Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #136
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I want to see ALL the pictures!

Jill in CO
Old 06-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #137
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

DDW, I personally am enjoying this pictorial tour of Disneyland - I vote that we see all the pics you have
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #138
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

I vote Yes too
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #139
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Bring on the bonus pics!

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!
DL: 2009: Fairfield Inn Marriot/ 2010: Camelot Inn/ 2013: Carousel Inn

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

"I Don't Wanna Meet Mickey In a Frumpin' Poncho!"
"SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! It Builds Character and Strength!" A July 2011 TR!

Disneyfreak616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #140
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Another yes vote from me!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #141
SRiley1985
Mouseketeer

I'd love to see bonus pics too!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #142
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

What an awesome report of your trip to DL and DCA! We haven't been to DLR since before the big expansion at DCA. World of Color was a new baby the last time we were there. My biggest regret was not dining at Napa Rose and after reading your review and seeing the pictures, I feel even worse about it.

Please more pictures! Space Mt. Ghost Galaxy could be my all-time favorite Disney ride!

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #143
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer

I would love, love, LOVE to see all the pictures! Pretty please with sugar on top!
awfullybigadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #144
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! I would've definitely understood if you had wanted me to skip the 'extra' lands, but I'll be sure to include them now.

And if you would've preferred skipping straight to the food, don't worry - it shouldn't be too long before the final Disneyland Park update, and the food action will pick up once we leave Disneyland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkerfell View Post
I'm thinking about going to Disneyland next year. I'd love to see the pics!! I love your reviews and pictures!
I'm glad you're enjoying the reviews and pictures! Hopefully this resort is presenting some of the real benefits of a DLR trip (from the unique food options to the incredible history of Disneyland Park to the breathtaking enhancements at DCA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Cheshire Cat View Post
What an awesome report of your trip to DL and DCA! We haven't been to DLR since before the big expansion at DCA. World of Color was a new baby the last time we were there. My biggest regret was not dining at Napa Rose and after reading your review and seeing the pictures, I feel even worse about it.

Please more pictures! Space Mt. Ghost Galaxy could be my all-time favorite Disney ride!
We may have gotten to see the DCA expansion (and eat at Napa Rose), but I would've loved to ride Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy! Space is already one of my favorite DL rides, but the overlay sounds perfect (and spooky enough!) for Halloween.

Clearly, the solution is that we both need to head back to DL. But in the meanwhile, I'm glad you're here and enjoying the updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullybigadventure View Post
I would love, love, LOVE to see all the pictures! Pretty please with sugar on top!
The next update (with the bonus pics) will be up later tonight.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #145
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Fantasyland - MK vs. DL

From the western half of the park, we made our way over to Fantasyland. It's really hard for me to compare the Fantasylands of MK and DL right now. MK's is currently receiving more attention because of New Fantasyland, which almost feels like WDW's answer to Cars Land and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

You probably weren't expecting this (or maybe you were ), but I decided to include some of my favorite pics from my New Fantasyland visit in December.

Prince Eric's Castle basically houses the same Little Mermaid ride you'll find at DCA.

Gaston's Tavern is where you can find Red's Apple Freeze from Cars Land (LeFou's Brew), cinnamon rolls from Main Street Bakery, and roasted pork shanks.

Be Our Guest Restaurant: the place where beasts roam freely and the grey stuff is delicious (if you're lucky enough to get a dinner ADR). That reminded me of this BuzzFeed article - 15 signs you're a Disney World addict.

The interior windows are so cool.

The food here gets mixed reviews, but I enjoyed the tuna niçoise salad and passion fruit cream puff. Both were excellent for quick service fare.

To my surprise, Enchanted Tales with Belle really impressed me (especially the audio-animatronics). This isn't something I'd do every trip, but I highly recommend seeing it at least once.

Even considering all of New Fantasyland, I would be hard-pressed to say MK's Fantasyland is better. DL's Fantasyland is both cohesive and well-themed - it feels like a charming Bavarian village, complete with its own Alpine peak. (More on the Matterhorn will be coming later.) MK's Fantasyland unfortunately lacks cohesion. You've got the new Tangled Toilets on one side, New Fantasyland on the other side, and in between you've got Old Fantasyland, with its relatively cheap 'tent' facades for Peter Pan, Small World, and PhilharMagic.

Another thing about DL's Fantasyland - it has more rides than MK's (even including the unopened Mine Train). DL has the Matterhorn, Casey Jr. Circus Train, five classic dark rides (Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, and Mr. Toad), four classics that can be found in MK (Dumbo, Carrousel, Mad Tea Party, and "it's a small world") and the Storybook Land Canal Boats (partially shown below). In addition, a new show (Mickey and the Magical Map) just opened in DL.

"it's a small world" has a much nicer facade at Disneyland, and the ride includes Disney characters that have been subtly incorporated throughout the journey (well, most of them are subtle).

My last DL Fantasyland pic is from the Mad Tea Party (my favorite classic Fantasyland ride). Disneyland's version doesn't have a roof over it, but I actually prefer MK's for its fast-paced soundtrack (which further enhances the 'madness' of the experience).

Overall, both Fantasylands are strong and will always be iconic lands of their respective park (and from what I've heard, the Fantasyland in Disneyland Paris is the strongest anyway). However, both lands are surprisingly different, and they each offer something unique. DL's feels timeless and classic, with a festive Bavarian atmosphere and a strong lineup of attractions. MK's Fantasyland offers immersive new experiences, but parts of the land are inconsistent. It's hard for me to call a winner, so I'll say you simply have to see both.

One more thing - I might not have food pictures, but I can provide links to other places that have pictures! DL's Fantasyland has some interesting food locations, such as the new Maurice's Treats in Fantasy Faire. I'd like to try it next time, especially after reading this review from Disney Food Blog. The twists sound very tasty, as does the Boysen Apple Freeze (which seems like it might be a better balance of sweet/tart than LeFou's Brew).
Old 06-14-2013, 01:08 AM   #146
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Your DL Fantasyland and MK Fantasyland comparison was AWESOME! MK certainly gives DL a run for the money with the new FL - especially the wonderful job they did with the Little Mermaid ride.

Did you see the low tech walk through Sleeping Beauty's castle attraction at DL? Also, one thing at DL that I wish they hadn't changed was re-designing Ariel's grotto into Pixie Hollow. Bring back the red-head! I miss Ariel with fins in the park.

You may know this... Was the original submarine ride part of Fantasyland? The Nemo submarine ride is in Tomorrowland but seems out of character there.

Again, love the update!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #147
Roma
Mouseketeer

I am loving all your park pictures! It is making me so excited to visit later this year .
Old 06-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #148
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Ah I am loving these comparisons! They are making me SO excited for Disneyland!!!! Question: the Casey Jr. Circus Train...that's for little ones, right? Isn't it hard for adults to fit on? I totally would go on, but my dad and my brother might not take too kindly to squeezing on a "kiddie train."

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!
DL: 2009: Fairfield Inn Marriot/ 2010: Camelot Inn/ 2013: Carousel Inn

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

"I Don't Wanna Meet Mickey In a Frumpin' Poncho!"
"SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! It Builds Character and Strength!" A July 2011 TR!

Disneyfreak616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #149
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Your DL Fantasyland and MK Fantasyland comparison was AWESOME! MK certainly gives DL a run for the money with the new FL - especially the wonderful job they did with the Little Mermaid ride.

Agreed that it's much harder to compare the two Fantasylands now. Before, DL's was clearly superior (and it still might be!).

Did you see the low tech walk through Sleeping Beauty's castle attraction at DL? Also, one thing at DL that I wish they hadn't changed was re-designing Ariel's grotto into Pixie Hollow. Bring back the red-head! I miss Ariel with fins in the park.

Nope, the walkthrough is another thing I missed (clearly 2-3 days isn't enough time to see everything). But I do remember seeing Ariel's Grotto several years ago - I've got some pics that I can throw in.

You may know this... Was the original submarine ride part of Fantasyland? The Nemo submarine ride is in Tomorrowland but seems out of character there.

It's an interesting story - the subs were always part of Tomorrowland. They opened in 1959 as part of a major Tomorrowland expansion that also included the monorail and...the Matterhorn! Yep, the Matterhorn was originally considered to be a Tomorrowland attraction - I bet that wasn't the answer you were expecting. But you're right - Nemo seems like an odd fit where it is, and honestly I've got some issues with Tomorrowland as it currently stands.

Again, love the update!
Thanks so much! And here are the Ariel's Grotto pics from our first trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I am loving all your park pictures! It is making me so excited to visit later this year .
I really hope you enjoy Disneyland! It may be small, but there's still so much to enjoy that you can't find at WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak616 View Post
Ah I am loving these comparisons! They are making me SO excited for Disneyland!!!! Question: the Casey Jr. Circus Train...that's for little ones, right? Isn't it hard for adults to fit on? I totally would go on, but my dad and my brother might not take too kindly to squeezing on a "kiddie train."
I'm sure you're going to love DL! As for the Circus Train, I didn't actually ride it, but it definitely looks like something that adults can ride (even if little kids enjoy it most). It travels through Storybook Land (like the Canal Boats), so if you decide to skip one, you can always do the other.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #150
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer

Wow! I have no idea DL's Fantasyland had all those rides! I really must go now!
awfullybigadventure is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: