Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #31
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

I just googled the name of the pharmacy plus the words 'invasion of privacy' and there were some interesting links as a result...mad patients and mad doctors. I am switching pharmacies because I don't think my pharmacist has the right to know anything about why I take a medicine or which one my doctor chooses or my diagnosis. They are free to check on 1) is my prescription legit/legal and 2) will it hurt me/interact with something else. They can discuss this with me when I am there.

I know many of you don't have a problem with this practice and I respect that. I guess it is a good thing there are so many choices out there. Thanks you guys, this has been a real eye-opener all around.

If anyone wants to send a prayer or two my way re: the issues that are worrying me I sure could use them.
anonymousdiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #32
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

I hope you do find a situation you are comfortable with, but there are some drugs the pharmacist is required to have a diagnosis code for before dispensing (or there were ten years ago when I was a pharmacy tech.)

(They would call the doctor for that though, not you.)
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #33
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

If you we're asked for your license, it is most likely based on new controls that certain meds are being put under. DH is prescribed Xanax and I always have to show a license to get it filled. I also had to fill Vicoden when I had a wisdom tooth pulled and I had to show a license for that. Just be prepared you will probably get that at most pharmacies.
If you feel that he was inappropriate, then you should escalate it.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #34
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Even if you change pharmacists, I think maybe mention this to your doctor. (S)he may have very specific guidelines for what is/isn't acceptable in this circumstance. It sounds like some of the medicines may need monitoring so it would be good to know what is and isn't ok in that process from the doctor who wrote the prescription.
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 19/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing 12. Secrets of the Tudor Court 13. Al Capp 14. The Witch Doctor's Wife 15. The Headhunter's Daughter 16. The Yard 17. The Dinner 18. The Magicians 19. The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion 20. The Golem and the Jinni

Currently reading: The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #35
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

There are physicians who are known by pharmacists to freely prescribe prescription medications that are frequently abused. Tha is one possibility for the call.

Another possibility is that the prescription is being refilled at intervals that re not consistent with how the scrip is written.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #36
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

I am going to talk to my doctor about this. If he calls again before I leave this pharmacy, I will tell him to call her directly from now on. I totally understand if they had questioned me about my anxiety medicine. That is abused, as another poster pointed out. But they have never asked me about that. However, they have called twice now about my anti-depressants, which are not controlled, which are $5 generic, and that is the issue I have. I also could understand better if he hadn't been such a butt-hat.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #37
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Tripss View Post
There are physicians who are known by pharmacists to freely prescribe prescription medications that are frequently abused. Tha is one possibility for the call.

Another possibility is that the prescription is being refilled at intervals that re not consistent with how the scrip is written.
I love your user name.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #38
mrsklamc

It's also possible that the pharmacist has a different drug or the drugs you have taken come in different forms that might be more effective for you.

Doctors get in the habit of prescribing just a couple of drugs for each symptom...There might be something else that the pharmacist is thinking will help you.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #39
Amelia Peabody
Used to be MsSocks with lots of posts!

I understand how you feel about people questioning your meds. I am taking an anti-depression med and an anti-anxiety as well - both for a prolonged period. The anti-anxiety med is the 24 hour kind. I used to use Ativan ( loved it - worked fast, wore off fast ). But this other kind builds up in my system and is supposed to keep me more even. It does say 3 times a day and I go back and forth between 2 times and 1.5 times. The only exception was when my mother passed away and I asked for approval for more. All this to say, there are different kinds of anti-anxiety meds.

Now your pharmacists behavior on the phone is another story. Leaving the content aside, his raising his voice and speaking over you? Grounds for you firing him. Should he question the use of the meds? Perhaps. We recently had the govt do a sweep of our area due to a doc who was selling pain meds etc via scripts. Now my doctors office gives me a hard time about refills if I haven't been to see him. HE doesn't have a problem with me, THEY are protecting him.

Maybe since they are a controlled substance there is some investigation going on and the pharmacy is being careful. No excuse to be calling you and being rude.

Good luck with what you are going through. And there is no shame in taking something to be able to handle it. You should be proud of yourself for recognizing that you needed some assistance. You are that much stronger for knowing yourself. No one else knows you like you do. Trust your instinct and when you feel you can't, talk to your doc and trust him for a bit. Then take up the reins again.

"Just anxiety"? I've heard that myself - them's fightin' words!
Amelia Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #40
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia Peabody View Post
I understand how you feel about people questioning your meds. I am taking an anti-depression med and an anti-anxiety as well - both for a prolonged period. The anti-anxiety med is the 24 hour kind. I used to use Ativan ( loved it - worked fast, wore off fast ). But this other kind builds up in my system and is supposed to keep me more even. It does say 3 times a day and I go back and forth between 2 times and 1.5 times. The only exception was when my mother passed away and I asked for approval for more. All this to say, there are different kinds of anti-anxiety meds.

Now your pharmacists behavior on the phone is another story. Leaving the content aside, his raising his voice and speaking over you? Grounds for you firing him. Should he question the use of the meds? Perhaps. We recently had the govt do a sweep of our area due to a doc who was selling pain meds etc via scripts. Now my doctors office gives me a hard time about refills if I haven't been to see him. HE doesn't have a problem with me, THEY are protecting him.

Maybe since they are a controlled substance there is some investigation going on and the pharmacy is being careful. No excuse to be calling you and being rude.

Good luck with what you are going through. And there is no shame in taking something to be able to handle it. You should be proud of yourself for recognizing that you needed some assistance. You are that much stronger for knowing yourself. No one else knows you like you do. Trust your instinct and when you feel you can't, talk to your doc and trust him for a bit. Then take up the reins again.

"Just anxiety"? I've heard that myself - them's fightin' words!
Are you a Barbara Michaels fan too?

Are anti-d's controlled substances? Because he did not ask about the anxiety medicine. What he asked about was my anti-depressant. He has never questioned the anxiety med (just checked my license and entered it in the computer).

Thanks for your encouraging words. I know it's an illness just like anything else. It's hard to be rational when you are in a dark place and anxious.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #41
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
It's also possible that the pharmacist has a different drug or the drugs you have taken come in different forms that might be more effective for you.

Doctors get in the habit of prescribing just a couple of drugs for each symptom...There might be something else that the pharmacist is thinking will help you.
Maybe so. He didn't say that though and I think it would be highly inappropriate if he did. He may know more about drugs but it is not his job to prescribe them. It sounds like you are more comfortable with your pharmacist being more involved in your healthcare. I am not. I don't think anyone would be comfortable with the way he conducted himself on the phone though.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #42
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

The role of the pharmacist is evolving and changing in the face of redesigned health care.

The Pharmacist Is In and Nudging You to Take Your Pills

Google Role of the Pharmacist for more information.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #43
Laura66
DIS Veteran

I'm not ready to crucify the doctor just yet! I can't believe people think he should be fired - anyone should be fired - over one persons word that they were abusive and rude!

The OP admits to being sensitive right now.

Doctors prescribe a lot of meds. And they sometimes prescribe them after being wined and dined by drug company reps or getting free samples, etc.

Pharmacists know what drugs interact with other drugs, what insurance companies will and won't cover, dosage, side effects - the list goes on on on. Sure there are pharmacists who abuse and sell drugs - lots of doctors do the same. People also shop for doctors who will readily prescribe painkillers and antidepressants.

Was your pharmacist rude? Maybe. I wasn't there. To me it sounds like he's on the ball and takes his job seriously and is looking out for his customers welfare. If you are on that many meds and changing doses often of course that would send out red flags. He could be looking for abuse, side effects, proper dosage etc. Hard to tell without hearing his side of the story!
Laura66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #44
Laura66
DIS Veteran

I wanted to add - my neighbor is a pharmacist - and a damn good and caring one. You would not believe the stories.
Doctors prescribing wrong drugs and fatal dosages that he catches! Doctors prescribing drugs they know nothing about - you name it!
You would also not believe the abuse he gets from customers. Mad at him because he can't fill rx's the insurance company won't cover. A lot of patients have no idea what they are being prescribed and why so he does have to ask questions and explain things! Poor guy can't win!
Laura66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #45
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousdiser View Post
Maybe so. He didn't say that though and I think it would be highly inappropriate if he did. He may know more about drugs but it is not his job to prescribe them. It sounds like you are more comfortable with your pharmacist being more involved in your healthcare. I am not.
It IS his job to help your doctor to find a more appropriate medication if the ones you are taking aren't working for you, which seems to be the case.

It seems like you think he should check your meds, make sure there are no interactions, and blindly hand them to you. He has more of a professional responsibility than that, whether you like it or not.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: