Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #61
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousdiser View Post
Maybe so. He didn't say that though and I think it would be highly inappropriate if he did. He may know more about drugs but it is not his job to prescribe them. It sounds like you are more comfortable with your pharmacist being more involved in your healthcare. I am not. I don't think anyone would be comfortable with the way he conducted himself on the phone though.
Heaven forbid a pharmicist does his job...you may not like it but it is his/her job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura66 View Post
I wanted to add - my neighbor is a pharmacist - and a damn good and caring one. You would not believe the stories.
Doctors prescribing wrong drugs and fatal dosages that he catches! Doctors prescribing drugs they know nothing about - you name it!
You would also not believe the abuse he gets from customers. Mad at him because he can't fill rx's the insurance company won't cover. A lot of patients have no idea what they are being prescribed and why so he does have to ask questions and explain things! Poor guy can't win!

A pharmacist job is not to just count out the meds and send you off, they are the expert in your healthcare from this standpoint. If I have a question about my meds, I call them.

Now maybe this particular pharmacist was rude but it is his job to call for CERTAIN long term meds.

You are entitled to switch but just be prepared that it might happen again. Why dont you call the pharmacist there that you trust and ask her about the situation.

And me personally I think I would prefer a call at home about a sensitive topic than standing in those consultation areas of the pharmacy and having a conversation. I mean you would be cool with the pharmacist saying excuse Mrs. Jones please step over here with me to discuss your meds. Probably not you would be embarassed...and then heaven forbid anyone heard he question you about the meds. My guess is HIPPA is making it much more difficult for the pharmacist to talk to the patient in the store. Plus if I am another customer, I would prefer him making calls like that during downtime or time set aside for that, instead of making me wait as well for them now to fill my Rx.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #62
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I would be uncomfortable with the questioning too and would switch to another pharmacy. As far as I am concerned, how well my meds are working or not working is between me and my doctor.
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #63
Laura66
DIS Veteran

You also say you've been going to him for a very long time!

I've been going to the same pharmacy for 20+ years and Ive known my pharmacist for the same amount of time. I have developed a great repoire with him and several of the techs! If I felt he was treating me in a rude manner I'd think a couple of things. Maybe he's having a particularly stressful day or maybe Im a bit defensive and not responding in a polite matter. It happens to all of us and no way would I see that as grounds for severing a long and otherwise professional and friendly relationship!
Laura66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #64
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I would be uncomfortable with the questioning too and would switch to another pharmacy. As far as I am concerned, how well my meds are working or not working is between me and my doctor.
EXACTLY. I will call my DOCTOR if I need my medication adjusted because he and only he is privy to my medical history (not just my drug history) and my problems and the reasons why he has chosen certain meds. I trust my pharmacist to answer my questions when I have them, as they have always done. They ask me every time, "Do you have questions for the pharmacist?" I say Yes or No. End of Story.

Let's say I was getting Valtrex and he called me at home to see how my herpes flare was doing? How cool would that be? Who here wants that call, I mean really wants that call from your pharmacist? He did not even ask me any information to verify who I was for sure (like my address) before he started talking.

They have lost my business.

Good for those who think this is ok. I am not one of them. Your arguments and links will not make me one of them. I appreciate your point of view but I am not changing mine.

After reading this thread, I do realize I was sensitive and made this personal. It's just an invasive corporate practice they are probably doing to anyone on certain meds. If it happens with my new pharmacy, I will tell them not to call me again and hang up, just like I do with telemarketers. I blame the corporation, not the pharmacist.
anonymousdiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #65
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseaster View Post
I am a 40ish woman, I have been filling prescriptions for 25ish years. I have filled prescriptions for myself, my kids, my spouse and both of my parents. Never have a received a phone call, nor has anyone in my family, received a phone call from a pharmacist inquiring as to the effectiveness of a medication.

It is not within the pharmacists scope of practice to evaluate the efficacy of a medication, nor is it within the pharmacists scope of practice to evaluate or inquire about a patient's progress with a psychological problem.

The call was inappropriate and I, too would have seen it as intrusive. I would report the pharmacist to corporate and I would change pharmacies.
I could not have said it better myself!!!

And for those that are saying the pharmacist is trying to determine if there are side-effects or if the med is working: that is what communication with your doc is for!!!! My husband had several bad side-effects from previous anti-d and anti-anxiety meds. Each time he started to have a side-effect, he immediately called his doctor to determine a course of action (most of the time it was "stop taking the med").

Point blank: it is not the pharmacists job to call the patient. If he has an issue, his phone call should be to the doc.

OP, I'm glad you're changing pharmacies and I hope you're ok with everything. We use Walgreens (used to be Happy Harry's in the DE/South Jersey area). We like them and they are efficient and friendly.

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
FigmentChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #66
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura66 View Post
You also say you've been going to him for a very long time!

I've been going to the same pharmacy for 20+ years and Ive known my pharmacist for the same amount of time. I have developed a great repoire with him and several of the techs! If I felt he was treating me in a rude manner I'd think a couple of things. Maybe he's having a particularly stressful day or maybe Im a bit defensive and not responding in a polite matter. It happens to all of us and no way would I see that as grounds for severing a long and otherwise professional and friendly relationship!
No, I've been going to this pharmacy for 15 years. I don't know him from Adam and had never seen him before last September. In fact, the week after I saw him for the first time is the first time I got a phone call. I have a relationship and good rapport with one of the female pharmacists there and she knows my name when she sees me, and she has never called me at home or asked me invasive questions. And you are right, it sucks to sever THAT relationship because that is unusual in a big chain. Oh well.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #67
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

You have several choices:
1) Say it is none of his business, and hang up.
2) Change pharmacies
3) Continue to accept his prying and just listen.

I would change pharmacies (and report him).

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #68
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Several posters - including those whose only connection with a pharmacist is the standard business relationship - have stated correctly that pharmacists' post-college education is entirely about drugs, interactions, etc. Physicians, not so much.

There was nothing "wrong", per se, with the new prescription so no reason not to let you take it home. You take it home, you (ideally) take it, and after a short time the pharmacist follows the chain's policy to check up on - apparently - certain long-term prescriptions. Given how uncomfortable some depression sufferers are with that diagnosis - see your own decision to create a new user name for this thread - it's possible the pharmacist chose not to specify they follow up only with certain drugs.

Most likely the computer kicked out a notice to call you (and other applicable customers) and he did. But there's NO way to tell in the store how you'll react, and your other meds interact, beforeyou start taking a drug.
The only problem with this theory is that the poster has been on this drug previously and she has been going to the same pharmacy for a long time. It is intrusive and if it were me i would have said goodbye and hung up the phone wihtout saying anything other than goodbye.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #69
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

I think it is a good sign that the pharmacy is checking in. You might be on a combination of scripts that send a red flag to the system. I think you are overreacting a bit. You are defensive about it, which I think most people would be if someone were questioning something like personal medications. I would feel the same way and not want to talk to him. If you don't want to talk to him, don't answer. Most people have caller id these days, no? Or just tell him "sorry she is not home" when he calls. If it is that troublesome then change pharmacies or complain to someone above him. I doubt he is calling you on his free time just because he is nosey. Somewhere he is getting a red flag or system notice to check on you. They are not trying to harass you.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #70
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

It's absolutely within his scope of practice...you really think he's going to endanger his license because he's nosy??!

"It doesn't matter how many links you post..." So....don't try to influence your opinion with facts?

Counsel patients. This involves more than informing about adverse reactions and interactions with other medications, food, alcohol and other beverages like grapefruit juice. Counseling includes training patients how and when to take doses, following up with patients to see if medications are working, sharing tips on how to minimize side effects while maximizing benefits and listening to all of a patient's concerns.

http://pharmacy.about.com/od/Operati...sibilities.htm
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #71
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
It's absolutely within his scope of practice...you really think he's going to endanger his license because he's nosy??!

"It doesn't matter how many links you post..." So....don't try to influence your opinion with facts?

Counsel patients. This involves more than informing about adverse reactions and interactions with other medications, food, alcohol and other beverages like grapefruit juice. Counseling includes training patients how and when to take doses, following up with patients to see if medications are working, sharing tips on how to minimize side effects while maximizing benefits and listening to all of a patient's concerns.

http://pharmacy.about.com/od/Operati...sibilities.htm

Sighing here. Whatever. When have I said his license was in danger? If you mean that I think he has endangered his license by calling me, that is ridiculous. I have already said I blame the CHAIN. If you mean that he would endanger his license by NOT calling me about my drugs, then his license has been endangered by every other prescription that my husband and I take, every month, that he has shown no interest in. Including the pain meds I was given for a surgery over a year ago. Never received a call about that. No one called to see how I was doing then, except MY DOCTOR.

You are not interested in personal privacy. Good for you. I am.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #72
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousdiser View Post
EXACTLY. I will call my DOCTOR if I need my medication adjusted because he and only he is privy to my medical history (not just my drug history) While your pharmacist s privy all the medications you take, both RX and OTC; and has a better idea than your doctor how frequently you actually take the meds; and potential drug interactionsand my problems and the reasons why he has chosen certain meds. Correct - and it doesn't sound like the pharmacist asked you about your problems or why the doctor chose those prescriptions I trust my pharmacist to answer my questions when I have them, as they have always done. They ask me every time, "Do you have questions for the pharmacist?" I say Yes or No. End of Story. So in the overall status of your health and health care, it's okay for you to have or not have questions for your health care providers (which includes your pharmacist) but it's not okay for them to ask you questions?

Let's say I was getting Valtrex and he called me at home to see how my herpes flare was doing? How cool would that be? Who here wants that call, I mean really wants that call from your pharmacist? He did not even ask me any information to verify who I was for sure (like my address) before he started talking.If you were taking Valtrex long-term, you'd have bigger problems than a follow-up call from a pharmacist.

They have lost my business.

Good for those who think this is ok. I am not one of them. Your arguments and links will not make me one of them. I appreciate your point of view but I am not changing mine.

After reading this thread, I do realize I was sensitive and made this personal. It's just an invasive corporate practice they are probably doing to anyone on certain meds. If it happens with my new pharmacy, I will tell them not to call me again and hang up, just like I do with telemarketers. I blame the corporation, not the pharmacist.

Maybe you owe the pharmacist an apology? While, yes, he was talking over you - you were refusing to listen to him. And possibly not so polite yourself? Since it's corporate policy, contact the company to register your distaste. Contact information would be on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousdiser
Sighing here. Whatever. When have I said his license was in danger?
Sighing back at ya. You seem to feel the follow-up phone call is outside the pharmacist's scope (of...? duty? ability? ?). Doing something outside his 'scope' could put his license in jeopardy. Hence, the implication.

Last edited by kaytieeldr; 05-26-2013 at 11:32 AM.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #73
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Maybe you owe the pharmacist an apology? While, yes, he was talking over you - you were refusing to listen to him. And possibly not so polite yourself? Since it's corporate policy, contact the company to register your distaste. Contact information would be on their website.
Kaytie, it is easy to make a joke about the Valtrex issue and dismiss how out of line a call like that would be; you are avoiding the issue.

I am not going to apologize to the pharmacist for not listening to him on an unsolicited phone call. That is laughable. As someone who is public-facing in their career I am expected to be polite to the people I work with because THAT IS MY JOB.

And you can argue all day long that you would not take offense to someone calling you and then talking over you while you answered his questions, I don't believe you for a minute. Sorry, I don't.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #74
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
I think it is a good sign that the pharmacy is checking in. You might be on a combination of scripts that send a red flag to the system. I think you are overreacting a bit. You are defensive about it, which I think most people would be if someone were questioning something like personal medications. I would feel the same way and not want to talk to him. If you don't want to talk to him, don't answer. Most people have caller id these days, no? Or just tell him "sorry she is not home" when he calls. If it is that troublesome then change pharmacies or complain to someone above him. I doubt he is calling you on his free time just because he is nosey. Somewhere he is getting a red flag or system notice to check on you. They are not trying to harass you.
I agree. I've had the pharmacy pick up on a conflict in my meds that they warned me of and then said they'd call the MD next. My MD then called and told me NOT to take this combination as he was unaware of the problem before the pharmacy called. Good thing the pharmacy caught it.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #75
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC-Don View Post
I agree. I've had the pharmacy pick up on a conflict in my meds that they warned me of and then said they'd call the MD next. My MD then called and told me NOT to take this combination as he was unaware of the problem before the pharmacy called. Good thing the pharmacy caught it.
I think anyone would appreciate them catching a conflict on their meds. That is a valuable service and what I expect from a pharmacist as they know all the interactions best. I would hope they would tell me not to take it before they sent me home with it too. Good job on that pharmacist!!

In this situation, I had taken this med before, from the same doctor, I had had it a week already, and he was not calling to warn me about interactions. He was calling to ask me how my new anti-depressant was 'working out for me'. Which a pharmacist should know is not enough time for me to know yet. And also, if it was not working out for me, I would never call or tell him. He can't change it for me. I would call my doctor, because he could.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: