Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydeux View Post
We are doing this on the Fantasy on July 20th. Eight participants will each bring 12 beers. Still trying to figure out where we should get together and exchange the beers. Would love suggestions. Thinking the second day (sea day) prior to 1st seating - maybe around 4.

Cheers!
You would probably want to do it the first day. By the second day, you are so involved in your own thing that you'll more than likely forget about it...

Coordinate with the group doing FE and meet.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Has anyone done this yet? I'm trying to set one up for our cruise in September. I figured we could just do the exchange at the meet up on the first day. Is it ok to just put the beer out on a table and have the exchange there (i.e. in Vista Cafe)? Does this violate any of DCL's rules? I don't want to get in trouble or get DCL rethinking their policy about allowing alcohol on board. So far we only have 4 people interested I'm hoping some more will come around!
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean - October 2014
Fantasy Western Caribbean - September 2013
Wonder Alaskan - September 2012
Magic Bahamian - May 2012
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
disneydeux
Can Once in a Lifetime Happen Twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22 View Post
Has anyone done this yet? I'm trying to set one up for our cruise in September. I figured we could just do the exchange at the meet up on the first day. Is it ok to just put the beer out on a table and have the exchange there (i.e. in Vista Cafe)? Does this violate any of DCL's rules? I don't want to get in trouble or get DCL rethinking their policy about allowing alcohol on board. So far we only have 4 people interested I'm hoping some more will come around!
I will let you know on July 28th. We are planning on meeting on the 1st sea day at the Cove Cafe. If they don't want us to pull out the beers, we will figure out another situation.
disneydeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will let you know on July 28th. We are planning on meeting on the 1st sea day at the Cove Cafe. If they don't want us to pull out the beers, we will figure out another situation.
Great! I'm going to hold you to this!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

As long as you don't put the beers in your FE (see: other thread from today), you should be fine :X

In all seriousness, this is a VERY fun idea. Will have to keep it mind for our next cruise! Please keep us posted and let us know how it turns out!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #21
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Great! I'm going to hold you to this!
I am anxious to hear this as well. We sail in August and are planning on doing this.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #22
Thewilsons03
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Hi!! What cruise date in September? We are the 12 and I'd love to participate!
Thewilsons03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #23
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewilsons03 View Post
Hi!! What cruise date in September? We are the 12 and I'd love to participate!
We're on the Fantasy on the 14th. So far we've only got my husband, my dad, and 2 others. I figure anywhere from 6-12 people is perfect. If we could get 6 people, then if everyone brought 2 different 6-packs, there could still be 12 different beers for everyone. Sorry you're not on our cruise!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #24
dawn8179
Mouseketeer

You would actually need 7 people if you did not want to keep any of the beer you brought. If only 6 people everybody would be keeping 2 of theirs and have 10 beers from the others.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #25
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn8179 View Post
You would actually need 7 people if you did not want to keep any of the beer you brought. If only 6 people everybody would be keeping 2 of theirs and have 10 beers from the others.
I was assuming we'd keep one of each that we brought. Mostly my husband was less than impressed with the beer selection on the ship and he loved the idea of variety.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #26
disneydeux

Update

Transport of Beer

We were flying so had to look into options for checking beer. Found a beer shipping box and ordered two - the shipping of the boxes cost more than the actual boxes. It looked secure enough but we also added some bubble wrap & a large plastic bag around the Styrofoam. I threw it around a bit with the beer & it seemed sound. Marked it up fragile (Must be Italian).

Our choice of beer was Boulevard Pale Ale produced by a local Kansas City company. It is one of their signature beers and very tasty.

Location of Beer Exchange

We initially scheduled the Exchange for 2:00 pm on our first sea day (2nd day of the trip) at the Cove Cafe which is located on the adult deck near the adult pool. It is a coffee shop/bar. There was talk that they might not appreciate us with our beer not bought on the ship. We thought maybe a room but that might not be too comfortable and apparently nobody was staying in the Walt Disney suite.

I emailed the lady (Alma) from DCL who helped us set up our private mixology and asked for a room for 15 people for a "gift exchange." She offered us the Outlook located on the top deck of the ship, near the Edge. So that works.

The room itself was fine. If I had gotten there earlier, I would have arranged the chairs to open it up a bit. It was a very business meeting like set up. But what a fun great room.

Exchange Itself

We started by setting up the beers on different tables. Everyone introduced themselves and their beers. There was quite a variety - Wisconsin, Florida, NJ, KS & MO. Then we walked around the room and picked up the beers and filled up our beer containers.

People opened a few & we shared. I had coasters made for the event and each family got one. It lasted about an hour and it was nice b/c now we knew some more people - all who loved beer!

Cleaned up the room a bit and we took off.

Going to post some pics as soon as they load to my dropbox.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #27
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Transport of Beer

We were flying so had to look into options for checking beer. Found a beer shipping box and ordered two - the shipping of the boxes cost more than the actual boxes. It looked secure enough but we also added some bubble wrap & a large plastic bag around the Styrofoam. I threw it around a bit with the beer & it seemed sound. Marked it up fragile (Must be Italian).

Our choice of beer was Boulevard Pale Ale produced by a local Kansas City company. It is one of their signature beers and very tasty.

Location of Beer Exchange

We initially scheduled the Exchange for 2:00 pm on our first sea day (2nd day of the trip) at the Cove Cafe which is located on the adult deck near the adult pool. It is a coffee shop/bar. There was talk that they might not appreciate us with our beer not bought on the ship. We thought maybe a room but that might not be too comfortable and apparently nobody was staying in the Walt Disney suite.

I emailed the lady (Alma) from DCL who helped us set up our private mixology and asked for a room for 15 people for a "gift exchange." She offered us the Outlook located on the top deck of the ship, near the Edge. So that works.

The room itself was fine. If I had gotten there earlier, I would have arranged the chairs to open it up a bit. It was a very business meeting like set up. But what a fun great room.

Exchange Itself

We started by setting up the beers on different tables. Everyone introduced themselves and their beers. There was quite a variety - Wisconsin, Florida, NJ, KS & MO. Then we walked around the room and picked up the beers and filled up our beer containers.

People opened a few & we shared. I had coasters made for the event and each family got one. It lasted about an hour and it was nice b/c now we knew some more people - all who loved beer!

Cleaned up the room a bit and we took off.

Going to post some pics as soon as they load to my dropbox.
Thanks for sharing!!
Did you put the beer in your checked bag on the airline?

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #28
disneydeux

Pics of Beer Exchange

We checked our beer in the specialized box.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #29
mommy2twingles
Mouseketeer

sounds like you had a great time. Was there any charge for the room that you used? Trying to set up one of these for our November cruise

mommy2twingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #30
disneydeux

Charge for the room?

No charge for the room. I have heard you can get the D Lounge at no charge as well for a Dis Meet & Greet.

Cheers!

ag

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: