before this, I was indifferent about going to DL the next time I go to LA to visit my sister. Now I find myself jotting down notes for when I start planning the trip!
I'm so glad to hear you're feeling more enthusiastic about DL! DLR may be small, but it more than compensates in other ways. Hopefully you'll get to see that for yourself. And I'll be sure to include some bonus pics as the Disneyland Park updates continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Looks fantastic! Count me into the group that wants both kinds of pictures! I'm really leaning towards DL next spring and this is a fantastic report to help me plan.

Jill in CO
I hope you can make it out to DL! With DCA being better than ever (and DL remaining awesome), there's never been a better time to head out to DLR. And I'm glad that this report is helping you plan for that potential trip.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #105
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer

So we all want to know what you wanted for lunch instead of Bengal Barbeque!
BlazerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: