Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #871
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
What you really want is ground floor, and that's part of the online checkin requests, and of course something you can mention in a fax.
Even though a fully Accessible room is not required, as it would still be a necessity to have a room on the ground floor - or at least without stairs - I would suggest faxing a few days before arrival to confirm (see first post) or contacting the Special Assistance line in advance.

Just leaving it to the routine requests system seems a bit risky - although I'm sure it could be sorted out at the front desk upon arrival anyway.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #872
Goofy22
DIS Veteran

We are staying here in August in a Royal Guest Room Garden View Room can anyone tell me what area these rooms are in ? If we should request a specific one if we want to be near main building or bus atop or main pool ? I have never stayed here before and have no idea where they are located . And lastly any suggestions for first timers at POR also our first moderate stay ! We have always done Values or DVC My son is amazed by this resort and the trip is for his 8th grade graduation and DD's Graduation from Cosmetology School
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #873
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy22 View Post
We are staying here in August in a Royal Guest Room Garden View Room can anyone tell me what area these rooms are in ?
The Garden View rooms are located all around the two Royal buildings (Oak Manor and Parterre Place) and basically give you an assurance that you won't get a parking lot view. See the FAQ and map in the first post for more details, or for lots more background on room locations and requests, try www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php.

The Royal buildings do contain some of the more remote rooms at the resort, but they also have some very nicely located ones too, next to a footbridge just across the river. If you want to try for a room "fairly close to the main buildings and main bus stop" just put in a request in those terms - it's better to let them know what you'd like from your room rather than just asking for a particular building, etc as they won't know your criteria.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 06-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #874
Goofy22
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for your suggestions
Old 06-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #875
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Even though a fully Accessible room is not required, as it would still be a necessity to have a room on the ground floor - or at least without stairs - I would suggest faxing a few days before arrival to confirm (see first post) or contacting the Special Assistance line in advance.

Just leaving it to the routine requests system seems a bit risky - although I'm sure it could be sorted out at the front desk upon arrival anyway.

Andre
Call back and tell them to add "ground floor required for medical reason", to your reservation. We are staying at Riverside also and do not need a handicapp room but need a ground floor for medical reasons close to handicap parking. It is noted on our reservations, and then when you do online check-in it will be hardcoded in your requests section. This had worked well for us on multiple trips.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #876
MeeskaMooskaMousektr
Earning My Ears

Royal Rooms with Pool View

Im sorry if this is rambling, and out of order... lots of questions my mind is swimming.

my last time at port Orleans riverside they were just updating to these new rooms. this year we are going for the free dining plan in September, we made the reservation for a Royal Room with pool view. We have stayed in the mansions once before, specifically The Magnolia building, and we have stayed in Alligator Bayou 3 times since then. We really enjoyed The alligator bayou rooms and we always seemed to be put close to the food court and lobby. I see now looking at the map that the royal rooms are only in Paterre and Oak, with only one pool between them. We really like having the smaller quiet pools and the ones in Alligator Bayou were never that crowded, we also prefer getting on the bus at the main stop at the lobby.

1) How far away do you think we will be from the food court? My father is getting up there in age and won't want to walk that far in the morning to get his coffee.

2) Do you think this area of the resort will be busy (especially because of the dining plan offer)? We are more used to being around the quieter pools at alligator bayou... it also seems more private over there...

We may just switch the rooms to regular pool views in alligator bayou and drop the royal room.

Opinion please!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #877
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMooskaMousektr View Post
Im sorry if this is rambling, and out of order... lots of questions my mind is swimming.
The Pool View Royal Rooms are the best located of any of the Royal Rooms in terms of their access to the main building and main bus stop, as they are all on the pool-facing side of Oak Manor (with a couple on the end of Partere Place) and so are some of the closest rooms to the bridge over to the main building. The walk from those rooms would be shorter than many of the regular Pool View rooms, and pretty much on a par with the AB Preferred Locations.

The quiet pools in Alligator Bayou (assuming you were placed there; don't forget regular rooms include the other two mansion buildings also) are a bit more secluded, but more commonly those rooms have longer walks back to the main areas (apart from the Pool View rooms in buildings 16 and 18 which are very nicely located if you can get them).

Also, you might not even be able to switch and still keep your Free Dining offer, you'd need to check to see what the availability is like. If you want to change, do it soon though before the categories sell out.

Personally, I think if you fancy the idea of the Royal Rooms and money is not an issue, I'd stick with what you've got booked.

Andre

Old 06-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #878
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMooskaMousektr View Post
my last time at port Orleans riverside they were just updating to these new rooms. this year we are going for the free dining plan in September, we made the reservation for a Royal Room with pool view. We have stayed in the mansions once before, specifically The Magnolia building
We stayed in Acadian, Magnolia and this last time we were in Royal Riverfront, Oak. I thought the walk was the same, maybe even closer. We took the 2nd foot bridge (the one that comes out next to the boat launch/reception) and I didn't think ti was any farther than when we stayed near the other bridge. I think you will be fine. The resort is beautiful. There is also a laundry right next to that quiet pool, so if you need to you can do some and swim! very convenient!

Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #879
Patience
DIS Veteran

Do the food court drink stations have any soda that is both diet and caffeine free? Caffeine free diet coke or sprite zero maybe?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #880
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Do the food court drink stations have any soda that is both diet and caffeine free? Caffeine free diet coke or sprite zero maybe?
They currently have:
  • Coca Cola
  • Diet Coke
  • Diet Coke, Caffine Free
  • Sprite
  • Fanta Orange
  • Coca Cola Cherry
  • Barq’s Root Beer
  • Hi-C Flashin’ Fruit Punch (still)
  • Minute Maid Light Lemonade (still)
  • Coca Cola Zero
  • Chilled Water
Andre

Old 06-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #881
Patience
DIS Veteran

Thank you, Andre. I can't have any caffeine right now and was hoping they had at least one caffeine free diet soda.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #882
bigmac5
DIS Veteran

and still on the topic of drink stations. I know they have reg coffee but do they have decaffeinated-I sometimes enjoy a coffee at night but don't want the caffeine
Old 06-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #883
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac5 View Post
and still on the topic of drink stations. I know they have reg coffee but do they have decaffeinated-I sometimes enjoy a coffee at night but don't want the caffeine
from portorleans.org

Tea (Various Tea Bags, plus Hot Water Dispenser)
Nescafe Coffee (or Decaf)
Hot Chocolate
Gold Peak Iced Tea: Sweetened Black Tea, Unsweetend Black Tea, White Tea with Citrus or Sweetened Green Tea

Old 06-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #884
bigmac5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTC View Post
from portorleans.org

Tea (Various Tea Bags, plus Hot Water Dispenser)
Nescafe Coffee (or Decaf)
Hot Chocolate
Gold Peak Iced Tea: Sweetened Black Tea, Unsweetend Black Tea, White Tea with Citrus or Sweetened Green Tea
Thank you and they all sound good
Old 06-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #885
Napria
It really *is* the Happiest Place!

I had heard they have iced coffees now too? Can anyone confirm?

Ft. Wilderness April 2015 Polynesian July 2013 Ft. Wilderness May 2012 Off property March 2012 Ft. Wilderness June 2011 Ft. Wilderness June 2009 Ocala Camping April 2008 Ft. Wilderness January 2007 Tropical Palms RV Resort December 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge & Beach Club Villas December 2003 Wilderness Lodge Villas December 2002 Boardwalk Villas December 2001 Ft. Wilderness February 1981
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: