Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Observations from my first Disney cruise

I got off the Dream a few days ago and was expecting it to be so-so because I'm not a fan of cruises but wanted to try Disney. It exceeded my expectations. I'm kicking myself that I didn't rebook onboard but I am very cautious with spending and didn't want to feel pressured. Some observations:

-- Surprised at the numbers of non-Americans on board. I think Americans were the minority on the ship!

--Funnel vision made the pool deck come alive. I love funnel vision!!

--Could feel the heat of jealousy of Carnival and Royal Caribbean as they floated by. C'mon tell me you didn't feel it.

-- Castaway Cay is worth the high price of the cruise. It is perfect, perfect island. The fish swim right up to the shoreline and they are so friendly. All the kids in the water were chasing the poor fish trying to catch them.

--- Pirate night surprise: If you don't want to dress like a pirate, Disney will make sure you do! No one escapes pirate night.

--- Shockingly, the Sail Away Party was awesome!! This actually made me enjoy the cruise. Its like being in a club with a DJ pumping music. I thought it was going to be lame but it wasn't.

---Nassau. Such a wonderful place. Don't know why people stay on the boat to enjoy Aqua duck. I loved Nassau! I'm like crime? What crime?

--Aqua Duck - Went only at peak times and waited 20 minutes each time. Rode it 3 times with my daughter.

--- The Golden Mickeys: thought it was going to lame. I LOVED IT especially since Hunchback sang my favorite song. Villans Tonight was hilarious. Funny show...funny more for parents than kids.

Now I have a dilemma. I want to try another cruise line for variety but loved Disney so much that I'm stuck. Time will tell. My daughter wants to go back too. Still not ruling out Carnival or RC though!!

Edited to add: I used Dreams Unlimited to book. They are the best!! By using them and using my Disney Visa to pay for it I got $325 on board credit for my 4 night cruise. Plus they sent a nice gift basket to the room. Just amazing!
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
wdwwishes
DIS Veteran

Do a 7 night on board the Fantasy and then see if you want to go to another line
A.K.L. 2008, 2011
Poly 2009
Wilderness Lodge 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The Wonder 2007, 2009, 2011
The Fantasy 2013
The Dream 2014
The Magic 2015
wdwwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
elongatedm
Earning My Ears

Glad you had a great time. Last year my wife and i did the Fantasy and this year we did Alaska aboard the Wonder. I will say that I never felt pressured when I booked onboard. We already have a third cruise lined up for next year on the Magic. As for going on a different cruise line, we had the opportunity to go on a 5 night cruise with Royal Caribbean through my work and boy it was not even close to Disney Cruise. The cleanliness of the Disney Cruise alone and the food was light years ahead. I guess we are biased since we love Disney so much but some of the other folks on that cruise were not loving it either.
elongatedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

The Golden Mickey's is my favorite show onboard...I know some say they do not like it but I don't know why...it has so many beautiful, exciting, stirring, campy, romantic scenes in it. Cruella is awesome in it!!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
jahber
DIS Veteran

We just aren't show people. Well, my husband is, but he's fine going alone. But even without the shows, I find DCL to be a fantastic experience! Plus, my kids practically have the pool to themselves while everyone else is at a show or dinner. Win/win!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

We had the same experience you describe, except we knew we would love it but it still blew us away.

I've been that Carnival dreamily watching the DCL beauties. Thank goodness I ended up on one a month later!

I didn't get to rebook on board either as much as I wanted to..thankfully 3 months later we got our castaway 10% voucher. We didn't get half deposit like on board booking but we did a lil better with our rewards card. (Only spent $44 towards deposit since everything else was reward dollars) and tho we aren't getting the on board booking obc, we still have 9 months to make more rewards help bring some savings towards our on board credit.

I really wanted a 7 day but we booked a 4 so our BIL would come (did 7 day CCL in 07 and didn't care for it) so we booked a new Magic 4 day and plan a few Disney world days next spring.

Yay for GMs, it was our favorite show! And my honey is not into shows or Disney music as much as I am but his ADD self was thoroughly entertained and tells everyone how good the shows are!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
disneydeux
Can Once in a Lifetime Happen Twice?

I heart Funnelvision.

Just got off 7 days on the Fantasy & the last night was the ONLY night we did not watch a movie and swim.
disneydeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Mel2421
Mouseketeer

Went on first cruise ever Dec. 2012 on the Disney Magic and fell in love with cruising. Sailed on Royal in June 2013 on The Radiance southbound in Alaska. I thought the food and service were much better on Disney. Just booked the Wonder for Dec. 2013 it will be my first visit yo Castaway Cay cannot wait. Just me and my sister going without kiddos, we will have a blast.
AS Sports/Movies Sept 2008
Pop June 2010
Disney Magic Dec. 2012
Disney Wonder Dec. 2013
Pop Aug 2014
Mel2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

So glad to read what you loved and your perceptions of the Dream.

Narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
Keira1387
Married at Disney August 2, 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwwishes View Post
Do a 7 night on board the Fantasy and then see if you want to go to another line
This!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan View Post
I got off the Dream a few days ago and was expecting it to be so-so because I'm not a fan of cruises but wanted to try Disney. It exceeded my expectations. I'm kicking myself that I didn't rebook onboard but I am very cautious with spending and didn't want to feel pressured. Some observations:

-- Surprised at the numbers of non-Americans on board. I think Americans were the minority on the ship!

--Funnel vision made the pool deck come alive. I love funnel vision!!

--Could feel the heat of jealousy of Carnival and Royal Caribbean as they floated by. C'mon tell me you didn't feel it.

-- Castaway Cay is worth the high price of the cruise. It is perfect, perfect island. The fish swim right up to the shoreline and they are so friendly. All the kids in the water were chasing the poor fish trying to catch them.

--- Pirate night surprise: If you don't want to dress like a pirate, Disney will make sure you do! No one escapes pirate night.

--- Shockingly, the Sail Away Party was awesome!! This actually made me enjoy the cruise. Its like being in a club with a DJ pumping music. I thought it was going to be lame but it wasn't.

---Nassau. Such a wonderful place. Don't know why people stay on the boat to enjoy Aqua duck. I loved Nassau! I'm like crime? What crime?
--Aqua Duck - Went only at peak times and waited 20 minutes each time. Rode it 3 times with my daughter.

--- The Golden Mickeys: thought it was going to lame. I LOVED IT especially since Hunchback sang my favorite song. Villans Tonight was hilarious. Funny show...funny more for parents than kids.

Now I have a dilemma. I want to try another cruise line for variety but loved Disney so much that I'm stuck. Time will tell. My daughter wants to go back too. Still not ruling out Carnival or RC though!!

Edited to add: I used Dreams Unlimited to book. They are the best!! By using them and using my Disney Visa to pay for it I got $325 on board credit for my 4 night cruise. Plus they sent a nice gift basket to the room. Just amazing!
bolding is mine...

I know!!! I have to chuckle when I read about this on other threads!! I'm thinking I guess they haven't taken their kids to places like Baltimore City!! I feel much safer in Nassau than I do in Baltimore City!! Or somewhere like D.C. unless you stay in the immediate area of the tourist attractions. I guess to each his/her own. But they haven't seen crime and dirt if they think Nassau is 'bad'!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
bolding is mine...

I know!!! I have to chuckle when I read about this on other threads!! I'm thinking I guess they haven't taken their kids to places like Baltimore City!! I feel much safer in Nassau than I do in Baltimore City!! Or somewhere like D.C. unless you stay in the immediate area of the tourist attractions. I guess to each his/her own. But they haven't seen crime and dirt if they think Nassau is 'bad'!
I've been in Baltimore City and some sketchy areas of Philadelphia so maybe Nassau won't be as bad as I thought. We were thinking of just getting off in port and strolling around but wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
PoohJen
Willing to share a Mickey Bar?
I brought it with me everywhere on my Disney cruise
Quick, get to the hammock!- Castaway Cay

Great review! I'm glad you were pleasantly surprised!

I am one who always stays onboard at Nassau, especially because those 3/4 day cruises are so short, I like to enjoy the ship a little more. What did you do in Nassau that you would recommend to a ship-stayer like me?

Re: feeling pressured about rebooking onboard - for future sailors, remember that the deposit is 100% refundable - go ahead and rebook!

Finally, re: your loving DCL dilemma...be careful! I was in your shoes and am now taking my family on our SEVENTH Disney cruise next month!!!
MNSSHP '04, '05, '06 MVMCP '07 and a few All Star quickies DCL Magic Nov '04 Eastern Trip Report Magic Wstrn Dbl Dip Aug '06 Trip Report, Wonder Dec '07 Trip Report Magic Dble Dip Aug '09 Trip Report Wonder Feb '10 DCL Dream July '11, Aug '13
PoohJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
starousse
DIS Veteran

Great review. I'm in the process of trying to pick a cruise and am torn between the Dream 4 night and Fantasy. Did you feel that the 4 night cruise was too short for you? Would've you like to stay on longer?
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Playing devil's advocate for RC, simply because in the summer, RC is all my family can afford. DCL will always be my first choice, but the premium for school break cruises does not fit into the average family's budget for the Caribbean. I did Alaska on the Wonder this year for less than the same category on the Fantasy next summer for the same time. I have a dummy date booked to move for the Fantasy in 2015, but that will just be for immediate family with time to save. Our extended family want to cruise next summer, and RC is thousands less for the same itinerary in a comperable room. We've done RC before on the Mariner of the Seas and really enjoyed ourselves. I'm still glad I have a DCL booked but I have no problems being on RC.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: