Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #166
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I still can't quite get over the differences between the parks. From what I've seen so far, Disneyland seems a much 'prettier' park overall. I love the fact that you can get the monorail from inside the park to DTD - what a great idea

Wish I liked coconut as the Matterhorn Macaroon looked like a tasty treat.
wilma-bride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #167
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

I LOVED Alien Encounter. I was a fearless child.

Also, your pictures are fantastic as always! I'm getting so excited for Disneyland!

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!
DL: 2009: Fairfield Inn Marriot/ 2010: Camelot Inn/ 2013: Carousel Inn

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

"I Don't Wanna Meet Mickey In a Frumpin' Poncho!"
"SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! It Builds Character and Strength!" A July 2011 TR!

Disneyfreak616 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #168
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyBeth29 View Post
What great reviews! I haven't been to DL since 1991, and now I'm ITCHING to get out there! I really appreciate how thorough you are! Your posts made me smile!
I'm so glad you're enjoying the reviews! Some people probably think my posts are a bit too wordy, but what can I say - there's just so much to discuss. I hope you get a chance to head back to DLR and see everything new it has to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrice View Post
Oh my! You have me so excited for my trip in 9 days. I've heard lots of wonderful things about "Walt's Park", but your comparisons and reviews just bring it all home :D I'm sure you have seen this but Jack Spence for allears wrote a great comparison blog of the two parks. http://land.allears.net/blogs/jacksp...ingdom_pa.html

Great link! I do remember reading that in the past, but it's been several years so it was refreshing to see his opinions again. Jack Spence is awesome - he knows about everything related to Disney Parks, from all the resorts to the themed benches! I'd love to see if his opinions have changed since he wrote that blog. The competition might be closer now (with New Fantasyland opening), but I think DL would still come out on top.

There's a whole bakery dedicated to Mary Poppins!! Fabulous, another thing to add to my must do list. However, I think I may cross off Matterhorn. Might be a bit too rough! -Amanda
Definitely check out Jolly Holiday Bakery! And if you're worried about the Matterhorn, I still highly recommend Space Mountain. To me, SM doesn't feel rough at all (some people actually complain that it's not 'thrilling' compared to MK's, and admittedly the drops are smaller), but the theming is top-notch! Your trip is so soon now - have an amazing time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Your mom has great taste!! I tried that Matterhorn macaroon yesterday and it was awesome! I love your photos of the Matterhorn with the mountain climbers. I think during the summer season they are out. As for the ride itself, it is still a bit of a rough ride (I was hoping they would make it smoother with the recent refurb) but it is such a classic and well deserving of such iconic attraction status! For someone with short legs like me, I don't think too much about the leg room issue.

Agreed on all counts - the macaroon was fantastic, and the rock climbers are so cool! As for the Matterhorn, it's clearly a Disneyland icon, and I loved photographing it (even if I won't be hopping in line every trip ). I'm sure lots of people still enjoy it, and it probably won't be going anywhere.

I heard a "rumor" yesterday about some re-theming that may occur for TL... (I'm going to update my TR with our Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour from yesterday.)

Looking forward to more DCA fun!
Very cool - it's so exciting that the Tomorrowland rumors are picking up steam! Based on various sites, it seems like DL's Tomorrowland, DCA's Hollywood Land, and DHS in Florida are the places to watch. Maybe we'll see an announcement or two at the D23 Expo! In the meanwhile, I can't wait to read about your DL tour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I still can't quite get over the differences between the parks. From what I've seen so far, Disneyland seems a much 'prettier' park overall. I love the fact that you can get the monorail from inside the park to DTD - what a great idea

Wish I liked coconut as the Matterhorn Macaroon looked like a tasty treat.
Agreed - it's amazing how different DL and MK actually are, and overall DL strikes me as the prettier park. Of course, MK has parts that might surpass DL in beauty: Cinderella Castle (it's so tall and majestic), New Fantasyland (for the impressive facades, such as Prince Eric's Castle and Be Our Guest), and Tomorrowland (just because it's more cohesive). But if I had to spend a full day in either DL or MK, DL would be the winner. (For the record, WDW has been my home resort since I was 3 years old, so I shouldn't be admitting this! )
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #169
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak616 View Post
I LOVED Alien Encounter. I was a fearless child.

Also, your pictures are fantastic as always! I'm getting so excited for Disneyland!
I'm super impressed with your Alien Encounter-handling skills - you were definitely braver than me (since it took me three years to try it again - I also loved it from then on!). I still think the show could've worked in a Disney park - if not MK, then maybe DHS (and interestingly enough, it was originally planned for Disneyland!). At least we still have memories of it. And I hope you absolutely love Disneyland! I especially can't wait to hear your thoughts on Indy, Space Mountain, Pirates, and (of course) DCA.

One more thing: Happy Birthday, Kristen!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #170
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Yum! The Matterhorn Macaroon looks delicious. I've never met a macaroon I didn't like. I am going to use this whole thread to sway hubby into a Disneyland trip next year. I think all your great pics might finally sway him. Fingers crossed!

Loved your photos of the monorail themed pool at the Disneyland Hotel. That looks incredible!
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #171
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytinkerbell View Post
Yum! The Matterhorn Macaroon looks delicious. I've never met a macaroon I didn't like. I am going to use this whole thread to sway hubby into a Disneyland trip next year. I think all your great pics might finally sway him. Fingers crossed!

Loved your photos of the monorail themed pool at the Disneyland Hotel. That looks incredible!
I really hope you're able to convince him into planning a trip! The macaroon should be justification enough.

And if you think the pool area at DLH looks incredible, you need to see the rooms! We've never stayed there, but check out this page on the official Disneyland site, and look at the first four images. Absolutely incredible - even nicer than the Grand Californian rooms, IMO.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #172
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
I really hope you're able to convince him into planning a trip! The macaroon should be justification enough.

And if you think the pool area at DLH looks incredible, you need to see the rooms! We've never stayed there, but check out this page on the official Disneyland site, and look at the first four images. Absolutely incredible - even nicer than the Grand Californian rooms, IMO.
Food is pretty much the only justification I need for a trip!

Wow those rooms really do look incredible! I stayed at the Paradise Pier hotel when I went to Disneyland back in 2005. It was nice, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the overall theming or the food options. It just didn't leave much of an impression on me, good or bad. Although I must say, we did have an incredible view of the Paradise Pier area. In fairness to the hotel there were 5 of us crammed in a room, so I think that may have contributed to my lack of enthusiasm toward the hotel. I would definitely give either DLH or Grand Californian a try on a future visit.
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #173
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytinkerbell View Post
Food is pretty much the only justification I need for a trip!

Wow those rooms really do look incredible! I stayed at the Paradise Pier hotel when I went to Disneyland back in 2005. It was nice, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the overall theming or the food options. It just didn't leave much of an impression on me, good or bad. Although I must say, we did have an incredible view of the Paradise Pier area. In fairness to the hotel there were 5 of us crammed in a room, so I think that may have contributed to my lack of enthusiasm toward the hotel. I would definitely give either DLH or Grand Californian a try on a future visit.
Interesting to hear about the Paradise Pier Hotel! At least you had the view (which seems to be the best aspect of staying there).

Regarding DLH and Grand Californian, I'm sure you'd be happy at either one. GCH has the best location and feels the most like a themed WDW deluxe resort, but DLH is cheaper, not too far from the parks, and clearly has great rooms and amenities! (Also, DLH is closest to the new Earl of Sandwich. )
Old 06-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #174
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm super impressed with your Alien Encounter-handling skills - you were definitely braver than me (since it took me three years to try it again - I also loved it from then on!). I still think the show could've worked in a Disney park - if not MK, then maybe DHS (and interestingly enough, it was originally planned for Disneyland!). At least we still have memories of it. And I hope you absolutely love Disneyland! I especially can't wait to hear your thoughts on Indy, Space Mountain, Pirates, and (of course) DCA.

One more thing: Happy Birthday, Kristen!!!
Thank you!! Today started off kinda roughly, but things really turned around! I'm having a nice birthday.

I've been to Disneyland twice before and I LOVE Indy. Just not the part with the giant snake... And while Space at MK does hold a special place in my heart (love the Starport sign from the recent refurb, star tunnel, and the one-seat-per-row thing better), Disneyland's Space does better overall for me.

Pirates is 1394883140 bajillion times better at DL...the architecture on the outside, the ride itself...SO. MUCH. BETTER. My brother and I talk about this way more frequently than we probably should. Again, I still love MK's Pirates though.

NEW DCA HOWEVER...it's all so exciting. Cars is one of my favorite Pixar movies (and the sequel) and I would rate them numerically with my other favorite Pixar films but I have no idea how to because I love most of them a LOL. ANYWAYS...CarsLand is just gonna hit me right where I live. I am so excited about it. And BVS...I have a reservation for Carthay Circle which I am QUITE excited about. Basically the overall emotion regarding that at this point is just EXCITEMENT. Because I LOVED DCA before the rehaul, and now I'm anticipating that it may become my favorite Disney park that I've visited. I hope it lives up to those expectations!

Wow that was a rant and a half.

Whatever I'm excited.

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #175
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you!! Today started off kinda roughly, but things really turned around! I'm having a nice birthday.

I've been to Disneyland twice before and I LOVE Indy. Just not the part with the giant snake... And while Space at MK does hold a special place in my heart (love the Starport sign from the recent refurb, star tunnel, and the one-seat-per-row thing better), Disneyland's Space does better overall for me.

Pirates is 1394883140 bajillion times better at DL...the architecture on the outside, the ride itself...SO. MUCH. BETTER. My brother and I talk about this way more frequently than we probably should. Again, I still love MK's Pirates though.

NEW DCA HOWEVER...it's all so exciting. Cars is one of my favorite Pixar movies (and the sequel) and I would rate them numerically with my other favorite Pixar films but I have no idea how to because I love most of them a LOL. ANYWAYS...CarsLand is just gonna hit me right where I live. I am so excited about it. And BVS...I have a reservation for Carthay Circle which I am QUITE excited about. Basically the overall emotion regarding that at this point is just EXCITEMENT. Because I LOVED DCA before the rehaul, and now I'm anticipating that it may become my favorite Disney park that I've visited. I hope it lives up to those expectations!

Wow that was a rant and a half.

Whatever I'm excited.
First of all, I'm so glad to hear your birthday turned around! Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing until your trip arrives.

I wasn't sure if you had been to DL before, so it's really exciting to hear your take on everything! Completely agreed on Indy, although I think the snake part is kind of funny (due to Indy's line: "Snakes...you guys are on your own" ). I also agree with Space (MK's was the original and it has its own unique quirks, but DL's overall is superior) and Pirates (no competition!). Together, those three are my favorites in the park - they're basically theme park perfection (and it doesn't bother me that SM's dips aren't as thrilling, since California Screamin' is nearby for anyone who wants a wilder experience).

As for DCA, I can't imagine that you'll be disappointed based on everything you wrote. Cars isn't one of my favorite Disney movies, but there's no denying that the land is incredible. You'll feel like you're walking in Radiator Springs, and RSR is one of the best attractions Disney has designed in years (the animatronics are so cool!). Carthay Circle should be an excellent experience (my next review is actually from the Carthay Lounge!), and the rest of BVS has such an amazing atmosphere. I barely spent any time in DCA on our first trip (wasn't a fan at all), and it might be my favorite Disney park right now! (Either DL or DCA.) I truly think you're going to love it.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #176
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Carthay Circle Lounge

From Disneyland, we hopped over to California Adventure and explored the park. My mom hadn't seen it before, so she had a lot to take in! After grabbing World of Color fastpasses (which ended up being for the Yellow Section), we strolled through Hollywood Land and Buena Vista Street. My mom particularly loved the Five & Dive jazz ensemble.

This pic is from Hollywood Land (with Carthay Circle Theatre in the distance on the left):

With all these shots of Carthay, I'm sure you know where this is going.

Carthay Circle Theatre is the centerpiece of Buena Vista Street (and a new icon for the park), so it only seemed right that we stop by and try some food there. However, we didn't have a reservation for the upstairs dining room, and we didn't feel like having a full meal anyway. The downstairs lounge seemed like a great alternative.

But that didn't stop me from asking if I could go upstairs to take pictures. Wow - the upstairs restaurant is gorgeous, full of historical details and radiating an opulent aura reminiscent of Hollywood's Golden Age. Soothing jazz versions of classic Disney songs can be heard in the background - everything blew me away. I didn't explore too much (since people were still enjoying their lunch), but I particularly loved the Snow White ceiling mural in the main dining room.

Disney has heavily publicized that the original Carthay Circle Theatre is where Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs premiered in 1937. This mural is a great nod to that special night. It doesn't include any characters (a great artistic choice, IMO), but the mural perfectly references Snow White through its pastel color scheme and lush forest landscape.

Here's a pic of the menu cover - I forgot to take an inside pic, but the AllEars menu still appears to be accurate.

We decided to split a small plate and a dessert - we were especially excited to try the Duck Confit Sliders with Apricot Conserve, Watercress, Crisp Onions, and Taleggio Cheese.

What the menu forgot to mention is that these beauties are served on pretzel bread - what an awesome surprise!

These things packed a ton of flavor - they might have been the best bites of the entire trip. The duck confit itself was perfectly tender, with the fruity apricot conserve, crispy onions, and melty taleggio adding a bold and interesting contrast of flavors and textures. Splitting these was a bad idea!

For dessert, we went with the Trio of Cake Pops: Double Dark Chocolate Chunk, Pineapple-Macadamia Nut Upside Down Cake, and Raspberry-White Chocolate Cheesecake.

I had the pineapple upside down cake one (in the center) and loved it - it's probably my favorite cake pop I've ever tried, with flavor profiles that were right up my alley. My mom had the double dark chocolate pop (on the left) and also loved it, but since cake pops are such a sugar overdose, she didn't even want to try the last one. The raspberry-white chocolate cheesecake one was also good, with a graham cracker 'crust' on the inside. But it was a bit too sweet for me to finish (partially because the pineapple-macadamia nut upside down cake was still calling my name).

Our experience at Carthay Circle Lounge was phenomenal, and I'd love to try more of their dishes eventually. Plus, the lounge is a great place to relax before heading back into the park. We subsequently checked out Cars Land and listened to the great playlist of oldies at Flo's. Then we explored Paradise Pier and went on the Little Mermaid dark ride (which my mom loved), and we even got on Soarin' (the wait was much shorter than I've ever seen at Epcot). Overall, it was another successful visit to DCA, and soon enough we exited the park and headed to another unique spot on my list.

Last edited by DonaldDoleWhip; 06-16-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #177
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Bonus Pics of Carthay Circle Theatre

Just wanted to add a few more shots of Carthay Circle Theatre. These don't relate to any future updates, so I thought I'd throw them in now.

While exploring DCA later in the evening, we were treated to an incredible pink sky.

Carthay Circle Theatre was absolutely gorgeous with the pink sky behind it.

These are some of my favorite pics from the trip - I hope you like them!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #178
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Those pictures are GORGEOUS. What a beautiful sunset!

WDW Commando #141

Completed Trip Reports:

Old 06-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #179
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Those pictures are GORGEOUS. What a beautiful sunset!
Agreed, the sunset was incredible. I can only imagine what the rest of the park looked like at that moment (Cars Land must've been stunning!).
Old 06-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #180
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Agreed, the sunset was incredible. I can only imagine what the rest of the park looked like at that moment (Cars Land must've been stunning!).
Yes! I hope there are some awesome sunsets when I'm there!

WDW Commando #141

Completed Trip Reports:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: