Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #181
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak616 View Post
Yes! I hope there are some awesome sunsets when I'm there!
I hope so too! Since you'll be there for a few nights, there's definitely some hope (and who knows what you'll see in Vegas and DC!).
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #182
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Announcement

Hey everyone - before posting the next update, I just wanted to share that we recently confirmed our flights and accommodations for our next Disney trip. We'll be heading down to WDW again during...

Fourth of July Weekend!

We're so excited to be returning, especially during such an exciting week. Even though it's a short trip, we decided to do a split stay, with our first night (the 4th) being at...

Contemporary!

To make things even better, we'll be spending the night in a Club Level, Magic Kingdom view room! We can't wait to enjoy some bites in the lounge and take in this view from our balcony.

The next two nights will probably be spent at...

Yacht Club!

We booked a garden view, which is what we booked on our last trip here. I think we lucked out with this view:

Plus, I just love the nautical motif in the YC rooms.

And overall, being in the Epcot Resort Area is completely magical.

Regarding dining reviews, I don't plan on writing any more full reports after this one. However, if we encounter anything noteworthy on our trip, I'll probably send pics to the Live Update Thread, so be on the lookout there!

That's all I've got - now it's time to get started on the next Disneyland update.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #183
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

rachel & her boyfriend + me & emme will also be there during that weekend.

maybe we could all meet up for a cocktail someplace?? we could re-enact our monorail pub crawl with you.
emmebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #184
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmebear View Post
rachel & her boyfriend + me & emme will also be there during that weekend.

maybe we could all meet up for a cocktail someplace?? we could re-enact our monorail pub crawl with you.
That would be a lot of fun! Let's definitely see if we can work something out.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #185
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar

From DCA, we continued our bar/lounge 'crawl' (it was really more of a food crawl ) by heading over to the Disneyland Hotel.

For a hotel consisting of three generic high rises that were constructed in the 60's and 70's, this place is unexpectedly magical. That's largely thanks to a resort-wide renovation that took place from 2009 to 2012.

Interesting fact - you used to be able to take the monorail from Disneyland straight to the Disneyland Hotel. However, the monorail station hasn't moved. Instead, the hotel has moved! The hotel was originally located closer to DL, but with the construction of the newer towers and amenities (and with the demolition of older buildings to make way for Downtown Disney), the hotel effectively migrated west to its current location.

History lesson over - here's another photo!

We were on a mission: to dine at a very special and magical place.

There it is! The one, the only, Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar! (At least until Trader Sam's opens in Disney Springs, which seems to be a legitimate rumor. )

Although if Trader Sam's appeared in WDW, I can think of a better fit for it than Disney Springs. Case in point - these doors look like they were plucked straight from the Polynesian!

Same doors with flash:

When we arrived, we were greeted with an extremely warm "Aloha!" There weren't many people here (a few were at the counter), which meant it was a great time for pictures!

SO MANY DETAILS

This 'window' interacted with various drink orders. Sometimes the volcano erupted. Other times, it was stormy and lightning struck. Such a cool feature!

Also, the bartenders were super entertaining - every time someone ordered a Shipwreck, instant hilarity ensued!

So what's on the menu here?

An introduction, of course. A place with such amazing theming needs to set the stage correctly!

There's also a selection of eats here.

As for the drink menu, I didn't get a picture of the whole thing (it's so long and entertaining!). But AllEars seems to have an accurate menu.

Unfortunately, nobody ordered the "Uh Oa!" while we were there (I would've loved to see if it triggered any effects!). Instead, my choice was the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum (Reserve Rum, Cream of Coconut, and Pineapple and Orange Juices dusted with Cinnamon and Nutmeg).

Welcome to our tropical hideaway, you lucky people you!
If you have one of these starting right away you may be ordering two!

And if the song is now stuck in your head, here's a link to it on YouTube.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. My older sister was a huge fan of Hilary Duff, which meant I heard this version of the song a lot when I was younger. It's actually pretty catchy!

As for the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum, it was delicious! The coconut and nutmeg paired so well together. I should have ordered two, but we both were fine with one drink each.

My mom chose the Ka-Blue-Ie! (Light Rum, Cream of Coconut, Pinapple Juice, and a splash of Blue Curacao.)

Gorillas, rifles, dynamite, and river water don't mix...or do they? (Always makes a splash!)

It was also delicious, and she let me have the pineapple wedge!

We also split two dishes while we were there. The Chicken Lettuce Wraps were satisfying, and I kept picking at the crispy rice noodles on the side.

The Ahi Poke was a bit fishy (as far as tuna goes), but it was still enjoyable paired with the creamy avocado, sriracha aioli, and crispy wonton chips.

Overall, we loved this place. The food doesn't make it a must-do, but the incredible theming, endless details on the walls, and entertainment factor (from the drink menu itself to the bartenders) make this place a winner! It might end up coming to WDW eventually, but for now, you'll have to head to Disneyland if you want to check out this amazingly enchanted tiki bar!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #186
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Great updates again! I remember when the monorail went straight to the hotel. I didn't realize the hotel moved. Do they still have all the Disneyana behind glass by the convention area? That's one of my favorite things to go look at in the area.

I've never been to Trader Sam's, but it looks like fun!
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #187
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBear View Post
Great updates again! I remember when the monorail went straight to the hotel. I didn't realize the hotel moved. Do they still have all the Disneyana behind glass by the convention area? That's one of my favorite things to go look at in the area.

I've never been to Trader Sam's, but it looks like fun!
I actually don't know about the Disneyana in the convention area, but there are plenty of cool things to see inside each of the towers. For example, Frontier Tower contains a model of DL's Big Thunder Mountain.

And Trader Sam's is great! It's such a nice place to soak in the atmosphere, and if the inside is too cramped, there's plenty of outdoor seating.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #188
julie4423
Mouseketeer

Love this whole thread! I have to be honest and say that DL has never really been on the vacation radar for me. Well it is now! I don't think DL will ever match my absolute love for WDW, but now I feel like I must go at some point. Thanks for such a detailed tour.
julie4423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #189
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Wow that sky behind Carthay is amazing!!! One of the most beautiful pics I have ever seen!

I really hope Trader Sam's opens at DTD (or disney springs). It looks awesome! That list of potential vendors for disney springs looks great!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #190
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

First, how AWESOME that you have a trip just around the bend here. Your choice of split stays mirrors our choices with MK area (TPV of course!) and Epcot resorts. Enjoy your cocktails and appetizers with your TPV club level room.

I'm so glad that you wandered upstairs at Carthay Circle. I didn't even think to go upstairs since we were having cocktails downstairs when I went for the first time last month. It is so beautifully elegant! I'm not a fan of their menu but your duck sliders on the pretzel bread sound delicious. I'll have to keep those in mind to try soon.

I think of Linda67 when I read about Trader Sam's but now I'm associating you with this place since now you have weighed in and shared your experience!!! The bar antics sound like a lot of fun. What do you have to order for the volcano to erupt? Your chicken lettuce wraps look good. (Was it spicy?)

Loved your pink sky DCA photo!! Lovely! (Oh and glad your mom was able to enjoy DCA for the first time. It has some wonderfully nostalgic touches.)
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #191
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie4423 View Post
Love this whole thread! I have to be honest and say that DL has never really been on the vacation radar for me. Well it is now! I don't think DL will ever match my absolute love for WDW, but now I feel like I must go at some point. Thanks for such a detailed tour.
Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm so glad to hear that this report has helped put DL onto your vacation radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Wow that sky behind Carthay is amazing!!! One of the most beautiful pics I have ever seen!

I really hope Trader Sam's opens at DTD (or disney springs). It looks awesome! That list of potential vendors for disney springs looks great!
Thanks so much! I loved that sunset, which is why I had to include some of those photos.

And agreed on Disney Springs - if even half of the rumored vendors materialize (along with the placemaking changes), I could see myself spending a lot more time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
First, how AWESOME that you have a trip just around the bend here. Your choice of split stays mirrors our choices with MK area (TPV of course!) and Epcot resorts. Enjoy your cocktails and appetizers with your TPV club level room.

Thanks so much! Not only are we mirroring your choices for this trip (CR and YC), but also our following trip will include a few nights at AKL.

I'm so glad that you wandered upstairs at Carthay Circle. I didn't even think to go upstairs since we were having cocktails downstairs when I went for the first time last month. It is so beautifully elegant! I'm not a fan of their menu but your duck sliders on the pretzel bread sound delicious. I'll have to keep those in mind to try soon.

Carthay is gorgeous - I highly recommend checking it out if you get the chance soon!

I think of Linda67 when I read about Trader Sam's but now I'm associating you with this place since now you have weighed in and shared your experience!!! The bar antics sound like a lot of fun. What do you have to order for the volcano to erupt? Your chicken lettuce wraps look good. (Was it spicy?)

Based on the name and description, I believe it's the Krakatoa Punch ("There's no escaping falling in lava with this exotic eruption of flavor!"). And the chicken wraps weren't spicy (which was fine for us, since my mom has a harder time handling spiciness now).

Loved your pink sky DCA photo!! Lovely! (Oh and glad your mom was able to enjoy DCA for the first time. It has some wonderfully nostalgic touches.)
Agreed on DCA - I loved seeing her reaction to everything new. She actually liked it more than Disneyland Park! (Although the crowds at DL might have contributed to that.)
Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #192
bleeps
DIS Veteran

Hope you love YC as much as we do! Meanwhile, we went to DL/DCA last year and hit some of the same places (Napa Rose rules!) and also loved the Grand Californian. Can't beat those tiny distances between things out there!

WDW once a year since 2003!
bleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #193
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeps View Post
Hope you love YC as much as we do! Meanwhile, we went to DL/DCA last year and hit some of the same places (Napa Rose rules!) and also loved the Grand Californian. Can't beat those tiny distances between things out there!
Thanks so much! I'm sure we're going to have a great time at YC - it's such a relaxing place to stay, and it's so convenient to 2 parks. As for DL/DCA, I'm missing it already. You're completely right about the distances - at WDW, walking is nice whenever it's an option (such as from the Epcot resorts to DHS), but at DLR, it's always an option! (I guess it's the only option, unless you feel like taking the monorail between Tomorrowland and DTD.)
Old 06-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #194
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Napa Rose

It's gotten kind of quiet here over the past few days. I know my reviews have been really wordy, so I'll keep things simple for this update. Our last food stop of the evening was Napa Rose, but this time we sat in the lounge area.

We both started with the same cocktail, the Napa Passion (X Fusion, Parrot Bay Rum, Pineapple Juice, and Strawberry). It was delicious!

Since I loved it so much, I had to get the Craft Raised Salmon Trio again. Once again, it was a standout for me.

My mom felt like plain pizza, so our server suggested a basic margherita pizzetta. It was very good, although I would've been interesting in trying something more exciting (apparently the current seasonal pizzetta has pheasant sausage, corn, spinach, and portobello mushrooms - wow!).

The other appetizer we had was the Beet Salad with Cara Cara Oranges, Endive, Mizuna, Honey Goat Cheese, and Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette. It was also very good, with an interesting mix of flavors beyond the standard beet and goat cheese.

Finally, we each felt like dessert, so we ordered our own pairing of ice creams/sorbets. I chose Kiwi Yuzu Sorbet and Creamy California Strawberry Ice Cream.

Both were fantastic, with the kiwi yuzu being especially refreshing.

Each plate also included some mixed berries, which was a nice touch.

My mom really enjoyed the Orange Tangerine Sorbet and Scharffen Berger Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream.

Once again, we had a great experience at Napa Rose, from the food to the cocktails to the service. Then it was time to head back to DCA, where we saw World of Color. We were further back than my previous spot, but it was still enjoyable having a more panoramic view of the entire show.

Finally, here's a picture of our room view at night. It was amazing - our "pool view" was so much more than we were expecting.

This report's almost over, and I hope you're enjoying it (if my previous updates haven't scared you away!).
Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #195
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

That beet salad looks really good. Beets are another thing I just figured out that I like a few years ago. May have to pick some up at the farmer's market this weekend!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: