Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #16
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other
 
Aliceacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,338

I will agree that the past 7 months have taught me a lot about not forgetting the victims after the news teams leave.

We were amazingly lucky; all we lost was part of our roof. I work with a number of people, and have I don't know how many students, who are still displaced.

And it has made me remarkably attuned to these tragedies, and to the need to help someone at the grass roots level. I have a check upstairs to mail today to a Catholic Church in Moore OK. Not a national organization, but someone local who will put the money to good use without administrative costs.

This year we're also doing a Stay-cation, and I want to hit the Freeport Nautical Mile as often as I can to support the small businesses who have reopened.

Probably what made me angriest was in the immediate aftermath of Sandy, before election day. A big name politician arrived in Massapequa (I think, it may have been another area devastated by the storm) to survey the damage. She had a winter coat on, and got out of a heated car, then pressed the flesh as she saw how bad it was. And all I could think as I saw the coverage was: those people are so very cold, with no coats or blankets-- we had 6 inches of snow about a week after the storm. And this politician walked among those people-- to do what??? She wasn't handing out coats or blankets or Clorox or Hefty bags, she was seeing what a hurricane can do to an oceanfront community. Was she unable to tell that from the pictures?? The money that was spent getting her into NY, the money that was spent on her security detail, the gas that was spent at a time when we were waiting 2 hours (or more, I got lucky) for gas-- what a tremendous waste it was!! And waste, particularly at a time when resources are stretched so very tight, makes me angry.

Anyway, I'm far more attuned to the needs of those people in the pictures. At Christmas, for my annual Christmas party with my sisters and friends, we had a housewarming for one of the teachers in my school who lost everything in Sandy. (She's still displaced, but had finally found a rental apartment and was starting from scratch. She hopes to move back home this summer.) My husband and I went VERY light with each other so we could give a small donation to the people at work who had lost their homes. It wasn't much, but it was a little.

I've learned a lot about the value of a lot of people each doing a little. And then... and it's the important part... continuing to do a little more.

While I'm still on a roll here, let me tell you about another friend. She and her husband didn't wait for the FEMA check to come, they sunk every dime they had into rebuilding their home. They moved back over Easter vacation. And found out shortly afterward that, in spite of having done all the paperwork through Long Beach, Long Beach had changed the rules and their house needs to be raised something like a foot or two. So their brand new, barely used house, isn't to code, even though they filed all the correct paperwork. Yes, they've hired a lawyer.

Forgive me for rambling. This is obviously a topic that hits close to home.
__________________
DH: me: DS (16) , DD (14): DD (11):


numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 05-26-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Aliceacc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #17
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo
 
bunkkinsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,848

We did a drive for Sandy here in my kids' school in NC. I know a lot of stuff went to the Red Cross from all over the country, but we donated directly to the Rockaway Beach Fire Station. Some kids from our school have a dad who is a firefighter there. He was on duty when Sandy hit and said it was like a war zone. His wife was here in NC watching CNN all night trying to get a glimpse of his engine. The devastating thing was how long through the winter some of these folks went without power. He said it was amazing to see how well all of the people came together. They sort of made their own community with Camp Fires in the streets. We sent two tractor trailers directly to the fire station with cleaning supplies, tarps, all the stuff that they asked for.

I heard once that if you bring a fire station patch to Disney's Fire House, they have a place to put it up on their wall. My friend is bringing me one from Rockaway for my upcoming trip.
__________________
Jan 2014 INTERACTIVE DINING REPORT!! - COMPLETED!! http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3211959
INTERACTIVE DINING REPORT!!! Jan 2012!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2865060


Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
bunkkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #18
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other
 
Aliceacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkkinsmom View Post
We did a drive for Sandy here in my kids' school in NC. I know a lot of stuff went to the Red Cross from all over the country, but we donated directly to the Rockaway Beach Fire Station. Some kids from our school have a dad who is a firefighter there. He was on duty when Sandy hit and said it was like a war zone. His wife was here in NC watching CNN all night trying to get a glimpse of his engine. The devastating thing was how long through the winter some of these folks went without power. He said it was amazing to see how well all of the people came together. They sort of made their own community with Camp Fires in the streets. We sent two tractor trailers directly to the fire station with cleaning supplies, tarps, all the stuff that they asked for.

I heard once that if you bring a fire station patch to Disney's Fire House, they have a place to put it up on their wall. My friend is bringing me one from Rockaway for my upcoming trip.
Thank you!

The Rockaways were badly hit, and the village of Breezy Point particularly so: they had a fire in the midst of the hurricane. There was no power, and the firefighters were unable to save a lot of houses. Most were built as beach bungalows, so they were close together and ionce the fire started it was a nightmare.
__________________
DH: me: DS (16) , DD (14): DD (11):


numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 05-26-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Aliceacc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #19
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay
 
OceanAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
Not to mention a failure of person responsibility on every level.

My first thought re: sandy vs. katrina coverage is the death toll. Then the string of tragedies that have overwhelmed the nation since then.
It wasn't one person that failed. Just like all the scandals of today. It isn't one person responsible, but many on every level.

I think it was odd to see the re-opening of Jersey Shore juxtaposed with the devastation.
__________________


"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown



OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #20
AntePrincess
Not a princess... yet.
 
AntePrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 886

As someone who lives in NJ and spent a week without power (we were very lucky and we had the place full of people who had no power or water), I think it's simple fatigue, even right here next door to the disaster areas. My husband's family spent half of every year on the shore, now all their memories are underwater or burnt to ash. He hasn't wanted to look at the damage since he took one virtual tour of his old town and found it completely destroyed. So I'm saying that, even as people who live here and donate here, we're guilty of looking for other news too.

That said we're also staying at home this year and we also plan to visit the shore frequently, if not that one town.
__________________
Filling the vacation jar & it's looking good!
AntePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
tcufrog
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 429

Katrina was the costliest natural disaster in the US. There were also some very dramatic stories such stories of the National Guard being mobilized because of crime, memorable quotes ("Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job,") and horrifying stories of governmental ineptitude. Honestly, I wouldn't want to be remembered if it meant some of those things that happened in New Orleans happening where I lived.

I have no idea how much coverage Katrina got everywhere else. There was tons of coverage where I lived because thousands of survivors were relocated to my area.
tcufrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
lucyanna girl
My hair looks like Tigger spit out a hairball!
I have alot of AFV moments in my life.
he was no match for a scared mama with a water ski
I'm a Cheerios Girl Myself
 
lucyanna girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: northeast louisiana
Posts: 3,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Sadly, nearly 8 years after Katrina, victims are still waiting to settle claims.

And then there's what some have called the "forgotten hurricane", Rita. It hit 3 weeks after Rita, and was the fourth worst hurricane in U.S. history. All the resources and attention were focused on Katrina. Some of those folks are STILL waiting for FEMA to process their claims to find out IF FEMA will be offering aid, and some are still living in FEMA trailers.

So, Sandy isn't forgotten, sadly, all the hurricane victims ahead of them in line have to be helped first.
So true. My son and daughter-in-law lost everything to Rita. They went back to find an empty lot - only things left were a couple of pieces of flatware in the mud. Both were teachers and stayed at Johnson's Bayou school to help rebuild for another year while living in a very small FEMA trailer because that was all there was to live in. After getting pregnant and having a baby boy who had pnumonia three times before his first birthday (I still wonder how much the FEMA trailer had to do with that) they found jobs elsewhere - they had to put his health above all else. He hasn't been sick beyond the usual since.

To get back to your question OP, we still get reports on the news about Sandy. Not as many or as often but I still read and hear them. Many more I'm sure than you ever did about Rita.

Good luck to you and all those who suffered.

Penny
__________________
I've been pickled!
lucyanna girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #23
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 12,858

Same reason nobody talks about Joplin or Tuscaloosa anymore - just not on the same scale of death and destruction as Katrina.
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #24
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran
 
Lorelei Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,637

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney

Not to mention a failure of person responsibility on every level.

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

During Katrina we saw a failure of government on the federal, state and local levels, a failure that crossed party lines, to do its most basic function -- safeguard the people in the affected area to the best of its ability and rescue its citizens after the disaster. We can do better.


We have done better.

The best picture comung out of Sandy was Gov. Christie and President Obama putting aside their political differences to do what was needed in the first few days after the storm. Certainly not perfect, and there were numerous problems around here after Sandy, but not a monumental failure like Katrina.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
Tozzie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,957

I am not trying to offend anyone by this post but being a New Yorker these are my thoughts.

I think the problem is where Sandy hit and hit so hard. There are people that think that New York can rebound from anything without help, there are others who think that New York gets too much attention as it is and don't think it should get more. Lets face it, the people displaced from $3000 dollar a month apartments in Manhattan are not news worthy nor do they garner sympathy. It is all about what is going to sell news and ratings are what stations use to set advertising rates so again it is about the almighty dollar and Sandy victims don't get ratings.

I was reading a story about the power outages about 2 weeks after the storm and the comments from people around the country were astonishing to say the least, comments were comparing it to hurricane andrew and the lack of electricity for 3 or 4 weeks or Katrina and the same. What these people who commented couldn't or refused to comprehend was that no one in Florida or Louisiana had to deal with snow and below freezing tempratures 1 week after the storms hit. They thought it was about lights and TV but in reality it was about electricity to have heat.

I was amazed at the opposition the members of congress had to approving federal aid. I feel tremendous sympathy for the victims of this weeks Tornado's but both senators from Oklahoma voted against federal aid packages for the people of NY and NJ after Sandy yet want aid for their state now that it has hit them.

I don't garner any ill will for the ignorant among us, there are times that I will be speaking to someone and I honestly get the feeling they think 9/11 was a horror movie they watched on TV.

There are different standards for different people and different groups of people, it isn't the fault of the public at large, it is a carefully orchestrated game with rules set by a few. It is what it is and it won't change so you have to learn to live with it.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #26
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts
 
snarlingcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,641

Sandy IS still getting mentioned in the new media, it's just not all they're discussing any more.

I hate to play "my tragedy is bigger than yours" but Katrina caused at least double, if not closer to triple the devastation of Sandy and was followed up by a more powerful storm, Rita, about 150 miles to the west that caused, I would guess, about the level of Sandy damage. (Thank you TV Guy for pointing that out! My family all live dead center of the area that Rita hit.)

I've lived in the hurricane zone most of my life. You have to realize, you won't be the top tragedy on the news after a while, even though your life is topsy turvy and will remain topsy turvy for many years to come.
__________________
Our family:
DH Me
Our menagerie:
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #27
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay
 
OceanAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
I am not trying to offend anyone by this post but being a New Yorker these are my thoughts.

I think the problem is where Sandy hit and hit so hard. There are people that think that New York can rebound from anything without help, there are others who think that New York gets too much attention as it is and don't think it should get more. Lets face it, the people displaced from $3000 dollar a month apartments in Manhattan are not news worthy nor do they garner sympathy. It is all about what is going to sell news and ratings are what stations use to set advertising rates so again it is about the almighty dollar and Sandy victims don't get ratings.

I was reading a story about the power outages about 2 weeks after the storm and the comments from people around the country were astonishing to say the least, comments were comparing it to hurricane andrew and the lack of electricity for 3 or 4 weeks or Katrina and the same. What these people who commented couldn't or refused to comprehend was that no one in Florida or Louisiana had to deal with snow and below freezing tempratures 1 week after the storms hit. They thought it was about lights and TV but in reality it was about electricity to have heat.

I was amazed at the opposition the members of congress had to approving federal aid. I feel tremendous sympathy for the victims of this weeks Tornado's but both senators from Oklahoma voted against federal aid packages for the people of NY and NJ after Sandy yet want aid for their state now that it has hit them.

I don't garner any ill will for the ignorant among us, there are times that I will be speaking to someone and I honestly get the feeling they think 9/11 was a horror movie they watched on TV.

There are different standards for different people and different groups of people, it isn't the fault of the public at large, it is a carefully orchestrated game with rules set by a few. It is what it is and it won't change so you have to learn to live with it.
I think you raised some excellent points.

I couldn't believe how the tragedy of Sandy was mismanaged. I remember the controversy of Bloomburg not wanting to cancel the race. Using generators and giving out water to people running a race when victims of Sandy could have used those resources. It was sad. It was heartening that hotels were giving away their rooms to victims instead of the runners. Some might not have agreed with that move, but I thought it was needed.

I read about Bloomburg thinking about the revenue the race would've generated, but IMO it wasn't the time. People were hurting in the present.

Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking.

I hope everyone that has had a disaster hit is on the road to better beginnings. But it takes time and resources. Sadly, we are very low on resources. It makes me mad that our resources are going overseas when we need them, but that's another matter.
__________________


"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown



OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #28
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 12,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
Not sure what you're trying to say here.
I think we all know what's being said there. In most of these disasters, there are stories of self-reliance that come shining through. Katrina showed a disturbing lack of that - whether it was that the storm was just too overwhelming or the people ill prepared or some combination of both, it was starkly different from most storms.

To be certain, the refusal of local authorities to allow federal help, and then the federal help coming too slowly once it was authorized were shameful. But, the vicrims' total lack of preparedness and lack of self preservation - for whatever reasons - were eye opening to say the least.
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #29
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts
 
snarlingcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
I was reading a story about the power outages about 2 weeks after the storm and the comments from people around the country were astonishing to say the least, comments were comparing it to hurricane andrew and the lack of electricity for 3 or 4 weeks or Katrina and the same. What these people who commented couldn't or refused to comprehend was that no one in Florida or Louisiana had to deal with snow and below freezing tempratures 1 week after the storms hit. They thought it was about lights and TV but in reality it was about electricity to have heat.
Unrelenting heat and humidity can kill and did so after Katrina and Rita. I know of someone who died due to the added stress of the heat and humidity on her body for so long, so I'm sure there are others who were in that situation.

I was without heat in my house in MA for several days in mid-winter when the boiler was having issues. I've been without power after hurricanes for days on end. I'm not sure which is more miserable. However, they're both about equally dangerous, especially to the more vulnerable members of a population.
__________________
Our family:
DH Me
Our menagerie:
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #30
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay
 
OceanAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
I think we all know what's being said there. In most of these disasters, there are stories of self-reliance that come shining through. Katrina showed a disturbing lack of that - whether it was that the storm was just too overwhelming or the people ill prepared or some combination of both, it was starkly different from most storms.

To be certain, the refusal of local authorities to allow federal help, and then the federal help coming too slowly once it was authorized were shameful. But, the vicrims' total lack of preparedness and lack of self preservation - for whatever reasons - were eye opening to say the least.
It was stunning the lack of preparedness. There were warnings. I can still see all those buses underwater that could have been used to transport people. At the very least they should have been moved to higher ground to be saved.

Breathtakingly stunning. Also the lawlessness that abounded. Everything degenerated very quickly.
__________________


"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown



OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: