Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #61
AntePrincess
Not a princess... yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
While we are on the subject.....the 2013 Hurricane Season starts on June 1st. Now is the time to replenish your Hurricane safety kits.

I hope and pray that there are NO Katrina's and Sandy's that make landfall anywhere in the US.

Stay safe all.
Best comment of the thread, IMO. Maybe hurricane season prep ought to be its own spin off thread. I know that we're stocking up. Most of our hurricane season supplies double as camping equipment.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #62
hereyago
DIS Veteran

The statement about it snowed and was cold after Sandy, how is that different then after a hurricane in the heat? Both can cause death.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #63
3 MEN AND A BOAT
Mouseketeer

There are no real differences between disasters other than which one directly affected you. I've lived through several hurricanes with both my home and business being flooded, at that time to me, their was no greater disaster, when I first saw pictures of Sandy I could relate and yes it's still on the news about once a week here in coastal Al.
The feeling like theirs no help is common too. After Katrina, Ivan, the Oil Spill, etc. I thought life as I knew it was over, but you get through it.

We're still being affected by the BP oil spill and still waiting on claims that were suppose to be quick and efficient.

OP- I must say the comment that the whole world stops when NY stops sounds self centered.
3 MEN AND A BOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #64
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
While we are on the subject.....the 2013 Hurricane Season starts on June 1st. Now is the time to replenish your Hurricane safety kits.

I hope and pray that there are NO Katrina's and Sandy's that make landfall anywhere in the US.

Stay safe all.
Excellent reminder! Nice positive, proactive statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntePrincess View Post
Best comment of the thread, IMO. Maybe hurricane season prep ought to be its own spin off thread. I know that we're stocking up. Most of our hurricane season supplies double as camping equipment.

Agreed. We are stocking up too.

This month is Tax Free Hurricane and Emergency Preparedness, so it's a timely message indeed.

I think it runs 7 days. Not sure about that.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #65
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
It did for me, but because of claims. Irene, Sandy and a small claim this year and my insurane company said byebye! We are now in a high risk pool, and my insurance is alot more. And I just had to pay it in full! It is sickening. I hate insurance companies. It doesn't matter that I went 20 years without a claim, that is fine, but when you need them. Nope..toodles..don't let the door hit you on your way out.
This is my world as well. I live in the Orlando area. Even though I've never made a claim, I'm on my third insurance company in nine years. Due to the cost of the past hurricane disasters in the state, my previous two insurance companies decided to no longer cover homes in Florida. And, each year, the cost of coverage rises.

Unfortunately, this is just part of living today. No area is immune to natural disaster. If one occurs in your state, you will feel the affects in your pocket book regardless of whether you personally experienced a loss.
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #66
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Insurance companies are the pits. We live 50 miles from the coast and our rates have gone up.

Those who live near the coast have to go with a high risk company. Many people decided to sell their homes and move because their homeowners premiums were so much higher than their house notes. Then as if that wasn't bad enough, the oil spill killed jobs for hundreds of others.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #67
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

I have been watching coverage of the President's trip to today to areas impacted by Sandy and a lot of those locals being interviewed are commenting on "how quickly" repairs have been made and how nice it is "to not feel forgotten"

So not everyone impacted by Sandy is frustrated with the relief efforts.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #68
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
Because as bad as Sandy was, Katrina was worse in terms of destruction abd displacement of people. Not to mention, failure of government on every level.
I agree with this 100%. Katrina was far worse (and I am someone who had 4ft of water in my living room during Sandy and spent $100K of our own money to fix our home).
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #69
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan

I agree with this 100%. Katrina was far worse (and I am someone who had 4ft of water in my living room during Sandy and spent $100K of our own money to fix our home).
I understand completely.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #70
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Op, we do still get updates about Sandy.

You say that you got news about Katrina for a long time afterwards. Let me ask you this, did you hear Katrina updates for NOLA and Mississippi or just NOLA? Did you know that Katrina did not hit NOLA but hit Mississippi? If you didn't, don't feel bad, a lot of people that don't live in this area didn't know it either.

I understand how you feel, but really, try being "the land mass between NOLA and Mobile".

I don't envy NOLA one bit for the devastation they went through. And Mississippi has come through her own devastation just fine and is stronger on the other side. A lot of rebuilding has been done and our beautiful coast is becoming that way again (still miss some of those old southern homes though) And that is what really matters, not how much your disaster gets put on the news.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #71
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

I'm going to say that part of that is NJ's tourism bureau. Every day I hear a radio ad (sometimes several times) that the Jersey shore is "Stronger than the storm" and that everything is hunky dory and they are "open for business". I have friends with places on the shore so I know they are still rebuilding, but according to the ads I hear constantly, NJ is fine.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #72
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post

It is ridiculous and self-serving to make comparisons between natural disasters and then try to determine if "your" personal disaster has been neglected. I don't know why people do this. We all know people who have been affected by superstorms, blizzards, floods, and fires. There is no "worse" storm when your area is the one to be devastated, but it is beyond ignorant to try assess what media coverage and what assistance other areas have received, and then try to compare that assistance to the response that your own area received. There really is no way to know, so all that can be done is to "guess", which serves no purpose whatsoever, unless the purpose is gauge what reactions can be had.

My area was hit by Albert. In my years I had never seen such a storm and I pray that I never will again. We had people complain that the response was slow, that there was not enough money, and that resources were limited. That was not my experience. And CT is one small state. I imagine that for every storm that has been discussed here, every personal experience will differ as well.

Sharing experiences makes you see other people's view. Worrying about family and friends is not self serving its being concerned for futures of people that mean the world to you.

I think you calling all that have responded to this thread "beyond ignorant" is very cruel.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #73
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Hoping and praying that no one is badly affected by any other disaster either natural or man made.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #74
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Hoping and praying that no one is badly affected by any other disaster either natural or man made.

We have all our extra supplies lined up already.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: