Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Kids and the odd things they like to eat/not eat

Sitting down and taking a break and got to thinking about my DD who has to me some odd eating habits. She wont eat spaghetti or strawberries.

Yet she will eat pasta in spaghetti sauce like the curly noodles. She also likes cows tongue when we get Mexican food and she likes snacking on liverwurst on saltine crackers.

To me that's just odd. So what food oddities do your kids have.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
poohguys
DIS Veteran

DS12 likes pickled okra, asparagus, all fish and shellfish. He wont eat tomatoes, rice or pasta.

Off Site '74
Husband too many times to remember starting in 1979
Poly '90
Dixie Landings '95
SOG '96 (honeymoon trip 15 wonderful days!)
Dixie (POR)'97
Dixie (POR) 2003 (First trip for our son)
Dixie (POR)Oct 2005
Dixie (POR) August 2006
Dixie (POR) August 2007
Dixie (POR) August 2012

poohguys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

I love Braunschweiger. My grandmother used to give it to me as a special treat on ritz crackers as a kid. I was probably less picky as a kid than I am now.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

DD, age 8, has always liked some things that I think are unusual for young kids to like. She *loves* raw onion, and always has. She will eat a big hunk of raw onion as a snack. She also has always loved garlicky stuff like pickles and guacamole. She will not eat rice.

DS, age 12, has always been a "good eater" and likes a wide variety of food. However, he does not like cabbage...and if it's in there he will find it. I've seen him pick the teensiest piece of cabbage out of soup or salad. Once he finds cabbage, he's done. (Funny story: We adopted him from Russia. He ate lots of cabbage there without complaint. I even fed some of it to him in the orphanage. On our flight home to the USA, the airline brought us a "baby meal" which included some sort of puréed cabbage. DS wouldn't touch that cabbage, nor any since. It's as though as soon as we left Russian airspace, he thought "I'm done with that stuff!")
Old 05-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70
Sitting down and taking a break and got to thinking about my DD who has to me some odd eating habits. She wont eat spaghetti or strawberries.

Yet she will eat pasta in spaghetti sauce like the curly noodles. She also likes cows tongue when we get Mexican food and she likes snacking on liverwurst on saltine crackers.

To me that's just odd. So what food oddities do your kids have.
My DS13 would eat an onion like an apple if I let him. When he was little, he used to eat hot dogs but one day when he was about 4, he became "allergic". Same with Mac n cheese, he was "allergic" to any that wasn't the big elbow noodles. He will eat just about anything now... And lots of it!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using DISBoards
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

Pickle-sicles (frozen pickle juice on a stick)

DisneyDiva8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

My kid likes heat, that is spicy things that don't have a lot of other complex flavors. He particularly likes wasabi and anything with jalapeno peppers in it.

When he was about 6 he had a friend spend the weekend while his mom was out of town. I took them out to a buffet restaurant that had sushi and lots of other things. The other kid had never eaten sushi but he watched my son and picked what my son picked, including a dab of wasabi. His dab ended up being much bigger than my son's.

He watched my kid put a taste of his wasabi in his mouth, and then, before I could stop him, put his dab in his mouth, the whole thing, maybe a teaspoon full.

Of course he was miserable, and I felt awful. He was a little mad at my kid the whole rest of the weekend. I think he thought my son had tricked him somehow. He couldn't believe he had really eaten the stuff.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

5 year old DD is really picky. There are tons of things she doesn't like to eat, but about the only thing I will let her get away with is ground beef. So whenever we have burgers she gets a hot dog. She looooves hot dogs. 2 year old DS will eat nearly everything. He loves frozen peas (still frozen). He loves hummus, sushi, onion rings...I actually can't think of anything he won't eat.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #9
pigletto
DIS Veteran

ds9 is far less picky than he used to be, but has always had an aversion to strong flavours. However, he has always loved Blue Cheese and Blue Cheese dressing?
I've always found that odd. I can't even stand the smell and he just gobbles it right up
Old 05-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
EnduringWone
Mouseketeer

My youngest daughter (9) loves salmon, brown rice, spinach, black olives, mushrooms and broccoli.

But she does not like bananas, apples or grapes. She does eat fruit, she loves berries and citrus fruits, just not those three.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Both of my kids will eat almost anything you put in front of the. The youngest one (9) likes peanut butter and ham sandwiches (pb & ham on the same sandwich). He will not eat mashed potatoes, though.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabyblues View Post
Both of my kids will eat almost anything you put in front of the. The youngest one (9) likes peanut butter and ham sandwiches (pb & ham on the same sandwich). He will not eat mashed potatoes, though.
we do PB and bacon sandwiches. So good.

My kids are good eaters. YDS loves escargot, any kind of salad, lemons by the whole, and anything sour. The more sour, the better.

ODS loves spicy. Spicy salsas, sauces, etc. he loves pesto, any kind of game meat (he was snacking on alligator, emu, duck, bison, and boar jerky last weekend), and buffalo is his fave. meat ever.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandrA9810 View Post
I love Braunschweiger. My grandmother used to give it to me as a special treat on ritz crackers as a kid. I was probably less picky as a kid than I am now.
My DD loves this with butter on a sandwich. My grandfather for her eating it.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #14
Robbi
DIS Veteran

My older son had to hide meat in order to eat it and loved vegetables and seafood.
My second son did not like vegetables and loved meat and seafood.
My daughter eats pretty much anything but fish or shellfish.
My husband eats anything.
I eat meat only once or twice a month and I love vegetables, except beets.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

My 3 year old won't eat any potatoes except fries. He won't eat them mashed, baked, or roasted. He'll eat the salad and broccoli on his plate and leave the mashed potatoes.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: