Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Katrina & Sandy Why?

This is NJ today.
Why is the rest of the country so unaware of the devastation that Sandy has caused? Katrina was on the news in the Tri-State area for a very long time.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERENOUGHWDW
This is NJ today.
Why is the rest of the country so unaware of the devastation that Sandy has caused? Katrina was on the news in the Tri-State area for a very long time.

Coming from a Katrina area, I want you to know that we do still get Sandy news and updates. We also still have Katrina updates and Katrina hit August 2005.

Our area is not the same as it was before and never will be. We still have places that should be torn down, etc.

I like to think that because we have had horrible weather events our media and people of our area are more attuned and compassionate to compromised areas.

Just know that I feel for y'all. The media has moved on to the Oklahoma and other area's disaster news--as it should have.

Devastation is never easy and takes a lot of time to heal from.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Part of it, I think, is "catastrophe fatigue." The media gets all they can out of the story and move on.

I think part of the reason the Katrina hurricane spent so much time in the media had to do with the 1,464 deaths.

I also think there were "other issues" that lead to the media ignoring followup stories about Sandy, but I would prefer not going into details because I don't want points.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Because as bad as Sandy was, Katrina was worse in terms of destruction abd displacement of people. Not to mention, failure of government on every level.

And don't forget that since Sandy we had Newtown, the Boston Marathon, the factory in Texas and the tornado in Oklahoma.

Not that it makes a difference to those still trying to rebuild their homes.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

I have a diser from Jersey on facebook and she shows the other side of the devastation thru her pictures. She shows the rebuilding, the boardwalk being open, the beaches... we are not unaware. We've not forgotten.. but other disasters have happened since Sandy
Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck

I also think there were "other issues" that lead to the media ignoring followup stories about Sandy, but I would prefer not going into details because I don't want points.

Completely disagree with you on that one.

FYI Brian Williams did a whole "Rock Center" on Sandy about a month ago.

Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

We still get Sandy news out here in California. There was TV coverage of Prince Harry's visit to the affected areas. The Today Show was just at the Jersey Shore last week and they covered the rebuilding process. The news definitely runs in cycles, with the most recent events getting the bulk of the coverage. However, I do feel that Sandy is still getting a share of media time. I'm seeing it out here on a fairly regular basis.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Welcome to the life goes on and other things happen. It happens to all disasters. It isnt meant to be a snark, but i know first hand

And let us not forget how massive Sandy was, so it wasn't just NJ hit.

Eventually the volunteers go home, some of the out of state power and construction companies leave. Insurance companies and contractors are backed up . Some didn't have insurance or the right kind so no work can be done.

Last edited by hereyago; 05-25-2013 at 11:03 PM.
hereyago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Another note about recovery and rebuilding--Don't know if Sandy affected areas are dealing with extreme insurance costs yet. But we are. Our homeowners has quadrupled and we are 11 miles inland and not near any body of water. We had minimal damage, but because we are in an affected county, it's the way it is.

Cost of insurance has prevented a lot of people from rebuilding.

There are also new costly building codes and modifications.

The insurance cost is a very sore subject in our region.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
Because as bad as Sandy was, Katrina was worse in terms of destruction abd displacement of people. Not to mention, failure of government on every level.

And don't forget that since Sandy we had Newtown, the Boston Marathon, the factory in Texas and the tornado in Oklahoma.

Exactly what I was going to say. The media hops from one big story to the next, and there were many afterwards. I am in MA, not all that far away from damage in RI & CT, not to mention NY & NJ, and we hear little. We heard that the boardwalk was aiming to reopen soon - maybe this weekend? When that is what they air, yes, it makes it sound as though everything is just great down there.

My FIL in CT had just finished a nice remodel of his house, 2 months later was flooded out by Irene, and had just finished rebuilding AGAIN, was back in house only a few months when it was all flooded about by Sandy. He's moved out again of course, and he is done. Not going to rebuild it for yet a 3rd time in 3 yrs & will probably sell it as is for the value of land. Most of his neighbors are doing the same after 2 storms in short time wiped out their street....and these houses were already elevated above flood zones heights requirements.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
CaliforniaDreamin
DIS Veteran (and then some)
Can you tell I was a child of the 80's??

Also, the death toll from Katrina was almost 2 thousand people. Not making the deaths of those associated with Sandy any less significant, but it was much, much less. 117 people lost their lives.
And the cost of damage from Katrina is double that of Sandy.

The pictures of the damage from Sandy are horrible, and we know there is a lot more work ahead. But you can't compare the two. It's not about picking one or the other.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Sadly, nearly 8 years after Katrina, victims are still waiting to settle claims.

And then there's what some have called the "forgotten hurricane", Rita. It hit 3 weeks after Rita, and was the fourth worst hurricane in U.S. history. All the resources and attention were focused on Katrina. Some of those folks are STILL waiting for FEMA to process their claims to find out IF FEMA will be offering aid, and some are still living in FEMA trailers.

So, Sandy isn't forgotten, sadly, all the hurricane victims ahead of them in line have to be helped first.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
skatalite
Anybody interested in grabbing a couple of burgers and hittin' the cemetery?

No media outlet wants to be scooped, so when something big happens, they flock to it.

When something new happens, they then flock to that.

Resources are finite, too. The likes of Tom Brokaw can't be everywhere at once.

I'm an Oklahoman journalist, currently trying to enjoy my one day off of a two-week stretch. The past week has been the most difficult of my professional career. Everyone in the newsroom becomes a reporter, photographer, videographer and editor, and it's all hands on deck. Which means, sadly, some other "smaller" things don't get the attention they would otherwise get, or fully deserve.

We don't mean for it to happen, but it's the nature of the business at times.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
hereyago
DIS Veteran

As for recent coverage, I saw Prince Harry and Gov. Christie walk the board walk and the old rollercoaster will be replaced by a ride called Superstorm:
hereyago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #15
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post

Not to mention a failure of person responsibility on every level.

My first thought re: sandy vs. katrina coverage is the death toll. Then the string of tragedies that have overwhelmed the nation since then.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: