Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
mrsp1030
DIS Veteran

Cruising with 18 month old

We've taken our older son on a cruise when he was pre walking stage and it was super easy. We are considering a 4 night on the "new" magic and were looking for advice and reviews of those that have taken a toddler onboard. We have two older DS: 7,5 also along and we've never been shy of traveling with our family. Just wondering if we should wait until he is 3-4 but worried the older two will not love disney at 10/8.
mrsp1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Disneybridewifemama
Mouseketeer

My dd's first cruise was at 18 months old and it was the best family vacation ever. Given, she was a super easy traveling baby but it was a lot of fun. It wasn't a disney cruise, but I'd imagine it would have been even easier with the Disney entertainment!
Disneybridewifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
CdnDisLover
Earning My Ears

We just got off the Magic with our 17 month old who is a great traveler and didn't complain (unless we dropped her off at the nursery...lol) and I don't recommend a Disney cruise until they're older as there's nothing for kids aged 1-3 to do. There's the splash pad but it's pathetic, small and boring (our local neighborhood splash pads are 10 times better) and there's no kids play room for kids that are too young for the clubs. Our daughter got very bored. It would be great if DCL would add a play room for the younger kids
CdnDisLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
FloridaNative8
Mouseketeer

We took our 16 month old on the Fantasy in March, and had a blast! We did utilize the nursery during sea days at nap time, and there was plenty to keep him busy during all the other times. He'll never remember it, but we wouldn't trade that vacation for anything! He's a pretty chill kid, so that definitely was a factor in our enjoyment!

WDW - Too many visits to count!
AOA - Jan 2013 CBR - Nov 2013 POR - Jan 2014 POP - Feb 2014 YC - Jan 2015
Disney Fantasy - EC, March 2013
W&D Half - 2010, 2013
Donald Half - 2013
Minnie 10K - 2014
WDW Marathon - 2014
Glass Slipper Challenge - 2014
Goofy Challenge - 2015
FloridaNative8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
CdnDisLover
Earning My Ears

@Jenn What kept him busy all the time? Besides the characters, which she loved, I saw nothing else on the boat that would entertain my daughter. We brought toys from home but since it was a European trip we were limited on the amounts so they became old quickly on a 12 day cruise. She liked the toys in the nursery but only if we weren't leaving her there...lol
CdnDisLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Sleeping_Princess
"Sword of truth fly swift and sure, let evil die and good endure"

We cruised last year with our 18 month and have another one booked for this December when she will be 2.5.. We loved it.. Yes, there were difficult moments - but there are difficult moments when we aren't on vacation..

Best advice I can give is just relax and enjoy.. I was so worried about everything being perfect that our first evening onboard was not great (had to wake daughter up from nap to make sure we got to our dinner reservation, not a smart idea.) Once I learned to go with the flow - the rest of the 3 days were awesome!

12/2004 All Star Music (our first Disney Trip together!)
12/2007 Engaged
12/2008 Grand Floridian (DFTW)Wedding Pavilion/Whitehall & Patio/Ballroom 1-4

12/2008 Disneyland California (Disneymoon)
12/2009 First Disney Cruise - 3 Day on the Wonder
06/2011 Daughter Born
12/2012 Disney Cruise with Daughter - 4 Day on the Dream
12/2013 Disney Cruise (5 Year Anniversary Land and Sea) 4 Day on the Dream

Walt Disney World Annual Passholder Since 2008

Sleeping_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
mrsp1030
DIS Veteran

I think the new splash area on the Magic will be much better as compared to old one. The one on the wonder was boring but I've heard the ones on the Fantasy and Dream are much better. We've traveled all over with our kids and not sure if there is a vacation that is easier than others with little ones anymore.
mrsp1030 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: