Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #16
Keli
We're smarter than the average bear!
I would scrap everyday if I could
What do you think? You were raised in a barn?

I'm guessing if you and your family can handle the heat/humidity/crowds of Disney World they can handle the heat/humidity/crowds of Gettysburg. I'd lower expectations if I thought it was going to be a stress free vacation but I'd still go. I can handle most obstacles to a good vacation if I plan for them and go into it knowing they are there. I bet you guys can too.

1981-The early years. 2011-The not-so-early years
Keli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #17
Buckeye Princess
DIS Veteran

I grew up in Harrisburg and we used to go to Gettysburg as kids several times a year. In fact we begged to go. I would suggest allowing for plenty of time for your kids to explore areas like devil's den, big and little roundtop, and the trails. They will probably find all of the monuments less interesting than the more natural features of the area. We used to love to climb and explore. It truly is not frowned upon. Once a guide we were with says that it made him happy to see children frolicking because it meant they would have a good experience and memory and more likely to reflect positively on the more serious aspects as they got older.

Another favorite way to see the area is biking.
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #18
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaB View Post
Ya know what? Screw it. We just won't go. Doesn't sound like any kind of fun at all.
Wow, where did this come from??? I mean, if you are truly a Civil War buff, this place is pure heaven

Yes, it will be hot, it's July. Yes, it will be busy, sounds like you were planning on being there one of the busiest times of the year.

Gettysburg really isn't that big of a town. Pre-planning is kind of important when you visit here around the 4th of July and it being the 150th anniversary.

We had a great visit there yesterday.

More canons than you can shake a stick at.

Gettysburg 2013 001-HDR by sharod1031, on Flickr

People throughout the park dressed in character with more info than one person can possibly digest.

Gettysburg 2013 048 by sharod1031, on Flickr

And they have a sense of humor too!

Gettysburg 2013 053_edited-1 by sharod1031, on Flickr

Horseback riding through the battlefield if you so desire.

Gettysburg 2013 042_edited-1 by sharod1031, on Flickr

People love climbing the rocks at Devil's Den. It's bigger than it looks. This pic was taken from up on Little Round Top.

Gettysburg 2013 062 by sharod1031, on Flickr

Lots of different memorials.

Gettysburg 2013 100-HDR by sharod1031, on Flickr

Even though not a reenactment, reenactors are set up in the park. Full garb, tents, shooting demos, etc. This pic was taken a couple years ago. But they were there yesterday too.

selective color edit by sharod1031, on Flickr

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #19
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ya know what? Screw it. We just won't go. Doesn't sound like any kind of fun at all.
Wow. I can't tell if you're serious or being sarcastic towards people who tried to help you (as you requested) in seeing things that should be taken into consideration.
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo

We went for a school field trip a couple of weeks ago. It is absolutely beautiful there! We had a step on tour guide on our bus that was AMAZING!!!!!!!! He had an immense amount of knowledge and catered the tour around where we are from. The North Carolina memorial is STUNNING!!! The same guy that did Mt. Rushmore did it, and the detail is spot on. We did the ghost tour and that was really cool too! I can't wait for 2 more years when my son is in 5th grade and I get to go again. It was awesome!

Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
bunkkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #21
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

I'm not much of a history buff, but I thought Gettysburg was fascinating. If you go during the summer you get a realistic idea of the weather the troops had to endure, in wool uniforms and no air conditioning. The certified guides really know their stuff and will give you a personalized tour in the comfort of your own car,
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #22
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i love going to Gettysburg!!!
one of my favorite battlefields.

i'm a member of the Chicago Civil War Round Table.
we do tours each spring to different battlesites.

if you need more in depth information about gettysburg that you can't find on the internet, google the Civil War Round Table of Gettysburg.

you will get a lot of details and information from them.

Gettysburg is the battlefield our club will be doing next year.
can't wait!!!

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #23
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow! What happened? Was just going to say that my dh could stay there a week - he loves to bike around the area. We camped, so no idea about hotels there, just remember it was very hot! If you are a history buff - you would really enjoy it!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #24
RebeccaB
DIS Veteran

Sorry guys was just having a moment the other day. I know it's bound to be hot, and bound to be crowded. I think we're prepared for both. (Although if it's like our weather, today was in the 70's sunny and windy, tomorrow 50's and rain, the next day low 90's...who can keep track).
I've discovered that both re-enactment troops from Maine are going to be there doing a reenactment the weekend of the 28-29, sounds like a smaller one and it's only 6 miles from the battlefield. So, I believe we are going to head down then...try to catch that reenactment then tour the battlefield and town and then go from there. We don't mind staying out of town, in fact, we prefer it. Whenever we go to DC, we stay in Va, about 30 mins from the city. This way it seems the hotel is less crowded and all that. Our schedule is wide open, as I work for the school district and the hub is self employed. I am however hoping to catch some fireworks around the 4th.

Thanks for all the input and help!

RebeccaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: