Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #1336
Alice515
Mouseketeer

Help, to request a fridge or not?? We will be there 9/2 - 9/8, no medical necessity and not keeping meals in room. We've been six times before but never had in room refrigerator and made do with little ice bucket plus refillable mugs. The only reason I was looking forward to the fridge was to store milk for my coffee and extra drinks considering free dining plan and having the mugs. Since we will get drinks with our meals (breakfast mostly) but have the mugs.. Planned to store them for cold in room drinks after parks. My dilemma is I do not want to request one and get it, then a family needing it for food (in room meals) not get one. I'd feel awful. My girls (9&12), DH and I are physically capable of walking our butts to the food court to get our mugs filled at night. So, my question is: should I even bother calling in a request for an in room refrigerator?? Thanks all!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #1337
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice515 View Post
Help, to request a fridge or not??
Just put in a request for a fridge "if available", also mentioning that it is not for any medical reasons if you wish. What have you got to lose? At POR I think you'll probably stand a good chance anyway, especially by September.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #1338
Alice515
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post

Just put in a request for a fridge "if available", also mentioning that it is not for any medical reasons if you wish. What have you got to lose? At POR I think you'll probably stand a good chance anyway, especially by September.

Andre
Thanks Andre! I think I will take your advice, it sounds like a very reasonable plan. Plus, as you mentioned it may not even be necessary by September.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #1339
Hoosier Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
It most likely will stop by Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, and then hit the Port Orleans Resorts.
Thank you!!
Old 07-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #1340
Patience
DIS Veteran

I'm sure this had been asked before but I can't find it. I have some room requests noted on my reservation ( close to main building, upper floor). If I do online check in, should I just leave the room request section blank? I am planning to send a fax about 5 days before we leave.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #1341
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
If I do online check in, should I just leave the room request section blank? I am planning to send a fax about 5 days before we leave.
Although it should be fine, the general consensus is to leave that section of online checkin blank if you have already made some requests on your original booking. Your fax will supersede it later anyway though, so don't worry too much.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 07-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #1342
bigmac5
DIS Veteran

I know I read this somewhere but at the time i read it I wasn't ready.

Is there any advantage to not doing online check-in. and we still do the fax about 5 days before. We are at day 51 and just paid off in full. When do I expect Micky mail and what all will be included?

could someone please answer or give me a link and I am sorry because I know it has been said before.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #1343
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

Do faxes still work? I thought they phased that out.
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #1344
Patience
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post

Although it should be fine, the general consensus is to leave that section of online checkin blank if you have already made some requests on your original booking. Your fax will supersede it later anyway though, so don't worry too much.

Andre
Thank you, Andre. I'm not one hundred percent sure that I'm going to do online check in but it's nice to know how to do it. We have never been to POR before so I may want to do traditional check in.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #1345
jewelsb
Mouseketeer

So we returned from our first visit to POR a few weeks ago and we absolutely LOVED it. Everything was so beautiful, the photos really do not do it justice. Every cast member was pleasant and helpful. The food court could be pretty crazy at times, but we found the food to be good. Never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus and usually less than that. We requested AB, but were given a room in Acadian house and turns out, we loved it. It was a second floor, river view and a perfect location! Everything was just a couple minute walk. The kids loved the pool and all the activites, of course!

Sadly, three days into our 9 day trip, my father in law passed away and we needed to make arrangements to come home. The kids were crushed and it was a really difficult time. I spoke to a girl at the concierge desk and she was so nice and so helpful and did everything she could to try to make things ok for us. I wish so bad that I had gotten her name, because I really want to let someone know how wonderful she was. Unfortunately, I was so shook up over everything, that I just completely forgot! For some reason I think it was Annie, but how could I even find out?!? Disney was also really great about everything. While we were in the airport waiting to board our flight, guest services called my cell and let us know that they refunded us our unused resort nights and gave us vouchers for our unused park days. Had it not been for that, there would be no hope of us being able to take the kids back anytime in the next few years to give them the trip we had worked so hard to afford in the first place.

We are already saving in hopes of being able to go back next summer and get our "Do-over" first Disney trip. We will definitely be going back to POR. There is just something so relaxing and peaceful about the resort. Coming back to POR after a crazy day at the parks is like a vacation from your vacation! Thanks to Andre and Venom for all the info on this board. It was so helpful with our planning and I'll stay tuned til we go again next year!! (I hope!)

Port Orleans Riverside 6/13

Old 07-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #1346
Dani C
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry for your loss. *hugs* I hope everything goes well and you make it back next year.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #1347
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne74 View Post
Do faxes still work? I thought they phased that out.
Yes we still do accept faxes.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #1348
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsb View Post
So we returned from our first visit to POR a few weeks ago and we absolutely LOVED it. Everything was so beautiful, the photos really do not do it justice. Every cast member was pleasant and helpful. The food court could be pretty crazy at times, but we found the food to be good. Never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus and usually less than that. We requested AB, but were given a room in Acadian house and turns out, we loved it. It was a second floor, river view and a perfect location! Everything was just a couple minute walk. The kids loved the pool and all the activites, of course!

Sadly, three days into our 9 day trip, my father in law passed away and we needed to make arrangements to come home. The kids were crushed and it was a really difficult time. I spoke to a girl at the concierge desk and she was so nice and so helpful and did everything she could to try to make things ok for us. I wish so bad that I had gotten her name, because I really want to let someone know how wonderful she was. Unfortunately, I was so shook up over everything, that I just completely forgot! For some reason I think it was Annie, but how could I even find out?!? Disney was also really great about everything. While we were in the airport waiting to board our flight, guest services called my cell and let us know that they refunded us our unused resort nights and gave us vouchers for our unused park days. Had it not been for that, there would be no hope of us being able to take the kids back anytime in the next few years to give them the trip we had worked so hard to afford in the first place.

We are already saving in hopes of being able to go back next summer and get our "Do-over" first Disney trip. We will definitely be going back to POR. There is just something so relaxing and peaceful about the resort. Coming back to POR after a crazy day at the parks is like a vacation from your vacation! Thanks to Andre and Venom for all the info on this board. It was so helpful with our planning and I'll stay tuned til we go again next year!! (I hope!)
I am so sorry for your family's loss. I was once in your shoes. We planned for 2 years a southern Caribbean cruise and we just touched down into San Juan when I received a phone call that my mom suddenly passed away. It was gut wrenching. Not only had to tell the kids the horrible news but we had to fly back home first thing in the AM. I am sure it was so hard for your kids and I am glad to hear Disney worked their magic during a difficult time.

I would still write an email explaining how wonderful the concierge was. I am sure describing her and giving the date/time, they could track her down. Wishing you lots of healing.
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #1349
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsb View Post

I am so sorry for your loss.

I know you have many other things on your mind, but when you get the time, you should send an email to Disney, letting them know of the CMs wonderful service. If you can include the date and approximate time, that she was working the Concierge desk, and even that her name might have been Annie - they might be able to figure out who this helpful CM is!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #1350
Hoosier Mom
DIS Veteran

By any chance, does anyone know if the POR gift shop sells loaves of bread? Coronado did not, but Wilderness Lodge gift shop did. Last time we made a special trip over to Wilderness Lodge to pick up a loaf.

We take Jif PB for our son and buy a loaf of bread each trip. He's a picky eater and sometimes pulling out a Jif to go, and a couple slices of bread comes in really handy. And I see from that the food court has toasters so we could even make PB toast for him for breakfast.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: