Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydelly View Post
You mentioned that you have anxiety issues too, which means you are probably prescribed benzos, which are highly addictive and attractive to drug seekers/addicts.
Ahhhhh. I don't know what a benzo is but I do know the med I get (lowest dosage possible, only from my psyciatrist) can be addictive. Why on earth doesn't he just ask me about THAT instead of the anti-d's?? THAT I get.
anonymousdiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
Pooh Girl 71
Good looking, half naked men and choreagraphed violence....what's not to love?
Biting back is the only thing that I have ever seen work
the presidents must all be facing forward

I agree about the rudeness!! Could you speak to the pharmacy manager?

And to anyone taking any depression and anxiety medications, do NOT feel ashamed or embarrassed about it. There are lots of drugs that are actually meant for one thing and then doctors find out it helps with other stuff. Example: Tegratol was meant for epilepsy and they found out it works for bi-polar disorder.
Pooh Girl 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
Pooh Girl 71
Good looking, half naked men and choreagraphed violence....what's not to love?
Biting back is the only thing that I have ever seen work
the presidents must all be facing forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousdiser View Post
Ahhhhh. I don't know what a benzo is but I do know the med I get (lowest dosage possible, only from my psyciatrist) can be addictive. Why on earth doesn't he just ask me about THAT instead of the anti-d's?? THAT I get.
Oh yes, benzos are a whole world of their own. Examples are Xanax, Ativan, Valium.
Pooh Girl 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #19
DipsyDoodles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
PoohGirl, that is a good pharmacist and totally understandable when dealing with a pain med + Lexapro. If I were getting these drugs from different psychiatrists I would agree that this situation is like the one you are describing. But it's the same doctor and the question wasn't about interactions with my other stuff and I have been on both these meds before, for many months, each.

Yes, it is possible I am overreacting! But not to the rudeness, OMG.
You are NOT overreacting. It doesn't sound like the pharmacist was concerned with drug interactions or allergies which is what he should be looking out for. It also doesn't sound like you would be flagged for drug abuse of these medications. Switch pharmacies and report him for being rude to you.
DipsyDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh Girl 71 View Post
Oh yes, benzos are a whole world of their own. Examples are Xanax, Ativan, Valium.
Now I have anxiety about my anxiety medicine. Seriously though, this is really humiliating. There are many days where I don't even take that med (which he should know if he checked how often it is refilled) I still don't know why he doesn't just ask me about THAT prescription or ask my doctor. PoohGirl, thanks for all your replies. I appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #21
ariel71
For all my luck, the Google car would drive by right then, and when I want to sell my house next year, all people would see is a yard full of flamingos when they Google the address.

I wouldn't necessarily be thrilled about being called at home, but my pharmacists obviously know all of my prescription history and asking me about them wouldn't really upset me. I do think by using words like "invasive", "interrogation", and "harrass" that you're likely too sensitive right now. We don't know what trigger generated the call, but I wouldn't take it to mean that just because your husband didn't get a call or you didn't get one about a different med means that you're being "singled out".

I would say to let it go, but if it really upsets you that much, why not discuss it with him when you're in a calmer mood? You could say something like - "As you can see, I've been on ADs for a while, and I can be sensitive about that, as I'm sure many of your patients are. Can you explain the process that initiates these call-backs? I would just like a better understanding of what these calls are meant to do."

Of course, all of that is assuming there's no ulterior motive and it's for pharmacological purposes like other posters have mentioned.

Otherwise, hugs. I've been right there with you.
ariel71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #22
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

There is no excuse for being rude and if he has unusual questions he should explain why he needs to know ....But... In regard to "it's almost like he thinks he knows better than my doctor..." When it comes to medication, he probably does. MDs get shockingly little training on drugs. Pharmacist is years of school about drugs (Doctor of Pharmacy.)
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #23
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Thanks, Ariel. I really am not rational right now. If it had been one of the other people there that I have a 'relationship' with, it might not have set me off. Or if he hadn't been so rude.

To explain why I may sound a little crazy on this thread, I have been in a caretaking situation for a long time. I am exhausted and it's hard because this situation is not going to end in a positive manner (trying to be vague so I am not ID'd on here). I would be willing to do this forever despite the exhaustion but I can't, I can't help this situation no matter what I do and so I am very sad.I am also deeply worried about the health of another family member.

So I am very emotional right now, and not proud that I need help to begin with as I used to always be the 'strong one'. His phone call made me feel embarassed and ashamed. I guess that's on me.

Thanks to everyone for listening, even those who disagree.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #24
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
There is no excuse for being rude and if he has unusual questions he should explain why he needs to know ....But... In regard to "it's almost like he thinks he knows better than my doctor..." When it comes to medication, he probably does. MDs get shockingly little training on drugs. Pharmacist is years of school about drugs (Doctor of Pharmacy.)
Very true, good point.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #25
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post
And I agree about the stigma attached. Some people never take me seriously and don't count either as a proper illness. I have been told many times "I 'just' have anxiety".

Hope this gets better for you soon. If it continues, moving to a new pharmacy could be better!

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I am very sorry you have experienced this too. It just makes the load a little heavier!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #26
disneyfreakk
I sing Spongebob to my dogs

Quote:
Now I have anxiety about my anxiety medicine. Seriously though, this is really humiliating. There are many days where I don't even take that med (which he should know if he checked how often it is refilled) I still don't know why he doesn't just ask me about THAT prescription or ask my doctor. PoohGirl, thanks for all your replies. I appreciate it.
I bet that is the red flag! Are you supposed to take that med everyday?
Old 05-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #27
anonymousdiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreakk View Post
I bet that is the red flag! Are you supposed to take that med everyday?
The anxiety med (aka benzo) the label says take two a day. I take as needed, sometimes that is two a day but sometimes one and some days I don't take it at all. I don't think it is a good idea to take it twice a day if I feel like I can handle the anxiety on my own power, because I know it is addictive or you can build a tolerance. But, maybe you are right! Why doesn't he just ask about that med then and not my depression med!!! Thanks DisneyFreakk, that is an interesting idea.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #28
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I can't understand why a pharmacist would think its okay to phone a patient regarding med changes after you pick them up.

If this person had any concerns they should have been addressed when the medication was being dispensed. And all this happened with you as an anxiety sufferer? Geesh. If I were you I would tell the business owner if it's a family owned operation.

There are plenty of other places that would be happy for your business.

The pharmacist probably had his reasons, but I think there were some boundaries crossed. They should have spoken with your doctor or the governing agency if they had any abnormal concerns.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #29
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runsandjumps View Post
I can't understand why a pharmacist would think its okay to phone a patient regarding med changes after you pick them up.

If this person had any concerns they should have been addressed when the medication was being dispensed. And all this happened with you as an anxiety sufferer? Geesh. If I were you I would tell the business owner if it's a family owned operation.

There are plenty of other places that would be happy for your business.

The pharmacist probably had his reasons, but I think there were some boundaries crossed. They should have spoken with your doctor or the governing agency if they had any abnormal concerns.
The rudeness is wrong, but they may have been the pharmacy manager reviewing something another pharmacist filled; and there's no reason for a pharmacist not to speak to the patient directly, I don't know why anyone would think there would be.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #30
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

Hey, there!

We have major experience with this in our family since my husband is on anti-anxiety/depression meds and my son is on meds for ADHD (the one's that are controlled substances....so fun).

My husband has changed meds A LOT. His one med has been stable since 2008. It's Xanex and it does have a street value; so if I pick it up, I have to provide my drivers license. I can't think of a time when he's gotten a follow-up phone call from the pharmacist and he did just start Lexapro...and no phone call, no consultation. Maybe your pharmacist is just taking his job seriously. Which is good. Also, he may be the head pharmacist, which explains why he would call and no other pharmacists from the same location.

I hope this helps and that your anxiety over the calls lessen. Also, if I were in your shoes, I probably would go further up the food chain: either to corporate or a store manager. Let them know that the phone calls make you feel uncomfortable and ratchet up your anxiety; make sure to explain that all your meds are vetted through your doctor and you're not comfortable with the pharmacist second-guessing him/her.

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
FigmentChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: