Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #61
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I don't see how one parent can tell another that they are being over protective. When it's all said and done a parent has to be comfortable and feel that they've done whatever they can to keep them safe.
I don't take offense, I asked the question so wanted opinions. I still don't agree with letting them roam because while I agree that these things can happen anywhere, I want to keep them safe as much as I am able too. Letting them loose on the ship would be too much for me. But I agree that we have to do what we are comfortable with. There are other areas of parenting where we are more lax than most (like tv programming and movies). I just wanted to understand the reasoning behind letting them loose so thanks for answering that.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #62
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfamilylovesdisney View Post
I do not like that Disney doesn't require the tweens in Edge to be signed in and out. I think they are too young to be able to come and go as they please. ....
When we say that the Edge doesn't have sign in/out but the lab does, we are not talking about requiring parents to do this. In the lab there is a computer system in place where every kid is logged in/out of the club each time they enter/exit so at any time the CMs in the club/lab can know if a child is present. Kids even at this level can sign themselves in/out without a parent starting at age 8. It use to be the default and you had to change it to require a parent to be present. The Edge simply doesn't have a computer system in place or a CM staffing the entrance all the time.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #63
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn

I think you might be a tad bit over protective. Like a pp poster said. Most molestations and kidnappings are done by people that know the child. I am way more cautious around neighbors, teachers, coaches, and friends than I am among strangers.

Kids that become unruly when unsupervised probably act the same way when supervised. Parenting issue. Kids should know how to behave without the parents hovering over them.

Your kid probably has a better chance of getting struck by lightning at WDW than they do of getting molested by a stranger on a DCL cruise. So yes I think what happened is an extremely rare event.
I don't think that being over protective refers to their children's behavior, as much as it does to other people's behavior. Many parents trust their children but it is other people you have to worry about. I'm over protective and I'm totally fine with it. ; )
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #64
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topscot View Post
I am wondering how others have handled keeping in contact with their kids while onboard. If we allow our child to sign herself out of the Kids club, to go to, say, the pool, how would we keep track of where she is? She would not have the wave phone with her on the Aqua Duck so how do we keep in contact? This would be the first time letting her have this much freedom so I need a little help on the logistics here. Thanks!
We went through this on our first cruise last year. DD had just turned 10 the month before. We tried the lab but she was probably the oldest kid in there and bored to the point she wasn't having fun. We gave her check out privileges and a wave phone.

Couldn't have gone better from that point. She constantly called us to let us know where she was, what she was planning to do, and if her plans changed. She'd also call if her roaming buddy had to to go so she could meet up with us. For the aquaduck she knew to leave the phone in the stateroom and to go right back and get it when she was done.

We've since been on another cruise and she did great then as well. She's never been late meeting us. She also knows the rules about not going into anyone else's stateroom. She's got a good head on her shoulders. We still worry though .

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #65
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthenspeak

I don't think that being over protective refers to their children's behavior, as much as it does to other people's behavior. Many parents trust their children but it is other people you have to worry about. I'm over protective and I'm totally fine with it. ; )
Completely agree.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #66
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Just out of curiosity, for those of you that don't feel comfortable letting a nine year old out of your sight on a cruise ship (or not alone except in supervised child care), at what age do you think it is safe to let a child under 18 have this kind of freedom???

This is assuming you consider an 18 year old to be an adult consistent with the legal definition.

I ask my 19 year old to let me know where he is (at home and on the ship) so as to ease my anxieties and because he is considerate of his poor Mom he complies. However, for my 16 year old this is not a request as it is not optional for her. She knows she will lose her favorite privileges if she doesn't comply. They are both good kids and have shown me repeatedly in the past that they can be trusted. There will always be predators in the world and they know they need to be wary of that. They are no more at risk than any adult several years older and because I remind them of being safe so often they are perhaps a bit more wary than the average young adult.

I totally get the annoyance of being called over-protective as my DH and his parents have accused me of that in the past frequently....I ignore them and do what makes sense to me.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #67
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

All kids are different - by nature and by nurture. We rely on parents to make the judgement call when their children able to go out in the world alone.

I was the youngest of 4 children and lived with a single mom.....I grew up way too fast.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #68
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
Just out of curiosity, for those of you that don't feel comfortable letting a nine year old out of your sight on a cruise ship (or not alone except in supervised child care), at what age do you think it is safe to let a child under 18 have this kind of freedom???
When it's appropriate...

* Let them ride the bicycle by themselves
* Let them hang out at the mall with friends
* Let them go to the local basketball court on their own
* Let them go to the amusement park on their own

The ship is not a 'secure' environment. It's a combination of different types of public spaces and with that comes it's own dangers.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #69
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthenspeak View Post
I never said there was anything wrong with being over protective. I'm not sure why some people take offense to it.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #70
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
I never said there was anything wrong with being over protective. I'm not sure why some people take offense to it.
Not sure it's possible to go through life without offending someone. Don't sweat it !

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #71
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
I don't think anyone walks the perfect parenting line between being over protective and under protective. We all do our best based on what we know about the world and what we know about our children.

The hardest thing about parenting IMO is pulling back a little....taking the training wheels off.....letting them go to the mall with friends....letting them drive the car...first date....spend the night with friends....go camping with his buddies.....going to girl scout summer camp....

We want to protect our children but we also want to prepare them to face the real world. Be too protective and you will find yourseld sending a 'child' off to college instead of a young adult. Not be protective enough and we put them in a situation they are not prepared for yet.

Read the various opinions on the matter but in the end, trust your instincts as a parent. Only you know your child.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #72
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post

When it's appropriate...

The ship is not a 'secure' environment. It's a combination of different types of public spaces and with that comes it's own dangers.
Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel as well.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #73
natmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post

I don't think anyone walks the perfect parenting line between being over protective and under protective. We all do our best based on what we know about the world and what we know about our children.

The hardest thing about parenting IMO is pulling back a little....taking the training wheels off.....letting them go to the mall with friends....letting them drive the car...first date....spend the night with friends....go camping with his buddies.....going to girl scout summer camp....

We want to protect our children but we also want to prepare them to face the real world. Be too protective and you will find yourseld sending a 'child' off to college instead of a young adult. Not be protective enough and we put them in a situation they are not prepared for yet.

Read the various opinions on the matter but in the end, trust your instincts as a parent. Only you know your child.

I feel the exact same way about 'child' vs young adult.I feel it our job as parents to prepare our children for the real world. We just came back from the dream may 5th sailing. Our children are 10 1/2 and 12 1/2. Both had sign out privileges . They were allowed to leave the club and go to our room ( not roam around), we allowed them to go and get ice cream on their own, we allowed them to do the Mickey detective game on their own. They went down to the shops one day for 1/2 hour. They were NOT allowed to swim, go into any friends room or take any friends to our room. They used the waves phones and never wanted to be away from us for very long. We always knew what they were doing and they thrived with the little bit of independence.
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #74
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If they are old enough to understand and follow basic safety procedures, such as: they stay together, they do not go into a non-public space with anybody no matter what they say, they do not go into anyone else's stateroom, and they do not allow anyone into their own stateroom, they'll most likely be OK if they keep their wave phones with them.

You know your own kids and you know if they are likely to be able to keep track of the wave phone and to follow your directions.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #75
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
When it's appropriate...

This doesn't answer my question...
at what age do you think your child (or any child) is ready to leave your presence on the DCL ship to, for example, go get some ice cream and return immediately???? Or go to the DCL movie theater, watch a movie and then return to you ?? Obviously not age 9-10. So what age are you prepared to let them do things like this for the first time ?
And I gather from your tone of your comments that you feel that regardless of the maturity of the child that they all should get their freedom at the exact same age that you personally establish as appropriate??

Look, obviously I don't look at this the same way as you do. I am just trying to figure out how far off we are from each other...15, 16, 17 ?
Surely you don't intend for college to be the first time your kids are away from you without supervision???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post

I did not feel comfortable letting either of my kids drive at age 16. My son had to wait for his drivers license and so does my daughter...
My 19 year old son's friend has already totaled one car and my brother did the same at the same age (probably part of the reason for my uneasiness about it). But I do know that the best way to keep them safe is to log in as many hours of practice driving as possible So I am trying to find that balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
If they are old enough to understand and follow basic safety procedures, such as: they stay together, they do not go into a non-public space with anybody no matter what they say, they do not go into anyone else's stateroom, and they do not allow anyone into their own stateroom, they'll most likely be OK if they keep their wave phones with them.

You know your own kids and you know if they are likely to be able to keep track of the wave phone and to follow your directions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: