Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
shmoogrrrl
Tigger Goddess
Has discovered the mysterious and elusive tag fairie
Has a fondness for 7624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch'sCousin View Post
Kids do not sign in or out of the Edge or Vibe like they do at the Oceaneer's Club/Lab.
I was about to ask how people were signing their kids out of Edge at 11 and 12.

Of course, you can just tell them to Wave Phone you when they want to leave, and walk up to meet them, I guess.

When we sail, my daughter will be 12 and her best friend (their family will be sailing with us) will also be 12. I imagine that we would let them go together alone to a specific place like from the room to Edge, or from the dining room to Edge. I wouldn't let her (them) go wandering aimlessly. Never by herself anywhere.

I am too paranoid to let my daughter swim without her Father or me up there. I was before that little boy almost drown, and I still am.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #32
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoogrrrl View Post
I was about to ask how people were signing their kids out of Edge at 11 and 12.

Of course, you can just tell them to Wave Phone you when they want to leave, and walk up to meet them, I guess.

When we sail, my daughter will be 12 and her best friend (their family will be sailing with us) will also be 12. I imagine that we would let them go together alone to a specific place like from the room to Edge, or from the dining room to Edge. I wouldn't let her (them) go wandering aimlessly. Never by herself anywhere.

I am too paranoid to let my daughter swim without her Father or me up there. I was before that little boy almost drown, and I still am.
Edge & Vibe are come and go as you wish, no sign ins or outs.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #33
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

We let DS12 (at the time) have freedom of the ship. But, with rules and dire consequences if he broke the rules.

Rules:
He could be in the tween club.
He could be in the pool area.
Period.

He did not want to spend the rest of the cruise attached to Mom (me), so he obeyed.

We have been talking about our upcoming cruise on the Fantasy and he asked the question: You mean I can get a snack at Flo's without you?? The answer was "Yes, you could have done that last time". He took the "Rules" very literally....gotta love it.

On another note: By the time DS#1 was 21, he was in the USMC and had already spent 2 tours in the war zone. Having freedom on the ship at that age is not a worry.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #34
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

I am not saying that I do not worry about my older children (aged 24 and 22), but I would no way be at all concerned about them roaming alone on a cruise ship!!!!! They are independant adults!!

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2minnies View Post
My 2 DD are 19 and 21 and I hate it when they roam alone-like someone said it is a city and there has been plenty of info regarding crimes on cruise ships.

No way!

Linda
Guess it depends on the adults. My brother was 19, his wife 18, and they had a baby by the time she was 19. My aunts and uncles were married right after high school, and had 4 children by the time she was 25, (none lived at home with their parents either.) Might have been the "Greatest Generation matured faster, as they'd helped their families during the Depression. Not coming down on teens today, just saying it depends on the young adults.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #36
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

We're on the Wonder right now. Too many bored kids running down the hall, playing with the elevator buttons, whining! That they don't need a nap. For the sake of the curmudgeons on board, puhleeze make sure your kids will act responsibly before giving them the option to check themselves out of the clubs.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #37
SapphireMind
Mouseketeer

We're just off the Magic. My DD (10.5) had roam privileges. She had to call me if she was changing locations ever. We would set up times for her to check in if she was at the pool (we'd use the movies playing in funnelvision as a guide since clocks aren't easy to find) It worked very well with us. If she was out after dinner, it was with the other girls from our dinner table to go to Edge, and she would come straight back to the room.

You have to judge yourself what your child is capable of
Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #38
Topscot
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireMind View Post
We're just off the Magic. My DD (10.5) had roam privileges. She had to call me if she was changing locations ever. We would set up times for her to check in if she was at the pool (we'd use the movies playing in funnelvision as a guide since clocks aren't easy to find) It worked very well with us. If she was out after dinner, it was with the other girls from our dinner table to go to Edge, and she would come straight back to the room.

You have to judge yourself what your child is capable of
Thanks for this.

3/31/11 - 4/1/11 POR
4/2/11 - 4/9/11 DCL Western

Topscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #39
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

I asked my 16 year old son that has been cruising since he was 9, how old a kid should be before they have privileges to run around the ship. He answered very quickly 8 or 9. Then he thought about what he said and changed what he said. He clarified that it all depended on how mature and responsible the kid was and how they were raised. He said some kids are ready for the responsibility at 8 but he has some friends at 16 that he questions their decision making. So I asked him, "Then you cannot give a age unless you know the kid?" and he agreed that was a good statement.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #40
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

I just got off the Dream on 5/16 and gave my daughter (almost 12) free range on the ship but she had to carry the wave phone and had to check in regularly or I would with her and I was very comfortable. That being said, I don't let my daughter walk around my neighborhood alone. That is how comfortable I was on board. I've worked in a prison for 24 years so I would say my level of concern is higher than most but found the ship to be very comfortable. Once we left the ship we went right back to not leaving Dad's sight. I think it depends on the child, not sure she would have been roaming at 9 or 10 because I wasn't faced with it then but feel really good about my decision to give her some freedom this trip at her current age.
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #41
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
Wow. Words escape me.
No you guys miss understood-I meant no way at the age the OP was talking about not 19 and 21-HaHa!!!!!

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #42
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

This is simply a curiosity to understand a different opinion and I don't mean it as a judgement, just genuine curiosity.

Those of you who will let them roam the ship at 8-12 years old all say things like "if they are mature enough", "they call immediately on the wave phone when changing locations"', "they check in at certain times". Do you not worry about situations like what just happened with the 11 year old or do you think it's too rare to happen? Just trying to understand the mindset because checking in with you wouldn't stop those situations from happening.

The more I read this thread the more dangerous I think cruise ships can be because clearly, people let heir guard down. What better place for a child molester to work?

On another note, I agree with the curmudgeon, lol. Add me to that list too because I would be annoyed at watched unsupervised kids acting up on the ship. I just don't get why vacation means to stop watching what they do.

Maybe I'm just too overprotective. Apparently DCL thinks it's okay or they wouldn't allow check out privileges or encourage parents to send kids to the MDRs unsupervised. But it just leaves me scratching my head.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #43
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Speaking as someone who just came out of the child year(I'm 19) I would say it is a case by case basis at ages 9-10. You know your child, if you think they can handle situations, then let them roam free. If they have a habit of getting into sticky situations, then put them on a shorter leash. My first cruise was when I was 9 and I was allowed to roam free, but I could handle it and my parents knew that. (my 11 year old brother went with me almost everywhere though) I was the kid who memorised the fire escape plan of everywhere I went and memorised the ship layout weeks before the cruise. Only you know your child well enough to know what rules to give them.

With that said, speaking as a child you was given a shorter leash later on, give your child the freedom they can handle, not what makes you comfortable, but what they can handle. If you give them too much, they could get into some trouble, if you give them too little, they can go a little crazy(like cabin fever).

I would give them the freedom they can handle, if they are good kids and don't get into trouble, let them lose, if they tend to get lost or get into trouble, keep them closer. Only you know how much freedom your child can handle. However, it's best to start out short and let the leash out, then to slowly bring it in.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #44
flyersfan1129
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Edge & Vibe are come and go as you wish, no sign ins or outs.
This may be DCL policy, but it was not OUR policy with our 11 year old son last year on the Fantasy. Unless it was an ORGANIZED outing, he was NOT to leave the tween club without notifying us, and then one of us would meet him. He had made some friends of the same age, and their parents had made the same rule, so we were OK if he was with one of them, and one of their parents met up with them. I have no doubt in my son; he is a very mature 11 and has had the fear of God put into him about "stranger danger", but it is not him I worry about. We had a sex offender move into our neighborhood over the STRENUOUS objections of all who live in our neighborhood...it only takes a minute.

Last edited by flyersfan1129; 05-27-2013 at 11:00 AM.
flyersfan1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #45
flateacher
Mouseketeer

I agree with flyersfan...

It is not my daughter or her judgement I don't trust... It is the other people on board.

When we cruised in March she was 11 1/2 and I did NOT let her sign out from the club/lab. She did not go to Edge. IF she did she would not be allowed to leave without me picking her up. I understand she could just walk out - but MY rules would be to wait for me.

If for no other reason than for what just came to light about the incident on the Dream.... no amount of teaching, coaching or explaining how to handle herself could save her from that situation... her knowing karate or to "Scream fire" isn't going to help her either.... that child (on the Dream) was touched before she knew what hit her (poor thing)....
flateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: