Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #1216
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Just wanted to share, in hopes of helping others planning their trips!

I stayed at POR twice over the past few weeks - two nights in an Alligator Bayou room and three nights in a Magnolia Bend room. Both were terrific! My son and I agreed that the refurbs in both rooms were awesome and we really couldn't pick one over the other as a favorite, despite how different they were.

For our AB stay, we were in building 34 (booked a std view at AP rate). Technically speaking, we had a parking lot view, but it's so wooded, what we really saw out our windows were trees. We had an odd room - the entire bathroom was doored off from the rest of the room, with toilet, vanities and tub all together. It had a low counter and rails around the toilet, as if it were HA... but the tub had no rails. No pull-out bed and we had an armoir with low hang bars instead of the usual rod next to the vanity area. And the room was on the 2nd floor of a building with no elevator. It worked great for the two of us; just odd. The walk to Ol' Man Island wasn't bad at all, room was clean, and grounds gorgeous, albeit buggy... bring the bug spray if you have insect bite allergies! I was bitten by mosquitoes and a yellow fly while walking to the bus stop.

Our MB stay was in the Magnolia Terrace building (again, std view at an AP rate.) Totally different furnishings, but just as clean and pretty! I always request rooms on the top floor and got a 3rd floor room here. The 3rd floor is just a small number of rooms that don't extend all the way around the building, so finding a good stair system was interesting: no stairs go all the way up. We had our pick of several different stairs to the second floor, had to walk a bit more, then had two options of stairs to get to the 3rd floor. Strange, but manageable. Also, an elevator in the middle of the building, which we used when toting luggage. 'Ol Man Island and food was easily accessible, as was the quiet pool next-door.

Things that really delighted me about both locations:

~ Ample parking.

~ Low noise from outside and other rooms. Not even the infamous Disney sonic flush from the room next door! (It was inhabited and they HAD to have flushed at some point, right?!)

~ Great lighting at the dining table, over beds, in vanity and bathrooms.

~ Lots of shade on public walkways.

We've long made CBR and CSR our go-to resorts, but POR just joined them. It'll be whichever is cheapest from now on, with POR likely taking top place if the price is the same for all.

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 07-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #1217
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I have to say one of the pluses of POR and POFQ over CBR (never stayed at CSR) is the fact that once you walk across the parking lot, and get under the corridor above in the building, you are walking in the shade to your room.
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #1218
ssatterly
DIS Veteran

Which section is your fav at POR?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #1219
disneydan11
Earning My Ears

After much debate, discussion and going back and forth we are officially booked for our POR vacation!
Aug 11-16th with two kiddos, DD5 and DS7 with the following ADRS:
Sun dinner: Sanaa - figured the kids would like the view
Mon Lunch: Akershus
Mon Dinner: The Wave
Tues Dinner: La Hacienda at 8:15 to see Illuminations
Wed Dinner: Ohana
Thurs Dinner: Chef Mickey's

We live close by and do lots of day trips/weekend trips but this will be our first BIG trip staying on property!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #1220
bbak3030
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRabbit View Post

By the parking lot, do you mean to where you park your own car? Again, we were in Oak Manor, right where the AED mark is as you look at the map, facing the courtyard on the river side. We parked as the signs directed us to in the far side of the parking lot in between Oak Manor and Magnolia Terrace. It was an easy walk down the green paths on the map and through the breezeway to our room. Maybe it took 2-3 minutes?

We always took the direct bridge to the common area, not the one that passes the pool. The walk would take about 5 minutes over to the food court? There are doors on the river side that go straight into the food court area. I will admit that psychologically, it seems far-ish away...but I think this is just because it's on the other side of the river, KWIM?

We never used the East Depot. But I could see it easily from where we parked the car. For our room location, the main depot in the common areas was about the same distance. Honestly, we never walked straight to and from the bus depot to the room...we hit the food court first or we browsed in the gift shop. It was an easy walk though, 5-10 minutes.

If you have never stayed over in the Mansions area, I would recommend it! I honestly didn't tour through the AB area, but I loved all the different garden features in the Mansions area. The buildings are so interesting to me as well. And the RR really is fun. Some ladies were talking about their love of the fireworks on the headboard and I have to admit...I did too! I would hit them first thing and last thing every day and night!
Thanks for the reply! We are gonna give it a try!

Trip Report: Missing Mardi Gras to meet Anna and Elsa!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #1221
bbak3030
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harters2WDW View Post
Thanks for all the great info!! We returned after staying at POR from June 22-July 2. It was incredible. Thanks to venom hatch, building q17 was perfect. I faxed in our request a week before arrival and we got everything -- for all three parties! It was the perfect location for us-- we had a car and drove to all the parks. We loved the quiet pool right there and actually never made it to the big pool.

Everyone working there was incredible! We had some extra magic our first day as my parents arrived. We were looking to surprise my two DDs and my three DNs with their arrival. While we were in MK with my sister's family, my mom started talking to Zach, one of the front desk managers. They came up with this very elaborte plan. We got a call that we had a "package" at the front desk and both families needed to be there to pick it up at the front desk. When we arrived, one of the CMs with the Brazilian program greeted us and asked if we were looking for anything special. We said yes, a package. They sat down all the girls in the lobby. After a short wait, the CMs came out with green and purple balloons and then gave them to the girls along with special signed cards from he characters. They then gathered them around and said they had another gift for them, and gave them all stuffed Minnies (their idea to do this). Then, they said there was one last package and my parents walked it. It was incredible and totally the idea of the CMs working there. What a magic moment! Here's the rough video from my DH's phone: http://youtu.be/L05ky_Bm2G8

Of course, we then got on the boat to DTD and it stalled (trying to avoid another small boat) and crashed into a bridge and we had to be towed). A unique form of Disney transportation!

Pros for POR: Gorgeous! We were in Alligator Bayou and it always felt so serene. The CMs wee all great. POR is located close to a lot of the parks, resorts, etc. Even when it was full capacity at the end of our trip, it never felt that way. There was always a calm there. It was always a nice escape from a crazy park day. We would stay here again.

Cons for POR: Food court was always crazy and often very inefficient. Our first day, it took 90 minute for lunch -- and we didn't eat until 1. Just total inefficiencies. Boatwright's was good food, but we had a bad experience. Waited 30 minutes past our reservation time only to go to our table in a half full restaurant. Our server was very slow and unaccomodating. It was a two hour dinner and just painful. Food was good, but I wouldn't eat there again. Aso, one day we had mouse keeping come in, they left all our lights on and shades open (we had them closed). We had chargers and a few electronic accessories on the table, so they were in full sight until we returned at 11 p.m. We didn't have them come again. We just called for towels. All of these (other than the food court) seem circumstantial. We only complained about the mouse keeping because of the other great service and the special magic. Oh and storage in the room is not great, but you all know that already!

Great trip! Great resort!
What a wonderful surprise for the girls! I LOVE how they seemed to appreciate the "things", but obviously were the most excited to see their grandparents!

Trip Report: Missing Mardi Gras to meet Anna and Elsa!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #1222
spiritsim
DIS Veteran

POR Royal

we will do POR RR oct 10-20 2014 so anything you all want to clue me in on this resort would be great. So excited already!!

WDW Commando Member #241
First time in the world! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3134097
Old 07-10-2013, 03:13 AM   #1223
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritsim View Post
we will do POR RR oct 10-20 2014 so anything you all want to clue me in on this resort would be great. So excited already!!
I'd suggest reading the FAQ in the first post of this thread first as there's lots of general info in there, and also checking out www.portorleans.org for more detailed background stuff, and then start on some of other messages in this thread.

Then let us know what extra questions you've got, and we'll try to help. You've got plenty of time to plan at least!

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 07-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #1224
Miss C
Earning My Ears

Rapid Fill Mugs at POR?

Hi all! I just read about the new Rapid Fill Mugs that are supposed to begin soon. Does anybody know if POR will have this system in place by our trip at the beginning of August (5th-16th)?
TIA!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #1225
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss C
Hi all! I just read about the new Rapid Fill Mugs that are supposed to begin soon. Does anybody know if POR will have this system in place by our trip at the beginning of August (5th-16th)?
TIA!
You can check the sticky at the top of the page regarding refillable mugs; all info and posts are to go there.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #1226
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss C View Post
TIA!
Very much doubt it, they are starting with All Stars and haven't even done there yet. There's a busy thread on the subject here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3136664

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 07-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #1227
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

The 2014 rack and package rates are out now on the WDW USA website.

I've just compared a few sample dates this year vs. next year for POR. While the Standard room types actually don't seem to have changed at all, and Garden View goes up a few dollars, some other types have rocketed. e.g. in peak July, River View goes up from $254 this year to $279 next, and Pool View from $248 to $273 - that's $25 more expensive, or about a 10% increase.

Andre

Old 07-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #1228
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
The 2014 rack and package rates are out now on the WDW USA website.

I've just compared a few sample dates this year vs. next year for POR. While the Standard room types actually don't seem to have changed at all, and Garden View goes up a few dollars, some other types have rocketed. e.g. in peak July, River View goes up from $254 this year to $279 next, and Pool View from $248 to $273 - that's $25 more expensive, or about a 10% increase.

Andre
Well I thought I was going crazy when I was looking this morning at the 2014 rates with the differences in categories. It seems like preferred rooms are also more expensive for 2014. I wasn't sure if I was imagining things or if it was because we booked on a discount last year.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #1229
emilyhuff
Mouseketeer

I know ive already asked a couple questions, but you guys are so good at answering them!!!

Should a fax a room request before or after the 10-day prior online check-in?

TIA!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #1230
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyhuff View Post
Should a fax a room request before or after the 10-day prior online check-in?
See the advice in the FAQ in the first post. Other than in specific circumstances, I'd suggest faxing about 3-5 days out. If you want to do it, you should have done your online checkin BEFORE faxing though - up to 60 days out is fine.

Andre

Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: