Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #46
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by that is just wrong View Post
You have 2 endocrinologists?

If there's no improvement after stopping gluten, dairy and soy, could it be because you actually don't have alleriges to them?
Mistyped....one endocrinologist. Meant to put rheumatologist.

And when I say no improvement, I mean no improvement from anything besides allergic reactions. I was pointing out that what people thik of as a typical diet for helping many diseases (eliminating the 3 big ones...gluten, dairy and soy) has not worked for me.

I am allergic to them. Confirmed by skin testing, lab tests, oral challenges and/or known reactions. Same things as my allergies to peanut, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, oats, coconut, sesame, sunflower seeds, honey, ginger, bananas, cherries, and broccoli. I also have eosinophilic gastroenteritis which complicates the allergy issues a bit.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #47
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I'm just casting a broad net here. My sister has been experiencing chronic, daily, excruciating pain in pretty much all of her joints. She's young (just turned 30) and in good health otherwise. It's been many months now and she is really suffering. She's been to a lot of doctors (GP, Neurologist, Endocrinologist, Rheumatologist etc) and undergone a lot of tests, but so far they've turned up nothing. She's been tested for Lyme's, MS, and a bunch of others that escape me at the moment. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?? I feel so helpless for her. She's got another round of doctor's appointments today...more tests. She's hoping they'll order an MRI. She's worried she's going to wind up with the DX of Fibromyalgia...the catchall.

The only other thing I was able to suggest to her was seeing an Allergist and that maybe she was allergic to something (wheat? gluten??).
I can really sympathize with your sister, but trust me, Fibromyalgia *is not* a catch all. I started having severe unexplained pains at 36 after a very difficult pregnancy/delivery.

If her pain is in the joints, it's definitely NOT Fibro, because it's in the muscles. Usually some type of arthritis is in the joints themselves. I was diagnosed finally after about 10 years, and it's a daily terrible disease and even with exercise, which is the best (but hardest to do) thing you can do for it, there is still constant pain. The 'good' news is, 'it's not fatal' I endure, and hide it well, and most people, except for family and close friends, are not aware I have it.

Determination goes a long way in dealing with it (if this is her problem) and just not 'giving in'. My best of wishes for her.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #48
AddictedtoDoleWhip
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post

Mistyped....one endocrinologist. Meant to put rheumatologist.

And when I say no improvement, I mean no improvement from anything besides allergic reactions. I was pointing out that what people thik of as a typical diet for helping many diseases (eliminating the 3 big ones...gluten, dairy and soy) has not worked for me.

I am allergic to them. Confirmed by skin testing, lab tests, oral challenges and/or known reactions. Same things as my allergies to peanut, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, oats, coconut, sesame, sunflower seeds, honey, ginger, bananas, cherries, and broccoli. I also have eosinophilic gastroenteritis which complicates the allergy issues a bit.
Is there a reason why you have to post endlessly about your allergies and the doctors you supposedly have to see? I can't help but think you are exaggerating and or making up your issues to one up people.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #49
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoDoleWhip View Post
Is there a reason why you have to post endlessly about your allergies and the doctors you supposedly have to see? I can't help but think you are exaggerating and or making up your issues to one up people.
Your the one questioning it. I posted it originally because a PPs daughter has similar symptoms to me and I thought that maybe I was seeing a doctor that they had not seen yet to help with a diagnosis.

So sorry if you think I'm exaggerating. I WISH I was exaggerating but no....that's my life and what I deal with on a regular basis. So I appreciate the concern but you have absolutely no idea what I have been and what I'm going through.

I'm out of this thread. Continue to question if you would like but I hope you NEVER have to deal with what I deal with.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #50
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
This is a medical thread. Perhaps she was hoping that by sharing her experiences (which is what I asked for in the OP) she could help.

What helpful thoughts would you like to contribute to my search for help for my sister?
Old 05-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #51
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
Your the one questioning it. I posted it originally because a PPs daughter has similar symptoms to me and I thought that maybe I was seeing a doctor that they had not seen yet to help with a diagnosis.

So sorry if you think I'm exaggerating. I WISH I was exaggerating but no....that's my life and what I deal with on a regular basis. So I appreciate the concern but you have absolutely no idea what I have been and what I'm going through.

I'm out of this thread. Continue to question if you would like but I hope you NEVER have to deal with what I deal with.
Don't you worry about them. I appreciate you sharing.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #52
AddictedtoDoleWhip
Mouseketeer

Quote:

This is a medical thread. Perhaps she was hoping that by sharing her experiences (which is what I asked for in the OP) she could help.

What helpful thoughts would you like to contribute to my search for help for my sister?
Yes it's a medical thread but honestly half the things she says I feel like are a lie.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #53
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Does she take any meds regularly? That is one side effect that I have encountered.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #54
ongomom2
Earning My Ears

Hurt all over

Your sister should really ask her Rhuematologist to check for Sjogren's Syndrome, RA and Lupus. It takes at least 2 to 8 months, with blood test every 2 months, to compare and rule out auto-immune diseases. I was finally diagnosed a year ago after suffering for at least 10 years. My other doctors would tell me that they couldn't find anything wrong or that my x-rays didn't show anything.

1973-Offsite, 1990- Offsite, 1998-Offsite, 2002-Offisite, 2006-Pop Century, 2008- Pop Century, 2010- Pop Century
ongomom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #55
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Yes it's a medical thread but honestly half the things she says I feel like are a lie.
So what? Add something constructive to the discourse or keep quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom47 View Post
Does she take any meds regularly? That is one side effect that I have encountered.
Not sure. I'll mention that to her. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongomom2 View Post
Your sister should really ask her Rhuematologist to check for Sjogren's Syndrome, RA and Lupus. It takes at least 2 to 8 months, with blood test every 2 months, to compare and rule out auto-immune diseases. I was finally diagnosed a year ago after suffering for at least 10 years. My other doctors would tell me that they couldn't find anything wrong or that my x-rays didn't show anything.
One of my clients was just diagnosed with Sjogren's. She's quite relieved to have a diagnosis for it. I think it was one of the possibilities my sister's doctors are looking into. I'd never even heard of it until my client mentioned it and now I seem to be hearing about it everywhere!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #56
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:

One of my clients was just diagnosed with Sjogren's. She's quite relieved to have a diagnosis for it. I think it was one of the possibilities my sister's doctors are looking into. I'd never even heard of it until my client mentioned it and now I seem to be hearing about it everywhere!
This is one that my DD was diagnosed with (positive for the antibodies) and then later Undiagnosed with (different doctor said first tests were simply wrong). Similar symptoms to Hashimoto's but much more eye dryness, skin dryness, etc. DD has all of that, but when her thyroid levels are good, her symptoms mostly go away.

There are SO many autoimmune diseases and incidents are increasing at an alarming rate. There aren't enough doctors around that treat autoimmune (not just Rheumatologists - it depends on what area of the body the disease affects).

Best of luck to your sister. I hope she gets an accurate diagnosis quickly.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #57
LiveYourLife
I am the one who knocks...

Quote:
So what? Add something constructive to the discourse or keep quiet.!
Jennasis, that was just as harsh as the poster you quoted! I added something constructive to the discourse, so I guess I have full permission to share my thoughts now, per you, no?

I concur that the particular poster that Dole Whip is referencing seems to be a bit questionable with the truths surrounding their health issues. Do I think that the Poster has health issues? Yes. To the extent and mystery of what they say? No. I questioned it upthread as well. I think what raises a red flag for me, is that while this poster will contribute relatable information to a medical topic, it does come across as one-upping most of the time. There is a name for this type of Internet behavior.

I do feel that the Dole Whip addict ripped the proverbial band-aid off with his/her posts on this thread, but I can see where he/she is coming from.

Anyway, as I mentioned previously, I hope your Sister finds out what is going on with her health, and that she feels better soon.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #58
paintnolish
You'd think a sniff in the general vicinity would be sufficient
I mean, how much more can a dead guy do?!?
I'm meh about "meh."

One of the problems with these kinds of illnesses is that people often look just fine on the outside. Knock on wood, I've never had a serious health problem, rarely get sick save for a cold, etc. I look totally fine on the outside but have the weird pains. The rf factor shows that there is inflammation somewhere in my body, but we don't know why yet.
Anything can turn into a debate on the Dis!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post34722197
DH Me DS (13) DD (12) Baby DS (1)
paintnolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #59
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintnolish View Post
One of the problems with these kinds of illnesses is that people often look just fine on the outside. Knock on wood, I've never had a serious health problem, rarely get sick save for a cold, etc. I look totally fine on the outside but have the weird pains. The rf factor shows that there is inflammation somewhere in my body, but we don't know why yet.
Anything can turn into a debate on the Dis!
There isn't any debate. I'm happy to hear any and all possibilities (regardless if the person suggesting them actually has the condition or is making it up). My sister looks just fine on the outside too. I think what this thread is confirming is that whatever she's got, she's got a long row to hoe before figuring out what it is. It sucks to be so far away from her while she's going through this. Makes me feel helpless, ya know?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #60
Aimeedyan
Why get all excited about something as silly as a fake celebrity? Or getting a tag?
Jello is not meant to be chunky

For what it's worth, Crohns disease also causes joint pain. It's another auto immune disease to add to the list Seems to be common for auto immune diseases to show up in joints. That was actually my first symptom!

Good luck to your sister - the diagnosis process is so frustrating. I hope answers are found soon
1982 & 1990 ~ trips as a child ~1997 ~ Caribbean Beach ~ 2002 ~ Vacation Home ~ 2003 ~ Stayed with Family ~ 2004 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~2006 ~ Pop Century & Disney's Vero Beach ~ 2007 ~ Wilderness Lodge & Yacht Club ~ 2008 ~ Carnival Cruise & All Star Music ~ 2009 ~ All Star Sports & Downtown Hotel ~ 2009 ~ All Star Music, Comfort Inn & Boardwalk Villas
Aimeedyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: