Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #1396
Cinderumbrella
Wench

I just want to jump on the South Depot bus lines (or lack thereof).

We experienced it a few times in the AM, but only for folks going to MK. That seemed to be about the only park that would ever get a "line" per se (and yes, it would occasionally snake down into the other waiting areas). We only ever noticed this happening in the AM (usually around 8:30am until maybe 9:30 or 9:45 am, aka peak time to head to the park).

To avoid this, I really would recommend using whichever outer Depot is closest to your room if you are going to MK in the AM. There never seemed to be big crowds at those depots.

We NEVER saw this for any other park or for any other time of the day.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #1397
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
I just want to jump on the South Depot bus lines (or lack thereof).

We experienced it a few times in the AM, but only for folks going to MK. That seemed to be about the only park that would ever get a "line" per se (and yes, it would occasionally snake down into the other waiting areas). We only ever noticed this happening in the AM (usually around 8:30am until maybe 9:30 or 9:45 am, aka peak time to head to the park).

To avoid this, I really would recommend using whichever outer Depot is closest to your room if you are going to MK in the AM. There never seemed to be big crowds at those depots.

We NEVER saw this for any other park or for any other time of the day.
We were there the third week in June and also noted that the POR buses for MK were the most crowded at park closing as well. There were tons of people for the bus at POR and only a handful for POFQ. We opted to do that bus and then walk back to Magnolia Terrace. We got up to the South Depot heading towards our building and the first group was just driving up to the depot.

I am glad we did.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #1398
uktivo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby1 View Post
I'm no expert, but your requests seem good to me! None of the preferred buildings are all that far from the main building or pool. The preferred buildings also do not have elevators, so no worry about noise from that. I'm not positive what you mean by not wanting somewhere not too dark, but Disney is very safety conscious and I have never been anywhere on property that I didn't feel was safely lit at night.

HTH!
Thanks for the feedback.. the "too dark" reference was for the room itself.
We have stayed at the CBR a few years back and found the room quite dark inside.. then again, we stayed at the Movies resort last year and found that room to be great...

I think it's the luck of the draw.. I was just trying to pin lady luck a little more on my side...
Old 07-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #1399
JinxedSydney
Lurker Extraordinare

I just want to say that I'm actually happy to miss the dates for Free Dining! That means less people when I stay!

I actually eyeballed my suitcases and wondered if it was too early to pack.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #1400
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uktivo View Post
So, here's my question.

I have booked a preferred room at the POR for May next year. I have requested a ground floor, courtyard view.
Questions:
1. Is this a good choice?
2. Could I be a little more precise and perhaps name building numbers? Any input which is the best?

Here are my criteria for a good room.
1. Location close to food hall and pool
2. A quite location away from lifts etc.
3. Somewhere where it’s not too dark

Any inputs would be most welcome.. I do need to confirm my booking this evening.

Thanks
You don't want to use precise building numbers because the room assigner won't know why you want that area, so it will be overlooked most likely.

You always want to list your requests in order of importance to you, since you have multiple requests. Also don't worry about being somewhere being "too dark". I have walked around the complexes at 2 or 3 am and it is always well lit no matter where you go. Disney is extremely safety conscious.

You don't have to worry about being in a quiet area away from elevators in AB; there are none. It is all stairs, so you may want to be away from stairs, but it is going to be hard since they are located in the courtyard view areas. I suggest you decide what is more important to you.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #1401
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.. the "too dark" reference was for the room itself.
We have stayed at the CBR a few years back and found the room quite dark inside.. then again, we stayed at the Movies resort last year and found that room to be great...

I think it's the luck of the draw.. I was just trying to pin lady luck a little more on my side...
Were you referring to the refurbed rooms at POR. I thought the royal rooms were a bit too dark and My fiance didn't like that they did away with the ceiling fan either.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #1402
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Hi.. Was hoping I could get a quick reply as I need to confirm my booking to Disney tonight pre 8pm UK time.

So, here's my question.

I have booked a preferred room at the POR for May next year. I have requested a ground floor, courtyard view.
Questions:
1. Is this a good choice?
2. Could I be a little more precise and perhaps name building numbers? Any input which is the best?

Here are my criteria for a good room.
1. Location close to food hall and pool
2. A quite location away from lifts etc.
3. Somewhere where its not too dark
(copied from other thread you posted in)

Preferred room should be a pretty similar price to Pool View (varies slightly next year, but not by too much).

All four preferred buildings are nice and close to the main building, in the Alligator Bayou section (the buildings shown in blue in the map in the first post). All of the interior décor is the same in the preferred section rooms - see www.portorleans.org/alligator-bayou.php for details and a panoramic image. There are no lifts in that section, so no worries there. I should request a "quiet area with a pleasant garden view" and that should cover your needs (i.e. avoid a parking lot view). Oh, and the upper floor would more likely be a bit quieter and maybe lighter (assuming you don't have any mobility issues of course). Asking for an outside-facing corner room is a way to get an extra window too, and hence more light.

You can confirm your booking tonight anyway, and worry about any requests later once you've had more time to think about it, as they don't really matter until a few days before you arrive.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 07-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #1403
ChristineOH
Mouseketeer

A different perspective on the bus situation:

We used the North Depot the week of Memorial Day, which had pretty high crowds. We left anywhere from an hour to a half hour before RD, and we NEVER had any of the mob situations others described at the South Depot. One day we had a full bus pass us for Epcot. The next Epcot bus was nearly full and didn't fit everyone. The next Epcot bus came about 30 seconds later and was empty. That day we waited 20 minutes for the bus. Every other time was five minutes or less. The buses always had room for everyone except that one time.

I only stood once, though I often put my 6yo on my lap to allow others to sit, and my husband gave up his seat about half the time.

We also used the POFQ trick leaving MK one evening. It was great!

I was pleasantly surprised at how well Disney transportation worked for us.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #1404
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineOH View Post

We also used the POFQ trick leaving MK one evening. It was great!

I was pleasantly surprised at how well Disney transportation worked for us.
We don't usually take the bus since we have our car, but just in case, what is the POFQ trick?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #1405
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
We don't usually take the bus since we have our car, but just in case, what is the POFQ trick?
If their line is significantly shorter, then take that bus and walk back to your POR room. We did it one night from MK as well and it seemed well worth it to us.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 07-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #1406
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
You take the MK bus back to POFQ and then walk on the trail from POFQ over to POR and then to your room.

You can also pick up the loop bus at the South depot if it is not too late for the internal buses to be running.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #1407
Sandyt05
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
We just stayed in a GV RR in June. Check out my pictures of our room view a few pages back! http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1126 It might change your mind
Do you happen to remember what room number this is?
Old 07-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #1408
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyt05 View Post

Do you happen to remember what room number this is?
Oak Manor - room 9266
Fabulous room!!!
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 07-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #1409
Sandyt05
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
Oak Manor - room 9266
Fabulous room!!!
Thank you writing this down now! We are requesting a Royal Guest room at Oak Manor. Love your location. We will be going May 2014.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #1410
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyt05 View Post
Thank you writing this down now! We are requesting a Royal Guest room at Oak Manor. Love your location. We will be going May 2014.
We loved it too! The view walking out each morning was so beautiful and at night with the colors in the fountain The nightly movies were in the courtyard right outside the room and we loved having the river view out the side window. It was a garden view room and the requests we made were top floor and close to the footbridge (and then I also requested a deep clean because I have allergies.)
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: