Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #211
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

I'm sad the review is almost over too, but 4th of July trip is around the corner. Will we get another dining report? I hope so! The sorbets look great, especially your kiwi yuzu one. Great photos, as always.

I have never eaten at Flo's either. I have had it on the to-do list because I finally reached saturation point with the Storyteller's Cafe last trip. Prior to that, I always ate there on a DCA day. Nothing will ever replace my Mickey House pancakes at the River Belle Terrace on a DL day though. Too much history.

Chiming in on how close thing are at DLR, my husband and I were beyond shocked our first trip to WDW at how far apart everything is. Even having read about the shuttle buses, we expected things to be closer and more walkable so we way overplanned. I'm sure that's common with people whose home park is DLR.

If I don't post before then, have a great time at WDW over the 4th!
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 19/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing 12. Secrets of the Tudor Court 13. Al Capp 14. The Witch Doctor's Wife 15. The Headhunter's Daughter 16. The Yard 17. The Dinner 18. The Magicians 19. The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion 20. The Golem and the Jinni

Currently reading: The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #212
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBear View Post
I'm sad the review is almost over too, but 4th of July trip is around the corner. Will we get another dining report? I hope so! The sorbets look great, especially your kiwi yuzu one. Great photos, as always.

Nope, no more full dining reports. Among other reasons, the time commitment is just too large - but I will be contributing to the Live Update thread in July.

I have never eaten at Flo's either. I have had it on the to-do list because I finally reached saturation point with the Storyteller's Cafe last trip. Prior to that, I always ate there on a DCA day. Nothing will ever replace my Mickey House pancakes at the River Belle Terrace on a DL day though. Too much history.

I think Flo's would definitely be worth a try! Still haven't tried Storytellers Cafe, but I had breakfast at River Belle Terrace on my first trip! It's definitely a DL classic.

Chiming in on how close thing are at DLR, my husband and I were beyond shocked our first trip to WDW at how far apart everything is. Even having read about the shuttle buses, we expected things to be closer and more walkable so we way overplanned. I'm sure that's common with people whose home park is DLR.

You're so right about the size - it takes some getting used to! Perhaps because it's my home resort, I've always loved the scale of WDW. Whichever way you look, you're surrounded by Disney's forests, lakes, beaches, hotels, and park icons in the distance. Still, DL's intimacy and convenience is a huge plus in its own right, and it's great that you can take a break in the middle of the day without losing too much park time.

If I don't post before then, have a great time at WDW over the 4th!
Thanks so much! I hope you also enjoy your Fourth of July weekend.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #213
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Paradise Garden Grill

After breakfast, I returned to the room so we could pack and check out. Once we had left our bags at bell services, we headed back into DCA and continued touring the park.

Since she hadn't eaten breakfast, it didn't take long before my mom wanted something to eat. I knew there was a quick service location with a menu that we'd both like, so we headed over to Paradise Garden Grill. This relatively new location offers grilled skewers with a Mediterranean twist. Here's the AllEars menu.

My mom chose the Lemon-Oregano Chicken with Tandoori-Spiced Yogurt Sauce. It's also served with Rice Pilaf, Cucumber Salad and Pita Bread. She enjoyed it very much.

She also had some Baklava for dessert. I tried some and liked it as well - it wasn't overly dry or sweet, and it came with plenty of pistachio pieces.

I wasn't hungry for a full meal yet, so we continued exploring the park (and rode the Little Mermaid attraction again).

Here's a queue detail on the ground - it looks like Sebastian!

Pretty soon, we headed back to Paradise Garden Grill so I could get my lunch. I chose the Lemon-Oregano Chicken with Moroccan Chili Sauce. While the chicken and pita bread were a bit too charred for my liking, I still enjoyed this dish (primarily because of the Moroccan sauce - it's been too long since I last had Moroccan food!).

We also split a Greek salad this time, so we could get some greens into our system. Against my usual instincts, I don't have a full picture of it.

Overall, we really enjoyed Paradise Garden Grill, and I love all the enhancements that Paradise Pier received. The area isn't perfect yet, but it's a significant improvement over what I experienced in early 2008.

To wrap up my Disneyland reviews, here's the plaque commemorating Disney California Adventure's rededication.

That's it! I really hope you've enjoyed all the updates and reviews. A highlights post will be coming soon.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #214
jeaneg
Mouseketeer

I've really enjoyed your report. Thanks for all the wonderful pictures and details!
jeaneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #215
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaneg View Post
I've really enjoyed your report. Thanks for all the wonderful pictures and details!
Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the report - this one has been especially fun to write.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #216
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this DR since it is filled with some of my favorites and a few that I have never tried and it is so close to home! So sad this has come to an end but I do look forward to your live contributions.

I've only eaten at Paradise Garden Grill once and it was ok... nothing remarkable but I did like the steak with the chimichurri. But the baklava looks amazing!! Yum!

Your photo of the boardwalk area and the Mickey wheel is awesome! Glad to see you ending your trip with an attraction featuring your favorite princess!

9 more days!!!!! (Or is it 8?)
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #217
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this DR since it is filled with some of my favorites and a few that I have never tried and it is so close to home! So sad this has come to an end but I do look forward to your live contributions.

I'm so happy that you enjoyed this report! One thing I was worried about was that this report would be boring to all DL locals - thank goodness that wasn't the case.

I've only eaten at Paradise Garden Grill once and it was ok... nothing remarkable but I did like the steak with the chimichurri. But the baklava looks amazing!! Yum!

The reviews I've read of Paradise Garden Grill are mixed, but I'm sorry that your experience wasn't great. The baklava is definitely worth a try! It's not a must-do for me, but it's nice to have something relatively healthy that isn't just another salad.

Your photo of the boardwalk area and the Mickey wheel is awesome! Glad to see you ending your trip with an attraction featuring your favorite princess!

Thanks! And yep, Ariel is still my favorite. I probably mentioned this before, but last year a bunch of college friends and I had a debate over whether Ariel or Belle was the better Disney princess.

9 more days!!!!! (Or is it 8?)
9 more days at this point - I'm so excited to check into CR soon!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #218
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Dining Highlights

Just like in my last report, I wanted to include a highlights post. These pictures are my favorite dining-related photos of the trip.

Bayside Fish Tacos (Cove Bar)

The view from my table:

Bread Basket (Napa Rose)

Passion Fruit and Tahitian Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée, with Marinated Mango accented with Lime and Coconut Sorbet (Napa Rose)

One more Napa Rose shot:

Matterhorn Macaroon (Jolly Holiday Bakery)

A beautiful window inside the bakery:

Duck Confit Sliders with Apricot Conserve, Watercress, Crisp Onions, and Taleggio Cheese (Carthay Circle Lounge)

The upstairs ceiling mural:

The Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum - Reserve Rum, Cream of Coconut, and Pineapple and Orange Juices dusted with Cinnamon and Nutmeg (Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar)

Craft Raised Salmon Trio (Napa Rose)

Kiwi Yuzu Sorbet and Creamy California Strawberry Ice Cream (Napa Rose)

Finally, the view of Cars Land from Flo's V8 Café:

Coming up - final thoughts.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #219
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Final Thoughts ("Prawn Heads" Reprise)

Well, that's it for this report. I've really enjoyed sharing my perspective on Disneyland and my photos with all of you. As you can imagine, writing a report like this is extremely time consuming, which is one of the reasons why I'm not going to continue with these full-length reports anymore. It's been fun, though (and you might occasionally see a standalone update)!

There's one more thing I wanted to say, and it doesn't apply to most of you. I've tried my hardest to include decent photos in all of my updates. Since I don't have a DSLR, I do what I can with my point-and-shoot and (occasionally) my iPhone 4S. Whether the photos are good or underwhelming, I take a lot of pride in the fact that they're my photos. That's part of the fun of writing these reports, and many of you can understand this sentiment.

That's why I have to make a request - if you enjoy any of these photos enough to use them somewhere else on the internet, please give credit. Or, at the very least, don't take credit.

Why am I asking this? It has something to do with my August 2012 report. One of our best meals on that trip was at Jiko, where I absolutely loved my dish. The review can speak for itself:

Quote:
And my entree? Well, it's finally time for you to meet the chermoula-roasted head on Nigerian prawns with english pea nage, saffron rice, and orange and olive salad.

Look at all the beautiful olives scattered across the plate.

Prawn heads!

Wow. Wow. Wow! This is one of the best dishes I've had at WDW. Everything about it was delicious. The prawns were rubbed with plenty of spice and were large and succulent. The rice wasn't overpowered by the saffron (which can be a problem in saffron-based rice dishes, such as paella), and there were sweet golden raisins scattered throughout the rice. Combining all of the components in one bite (the prawns, rice, creamy and buttery pea nage, zesty citrus, briny olive, and sweet fennel) was sheer food bliss.

Omar told us that the prawns are flown in from the coast of Nigeria. Somehow, this sparked an interesting discussion between my mom and I - we began wondering what the prawn heads might tell me if they could talk.

I hypothesized that they were probably singing "Under the Sea" just before being caught off the coast. I mean, we all know those lyrics were written by a singing crustacean (who was in a much happier place in his life).

We what the land folks loves to cook
Under the sea we off the hook
We got no troubles
Life is the bubbles
Under the sea!
This review is one of my favorites that I've ever written, and my entire August '12 report is named in honor of the prawn dish. That's why I was somewhat irritated when I saw one of these prawn pictures appear in another Jiko review. Not only did this Diser use my picture without asking, but she claimed that her phone camera took the picture.

I understand 'borrowing' pictures for a report. Sometimes, you don't have a picture of what you want to show, or you simply don't like the picture you have. Whenever this applies to me, I try to provide links to an alternate site (such as Disney Food Blog) instead of including their photos next to my own. However, this person claimed that the photo was hers. That's not cool.

Sorry to end the report on a low note. I still want to thank everyone who's been following along and participating. These reports wouldn't have been nearly as much fun to write without hearing your thoughts along the way - thanks for everything!

Last edited by DonaldDoleWhip; 06-25-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #220
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

I see some reviewers add their name to the photo's before posting. You have some wonderful photo's so maybe it is time to do that with your prints. But at the end of the day who ever took credit for a photo you took needs to have a rasssssie.

Love your reviews
Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #221
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy 2 B Me View Post
I see some reviewers add their name to the photo's before posting. You have some wonderful photo's so maybe it is time to do that with your prints. But at the end of the day who ever took credit for a photo you took needs to have a rasssssie.

Love your reviews
Thanks so much for your kind words, and that's a great suggestion. Maybe in the future I'll start adding a watermark for photos that I really want to 'protect'.

And I'm so happy you've enjoyed the reviews. They've been fun to write, but reading everyone's comments might be the best part.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #222
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your wrap up and favorites. It makes me hungry all over again! Fabulous TR/DR!!

Just for the record, I'm innocent of the photo stealing caper!! Seriously though, that would completely annoy me and it is so unnecessary to take credit for someone else's photos. I would say it is a great compliment since you have awesome photos but seriously, that's crazy.
Edited to add: And those are my beef bobotie photos!!!! (not really but they are not from an iphone!)

Like I said before, I do look forward to your live reviews.

8 days from now!! Or rather 7 days since you are 3 hrs. ahead of me!

Last edited by emmysmommy; 06-26-2013 at 01:07 AM.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #223
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

Loved your review Mr. DDW! I really enjoy reading your posts. I do love your pictures too. Looks like things are going to pop right out at me in some of them. The sorbet picture really had me wanting to grab a spoon! It is too bad someone tried to take credit for your photos.

Have a fun 4th of July trip! Can't wait to see your live updates over on Barb's thread.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #224
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Another fantastic report. Sad to know this is the last full report but totally understand the reasons. I just can't commit to them anymore either and mine are nowhere near your level.

I hate picture stealers...especially the brazen ones that lie about taking them.

Jill in CO
Old 06-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #225
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

I need to take a minute to express my disappointment in knowing you are not going to be doing your "normal" food reviews. You have entertained me with not only photo's of your food reviews but also of the décor and surroundings of each restaurant.

Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: