Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #31
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
This has all moved so quickly from the details in your post. I didn't even know you could get DNA results done and back that quickly. You must be talking to the mother during all of this since you have had a DNA test and he is already going to stay with you. What is she saying to you and your husband? Why now? Why did she have the son show up at your door?
Have the DNA results been reported? I didn't catch that. I thought it was pending. I thought the OP and her husband were just going to have the boy over for the night, but that didn't have anything to do with the DNA test. I could be wrong though.

Like you stated, I always read it takes a long time to get DNA results.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #32
tmarquez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think you can be responsible for back child support especially if the government has been picking up the tab. Might depend on location.
They can try but the "laches" defense will most likely take care of it. Get a DNA test no matter what!
tmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #33
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
Have the DNA results been reported? I didn't catch that. I thought it was pending. I thought the OP and her husband were just going to have the boy over for the night, but that didn't have anything to do with the DNA test. I could be wrong though.

Like you stated, I always read it takes a long time to get DNA results.
You are right. I read it as they knew he was the father so they were having the boy over but the post doesn't actually say that.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #34
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

It's a tough position to be in all the way around.

Can you imagine how much courage it took for the boy to sit on the steps of a stranger's house and then have to say something that is such a gaping hole in a young person's life?

Then the OP had to have grace to receive it and empathy for the boy all while processing what it means to her marriage and the changes to come.

It make me tear up to think about it.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #35
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

Original OP here!
DNA test has been done no results yet, but he looks just like my DH. (There are some other genetic things that make me and my DH believe it is true)

I am not sure why the son or his mother have contacted us now other than I think the son is way to much to handle for the mom.
The mom and son have been in contact with DH mother for about 8 months, an alcoholic who my DH speaks to only a couple times a year.

As for child support that seems to be a very gray area, on paying retroactively when you have no knowledge.

The son has lived all over the place, looks like 5 different schools in the last 8 years and now is living in a housing project. My DH and I went the house to speak with the sons mother is was awful.

As for the son sleeping at our house tonight, the kid asked and DH said yes....
2001 - Disney Cruise (Eastern)
2003 - Disney Cruise (Western)
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Trish.Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #36
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

I don't have any experience with this, however, if this happened to me, after the initial shock and bewilderment (!) I'm almost certain I would be thrilled, especially if this is my husband's only child.

In fact, just thinking about it makes me feel happy and excited! I really love children, though. I would think for someone who wasn't used to kids or didn't want kids, etc, there would be a whole different set of emotions going on.

Good luck! I'm interested in hearing how this turns out.

Oh, and to your dh, congratulations!

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #37
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish.Glenn View Post
Last week I can home to a boy sitting on my front step. Hello can I help you? Yes I am looking for *********, sure he is my husband and at work can I help you? Well, the boy paused he is my dad. Holy holy crap!!!!! I quickly asked how old he was and quickly figured out the math, as when had my husband bedded this woman. It was before we met, right before but before. My poor hubby was blindsided and devastated. I have one child from my first marriage but we were unable to have our own. We have had foster kids but no biological children.

This child is in real trouble and his home situation is awful. The child's mother is not in a good place and has 4 other children. I am not even sure why I am writing this but my entire world is turned upside down. My husband's 13 year old son is coming to our house for the night tomorrow and I am nervous. Just confused and sad, sad for myself, my husband and the boy.

Has anyone had experiences with the juvinal court system, DSS or a chins order. I am not even sure what a chins order is.... I read about it online and I am still not sure. Lol you think life to going along fairly well and poof!
Quote:
Yes I am in mass and we have had a DNA test. That was the first thing we did. He is just staying the night tomorrow, 1 night. My husband Is not listed in the birth certificate but we go to court in a couple weeks. He does have a chins order on him but I do not know how or where it came from. DYS ( sorry I called it DSS) is involved but I don't know why yet. Oh and we got a lawyer....
Quote:
Government assistance NOT on her own at all. We did speak to a lawyer but it is what it is.
Quote:
Thanks but not for a few years. It got so hard when the kids left, really hard when they would go back to bad circumstances.
Quote:
Original OP here!
DNA test has been done no results yet, but he looks just like my DH. (There are some other genetic things that make me and my DH believe it is true)

I am not sure why the son or his mother have contacted us now other than I think the son is way to much to handle for the mom.
The mom and son have been in contact with DH mother for about 8 months, an alcoholic who my DH speaks to only a couple times a year.

As for child support that seems to be a very gray area, on paying retroactively when you have no knowledge.

The son has lived all over the place, looks like 5 different schools in the last 8 years and now is living in a housing project. My DH and I went the house to speak with the sons mother is was awful.

As for the son sleeping at our house tonight, the kid asked and DH said yes....
Very confused.

You have been a foster parent, working in they system, within the past 13 years (kid was conceived before you were together, so you and your husband have only been together for less than 13 years), yet you have no idea how the system works or even the correct name. And from what you have posted, this was not a one time foster experience, since you said you had to quit because it was getting too hard to send the kids back. Every experienced foster parent I know, knows the system better than the social workers.

You were able to make an appointment and get a DNA test on a MINOR without getting the DFS involved (and you knew they are involved in his life). Within a week of meeting this child. And again, the most important: WITHOUT getting permission from DFS or the courts.

Story is being added to as people question it. Mother has now been talking to alcoholic grandmother for 8 months, yet never told the dad.

Sorry, but after the Leukemia mom and the pregnant mom running to Canada, I am quite suspicious of crazy stories that don't add up.

Hard to believe all of this has gone down in just a week. However, OP, if it is true, I apologize and wish you good luck. Glad you are accepting the child.

Last edited by Hrhpd; 05-25-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #38
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

You have a another stepson, correct? Have you told him about this?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #39
TeresaNJ

Knows the tricks to get the Tag Fairies' attention! Likes all pretty colors Gets teary when she hears Garth sing "The Dance"

So sorry for the stress and ordeal of what you and your husband are going through. Hopefully this is a blessing in disguise.

This happened to DH & I almost two years ago, finding out that he had a daughter. My DH & I had been married 11 years at the time, second marriages for both of us. I have three children from a previous marriage, all adults now, he had no children with his first wife.

I was on FB and noticed I had a message from someone whose name I didn't recognize. She asked if I knew ......... From her profile picture she appeared a young adult. I was like, "and, why do you want to know?" Of course, all kinds of crazy things are going through my mind. She says, "I think he is my father"! Yikes! Then she goes on to say she is over 18, she doesn't want anything, she just wants to know where she came from. She tells me to ask DH if the name ........ means anything to him. Well, as soon as she said the name, I knew she was probably his daughter, as DH was stationed in Korea in the Army, and had dated this women during that time, and he had told me about her during our getting to know each other conversations.

I go out and ask him if he remembers ......, and he has a blank look on his face. I said, does the name Heather mean anything to you (daughter's name), and he says no, the only Heather he knew was ex-wife's cousin. I then proceed to tell him I think he has a daughter. He turned white as a ghost and was in complete disbelief.

She told me all about her likes and dislikes, and it was eerie how similar she is to DH. She is also built just like him. Anyway, we found out her mom had gotten pregnant right before DH was sent back to the US, and she never let him know. I have no idea why. Apparently when Heather was about to graduate from HS a few months prior, and enlist in the Air Force, her mom was looking at her graduation picture, and thinking about how much she looked like her father, my DH, and broke down and told her.

So, after the initial shock of finding out, DH called his daughter, they had a nice phone conversation, and the mom asked if she could call DH. She has since been married a few times and has four other children, and is still married to the father of the youngest three. She never told DH why she didn't tell him about Heather, and DH has never asked. He felt it wasn't important at the time. I will never understand how men's minds work!

Anyway, he met Heather a few months later, after she was home on leave, as she lives a few states away. According to DH they had a great lunch, and spent several hours talking. DH brought pictures of his family to show her. Heather's mom sent DH tons of photos of Heather growing up, via email.

You would think this has a great ending, but after a year or so had gone by, with DH sending Heather texts weekly, and calling her occasionally, Heather has basically stopped communicating with DH. It pisses me off, as well as breaks my heart.

She was medically discharged from the Air Force due to migraines and fibromyalgia, and has decided to stay in North Dakota since she met her significant other a year ago. I guess all she really wanted to know is where she came from. I'm hoping it's just immaturity, as she is only 21 now, but I know it hurts DH.

I hope everything turns out wonderful for you, OP!
TeresaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #40
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You have a another stepson, correct? Have you told him about this?
As of April, she had a 14 year old step-son.

Quote:
Can't wait to read this!! I have a 14 year old step son and I want to take him to Disney. His father an I love WDW but he has never been. I am looking go teenage boy tips!!!
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #41
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd

As of April, she had a 14 year old step-son.
My ex husbands son my daughters half sibling, I call him my stepson and we do lots if things together. My daughter is an only child and I have tried to incorporate him into our travel.
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Old 05-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #42
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish.Glenn

My ex husbands son my daughters half sibling, I call him my stepson and we do lots if things together. My daughter is an only child and I have tried to incorporate him into our travel.
My ex husband is gay and goes on vacation and such with us as extended family...a large complicated family...lol! Never put it all out on the DIS as sometimes people are very harsh.
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Old 05-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #43
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd

Very confused.

You have been a foster parent, working in they system, within the past 13 years (kid was conceived before you were together, so you and your husband have only been together for less than 13 years), yet you have no idea how the system works or even the correct name. And from what you have posted, this was not a one time foster experience, since you said you had to quit because it was getting too hard to send the kids back. Every experienced foster parent I know, knows the system better than the social workers.

You were able to make an appointment and get a DNA test on a MINOR without getting the DFS involved (and you knew they are involved in his life). Within a week of meeting this child. And again, the most important: WITHOUT getting permission from DFS or the courts.

Story is being added to as people question it. Mother has now been talking to alcoholic grandmother for 8 months, yet never told the dad.

Sorry, but after the Leukemia mom and the pregnant mom running to Canada, I am quite suspicious of crazy stories that don't add up.

Hard to believe all of this has gone down in just a week. However, OP, if it is true, I apologize and wish you good luck. Glad you are accepting the child.
My first husband and I were foster parents, he lovd it and I found it very hard. It was over 20 years ago and I have not been involved since.

My first husband and I got a divorce as he is gay and he then hd a son whom I call my stepson with a surrogate. I call him my step son as I am the only female in his life and why should I go around explaining our family structure to anyone. He is my daughters only sibling and we try to keep our family structure together for both of them

My 2nd husband does not speak to his mother often and yes the "baby momma" has been speaking to her for 8 months. I don't understand why that is suspicious.

DCF did arrange for the DNA test, but I did not go. My husband went and I was just looking to hash some feelings out here.

I did not realize that I was being suspicious I do not know anything about the Canada lady and only wanted a little support. Not trying to start a problem
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #44
Robbi
DIS Veteran

OP, thank-you for being understanding. This poor child sounds like he needs love and acceptance.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #45
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

Well I was all worked up all night and started this thread(kinda regretting it now) and he is NOT coming over. Not sure if he does not want to or what really happened but he cancelled. Thanks for the well wishes and I hope everyone ha a good holiday weekend.
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: